PDA

View Full Version : Question Regarding Catholics and Contraceptives

Noir
03-01-2012, 10:07 PM
Since its the talk of the day in some sense, may aswell skew this in as i've wondered about it before -

Obviously Catholics and contraceptives are a no-go (at least in principle) but i was wondering is their a specific doctrine/code around contraceptives being used not primarily as contraceptives?

I've known a few girls who are on pills/injections to stop periods because the periods themselves are sever, so what exactly is the church line (assuming there are catholics here who'd know it) on using such contraceptives?

logroller
03-01-2012, 11:06 PM
Since its the talk of the day in some sense, may aswell skew this in as i've wondered about it before -

Obviously Catholics and contraceptives are a no-go (at least in principle) but i was wondering is their a specific doctrine/code around contraceptives being used not primarily as contraceptives?

I've known a few girls who are on pills/injections to stop periods because the periods themselves are sever, so what exactly is the church line (assuming there are catholics here who'd know it) on using such contraceptives?
Eve shouldn't have listened to that snake. :poke:

DragonStryk72
03-02-2012, 05:45 AM

Generally, the church makes exceptions where personal health and safety are the issue, also the reason why the church is alright with abortions where the mother is at risk of death if she continues the pregnancy. They're not trying to make people suffer, but they do feel that contraceptives are wrong. I sort of disagree on the biblical passage they use for this, as I think they took the wrong meaning away from it, but that's another discussion.

LiberalNation
03-02-2012, 06:45 AM
It's a dumb rule almost no one actually follows. That about covers it.

Gunny
03-02-2012, 09:10 AM
It's a dumb rule almost no one actually follows. That about covers it.

Another broad, sweeping assumptive generalization from you. Say it ain't so.:cuckoo:

Noir
03-02-2012, 09:33 AM
Another broad, sweeping assumptive generalization from you. Say it ain't so.:cuckoo:

But when you looked up the poll data, didn't you find a fair few surveys that bob around the 83% mark of Catholics using contraception, Which is in line with non-Catholics? You did look, before making your sweeping remarks about LNs sweeping remarks, yes?

Gunny
03-02-2012, 10:10 AM
But when you looked up the poll data, didn't you find a fair few surveys that bob around the 83% mark of Catholics using contraception, Which is in line with non-Catholics? You did look, before making your sweeping remarks about LNs sweeping remarks, yes?

I really don't care what Catholics think about contraception. I find poll data even less interesting, and mostly discount poll results as being manufactured by the pollsters. If I pick 10 catholics and word the question correctly, I can get 80% of whatever answer I want.

The fact is, the Catholic Church, as an entity, does not believe in nor condone the use of contraception. Period. End of story. Baptists don't believe in smoking, drinking and dancing and I freely engage in all 3.

The church's doctrine and what I DO are two, completely separate matters. Get it yet?

Noir
03-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Baptists don't believe in smoking, drinking and dancing and I freely engage in all 3.

The church's doctrine and what I DO are two, completely separate matters. Get it yet?

Okay, I get it, you don't take your church seriously.

Wind Song
03-02-2012, 01:19 PM
Eve shouldn't have listened to that snake. :poke:

God shouldn't have taken Adam's rib. He should have left him alone to go fuck himself.

jimnyc
03-02-2012, 02:54 PM
God shouldn't have taken Adam's rib. He should have left him alone to go fuck himself.

That's what I say we should do with queers.

jimnyc
03-02-2012, 03:11 PM

Sounds to me like you answered your own question.

logroller
03-02-2012, 03:12 PM
Right, blame God; That's what Adam did. Because God gave us the capacity to reason and implement free-choice. Obviously the government and employers are trying to right God's errant behavior.

Wind Song
03-02-2012, 05:12 PM
Right, blame God; That's what Adam did. Because God gave us the capacity to reason and implement free-choice. Obviously the government and employers are trying to right God's errant behavior.

It was a joke.

logroller
03-02-2012, 06:30 PM
It was a joke.
So are these policies; I wasn't being sarcastic. People are shirking their responsibilities; in thinking that putting the tree of knowledge there tacitly implies we should eat from it-- govt, and employers, they give us what theythink we need, threby placing passive restrictions to our doing so for ourself. Its an absurd practice; which shall only end in with ineptitude and resentment.