PDA

View Full Version : 1% tip turns out to be complete hoax

Little-Acorn
03-01-2012, 07:47 PM
Once again the rule proves true: If you hear or see something that makes a wealthy person look bad, especially in a "conservative" profession like banking, investigate it carefully before believing. It'll usually turn out to be another leftist lie.

-------------------------------------

Video: The 1% tip hoax
posted at 9:50 am on February 28, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

The story was too good to be true. A wealthy banker runs up a three-figure bill, only tips 1% (!), and writes a note to the server to “get a real job” as a parting insult. CNN, Huffington Post, and other media outlets ran with the story of the arrogant banker and his miserly recompense to the help. There was only one thing wrong — it really was too good to be true.

The post set off a hailstorm of online comments that touched on the 1% vs. 99% class warfare embodied by the Occupy movement.

HuffPo later posted a statement from the restaurant that said that the photo had been “altered and exaggerated.” How exaggerated? Well, according to the local CBS affiliate — who actually asked the restaurant about the bill — the meal was just over $30 instead of $133, the tip was 20% and not 1%, and the customer didn’t write any note to the server on the bill. “Exaggerated” in this case serves as a synonym for “flat-out lie.”

Then again, without a lot of flat-out lies, where would the Occupy movement be?

See video at: http://hotair.com/archives/2012/02/28/video-the-1-tip-hoax/

Missileman
03-01-2012, 08:20 PM
Dan Rather would argue that the story is still true even if the document is a forgery.

Abbey Marie
03-01-2012, 08:20 PM
What can we do when the media will do anything to pursue their agenda? I believe most people aren't very savvy and eat these lies up. :( :dunno:

Little-Acorn
03-01-2012, 08:33 PM
What can we do when the media will do anything to pursue their agenda?

Stop buying their newspapers and watching their TV shows.

As has been happening steadily for the last 7-10 years.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/481266-Fox_News_Doubles_Down_on_CNN_MSNBC_in_February_Rat ings.php

Noir
03-01-2012, 09:24 PM
What can we do when the media will do anything to pursue their agenda? I believe most people aren't very savvy and eat these lies up. :( :dunno:

In what way 'aren't very savy?

Little-Acorn
03-01-2012, 09:34 PM

They believe liberals.

DragonStryk72
03-02-2012, 05:57 AM

He means they aren't engaging their brains when they see these sorts of articles, which given the feedback for the article I've seen, is a valid point in this instance. Numerous people have jumped up and down about how it doesn't matter that the article is a complete hoax, because "it happens all the time".

1) The very fact that someone doing something like this would stand out is because it doesn't happen all the time. The whole point of news is to report the occurrences that are outside the norm, whether good or ill.

2) Rich people generally tip well. I say this having spent years in and about restaurants. I know plenty of waitresses, and trust me, they love getting the rich folks at their table, cause they know that as long as they're on point, they've got a solid tip coming to them, whether by card or cash.

3) Hoaxes like these diminish the very message they are trying to encourage, and it isn't hard to see why. When Al Gore inflated the numbers in An Inconvenient Truth, it diminished the original findings as well, because people went, "Well, you were willing to lie once, you're willing to lie twice."