PDA

View Full Version : How about this Mom?

Abbey Marie
02-16-2012, 04:22 PM
Mom is probably too lazy to walk around the block herself. Her kid is afraid of her, too.

Mom Faces Jail for Making Son Walk to School

<cite id="yui_3_3_0_1_1329427152603281" class="byline vcard">By Alyssa Newcomb
</cite>
An Arkansas mother is being charged with a misdemeanor count of endangering the welfare of a minor after she made her son walk 4.6 miles to school in order to "teach him a lesson."

Valerie Borders, 34, told police her 10-year-old son had been suspended from the bus for a week and she was making him walk to school as punishment.

A bank security guard spotted the boy walking alone in 30-degree weather on Monday and called police.
When the boy spoke to the responding officer, he told him: "Please don't take me home. Mother will beat me," the police report said.
The officer took the boy to his mother's workplace, only to be told she was on vacation. They found her at home, where she was cited for child endangerment.
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/mom-faces-jail-making-son-walk-school-232106412--abc-news.html

Jess
02-16-2012, 10:57 PM
That's tough - she seems to suck as a mom, but she may be all the kids has or knows.

Definitely not an appropriate punishment for the boy, especially considering the weather.

logroller
02-16-2012, 11:11 PM
That's tough - she seems to suck as a mom, but she may be all the kids has or knows.

Definitely not an appropriate punishment for the boy, especially considering the weather.

Ida know, kid's probably a piece of work-- he did get suspended from the bus after all. but, alternately, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree and mom shoulda kept him home then; not punished him with hypothermia-- THAT'LL TEACH HIM...and her as it turned out. Thankfully nobody was seriously hurt. Some much needed parenting classes later, hopefully they're all better for the experience...at least that's what I tell myself.:420:

PostmodernProphet
02-17-2012, 09:04 AM
she should have followed him in the car a hundred feet behind him, then they couldn't have charged her......

Jess
02-17-2012, 09:15 AM
she should have followed him in the car a hundred feet behind him, then they couldn't have charged her......

Nah. Some dummies would have charged her with stalking then. Or something equally ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Abbey Marie
02-17-2012, 09:19 AM
Why suspend a kid from the bus, and not from school at the same time?

logroller
02-17-2012, 11:47 AM
That's a good question. I'd guess the bus rules are more strict than school. Say, throwing a paper airplane or a ball of paper might get you kicked off the bus, but not school?

pegwinn
02-17-2012, 04:05 PM
Disclaimer: I didn't read the whole story.

Once upon a time I wasn't the mild mannered person y'all know and post with. In fact, as a kid, some referred to me as a (gasp) hoodlum. I was once kicked off the school bus but not out of school since the offense only occurred on the bus.

It was two miles, in winter, I walked. Dad told me it was my job to get to school and not his fault that I got kicked off the bus.

I guess times have changed somewhat.

ConHog
02-17-2012, 04:15 PM

Pretty common practice actually. Let the punishment fit the crime type deal.

Abbey Marie
02-17-2012, 05:13 PM
Pretty common practice actually. Let the punishment fit the crime type deal.

I asked because around here, the schools seem to believe that without a bus, certain demographic groups couldn't get to school.

pegwinn
02-17-2012, 05:36 PM
I asked because around here, the schools seem to believe that without a bus, certain demographic groups couldn't get to school.

Distance challenged? Or they just don't want to inconvienience the Moms in the better burbs?

No joke, when I was stationed in California some folks acted like a school bus was a Constitutional right.

ConHog
02-19-2012, 05:49 PM

Our school board pretty much would say that without a school bus a certain demographic WOULDN'T go to school. As I've said before , we have kids , and I'm talking middle school here not just high school, who get themselves up, get themselves ready, and get themselves on the bus for school. The parents certainly aren't going to go out of their way. In fact we HAVE had parents tell us that their kid wouldn't be coming to school if we suspended them from the bus, which of course negates the entire purpose of suspending them from the bus. We tell them do what you have to do, and we'll contact DHS if their child misses too many days of school. Sometimes they figure out how to get them to school, sometimes we have to call DHS.