PDA

View Full Version : First Career Jobs.....

Noir
02-16-2012, 06:15 PM
Today was a big day in the life of Jonathan!

For i've just downloaded and filled in my first career job application, to join the Northern Irish Prison Service. Up until now my jobs (of which there have only been two) were pay weekly and no real opportunity to advance (One being working in a fast food place and the other being to carry out surveys for the council).

However, this job is salaried and with a clear progression path (Which one of my Uncles spent his life on and is now in the realms of running his own prison in as much as you can in our system by being its governor) While I certainly don't have ambitions to go that far, nor do i see it as in any way a life career, tis exciting nonetheless. Here's just hoping i get past whatever criteria needed to get an interview.

Solly, do share, what was your first 'career job', did you stick with it or move to another, and do you see your current job as your job for life?

Thunderknuckles
02-16-2012, 06:32 PM
I worked my way up from being a mail boy at a fast food restaurant Corp. headquarters to joining their software development team. I have been in Information Technology ever since (about 15 years now).

RadiomanATL
02-16-2012, 06:59 PM

For i've just downloaded and filled in my first career job application, to join the Northern Irish Prison Service. Up until now my jobs (of which there have only been two) were pay weekly and no real opportunity to advance (One being working in a fast food place and the other being to carry out surveys for the council).

However, this job is salaried and with a clear progression path (Which one of my Uncles spent his life on and is now in the realms of running his own prison in as much as you can in our system by being its governor) While I certainly don't have ambitions to go that far, nor do i see it as in any way a life career, tis exciting nonetheless. Here's just hoping i get past whatever criteria needed to get an interview.

Solly, do share, what was your first 'career job', did you stick with it or move to another, and do you see your current job as your job for life?

Have been in commercial radio broadcasting for 18 years, since I was 17.

Looking currently to bail out though.

ConHog
02-16-2012, 07:05 PM

Well, my career was military, military police to be specific.

Good luck in the hunt to.

jimnyc
02-16-2012, 07:35 PM
Congrats, Jon!!

My first career oriented job was out of technical school, hooked me up with a job at a company that housed and performed all medical billing for doctors and hospitals throughout NY/NJ/CT. It was an IT job, but a bit of a different era as PC's weren't household items yet. I worked on DEC towers (Digital Equipment Corp), modems, multiplexors and other now antiquated crap. But it did start a decent career from there. Been through a few companies since then. A major law firm, Sony, Cadbury Schweppes, Snapple and a bunch of contract work.

Abbey Marie
02-16-2012, 08:22 PM
Good luck!

I had a lot of the standard crappy jobs to pay for college, etc.
First real "career" job was as a lawyer.

Jess
02-16-2012, 10:47 PM
Not sure if it's good our bad but I never had a real career job.

Started working for my father doing secretarial work out of the house and off the cuff when I was in high school. Did that for most of the next 20+ years.

Good luck, Noir. :)

SassyLady
02-16-2012, 11:59 PM
Good luck kiddo!

I was recruited out of high school to be admin assistant to VP of Tejon Ranch.

I've always been in management one way or another..running the company or advising the owner of the company..so yes, my first job is still what I do as my career. Ironically, my hourly pay when I owned my own company was more than my monthly pay for first job.

nadineB
02-17-2012, 02:58 AM
I work first as a Pharmacy Assistant, then promoted as a Cashier or sales clerk. It doesn't matter what your jb is as long as it is moral and legal. What is important most is that you love your career.

darin
02-17-2012, 05:54 AM
Congrats, Jon! Take your first Holiday here near Detroit! :D

The key isn't to love your job; it's to tolerate your job enough where you have the resources to love your life!

My career job didn't happen until I joined the military. That set the path for me to what I do now. Your job may be like that; those you meet in your career will lay the foundation for whatever it is you are when you get there. :)

Noir
02-17-2012, 08:14 AM
Something that *really* doesn't tick my tock about living in Northern Ireland is how many of the jobs vacancies I'm browsing that say this, or something similar...

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j176/jonathan-mcc/ec456e4a.jpg

Yay! My chances of getting a job are reduced because the employers care about if I believe in a god, and if so which one and with which church... I could understand if I was say applying for a job in a church or with a faith group, but, er, within the public services, what has it got to do with anything and why should my employability be hurt as a result?

Jess
02-17-2012, 08:18 AM
Something that *really* doesn't tick my tock about living in Northern Ireland is how many of the jobs vacancies I'm browsing that say this, or something similar...

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j176/jonathan-mcc/ec456e4a.jpg

Yay! My chances of getting a job are reduced because the employers care about if I believe in a god, and if so which one and with which church... I could understand if I was say applying for a job in a church or with a faith group, but, er, within the public services, what has it got to do with anything and why should my employability be hurt as a result?

Don't feel too bad, Noir. Around the Chicago area on construction jobs there has to be a certain number of hispanics, blacks and women. Even if they can't do the job, they still get hired ahead of white people/men who are more qualified for the job.

I say apply for the job, do it well and your religious bent won't matter. You'll just be a great employee.

