PDA

View Full Version : A Greek Governor......ATTABOY!

OCA
02-17-2012, 10:34 PM
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/17/10437521-nj-gov-christie-vetoes-same-sex-marriage-bill

logroller
02-17-2012, 11:15 PM
Logic, Facts-- its all 'Greek' to OCA :laugh2: Attaboy!:poke:
from wikipedia

Chris Christie was born in Newark, New Jersey, the son of Sondra A. (née Grasso) and Wilbur James "Bill" Christie, a certified public accountant.Christie is of Scottish, Irish, and Sicilian descent.

OCA
02-17-2012, 11:20 PM
Logic, Facts-- its all 'Greek' to OCA :laugh2: Attaboy!:poke:
from wikipedia

I saw that but it doesn't make sense. Don't know many Jersey Greeks but I think one of the major newscasts said he was Greek but his name was cut way down. His name in Greek would be Christos or Χριστος.

Oh well if i'm wrong i'm wrong but he stil gets an ATTABOY! Nice going Chris!

ConHog
02-17-2012, 11:40 PM
It would be cool to be named Χριστος , and I DO love gyros. :laugh2:

logroller
02-18-2012, 02:13 AM
It would be cool to be named Χριστος , and I DO love gyros. :laugh2:

Lamb meat ground up, cooked and and sliced to look like bacon..what's not to love?

OCA
02-18-2012, 08:54 AM
Lamb meat ground up, cooked and and sliced to look like bacon..what's not to love?

Not just lamb, combination of lamb and beef usually.................sometimes in Greece you get lamb, beef and pork together on the spit and its called "doner"...................its the shizzit!

Actually setting up the purchase of a whole lamb right now for Easter to put on the spit. You can't just go to Safeway and say "i'd like 1 whole lamb please":laugh2:

Gunny
02-18-2012, 10:33 AM
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/17/10437521-nj-gov-christie-vetoes-same-sex-marriage-bill

I feel sorry for his secretary. You Greeks ain't exactly secret about you love of the nether region.:laugh:

OCA
02-18-2012, 11:24 AM
I feel sorry for his secretary. You Greeks ain't exactly secret about you love of the nether region.:laugh:

Don't be jealous, maybe you are missing the boys back in the "patrida".:ssex:

logroller
02-18-2012, 11:36 AM
Not just lamb, combination of lamb and beef usually.................sometimes in Greece you get lamb, beef and pork together on the spit and its called "doner"...................its the shizzit!

Actually setting up the purchase of a whole lamb right now for Easter to put on the spit. You can't just go to Safeway and say "i'd like 1 whole lamb please":laugh2:

Oh. its a blend. That explains why mine never have the same flavor as those I get at the local Greek festival. Good to know. That's cool you cook on a spit; I think cultural cooking rituals are the best way to understand another culture--I'm redneck,(Dutch-Irish-Cherokee) so I'm all cooking tough/cheap meat for hours on the smoker-- which pretty much entails playing with fire and getting drunk. :2up:

I have a philosophy class and the professor is Greek; which, alone, is stereotypical enough. But in class one day she, upon hearing a classmate and I using a word, said, "You know, that's a Greek word,[whatever it was], it means [whatever it means].....SO THERE YOU ARE!" I looked at my classmate and said, dude have you seen my big fat Greek Wedding?, that's almost the exact line the dad uses-- freakin Hilarious. :laugh:

OCA
02-18-2012, 11:53 AM
Oh. its a blend. That explains why mine never have the same flavor as those I get at the local Greek festival. Good to know. That's cool you cook on a spit; I think cultural cooking rituals are the best way to understand another culture--I'm redneck,(Dutch-Irish-Cherokee) so I'm all cooking tough/cheap meat for hours on the smoker-- which pretty much entails playing with fire and getting drunk. :2up:

I have a philosophy class and the professor is Greek; which, alone, is stereotypical enough. But in class one day she, upon hearing a classmate and I using a word, said, "You know, that's a Greek word,[whatever it was], it means [whatever it means].....SO THERE YOU ARE!" I looked at my classmate and said, dude have you seen my big fat Greek Wedding?, that's almost the exact line the dad uses-- freakin Hilarious. :laugh:

Big Fat Greek Wedding was funny the first couple times I saw it bet then I realized it was making fun of us though.

Funny thing is though I know a few "FOBS" in real life who are exactly like some of the characters in the movie!

logroller
02-18-2012, 12:35 PM
Big Fat Greek Wedding was funny the first couple times I saw it bet then I realized it was making fun of us though.

