PDA

View Full Version : Sexual Misconduct in Buddhism

Wind Song
03-03-2012, 10:41 AM
Buddhists don't have "commandments" we have precepts for conduct. Here is the one on sexual misconduct:

"Aware of the suffering caused by sexual misconduct, I undertake to cultivate responsibility and learn ways to protect the safety and integrity of individuals, couples, families, and society. I am determined not to engage in sexual relations without love and a long- term commitment. To preserve the happiness of myself and others, I am determined to respect my commitments and the commitments of others. I will do everything in my power to protect children from sexual abuse and to prevent couples and families from being broken by sexual misconduct."

Wind Song
03-03-2012, 11:01 AM
Note that homosexuality is not a sin.

jimnyc
03-03-2012, 11:03 AM
I'l' keep this in the back of my mind in case I ever convert. Till then, I couldn't care less.

OCA
03-03-2012, 11:07 AM
Note that homosexuality is not a sin.

Great, a bunch of babbling gooks can bugger each other in the ass, guess there will be a lot less babbling gooks around.

Wind Song
03-03-2012, 11:07 AM
I'l' keep this in the back of my mind in case I ever convert. Till then, I couldn't care less.

It's a big deal to me. Most arguments against gay marriage are religious in nature.

jimnyc
03-03-2012, 11:11 AM
It's a big deal to me. Most arguments against gay marriage are religious in nature.

I'm Catholic, but my reasons for being against queers has NOTHING to do with religion. I'm sure you're right about others though.

OCA
03-03-2012, 11:12 AM

Listen here Ellen, mine has zero, I mean zero to do with religion.

Wind Song
03-03-2012, 11:15 AM
I'm Catholic, but my reasons for being against queers has NOTHING to do with religion. I'm sure you're right about others though.

Bull. The RCC is about as negative towards gay and lesbians as any religion. Probably worse.

jimnyc
03-03-2012, 11:16 AM
Bull. The RCC is about as negative towards gay and lesbians as any religion. Probably worse.

I really don't care what ANY religion thinks about queers, even my own. Religion has NOTHING to do with why I am against queers and queer marriage.

Wind Song
03-03-2012, 11:17 AM
I really don't care what ANY religion thinks about queers, even my own. Religion has NOTHING to do with why I am against queers and queer marriage.

Right. You're just prejudiced against us.

jimnyc
03-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Right. You're just prejudiced against us.

Nope, I apply common sense. Call me bigoted, prejudiced... I don't care. Its you "sensitive" types that get up in arms over that kind of stuff.

Wind Song
03-03-2012, 11:23 AM
Nope, I apply common sense. Call me bigoted, prejudiced... I don't care. Its you "sensitive" types that get up in arms over that kind of stuff.

OK. I will call you what you are. Prejudiced. Bigoted.

jimnyc
03-03-2012, 11:25 AM
OK. I will call you what you are. Prejudiced. Bigoted.

Sweet, I like labels, especially when they are true and factual! And that then makes you an abnormal, lying hypocrite! :lol:

Wind Song
03-03-2012, 11:31 AM
Sweet, I like labels, especially when they are true and factual! And that then makes you an abnormal, lying hypocrite! :lol:

What have I lied about? I am openly lesbian. I am legally married. I have been with my wife for 27 years. We are happily married.

Our lives are as normal to us as yours is to you.

Our families accept us. Our spiritual community accepts us. Our employers accept us.

You don't. Big deal.

You are irrelevant.

jimnyc
03-03-2012, 11:33 AM
What have I lied about? I am openly lesbian. I am legally married. I have been with my wife for 27 years. We are happily married.

Our lives are as normal to us as yours is to you.

You said 2 days ago that you were against all name calling. That lasted about 10 minutes before you admitted you enjoyed it when it was Maddow, and not long after that you started engaging in it yourself. Sorry, these are just the facts, Ma'am.

Wind Song
03-03-2012, 11:36 AM
You said 2 days ago that you were against all name calling. That lasted about 10 minutes before you admitted you enjoyed it when it was Maddow, and not long after that you started engaging in it yourself. Sorry, these are just the facts, Ma'am.

I don't like name calling, true. I enjoy Maddow's humor. I said NOTHING about Maddow calling names. I haven't heard her do so. I only watch her when I travel. I don't watch TV.

I have engaged in name calling here. It doesn't feel all that great to do it. If you'd like me to stop, I will if you will.

jimnyc
03-03-2012, 11:39 AM
I don't like name calling, true. I enjoy Maddow's humor. I said NOTHING about Maddow calling names. I haven't heard her do so. I only watch her when I travel. I don't watch TV.

I have engaged in name calling here. It doesn't feel all that great to do it. If you'd like me to stop, I will if you will.

Name calling doesn't bother me, just words on the screen. But if "I" do resort to it, then I won't turn around and claim to dislike it. But for me, it's part of my nature. I'm a dirtbag and a prick most of the time.

Wind Song
03-03-2012, 11:43 AM
Name calling doesn't bother me, just words on the screen. But if "I" do resort to it, then I won't turn around and claim to dislike it. But for me, it's part of my nature. I'm a dirtbag and a prick most of the time.

I don't even like it when I do it. What I'm working on is just ignoring that part and trying to address an actual debate point in a post.

Thunderknuckles
03-03-2012, 11:45 AM

On the subject of Maddow: I used to listen to her on the radio on my way to work and tried to watch her once she moved to TV. She was snide enough on the radio but that was OK. It was akin to an entertainment show. Trying to pull off the serious journalist thing just doesn't work for me. I can't stand her anymore.

Wind Song
03-03-2012, 11:47 AM
On the subject of Maddow: I used to listen to her on the radio on my way to work and tried to watch her once she moved to TV. She was snide enough on the radio but that was OK. It was akin to an entertainment show. Trying to pull off the serious journalist thing just doesn't work for me. I can't stand her anymore.

If I watched or listened to her all the time maybe I'd get to the point of disliking her. I see her maybe once a year.

fj1200
03-04-2012, 01:00 AM
What I'm working on is just ignoring that part and trying to address an actual debate point in a post.

:rolleyes:

bullypulpit
03-10-2012, 11:26 PM

The only argument against homosexuality that's not religious is, "It's icky."

bullypulpit
03-10-2012, 11:28 PM

Care to cite that "common sense"?