PDA

View Full Version : Still sore

CSM
02-29-2012, 10:37 AM
In the middle of week 20 (I know, who's counting?) and did a cross fit METCON yesterday. Feeling it today for sure but the good thing is I completed 5 sets in 6 minutes and 17 secs. Did the same METCON about two months ago at 17 minutes plus. I guess I am getting better!

jimnyc
02-29-2012, 10:42 AM
Good for you for sticking with it! Do you ever use a sauna? I sit in there for 15-20mins after most workouts and it has done wonders for my sore muscles! That and hot baths have cured a lot of that for me. But if your workout is REAL intense, you're not going to avoid the suffering!

CSM
02-29-2012, 10:59 AM
Good for you for sticking with it! Do you ever use a sauna? I sit in there for 15-20mins after most workouts and it has done wonders for my sore muscles! That and hot baths have cured a lot of that for me. But if your workout is REAL intense, you're not going to avoid the suffering!

I have not tried that. Hot showers do seem to help. My problem is that at my age it's difficult to tell what is due to workout and what is due to old age.... heh.

Nukeman
02-29-2012, 12:23 PM
For a mix up try the 300 workout, the goal is under 20 minutes, my best time was 18:25. i havent done it in a while but am working my back up to it.

Start with
25 pullups
50 push ups
50 deadlift with 135lbs
50 wipers ( lay on the ground with the deadlift bar and "bench" it hold it and bring your feet up together and "wipe side to side" to each weight plate.
50 clean and press with kettle bells each arm (40 lbs)
50 24 inch jumps
25 pullups

Its a bitch to do but I tell you, you will feel great in about 3-4 days.....:laugh:

Fist time I tried it it took me 45 minutes, its a full body workout that really keeps you hopping!!!

jimnyc
02-29-2012, 01:38 PM
For a mix up try the 300 workout, the goal is under 20 minutes, my best time was 18:25. i havent done it in a while but am working my back up to it.

Start with
25 pullups
50 push ups
50 deadlift with 135lbs
50 wipers ( lay on the ground with the deadlift bar and "bench" it hold it and bring your feet up together and "wipe side to side" to each weight plate.
50 24 inch jumps
25 pullups

Its a bitch to do but I tell you, you will feel great in about 3-4 days.....:laugh:

Fist time I tried it it took me 45 minutes, its a full body workout that really keeps you hopping!!!

Wow, that's a hell of a workout! I think I'd end up in the hospital! LOL

Gunny
03-01-2012, 06:46 AM

Start with
25 pullups
50 push ups
50 deadlift with 135lbs
50 24 inch jumps
25 pullups

Hmmm .... I might five that one a shot. Problem you have with old vets are a "few" injuries that have to be worked around. 24 inch jumps are OUT. I'd sure enough have to get that knee surgery.:laugh: I'm not thinking the deadlifts are all that great an idea either. One, most people of "advanced age" already have back issues.

I don't. However, I DO know from years of powerlifting, to NEVER mix deadlifts and clean and press's.

Overall though, it appears quite the formidable workout.

CSM
03-01-2012, 06:55 AM
Hmmm .... I might five that one a shot. Problem you have with old vets are a "few" injuries that have to be worked around. 24 inch jumps are OUT. I'd sure enough have to get that knee surgery.:laugh: I'm not thinking the deadlifts are all that great an idea either. One, most people of "advanced age" already have back issues.

I don't. However, I DO know from years of powerlifting, to NEVER mix deadlifts and clean and press's.

Overall though, it appears quite the formidable workout.

Yeah, I have to work around a few of the cross fit exercises because of old injuries. I just do what I can and don't worry about it since I am not looking for competition with anyone but myself.

Gunny
03-01-2012, 06:58 AM
Yeah, I have to work around a few of the cross fit exercises because of old injuries. I just do what I can and don't worry about it since I am not looking for competition with anyone but myself.

I saw some Crossfit Challenge or some such show on ESPN one night. I actually enjoyed it. While not believable for the average joe, it was STILL more believable than World's Strongest Man. I like that one too, but it's a bit over the top.