Funny thing is though I know a few "FOBS" in real life who are exactly like some of the characters in the movie!

Well correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it written by a Greek-- so really, your people were making fun of themselves. Though I think its great when people retain their culture, analyze the different parts which aren't that unique singularly, but give a unique glance at how those intricacies interrelate when combined, making for a unique portrait of an individual faced with the amalgamation that is American culture. I mean, I'm Irish and Cherokee primarily-- and like to commune around fire, drinking beer and whiskey, smoking tobacco, getting into deep, sometimes heated discussions. Things some people make fun of, because that's not how their cultural upbringing was--but I'm unashamed of who I am and where I come from. Trying to piss off my balcony?, well, first off, I don't remember that, but I do like to pissing outside, its my native american roots:beer:

ConHog
02-18-2012, 01:40 PM

That's when having a brother in food wholesale comes in handy. He has a source for Gyro meat that is mixed lamb and beef, pretty fucking good, I grill mine on a rotisserie. Served with pitas and homemade tzatziki sauce. YUM.

OCA
02-18-2012, 02:12 PM
Well correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it written by a Greek-- so really, your people were making fun of themselves. Though I think its great when people retain their culture, analyze the different parts which aren't that unique singularly, but give a unique glance at how those intricacies interrelate when combined, making for a unique portrait of an individual faced with the amalgamation that is American culture. I mean, I'm Irish and Cherokee primarily-- and like to commune around fire, drinking beer and whiskey, smoking tobacco, getting into deep, sometimes heated discussions. Things some people make fun of, because that's not how their cultural upbringing was--but I'm unashamed of who I am and where I come from. Trying to piss off my balcony?, well, first off, I don't remember that, but I do like to pissing outside, its my native american roots:beer:

Yes it was, Nia Vardalos, a Canadian-Greek but she is about as "Greek" as I am Vietnamese. She was a guest of honor at a function 1 time and she tried to give the speech in Greek............totally fucking mangled it but you could tell in the movie that she wasn't a regular speaker.............kind of like me trying to say "como estas compadre"........no accent whatsoever.

She just went a little over the top in the movie thats all.

ConHog
02-18-2012, 02:14 PM
Yes it was, Nia Vardalos, a Canadian-Greek but she is about as "Greek" as I am Vietnamese. She was a guest of honor at a function 1 time and she tried to give the speech in Greek............totally fucking mangled it but you could tell in the movie that she wasn't a regular speaker.............kind of like me trying to say "como estas compadre"........no accent whatsoever.

She just went a little over the top in the movie thats all.

That of course was the intent. Sort of like all the "Italians" in The Godfather. :laugh:

OCA
02-18-2012, 02:16 PM
That of course was the intent. Sort of like all the "Italians" in The Godfather. :laugh:

The Godfather was a great flick but yeah it was over the top.

Goodfellas...............that shit wasn't over the top...................it was how it is. Not saying it represents all Italians but it was a straight shooter when it came to representing mob guineas.

ConHog
02-18-2012, 02:19 PM
The Godfather was a great flick but yeah it was over the top.

Goodfellas...............that shit wasn't over the top...................it was how it is. Not saying it represents all Italians but it was a straight shooter when it came to representing mob guineas.

Godfather wasn't a great flick it was THE great flick, but WAY over the top.

OCA
02-18-2012, 02:39 PM
Godfather wasn't a great flick it was THE great flick, but WAY over the top.

Depends on what genre you are talking about, if you are talking in general then yeah the Godfather from a movie making standpoint is about as good as it gets.

If you are talking mob movies it isn't even in the top 5, totally unrealistic.

ConHog
02-18-2012, 02:51 PM
Depends on what genre you are talking about, if you are talking in general then yeah the Godfather from a movie making standpoint is about as good as it gets.

If you are talking mob movies it isn't even in the top 5, totally unrealistic.

I'm just talking about as a movie. Not as a depiction of mob life.

jimnyc
02-19-2012, 10:28 AM
I don't care if Christie is a martian, I applaud his decision. Let the people decided rather than shitheads who ignore their constituents. :clap:

Abbey Marie
02-19-2012, 11:48 AM
I don't care if Christie is a martian, I applaud his decision. Let the people decided rather than shitheads who ignore their constituents. :clap:

And I love his reasoning- the people of NJ should get to decide.

OCA
02-19-2012, 01:09 PM
And I love his reasoning- the people of NJ should get to decide.

