PDA

View Full Version : Married Lesbian Couple Saves 40 Teenagers in Norway and No one writes about it.

Wind Song
03-03-2012, 12:06 PM
http://talkaboutequality.wordpress.com/2011/08/02/hege-and-toril-why-we-write/

jimnyc
03-03-2012, 12:24 PM
I've read many accounts that included many names, including these 2. Maybe the stories just didn't include that they were a "lesbian married couple" which would have nothing to do with the story anyway.

jimnyc
03-03-2012, 12:36 PM
Imagine this same couple was heterosexual...

Should the headlines be reading "Heterosexual couple help save 40 children"?

OCA
03-03-2012, 12:45 PM
And them being dykes has what to do with this?

Wind Song
03-03-2012, 03:00 PM
I've read many accounts that included many names, including these 2. Maybe the stories just didn't include that they were a "lesbian married couple" which would have nothing to do with the story anyway.

If it's a bad story, it would have said they were lesbians. That's my point.

Wind Song
03-03-2012, 03:07 PM
In a 1998 study that analyzed 50 years of coverage of gay and lesbian issues in Time and Newsweek, Lisa Bennett found that news media reinforce prejudice and discrimination against gays and lesbians. She observes that gays and lesbians are often linked to deviant or criminal behaviour without evidence to support such claims; and that the media often reprint offensive and homophobic comments. Bennett concludes that such practices reinforce assumptions that gays and lesbians are inherently inferior.
http://www.media-awareness.ca/english/issues/stereotyping/gays_and_lesbians/gay_news.cfm

Jess
03-03-2012, 03:17 PM
If it's a bad story, it would have said they were lesbians. That's my point.

Or black/hispanic/white/southerner/northerner/liberal/conservative/redneck/former military/high school dropout/stripper/drug dealer/gang member/Christian/Muslim/single mother/deadbeat dad/man/woman ...

See how that works? The media uses whatever will make a big splash, create controversy and/or further their agenda. We're ALL subject to it, not just gay people.

Wind Song
03-03-2012, 03:19 PM
Two campers on the other side of the lake from the island of Utøya, where the Norwegian massacre happened (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jul/23/norway-attacks), heard gunfire and screams while they were eating their supper. Without thought for their personal safety, they took their boat and crossed towards the firing. Bullets hit the boat, but they pulled the fleeing youngsters from the water and crossed back and forth repeatedly. It was not a very big boat, so it took four trips to save 40 teenagers who may otherwise have been shot, or drowned trying to escape. Without them, the massacre could have been considerably more bloody even than it was. So why have we hardly heard about them?
In the first place, Hege Dalen and Toril Hansen are women. In the second place, Dalen and Hansen are lesbians. In the third place they were a married couple.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/aug/03/lesbian-couple-norway-utoya-massacre

Wind Song
03-03-2012, 03:20 PM
Or black/hispanic/white/southerner/northerner/liberal/conservative/redneck/former military/high school dropout/stripper/drug dealer/gang member/Christian/Muslim/single mother/deadbeat dad/man/woman ...

See how that works? The media uses whatever will make a big splash, create controversy and/or further their agenda. We're ALL subject to it, not just gay people.

Yes, that's true. It's also true that gay people are negatively portrayed in media.

Jess
03-03-2012, 03:22 PM
Yes, that's true. It's also true that gay people are negatively portrayed in media.

As are all the classifications of people that I listed previously, in one case or another.

jimnyc
03-03-2012, 03:22 PM

As is every politician, every political party, every race, every religion.... Get over it. You'll never take over freedom of the press, and as long as people are free to speak their opinions, you'll read what they have to say or ignore them.

Wind Song
03-03-2012, 03:23 PM
As are all the classifications of people that I listed previously, in one case or another.

Yes. I acknowledge that.

OCA
03-03-2012, 05:25 PM

You are out of your fucking mind! The media and Hollywood go out of their way to portray queers as everyday normal folks while avoiding the statistics on STD, domestic violence, substance abuse etc. etc. all of which are astronomically higher in the queer choice community than anywhere else.

Wind Song
03-03-2012, 05:42 PM
You are out of your fucking mind! The media and Hollywood go out of their way to portray queers as everyday normal folks while avoiding the statistics on STD, domestic violence, substance abuse etc. etc. all of which are astronomically higher in the queer choice community than anywhere else.

I feel sorry for you.

OCA
03-03-2012, 05:43 PM
I feel sorry for you.

Nice response, the arrow hit too close to the bullseye for ya?

Wind Song
03-03-2012, 05:45 PM
Nice response, the arrow hit too close to the bullseye for ya?

You are pathetic. Small minded. Ugly.

OCA
03-03-2012, 05:51 PM
You are pathetic. Small minded. Ugly.

LMFAO!:laugh2:
:laugh2::laugh2:

Out of intelligent thoughts? Ready to wave the white flag?

Wind Song
03-03-2012, 05:52 PM
Nope. I will never surrender.

Notice the resolve.

OCA
03-03-2012, 05:57 PM
Nope. I will never surrender.

Notice the resolve.

Resolve? You are getting sillier and the avoidance of facts and questions is piling up faster than Nor'easter snow.

Wind Song
03-03-2012, 05:59 PM
Resolve? You are getting sillier and the avoidance of facts and questions is piling up faster than Nor'easter snow.

Look at my eyes.

OCA
03-03-2012, 06:00 PM
Look at my eyes.

They are empty like your soul.

Wind Song
03-03-2012, 06:03 PM
They are empty like your soul.

I don't believe in a soul either.

OCA
03-03-2012, 09:52 PM
I don't believe in a soul either.

Well cool then, you can live your life as wild and wreckless as you currently are choosing to, you have nothing to worry about.

Noir
03-03-2012, 09:56 PM
Well cool then, you can live your life as wild and wreckless as you currently are choosing to, you have nothing to worry about.

off topic (but then it already was) is this to infer that you believe humans have a soul?

OCA
03-03-2012, 09:59 PM
off topic (but then it already was) is this to infer that you believe humans have a soul?

Sure do.

Noir
03-03-2012, 10:12 PM
Sure do.

Fairplay, am doing some reading (from descartes onwards) about them, and what philosophies explain/describe the (seemingly) strong human desire to ponder the existence of such a thing/being.