So where did you come up with Crossfit training workouts?

Gunny
03-01-2012, 07:17 AM
MY little workout, if relegated to one would be: Situps - 5 sets x 100. Run 3 miles. 10 sets of barbell clean and press x 7 reps. Martial arts for 30-60 minutes. If you're REALLY lucky, an hour or 2 playing full-court basketball.

This of course would be the opportune moment to play All In the Family's "Those Were the Days". Alternating different weight training from the clean and press, I did that every day more or less for over 15 years. I'd probably need a Hoveround if I tried it now. :laugh:

CSM
03-01-2012, 07:17 AM
I saw some Crossfit Challenge or some such show on ESPN one night. I actually enjoyed it. While not believable for the average joe, it was STILL more believable than World's Strongest Man. I like that one too, but it's a bit over the top.

So where did you come up with Crossfit training workouts?

http://crossfit.com/

I am a beginner for sure and have to modify a few because of age/injuries but am getting to really like the workouts. Great cardio and my stamina is far better.

Gunny
03-01-2012, 07:21 AM
http://crossfit.com/

I am a beginner for sure and have to modify a few because of age/injuries but am getting to really like the workouts. Great cardio and my stamina is far better.

Heh ... I get my stamina "ego boost" working with a 70 years old man.:laugh: Unfortunately, I also at times work with Jess's sister. She could shame most recruits. I have to EARN my money those days.

I did like the Crossfit competition though. Especially since the guy I was rooting for won!

CSM
03-01-2012, 07:30 AM
Heh ... I get my stamina "ego boost" working with a 70 years old man.:laugh: Unfortunately, I also at times work with Jess's sister. She could shame most recruits. I have to EARN my money those days.

I did like the Crossfit competition though. Especially since the guy I was rooting for won!

My son the First Sergeant got me into it. He's a beast. His younger brother is even more of a beast. We work out together when we can which usually translates into five or six days a week at the gym. Monday is upper body strength training, Wedensday is Olympic lifts and Friday is lower body strength training. Tuesday and Saturday is crossfit. Thursday and Sunday is off days. I am not a runner but once in a while try the two miles for time .... I am slow but steady LOL.
I sit at a computer all day so ANY exercise is nothing but good for me. I want to have enough strength to put my walker in the car when I get to that point!

Gunny
03-01-2012, 07:40 AM
My son the First Sergeant got me into it. He's a beast. His younger brother is even more of a beast. We work out together when we can which usually translates into five or six days a week at the gym. Monday is upper body strength training, Wedensday is Olympic lifts and Friday is lower body strength training. Tuesday and Saturday is crossfit. Thursday and Sunday is off days. I am not a runner but once in a while try the two miles for time .... I am slow but steady LOL.
I sit at a computer all day so ANY exercise is nothing but good for me. I want to have enough strength to put my walker in the car when I get to that point!

Ah. You touched upon something I was just pondering a few minutes ago. I usually work 3 days a week, but it's manual labor. I have to factor that in to what I do the day before. I can vividly recall the day I did my clean and press workout on Tuesday, and spent Wed carrying two Homer buckets filled with plaster and other assorted debris about 75 feet from the basement window to the trailer. Fortunately, I was working for the aforementioned old guy, and he caved first.:laugh:

The hardest part for me to get him and Jess to do was NOT load the damned bucket to the brim. It was funny enough watching them screw up lifting them into the window, but then, I had to carry the damned things. I figure I did okay. Two of them and I kept up. But it wasn't fun. I just refused to fall behind or lose.

Still have my moments.

As far as workouts go, I have about 600 lbs of Olympic weights. In storage in Texas. What I have now is maybe 200 lbs of weights Jess's sister had stored in her corn crib for years. I'm making do with what I have until I can come up with more. My pullup bar is an old weight bar across the rafters in the garage, secured in place by deck screws on each side of the bar. :laugh:

CSM
03-01-2012, 07:47 AM
Ah. You touched upon something I was just pondering a few minutes ago. I usually work 3 days a week, but it's manual labor. I have to factor that in to what I do the day before. I can vividly recall the day I did my clean and press workout on Tuesday, and spent Wed carrying two Homer buckets filled with plaster and other assorted debris about 75 feet from the basement window to the trailer. Fortunately, I was working for the aforementioned old guy, and he caved first.:laugh:

The hardest part for me to get him and Jess to do was NOT load the damned bucket to the brim. It was funny enough watching them screw up lifting them into the window, but then, I had to carry the damned things. I figure I did okay. Two of them and I kept up. But it wasn't fun. I just refused to fall behind or lose.