Yep, but then some liberal judge will decide its unconstitutional.

Prop. 8 in CA before it went to the 9th went to another appeals ccourt where it was ruled unconstitutional by, and get this, an openly queer judge..........and the 9th in its brief said they believed his lifestyle choice had nothing to do with his decision.

:laugh2:

logroller
02-19-2012, 01:22 PM
Yep, but then some liberal judge will decide its unconstitutional.

Prop. 8 in CA before it went to the 9th went to another appeals ccourt where it was ruled unconstitutional by, and get this, an openly queer judge..........and the 9th in its brief said they believed his lifestyle choice had nothing to do with his decision.

:laugh2:

The reason the 9th ruled prop 8 unconstitutional had nothing to do with rather gay marriage was const.; but rather, once its allowed, it was unconstitutional to revoke it--legalese gets confusing, but what Christy did, a veto, was/is constitutional. By vetoing the legislation, he prevented it from becoming law, and in so doing Christy prevented a situation similar to the one in CA. I say -- well played!

fj1200
02-19-2012, 04:02 PM
What are you guys going to do when a referendum is passed in favor of gay marriage and/or a conservative judges affirms it?

ConHog
02-19-2012, 04:06 PM
What are you guys going to do when a referendum is passed in favor of gay marriage and/or a conservative judges affirms it?

That's not my question. My question is what would they do if a fruity state like CA passed a referendum making heterosexual marriage illegal and a judge affirmed it?

There would be exactly ZERO difference between the people voting to make gay marriage illegal and the people voting to make straight marriage illegal. But I have a sneaking suspicion that the arguments would change in a hurry.

logroller
02-19-2012, 05:07 PM
Malign those parties as liberal activists.

ConHog
02-19-2012, 05:10 PM

Judicial activism is in the eye of the beholder. :laugh2:

jimnyc
02-19-2012, 05:28 PM

That's not my question. My question is what would they do if a fruity state like CA passed a referendum making heterosexual marriage illegal and a judge affirmed it?

There would be exactly ZERO difference between the people voting to make gay marriage illegal and the people voting to make straight marriage illegal. But I have a sneaking suspicion that the arguments would change in a hurry.

Judicial activism is in the eye of the beholder. :laugh2:

Speaking solely for myself, I would have no problem at all if a state ever did so. In this day and age, it ain't happening, but I wouldn't care if it did. That would just be a state I wouldn't be visiting any time soon. My argument wouldn't change in the slightest bit either. Good luck getting enough signatures or whatever is necessary to put the referendum at the balloting box. I truly don't see any state getting enough support to do so. Maybe Mass. or Cali, but if they did, so be it, 2 more states I won't be visiting!

ConHog
02-19-2012, 05:44 PM
Speaking solely for myself, I would have no problem at all if a state ever did so. In this day and age, it ain't happening, but I wouldn't care if it did. That would just be a state I wouldn't be visiting any time soon. My argument wouldn't change in the slightest bit either. Good luck getting enough signatures or whatever is necessary to put the referendum at the balloting box. I truly don't see any state getting enough support to do so. Maybe Mass. or Cali, but if they did, so be it, 2 more states I won't be visiting!

Okay, then let's extend it and say the whole country went crazy and wanted a law outlawing straight marriage? Now we've already established that the COTUS doesn't protect marriage and you've already established that you think it's a matter of choice, so what then? And of course it isn't likely to happen; that's the great thing about what ifs.

jimnyc
02-19-2012, 05:49 PM
Okay, then let's extend it and say the whole country went crazy and wanted a law outlawing straight marriage? Now we've already established that the COTUS doesn't protect marriage and you've already established that you think it's a matter of choice, so what then? And of course it isn't likely to happen; that's the great thing about what ifs.

Didn't like that I wouldn't fall into your scenario, so now you want to extend the ridiculous what ifs? LOL Ok, I'll bite again. First off, as stated in my last post, it ain't happening. But even if, and playing that game, then I guess I'm off to Australia where I've always wanted to live, or perhaps Canada.

But like you said, the entire country would need to go crazy for it to happen. But it's already happening against gay marriage and no one is going crazy.

But the peoples votes should count, whether in caucuses, primaries, general elections, referendums... And I would gladly walk away from an area/state/country that doesn't want me.