Noir
02-22-2012, 03:03 PM
Don't feel too bad, Noir. Around the Chicago area on construction jobs there has to be a certain number of hispanics, blacks and women. Even if they can't do the job, they still get hired ahead of white people/men who are more qualified for the job.

I say apply for the job, do it well and your religious bent won't matter. You'll just be a great employee.

It's just so pointless, I'll never forget the the most awkward end to a job interview I ever had, for a computer store, why they cared I have no idea buuuut -

Interviewer: Are you a Protestant or a Catholic?
Me: Neither, I'm an atheist.
Interviewer:...but are you a protestant atheist or a catholic atheist?
Me: I'm just an atheist.
Interviewer: But what do you consider yourself to be?
Me: I consider myself -and indeed am- an atheist.
Interviewer: Culturally are you a Protestant or Catholic?
Me: I practise no cultures or customs of Christianity,
[knowing that I wasn't getting the job past this nonsense, I strayed for some humour atleast)
Me: is there not an option for Jewish?
Interviewer: Yes.
Me:Why didn't you say, I'm a cultural Jew.

The interviewer didn't so much as smile, but I'm sure I was out the door my application was in the bin. Quite what your religion (or lack of) has to do with selling computers idk, but such it life xD

Abbey Marie
02-22-2012, 03:06 PM
Next time, tell them you're a Protatholic. Really throw 'em :laugh:

ConHog
02-22-2012, 03:37 PM
It's just so pointless, I'll never forget the the most awkward end to a job interview I ever had, for a computer store, why they cared I have no idea buuuut -

Interviewer: Are you a Protestant or a Catholic?
Me: Neither, I'm an atheist.
Interviewer:...but are you a protestant atheist or a catholic atheist?
Me: I'm just an atheist.
Interviewer: But what do you consider yourself to be?
Me: I consider myself -and indeed am- an atheist.
Interviewer: Culturally are you a Protestant or Catholic?
Me: I practise no cultures or customs of Christianity,
[knowing that I wasn't getting the job past this nonsense, I strayed for some humour atleast)
Me: is there not an option for Jewish?
Interviewer: Yes.
Me:Why didn't you say, I'm a cultural Jew.

The interviewer didn't so much as smile, but I'm sure I was out the door my application was in the bin. Quite what your religion (or lack of) has to do with selling computers idk, but such it life xD

Weird, over here that can't be asked.

Well, I guess it can be asked, but it isn't supposed to be considered when hiring.

Noir
02-22-2012, 03:49 PM

Well, I guess it can be asked, but it isn't supposed to be considered when hiring.

Welcome to Northern Ireland, we're religion is king, and failure to be of the right religion can result in you missing out on jobs, verbal and physical abuse, and segregation like you wouldn't believe in a 1st World Country

Trigg
02-22-2012, 04:46 PM
I'd say come over here, but you'd be out the door since you're a straight white male. Too many of them around....sorry.....move along. NEXT!!!

Noir
02-22-2012, 04:58 PM
I'd say come over here, but you'd be out the door since you're a straight white male. Too many of them around....sorry.....move along. NEXT!!!

Pfffff, I'd happily say i was bi if I thought itd improve my chances of a job, I just wouldn't dare dirty my tounge by saying I was in anyway religious =P

Trigg
02-22-2012, 08:08 PM
Pfffff, I'd happily say i was bi if I thought itd improve my chances of a job, I just wouldn't dare dirty my tounge by saying I was in anyway religious =P

Well, if you were able to slip in that your great great grandad was hispanic you'd be on to something. They're not allowed to ask about sexual preferance, but you could wear a lot of pink to the interview. :)

DragonStryk72
02-23-2012, 03:24 PM

United States Navy. I went in straight out of High School. If my knees had started to go bad, I'd likely still be there, but oh well. Currently, I work as an Inventory Auditor, but I've nearly finished my first fantasy novel, right now sitting at 70,000 words, which I hope to make a career soon

fj1200
02-23-2012, 04:25 PM
United States Navy. I went in straight out of High School. If my knees had started to go bad, I'd likely still be there, but oh well. Currently, I work as an Inventory Auditor, but I've nearly finished my first fantasy novel, right now sitting at 70,000 words, which I hope to make a career soon

Very cool. What does 70,000 words equate to?

Abbey Marie
02-23-2012, 04:29 PM
Very cool. What does 70,000 words equate to?

Depends on font, page, etc, but ballpark I found:

<tbody>

<tbody>
For Arial, size 12, single spaced- 155.6 pages

</tbody>

</tbody>

DragonStryk72
02-23-2012, 05:37 PM
Well, most fantasy novels falls between 50-80,000 words, but mine is gonna be a bit longer than that when I'm done, to get an idea of actual length, it's about 250 words per page in your average book, so right now it sits at about 280 pages, though it'll end up being nearer to 400 or more when it's finished.

RadiomanATL
02-23-2012, 07:35 PM

Can't be asked either. In the eyes of a judge, the simple act of asking means that it will be considered.

Shadow
02-23-2012, 10:41 PM

Very cool. How long have you been writing it?