Still have my moments.

As far as workouts go, I have about 600 lbs of Olympic weights. In storage in Texas. What I have now is maybe 200 lbs of weights Jess's sister had stored in her corn crib for years. I'm making do with what I have until I can come up with more. My pullup bar is an old weight bar across the rafters in the garage, secured in place by deck screws on each side of the bar. :laugh:

Hey it works for you doesn't it? I joined a gym for $20 a month. Had treadmills and home gyms and all that crap but they just collected clothes. This time I was determined to make it work so I joined a gym close to home because it forces me to get off my fat ass. I go right after work on my way home. It's too easy for me to get lazy at home. Having said that, one of the reasons I am liking the crossfit is that I don't have to be in the gym to do it. Once spring hits, I will be spending weekends on my boat and can do crossfit at the park 100 yards from the marina.

Gunny
03-01-2012, 08:04 AM
Hey it works for you doesn't it? I joined a gym for $20 a month. Had treadmills and home gyms and all that crap but they just collected clothes. This time I was determined to make it work so I joined a gym close to home because it forces me to get off my fat ass. I go right after work on my way home. It's too easy for me to get lazy at home. Having said that, one of the reasons I am liking the crossfit is that I don't have to be in the gym to do it. Once spring hits, I will be spending weekends on my boat and can do crossfit at the park 100 yards from the marina.

Last time I used a gym other than home, I was deployed. I was just glad the MEU Commander was a bigger fitness nu than I am. We called hn "the Duke". He was me with power. Heaven forbid. Anyway, here we are on a rolling ship. No I'm 5'10 200 lbs. The Duke was about 6'4", 250. I cranked 345 on the bench press. He shows up out of nowhere and says, " not bad for an old man, Gunny". Then proceeds to warm up with my weight. He did 8 reps with 345. I was like, "asshole". And he was older than I was.

I insulted my CO when I retired because I had the Duke haul his ass up from San Diego to retire me. I was like, why do I want someone I haven't deployed and served with retire me?

CSM
03-01-2012, 08:09 AM
Last time I used a gym other than home, I was deployed. I was just glad the MEU Commander was a bigger fitness nu than I am. We called hn "the Duke". He was me with power. Heaven forbid. Anyway, here we are on a rolling ship. No I'm 5'10 200 lbs. The Duke was about 6'4", 250. I cranked 345 on the bench press. He shows up out of nowhere and says, " not bad for an old man, Gunny". Then proceeds to warm up with my weight. He did 8 reps with 345. I was like, "asshole". And he was older than I was.

I insulted my CO when I retired because I had the Duke haul his ass up from San Diego to retire me. I was like, why do I want someone I haven't deployed and served with retire me?

Heh heh. Nothing wrong with having someone you respect and admire do the honors. My kids throw the weights around like toys. I am a bit competitive and have to remind myself constantly that I don't have to match or beat them at ANYTHING. I am soing this for ME. I will say that I don't see a lot of guys my age at the gym. The ones I do see are treadmill monkeys mostly. The only person impressed with the amount of weights I use is me and that's good enough.

Gunny
03-01-2012, 08:54 AM
Heh heh. Nothing wrong with having someone you respect and admire do the honors. My kids throw the weights around like toys. I am a bit competitive and have to remind myself constantly that I don't have to match or beat them at ANYTHING. I am soing this for ME. I will say that I don't see a lot of guys my age at the gym. The ones I do see are treadmill monkeys mostly. The only person impressed with the amount of weights I use is me and that's good enough.

Understand. The only person I EVER cared about outlifting was me.