ConHog
02-19-2012, 06:00 PM
Didn't like that I wouldn't fall into your scenario, so now you want to extend the ridiculous what ifs? LOL Ok, I'll bite again. First off, as stated in my last post, it ain't happening. But even if, and playing that game, then I guess I'm off to Australia where I've always wanted to live, or perhaps Canada.

But like you said, the entire country would need to go crazy for it to happen. But it's already happening against gay marriage and no one is going crazy.

But the peoples votes should count, whether in caucuses, primaries, general elections, referendums... And I would gladly walk away from an area/state/country that doesn't want me.

First of all, Australia is awesome, but it isn't the US.

Second of all, going crazy is of course a matter of perspective. Many feel YOU are crazy for wanting to outlaw gay marriage.

Third of all , getting back to the issue of the people voting on banning gay marriage. Let me ask you, do you really believe government has ANY business being in marriage?

PS check the law in Australia, it's on a national level.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recognition_of_same-sex_unions_in_Australia

OCA
02-19-2012, 06:09 PM

Well, since its 29-0 in favor of banning when its put to a referendum I have no idea what I would do, just like I have no idea what i'd do if the sun rose in the west and set in the east.

I don't worry about things that never will happen.

jimnyc
02-19-2012, 06:09 PM
You gave the what ifs, I addressed them. If not Australia, there are many other places in the world to live. But I guarantee you I have better chances of coming across areas where gay marriage is outlawed and never come across an area where hetero marriage is outlawed. But even with your what ifs, I still stick with my original argument and I would still say that whatever state has the right to have a vote and let the people decide.

ConHog
02-19-2012, 06:15 PM
Well, since its 29-0 in favor of banning when its put to a referendum I have no idea what I would do, just like I have no idea what i'd do if the sun rose in the west and set in the east.

That's fine then OCA, let's switch gears and just say the majority vote to outlaw something that you enjoy but is none of their business. Would you object, or would you say "hey motherfucker, you don't have the right........."

We all know exactly what you would do. I couldn't care less if gays can get married. I COULD care less that the government stays out of ANYTHING that isn't their business. Marriage gay or straight included.

ConHog
02-19-2012, 06:16 PM
You gave the what ifs, I addressed them. If not Australia, there are many other places in the world to live. But I guarantee you I have better chances of coming across areas where gay marriage is outlawed and never come across an area where hetero marriage is outlawed. But even with your what ifs, I still stick with my original argument and I would still say that whatever state has the right to have a vote and let the people decide.

Well, I'll give you credit for keeping the same stance. Even if it does make you mr big government intervening in private lives. :laugh2:

OCA
02-19-2012, 06:21 PM
That's fine then OCA, let's switch gears and just say the majority vote to outlaw something that you enjoy but is none of their business. Would you object, or would you say "hey motherfucker, you don't have the right........."

We all know exactly what you would do. I couldn't care less if gays can get married. I COULD care less that the government stays out of ANYTHING that isn't their business. Marriage gay or straight included.

I'd still do it, just wouldn't ask for special rights because I do it.

See the difference?

ConHog
02-19-2012, 06:28 PM
I'd still do it, just wouldn't ask for special rights because I do it.

See the difference?

What special rights are they asking for? And please don't give me "the right to marry someone of the same sex" because if the law were changed a straight person would also be able to marry a person of the same sex, so that's not a special anything.

How does a gay getting married affect you? I mean I think fat people shouldn't be eating at buffets either, but I don't think the government has a right to intervene.

OCA
02-19-2012, 06:33 PM
What special rights are they asking for? And please don't give me "the right to marry someone of the same sex" because if the law were changed a straight person would also be able to marry a person of the same sex, so that's not a special anything.

How does a gay getting married affect you? I mean I think fat people shouldn't be eating at buffets either, but I don't think the government has a right to intervene.

Right is right and wrong is wrong, its as simple as that. Not a matter of "affect".

ConHog
02-19-2012, 06:38 PM
Right is right and wrong is wrong, its as simple as that. Not a matter of "affect".

We don't make our laws based on right and wrong OCA and you know that. We make our laws based on does such behavior affect other people without their consent.

IF we made our laws based on right and wrong, then gay sex itself would be illegal.

OCA
02-19-2012, 06:43 PM
We don't make our laws based on right and wrong OCA and you know that. We make our laws based on does such behavior affect other people without their consent.

IF we made our laws based on right and wrong, then gay sex itself would be illegal.

You sure? I'm sure that is what they thought when they wrote murder into the penal code "how does it affect others?"

ConHog
02-19-2012, 06:45 PM
You sure? I'm sure that is what they thought when they wrote murder into the penal code "how does it affect others?"

I sure would say that murder negatively affects the person murdered , wouldn't you?

OCA
02-19-2012, 06:57 PM
I sure would say that murder negatively affects the person murdered , wouldn't you?

Our laws are based upon the Ten Commandments, who it affects isn't the overriding thought.

ConHog
02-19-2012, 07:02 PM
Our laws are based upon the Ten Commandments, who it affects isn't the overriding thought.

Our laws are most certainly NOT based on the ten commandments sir.

Where is the law about only worshiping God? Oh that's right.

jimnyc
02-19-2012, 07:03 PM
Well, I'll give you credit for keeping the same stance. Even if it does make you mr big government intervening in private lives. :laugh2:

That's retarded. I said let the people vote and decide. That's the people deciding, not "big government".

ConHog
02-19-2012, 07:05 PM
That's retarded. I said let the people vote and decide. That's the people deciding, not "big government".

You do realize that when the people vote and decide on something it is in fact big government that implements and enforces whatever they voted on right?

jimnyc
02-19-2012, 07:10 PM
You do realize that when the people vote and decide on something it is in fact big government that implements and enforces whatever they voted on right?

So you want a world where nothing is implemented and there is no enforcement? Or maybe no laws, therefore no enforcement? Either way, it's ridiculous. Being against gay marriage and thinking it's a matter for the states, and a matter for the people in those states, does not mean that person is a proponent of big government. No different than you being for gay marriage. Do you think it doesn't require implementation and enforcement for that way too? Your statement doesn't make much sense in this situation.

ConHog
02-19-2012, 07:15 PM
So you want a world where nothing is implemented and there is no enforcement? Or maybe no laws, therefore no enforcement? Either way, it's ridiculous. Being against gay marriage and thinking it's a matter for the states, and a matter for the people in those states, does not mean that person is a proponent of big government. No different than you being for gay marriage. Do you think it doesn't require implementation and enforcement for that way too? Your statement doesn't make much sense in this situation.

Jim I am for the government getting COMPLETELY out of marriage. I'm not for them enforcing shit in regards to marriage. I think it's NONE of their business and should be left to churches. If you don't go to church I have no fucking idea why you would even care about being married, just live together and everything is all good.

I guess I AM pro making the government provide any such benefits as might be earned via contract whether a person is married or not, but that's another matter entirely.

On the subject of MARRIAGE I don't believe there should be ANY laws. You're right about that.

Abbey Marie
02-19-2012, 09:23 PM

Actually, various sex acts used to be illegal, and in some states some still are. And yes, those laws were based on right and wrong. The difference is that our concept of what is right or wrong has changed in some ways, and what we are willing to enforce has def. changed.

ConHog
02-19-2012, 09:32 PM
Actually, various sex acts used to be illegal, and in some states some still are. And yes, those laws were based on right and wrong. The difference is that our concept of what is right or wrong has changed in some ways, and what we are willing to enforce has def. changed.

you are of course right about that, but at one time slavery WAS legal and I don't think ANY of us would argue that that was right. So I think we can make an argument that changes in laws have been both good and bad as far as the end results go, but the changes have not always been based on a loosening of our moral code.

I just dislike the idea of legislating morals because no matter how slim the possibility we always have to guard against the possibility that the majority will suddenly favor a moral code that disagrees with our own.

logroller
02-19-2012, 09:55 PM
What????

So that law about not establishing a religion was based on the Ten Commandments?
Our laws are rules based on limiting how others may affect another. The ten commandments are based on rules based on virtues. Terribly disappointing you don't know the difference.

fj1200
02-20-2012, 10:47 AM

The Patriots were the greatest team ever until they were 18 and 1. But either way surely you recognize that some state legislatures will grant gay marriage and the people will not demand a referendum on the matter; at that point your statistic becomes meaningless.

fj1200
02-20-2012, 10:57 AM

Many people are against big government until the government enforces their version of right and wrong.

By my count about 30% of the 10 are currently codified.

I believe CH's position, and mine, is the removal of government ratification, not government enforcement of interpersonal relationships. It's completely consistent IMO.

ConHog
02-20-2012, 12:16 PM
Many people are against big government until the government enforces their version of right and wrong.

By my count about 30% of the 10 are currently codified.

I believe CH's position, and mine, is the removal of government ratification, not government enforcement of interpersonal relationships. It's completely consistent IMO.

Dead on