Gunny
03-01-2012, 09:51 PM
Okay, while we're at it, jet's try THIS one ...

Clean and press 165 x 1 x10 supersetted with 10 hanging leg raises between sets. If you get all 100 of the hanging leg raises, let me know. You got better abs than me!:laugh:

CSM
03-02-2012, 06:32 AM
Okay, while we're at it, jet's try THIS one ...

Clean and press 165 x 1 x10 supersetted with 10 hanging leg raises between sets. If you get all 100 of the hanging leg raises, let me know. You got better abs than me!:laugh:

It's bad enough that my kids are trying to do me in with this stuff and now you gotta pilke on? I can tell you right now my kid aren't gonna share all my stuff they get when I kick the bucket so yyou must be doing this out of pure meanness! LOL!

Gunny
03-02-2012, 08:22 AM
It's bad enough that my kids are trying to do me in with this stuff and now you gotta pilke on? I can tell you right now my kid aren't gonna share all my stuff they get when I kick the bucket so yyou must be doing this out of pure meanness! LOL!

Actually that was yesterday's workout. And in my gym rat prime I never got all 100 of the hanging leg raises. About 90 is best I've ever done. I COULD, however, do 10 sets x 1 rep with 200 at one time. Old age is a bitch.:laugh: I've slacked back down to STILL twice what most folks can lift.:laugh:

Jess
03-02-2012, 09:09 AM
Actually that was yesterday's workout. And in my gym rat prime I never got all 100 of the hanging leg raises. About 90 is best I've ever done. I COULD, however, do 10 sets x 1 rep with 200 at one time. Old age is a bitch.:laugh: I've slacked back down to STILL twice what most folks can lift.:laugh:

Good thing you have a personal masseuse, hmmm slacker?

Gunny
03-02-2012, 09:13 AM
Good thing you have a personal masseuse, hmmm slacker?

The slacker would be my masseuese. She apparently wasn't all that interested last night.

Jess
03-02-2012, 09:21 AM
The slacker would be my masseuese. She apparently wasn't all that interested last night.

She was apparently tired from cleaning a 4 bedroom, 3 bath, plus all the other rooms house in less than 5 hours. Weird how that physical labor would have such an effect. :rolleyes:

Gunny
03-02-2012, 10:13 AM
She was apparently tired from cleaning a 4 bedroom, 3 bath, plus all the other rooms house in less than 5 hours. Weird how that physical labor would have such an effect. :rolleyes:

Slacker.

Gunny
03-02-2012, 10:15 AM

Start with
25 pullups
50 push ups
50 deadlift with 135lbs
50 24 inch jumps
25 pullups

Still trying to schedule the post workout traction from attempting this workout. When I havea clear 2 weeks, I'm going to try it.:laugh:

Jess
03-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Slacker.

Care to put your money where your mouth is, dearest?

You can clean it next time, within the time constraints, up to MY standards and you keep the check.

gabosaurus
03-02-2012, 02:34 PM
There is one workout that has never failed to keep people in shape. It has been successful since the beginning of civilization.
It's called "having small children." :laugh:

gabosaurus
03-02-2012, 02:36 PM
Care to put your money where your mouth is, dearest?

You can clean it next time, within the time constraints, up to MY standards and you keep the check.

Jess, I can tell you how to win any argument with any male at any time. It never fails.
Keep your pants on. :cool:

Jess
03-02-2012, 08:21 PM
There is one workout that has never failed to keep people in shape. It has been successful since the beginning of civilization.
It's called "having small children." :laugh:

Hmmm ... the only problem with that, Gabby, is that it's not necessarily the right kind of excercise, for the correct duration. Yep - them little buggers wear us out but it's not usually as much cardio as we need.

Working one's butt off to support themselves and their kids on their own will get one ripped and stripped, though. BT, DT.

Jess
03-02-2012, 08:22 PM
Jess, I can tell you how to win any argument with any male at any time. It never fails.
Keep your pants on. :cool:

Meh - it depends on the circumstances and the occasion.

I can win pretty much any argument by removing his pants, for sure. And he'll be more than happy to lose the argument, btw. :cool: