PDA

View Full Version : Judge Orders Top N. Miami Senior High Student To Leave U.S.

jimnyc
03-03-2012, 01:47 PM
First off, where do you get a "6.7 GPA"?

But back to the story. They dwell more on just how great this girl is and less on the legality. Is she in fact here illegally? If so, sorry, you gotta go. You're welcome to come back in the legal manner though. It's not the judge's fault that her family brought her here illegally, he's simply ruling on what is in front of him, and correctly so.

MIAMI (CBS4) – A judge has ordered a top student at North Miami Senior High School to leave the country later this month.

The student has lived here since she was four. Now her classmates say they don’t plan on letting her leave without a fight.

Daniela Pelaez, 18, has spent most of her life in the U.S. In fact, she says she can’t remember her native country, Colombia.

“I’ve done everything that an American child has done. I know the National Anthem, I know more about the United States than I do about Colombia. This is my home,” said Daniela.

She’s done so well at North Miami Senior High that she’s now the valedictorian.

“Yeah. I have a 6.7 GPA,” said Daniela.

Even so, Daniela may have no other choice but to leave the U.S. at the end of the month. She was born in Colombia and came here with her parents when she was four.

A few years ago, her mom returned to Colombia for medical reasons while Daniela was in the process of legalizing her status.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/03/01/judge-orders-bright-n-miami-senior-high-student-to-leave-u-s/

ConHog
03-04-2012, 03:08 PM
Some schools use a different scoring system than the usual 4.0, I have no idea why.

As for this young lady.She sounds like a quality caliber young woman, but too bad the law is the law. It's just a damned shame they aren't focusing on the criminal element though. And by criminal element I'm not implying that being here illegally isn't a crime.

Noir
03-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Assuming she's kicked out and re-applies to return, what are her chances?Or having been there illegally (thought not through her own cause) will she be blacklisted?

ConHog
03-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Assuming she's kicked out and re-applies to return, what are her chances?Or having been there illegally (thought not through her own cause) will she be blacklisted?

Not likely. USUALLY that is reserved for people who have been caught here illegally multiple times, and of course anyone who has been incarcerated for committing a crime while in the country.

SassyLady
03-04-2012, 04:38 PM
To get a higher than 4.0 you will have participated in extra-curricular activities, volunteering in the community, taking extra classes, etc.

Now that she has been educated in this country perhaps she can use that knowledge to help elevate her home country. Use her intelligence and drive to make a difference at home.

logroller
03-04-2012, 05:01 PM
To get a higher than 4.0 you will have participated in extra-curricular activities, volunteering in the community, taking extra classes, etc.

Now that she has been educated in this country perhaps she can use that knowledge to help elevate her home country. Use her intelligence and drive to make a difference at home.

When I was in school certain classes carried a 1 point boost..not 3-- so I hear ya on higher than 4.0, but 6.7; that's 2.7 points higher...so in effect, I could have a 1.3, a D+ avg, and with extra-curricular credit I'd have an A average...that doesn't make sense.

SassyLady
03-04-2012, 05:04 PM
When I was in school certain classes carried a 1 point boost..not 3-- so I hear ya on higher than 4.0, but 6.7; that's 2.7 points higher...so in effect, I could have a 1.3, a D+ avg, and with extra-curricular credit I'd have an A average...that doesn't make sense.

From Yahoo Answers:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120302175735AA4ohPA

At my high school, you didn't get any extra points for an honors course, and an AP class only added 0.1 to your GPA. At other high schools, honors are worth 2 points and AP are worth 3 or more. Every high school has it's own weighting system, which is why weighted GPAs are meaningless and colleges ask for unweighted. Her high school obviously adds a ton of points to her GPA for taking advanced classes. So it really is meaningless to say she's got a 6.7.

ConHog
03-04-2012, 05:06 PM
From Yahoo Answers:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120302175735AA4ohPA

Yep, it's only relevant in relation to her classmate's grades.

SassyLady
03-04-2012, 05:10 PM
Yep, it's only relevant in relation to her classmate's grades.

Just bragging here ... my mom was Valedictorian for her high school graduating class. I tried to live up to that standard, but my class was 3x larger...more competition. I did however, have a 3.97 in college.....damn statistics class.

ConHog
03-04-2012, 05:15 PM
Just bragging here ... my mom was Valedictorian for her high school graduating class. I tried to live up to that standard, but my class was 3x larger...more competition. I did however, have a 3.97 in college.....damn statistics class.

I was salutatorian in my high school class because of some extra credit work a girl in my class did. Valedictorian at CofO though.

SassyLady
03-04-2012, 05:18 PM
I was salutatorian in my high school class because of some extra credit work a girl in my class did. Valedictorian at CofO though.

Wow...when I first read this I thought you only got S because you had help from work the girl did for you ... hoping it means she got V due to extra work and you got S.

Congrats on CofO honor.

ConHog
03-04-2012, 05:20 PM
Wow...when I first read this I thought you only got S because you had help from work the girl did for you ... hoping it means she got V due to extra work and you got S.

Congrats on CofO honor.

yes, that's what i meant, we were neck and neck and she did some extra credit in an honors level anatomy class our senior year and edged me out by a few percentage points for V.

Kathianne
03-04-2012, 05:39 PM

But back to the story. They dwell more on just how great this girl is and less on the legality. Is she in fact here illegally? If so, sorry, you gotta go. You're welcome to come back in the legal manner though. It's not the judge's fault that her family brought her here illegally, he's simply ruling on what is in front of him, and correctly so.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/03/01/judge-orders-bright-n-miami-senior-high-student-to-leave-u-s/

Saw this and thought I'd respond. Went to site and found the grading scale. They give 1 extra point for honors classes, 2 for AP and International Baccalaureate classes. I can't find course listings, but if she's been a strait A student, I suppose the 6.7 is possible on a normal 4.0 scale.

That grading scale is weird though, IMO. Usually there is only a 1 pt bump for honors/AP. The AP can make a huge difference though for college, as it can exempt student from prerequisites, saving hundreds or thousands in college costs.

http://www.dadeschools.net/schools/schoolinformation/school_details.asp?id=7591

I still don't see how that should exempt her from legal status here.

Kathianne
03-04-2012, 05:41 PM
I've never heard of any points to GPA for sports, extracurricular, or service. I have heard of service hours being required, which I think is wrong for a diploma, but right for growth of the individual.

OCA
03-04-2012, 06:54 PM
I've never heard of any points to GPA for sports, extracurricular, or service. I have heard of service hours being required, which I think is wrong for a diploma, but right for growth of the individual.

LMFAO! I thought this place sucked Kath?:laugh2:

OCA
03-04-2012, 06:56 PM
Lets trade her for some no good lowlife welfare receiving born here piece of shit.

Amerika cuts off its face to spite its nose once again.

DragonStryk72
03-04-2012, 06:58 PM

Actually, from the read of the article, it appears that she is here legally, with paperwork going to make her a full citizen, Jim. Unfortunately, her mother took ill and for whatever reason was forced to return to Columbia, leaving Daniela just about to graduate High School at the top of her class, but basically as Schrodinger's Citizen, in the simultaneous state of being here legally and being here legally. Clearly, she can easily get into any college she wants, and is a productive person.

Now, this is an instance that clearly calls for a special dispensation, given that the girl is trying to play by the rules, and is clearly a responsible individual, I think it's wrong to screw her over because of her mother's health issues, especially so close to graduation, and with 14 years spent in-country.

OCA
03-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Actually, from the read of the article, it appears that she is here legally, with paperwork going to make her a full citizen, Jim. Unfortunately, her mother took ill and for whatever reason was forced to return to Columbia, leaving Daniela just about to graduate High School at the top of her class, but basically as Schrodinger's Citizen, in the simultaneous state of being here legally and being here legally. Clearly, she can easily get into any college she wants, and is a productive person.

Now, this is an instance that clearly calls for a special dispensation, given that the girl is trying to play by the rules, and is clearly a responsible individual, I think it's wrong to screw her over because of her mother's health issues, especially so close to graduation, and with 14 years spent in-country.

You are wasting your breath Drag, the neocons here see everything in black and white(literally), it won't matter that she is perhaps a bright star with a healthy future and could possibly do good for the country.........SHE'S GOTTA GO! Sad

SassyLady
03-04-2012, 07:10 PM
You are wasting your breath Drag, the neocons here see everything in black and white(literally), it won't matter that she is perhaps a bright star with a healthy future and could possibly do good for the country.........SHE'S GOTTA GO! Sad

As I said before, let her take all that talent and put it to good use in her home country and turn it into a better place for all her fellow countrymen.

OCA
03-04-2012, 07:15 PM
As I said before, let her take all that talent and put it to good use in her home country and turn it into a better place for all her fellow countrymen.

Why should she? Hell she's probably brighter than most kids born here, you want a country full of dumbasses like we currently have?

No, what is needed is immediate amnesty for all non-felon illegals in country already so they can be folded into the system and taxes collected. After a suitable border policy is formed though, right?

What has it been, 5 years since this battle was fought in DC? Its time for the amnesty, deporting them will never happen on any scale that makes a dent.

DragonStryk72
03-04-2012, 07:15 PM

Yeah, but it should be up to her, and screwing her out graduating high school because her mom got sick isn't the way to exactly reinforce good morals for life, "Don't worry, if you work really hard, and do your very best, you too can have it all ripped away because of circumstances you can't possibly control!"

OCA
03-04-2012, 07:16 PM
Yeah, but it should be up to her, and screwing her out graduating high school because her mom got sick isn't the way to exactly reinforce good morals for life, "Don't worry, if you work really hard, and do your very best, you too can have it all ripped away because of circumstances you can't possibly control!"

Again, wasting your breath Drag.

SassyLady
03-04-2012, 07:17 PM

Every illegal has a story, and it starts with breaking the law.

OCA
03-04-2012, 07:20 PM

So, why do you want the economy to falter even more than it already has? The American government has molded the economy to rely on the cheap source of labor that most illegals provide, they do the work(its a fact) that most Americans won't do and if they were not here....its over, its done.

Since its fact that they aren't going anywhere wouldn't you want to get them into the system so they can pay their fair share?

Why are you for the status quo?

DragonStryk72
03-04-2012, 07:22 PM

...Except she's not illegal. As stated in the article she's in the process of getting approved for full citizenship, and thus, was here legally during the process. then her mom got sick, and so now she's getting screwed for the that. She is not an illegal. She's in the process like millions of other who come here to become citizens legally every year.

jimnyc
03-04-2012, 07:27 PM

Actually, if she IS soon to be legal, and is just shy, and waiting on something, I think they should give her an extension and let her stay. But if she was here illegally the whole time, and made no effort, then I don't care what good she's done for the country or herself, or might do. It appears she came here illegally when she was 4. I'd be curious to exactly when all of her paperwork got started and what specific efforts have been made to come within the law. We don't give passes to people based on what good they've done between the time they committed their "crime" and the time they were caught.

SassyLady
03-04-2012, 07:28 PM
...Except she's not illegal. As stated in the article she's in the process of getting approved for full citizenship, and thus, was here legally during the process. then her mom got sick, and so now she's getting screwed for the that. She is not an illegal. She's in the process like millions of other who come here to become citizens legally every year.

I guess I'm confused ... she's been here for 14 years and the entire time she was here legally? If so, then she should not be punished.

jimnyc

Yes, she is, since she was 4 years old. That's more than 10 years here ILLEGALLY - until her paperwork goes through THEN she will become legal. I see nothing in the article that states she is legal in any way, only working on it.

jimnyc

Drop it, now, and stay on topic.

SassyLady
03-04-2012, 07:29 PM
So, why do you want the economy to falter even more than it already has? The American government has molded the economy to rely on the cheap source of labor that most illegals provide, they do the work(its a fact) that most Americans won't do and if they were not here....its over, its done.

Since its fact that they aren't going anywhere wouldn't you want to get them into the system so they can pay their fair share?

Why are you for the status quo?

:link:

OCA
03-04-2012, 07:29 PM
Actually, if she IS soon to be legal, and is just shy, and waiting on something, I think they should give her an extension and let her stay. But if she was here illegally the whole time, and made no effort, then I don't care what good she's done for the country or herself, or might do. It appears she came here illegally when she was 4. I'd be curious to exactly when all of her paperwork got started and what specific efforts have been made to come within the law. We don't give passes to people based on what good they've done between the time they committed their "crime" and the time they were caught.

What crime Jimmy?

jimnyc
03-04-2012, 07:30 PM
What crime Jimmy?

Unless she has citizenship or appropriate paperwork allowing her to be in the country, she is here ILLEGALLY. You understand that means a crime, no?

ConHog
03-04-2012, 07:32 PM
Yes, she is, since she was 4 years old. That's more than 10 years here ILLEGALLY - until her paperwork goes through THEN she will become legal. I see nothing in the article that states she is legal in any way, only working on it.

I missed that part to. Obviously she had no control over what happened when she was 4. She couldn't legally have done anything on her own until recently either, her parents would have had to do it for her. If she is NOW going through the process she needs to be given time to make it happen.

OCA
03-04-2012, 07:34 PM
Drop it, now, and stay on topic.

Lol......ok.:laugh2:

OCA
03-04-2012, 07:34 PM
Unless she has citizenship or appropriate paperwork allowing her to be in the country, she is here ILLEGALLY. You understand that means a crime, no?

Nah...thats a crime like jaywalking.

jimnyc
03-04-2012, 07:35 PM
I missed that part to. Obviously she had no control over what happened when she was 4. She couldn't legally have done anything on her own until recently either, her parents would have had to do it for her. If she is NOW going through the process she needs to be given time to make it happen.

That's what I said a couple of posts ago - but she IS still here illegally until such time. I wouldn't complain if they gave extensions in such instances, but it's also no fault of anyone else's if they start enforcing the laws properly. Not much different than the "anchor baby" situations. We all end up paying all kinds of taxes to support them, however innocent they may be.

jimnyc
03-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Nah...thats a crime like jaywalking.

And that's reason #68 why society is going down the shitter, everyone turning blind eyes to the problems hurting our country. Illegal immigration is one of those on top of that list. You start making excuses for some, then you might as well get rid of the laws.

Lol......ok.:laugh2:

Give it a rest, I'm not going to deal with your shenanigans.

OCA
03-04-2012, 07:38 PM
That's what I said a couple of posts ago - but she IS still here illegally until such time. I wouldn't complain if they gave extensions in such instances, but it's also no fault of anyone else's if they start enforcing the laws properly. Not much different than the "anchor baby" situations. We all end up paying all kinds of taxes to support them, however innocent they may be.

You see you are crying about taxes but we all know that this "law" cannot possibly ever be enforced yet you will not endorse the 1 solution to your tax problem..............idiotic really.

jimnyc
03-04-2012, 07:41 PM
You see you are crying about taxes but we all know that this "law" cannot possibly ever be enforced yet you will not endorse the 1 solution to your tax problem..............idiotic really.

How much do illegal aliens pay into our tax system? How much do you think it costs to support them through healthcare, welfare and all the other freebies we have to support them with? If there was a way to get rid of them overnight, our deficit would probably be fixed within a year.

OCA
03-04-2012, 07:43 PM
How much do illegal aliens pay into our tax system? How much do you think it costs to support them through healthcare, welfare and all the other freebies we have to support them with? If there was a way to get rid of them overnight, our deficit would probably be fixed within a year.

Well right now they pay nothing, under my plan, which is feasible, they will start paying. Under your plan, which is logistically impossible, they will continue to pay nothing so you are in fact for continuing the status quo.

jimnyc
03-04-2012, 07:43 PM

Btw, it CAN be enforced, one by one, little by little - and place FUCKING HUGE fines on ANY company that hires a single illegal. They'll stop coming for the freebies. The rest will be dead in the water without free handouts and no work. And don't even start with your crap about how Americans won't do the work. When the employer has no choice but to offer fair wages, the jobs WILL be filled. It's a win win for all, 'cept for the illegals and their supporters like you.

OCA
03-04-2012, 07:47 PM
Btw, it CAN be enforced, one by one, little by little - and place FUCKING HUGE fines on ANY company that hires a single illegal. They'll stop coming for the freebies. The rest will be dead in the water without free handouts and no work. And don't even start with your crap about how Americans won't do the work. When the employer has no choice but to offer fair wages, the jobs WILL be filled. It's a win win for all, 'cept for the illegals and their supporters like you.

There was a meat packing plant in Colorado, ICE raided them, arrested quite a few illegals........the plant placed an ad for help................it shut down shortly after, no Americans applied.

That link is on this board somewhere, from back in the day 4 or 5 yrs ago when we argued this.

It can't be enforced Jimmy, if it could it would already have happened. Open your eyes.

ConHog
03-04-2012, 07:48 PM

I know I was agreeing with you. That's why I thanked your post, then I just quoted the wrong post from you.

jimnyc
03-04-2012, 07:52 PM
There was a meat packing plant in Colorado, ICE raided them, arrested quite a few illegals........the plant placed an ad for help................it shut down shortly after, no Americans applied.

That link is on this board somewhere, from back in the day 4 or 5 yrs ago when we argued this.

It can't be enforced Jimmy, if it could it would already have happened. Open your eyes.

Find me the story, let me read ALL the facts behind it. I did a search on "colorado" and found you referenced it another time, but I can't find the story. I lay 50-1 odds the story is different than you are saying.

OCA
03-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Find me the story, let me read ALL the facts behind it. I did a search on "colorado" and found you referenced it another time, but I can't find the story. I lay 50-1 odds the story is different than you are saying.

Alright let me find it.

SassyLady
03-04-2012, 07:56 PM

They shut down? Hmmmm...here's what is on Wikipedia:

Recent difficulties

In 2002, Swift & Company was purchased by Hicks Muse Tate & Furst (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HM_Capital_Partners), a leading, Dallas-based private equity firm, and Booth Creek Management (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Booth_Creek_Management&action=edit&redlink=1).

In December 2006, six of the company’s meat-packing facilities in Colorado (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado), Nebraska (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebraska), Texas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas), Utah (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah), Iowa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa), and Minnesota (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota) were raided by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Immigration_and_Customs_Enforcement) officials, resulting in the apprehension of 1,282 illegal aliens from Mexico (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico), Guatemala (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guatemala), Honduras (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honduras), El Salvador (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Salvador), Peru (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peru), Laos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laos), Sudan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudan), and Ethiopia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethiopia), and nearly 200 of them criminally charged after a ten month investigation into identity theft (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identity_theft).[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JBS_USA#cite_note-yahoo-2)

On July 12, 2007 JBS S.A. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JBS_S.A.), the largest beef processor in South America (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_America) and one of the largest worldwide beef exporters, purchased Swift & Company in a US$1.5 billion all-cash deal. The acquisition makes the newly consolidated JBS Swift Group the largest beef processor in the world. Prior to the deal JBS had market capitalization (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_capitalization) of US$4.2 billion and sales revenue of $2.1 billion, and operated in 23 plants in Brazil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil) and 5 inArgentina (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentina).
On July 11, 2007 The Swift companies had also completed several tender offers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tender_offer) and consent solicitations for financing notes. These included 10⅛%Senior Notes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senior_debt) due 2009 and 12½% Senior Subordinated Notes due January 1, 2010 both issued by Swift & Company, 11% Senior Notes due 2010 issued by S&C Holdco 3 and 10¼% Convertible Senior Subordinated Notes due 2010 issued by Swift Foods Company.

On June 24, 2009 the U.S. Department of Agriculture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Department_of_Agriculture)'s Food Safety and Inspection Service (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_Safety_and_Inspection_Service) (FSIS) announced that JBS Swift Beef Company, a Greeley, Colo. establishment, recalled approximately 41,280 pounds of beef products that may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._coli_O157:H7). By June 30, the recall had risen to over 421,000 pounds.[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JBS_USA#cite_note-3)

The beef products were produced on April 21 and 22, 2009, and were shipped to distributors and retail establishments in Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and Wisconsin.[5] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JBS_USA#cite_note-RECALL_Jun-24-09-4)
On November 4, 2010 the FMCSA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FMCSA) ordered JBS Carriers, a subsidiary of JBS to install electronic on-board recorders (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_on-board_recorder) on their trucks after a compliance review found "serious violation of federal hours-of-service (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hours_of_service).[6] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JBS_USA#cite_note-5)
In December 2010,JBS/Swift was assessed a $175,000 civil penalty for violating The Packer and Stockyards Act by failing to disclose when missing Fat-O-Meat’er data has prevented JBS from calculating the lean percent of a particular pork carcass or carcasses in a seller’s lot; and substituting an undisclosed lean value for pork carcasses with missing data when calculating carcass-merit payment for hogs delivered to JBS’ Worthington, Minn., Marshalltown, Iowa, and Louisville, Ky., processing plants. The Packers and Stockyards Act is a fair trade practice and payment protection law that promotes fair and competitive marketing environments for the livestock, meat, and poultry industries.[7] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JBS_USA#cite_note-PorkNetwork-6)

Did not see where it says the Colorado plant was shut down. Can you find that info for us OCA?

jimnyc
03-04-2012, 07:58 PM

Did not see where it says the Colorado plant was shut down. Can you find that info for us OCA?

Yep, I found a few plants raided in Colorado by ICE, Swift being the major player with 800 detained/deported. Nothing about closures did I find, and nothing about closing due to lack of employees. But I could be wrong, just can't find it yet.

OCA
03-04-2012, 08:02 PM

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=ay4.8lmJCKBk&refer=us

ConHog
03-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Yep, I found a few plants raided in Colorado by ICE, Swift being the major player with 800 detained/deported. Nothing about closures did I find, and nothing about closing due to lack of employees. But I could be wrong, just can't find it yet.

Even if it did shut down, we don't set policy on what happened to one, or even several , companies.

SassyLady
03-04-2012, 08:06 PM

Perhaps you should read this:

<tbody>

<tbody>

Immigration raids yield jobs for legal workers

</tbody>

By Alan Gomez (http://www.usatoday.com/community/tags/reporter.aspx?id=8), USA TODAY
When federal agents descended on six meatpacking plants owned by Swift & Co. in December 2006, they rounded up nearly 1,300 suspected illegal immigrants that made up about 10% of the labor force at the plants.

But the raids by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/U.S.+Immigration+and+Customs+Enforcement) (ICE)
agents did not cripple the company or the plants. In fact, they
were back up and running at full staff within months by replacing
those removed with a significant number of native-born Americans,
according to a report by the Center for Immigration Studies
(CIS).

That was the most extreme example of what has become an increasingly common result of the raids: "They were very beneficial to American workers," according to Vanderbilt University (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/Organizations/Schools/Vanderbilt+University)professor Carol Swain.
"Whenever there's an immigration raid, you find white, black and legal immigrant labor lining up to do those jobs that Americans will supposedly not do," said Swain, who teaches law and political science.
Exactly who is filling the jobs has varied, depending on the populations surrounding the plants:

• Out West, one of the Swift plants raided by ICE, had a workforce that was about 90% Hispanic — both legal and illegal — before the raids. The lost workers were replaced mostly with white Americans and U.S.-born Hispanics, according to the CIS.
• In the South, a House of Raeford Farms plant in North Carolina that was more than 80% Hispanic before a federal investigation is now about 70% African-American, according to a report by TheCharlotte Observer.
• Throughout the Great Plains, a new wave of legal immigrants is filling the void, according to Jill Cashen, spokeswoman for the United Food and Commercial Workers (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/United+Food+and+Commercial+Workers) union, which represents 1.3 million people who work in the food-processing industry. Plants are refilling positions with newly arrived immigrants from places such as Sudan, Somalia and Southeast Asia.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/workplace/2009-09-13-plants_N.htm

</tbody>

OCA
03-04-2012, 08:07 PM

It says they suspened operations. Why, if there were people just clamoring for jobs would they need to "suspend" operations? I could understand a few days, 1 day to get word out that help was needed and a day or two to interview and hire................nobody came, thats why they suspended.

If it had been high paying computer work or something else deemed "prestigious" they would have come. Amerikans for the most part are lazy and snobbish when it comes to work, its not their fault its just the way the economy and technology have evolved but.............the work still has to get done.

OCA
03-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Perhaps you should read this:

Read it, explain the suspension of operations.

SassyLady

It says they suspened operations. Why, if there were people just clamoring for jobs would they need to "suspend" operations? I could understand a few days, 1 day to get word out that help was needed and a day or two to interview and hire................nobody came, thats why they suspended.

If it had been high paying computer work or something else deemed "prestigious" they would have come. Amerikans for the most part are lazy and snobbish when it comes to work, its not their fault its just the way the economy and technology have evolved but.............the work still has to get done.

More from the article I posted above:

Recession plays a factor in shiftSteven Camarota of CIS said native-born Americans are not only willing to take on those jobs, but currently fill a majority of them.Native-born workers outnumber immigrants 3-to-1 in construction jobs and 2-to-1 in farming, fishing and forestry jobs, according to Camarota.T. Willard Fair, president and CEO of the Urban League (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/National+Urban+League) of Greater Miami, said it has taken the greatest recession in a generation for poor Americans to line up to work in fields and factories."We'll take anything now," Fair said. "We're willing to be exploited for a while."

SassyLady
Read it, explain the suspension of operations.

Point being that Americans, legal, are willing to take those jobs.

jimnyc
03-04-2012, 08:11 PM

That link simply states they were shut down, but it was temporary. I also don't see anything about plants closing due to lack of interest in jobs, but I DO see other plants from Swift, with legal workers, are running just fine. Same as competitors. Since Americans are currently doing these jobs, I think that proves they would do the jobs. Offer a fair pay for fair work and you'll find employees. Offer less than minimum wage and no benefits, you'll find illegals.

OCA
03-04-2012, 08:12 PM
More from the article I posted above:

You are avoiding the question, explain the suspension of operations if people were clamoring for employment.

OCA
03-04-2012, 08:12 PM
That link simply states they were shut down, but it was temporary. I also don't see anything about plants closing due to lack of interest in jobs, but I DO see other plants from Swift, with legal workers, are running just fine. Same as competitors. Since Americans are currently doing these jobs, I think that proves they would do the jobs. Offer a fair pay for fair work and you'll find employees. Offer less than minimum wage and no benefits, you'll find illegals.

So what is fair?

OCA
03-04-2012, 08:13 PM
If I as an employer can hire an illegal who works harder and for less money i'm going to hire him, its just plain good business.

SassyLady
03-04-2012, 08:14 PM
You are avoiding the question, explain the suspension of operations if people were clamoring for employment.

I never said they were clamoring ... I am supporting my belief that Americans are willing to take those jobs.

Perhaps the plant was closed for a period of time to implement new policies so they made sure everyone they hired from that point forward are legal. Do you want me to do further research to find out why the suspended operations or are you willing to admit, with the information I have provided, that your assertion that Americans are not willing to take those jobs, was incorrect?

OCA
03-04-2012, 08:15 PM
Point being that Americans, legal, are willing to take those jobs.

Nope, nice avoidance. Explain the suspension of operations if people were clamoring for the jobs.

jimnyc
03-04-2012, 08:15 PM
So what is fair?

For starters, not making up stories about how plants closed down due to lack of interest from employees. Maybe they didn't recover losing so many employees overnight, but they recovered.

As for working, fair is competitive wages to similar jobs, decent working conditions and benefits.

jimnyc
03-04-2012, 08:17 PM
Nope, nice avoidance. Explain the suspension of operations if people were clamoring for the jobs.

Other than mowing lawns, no legit business in the world would recover overnight from losing hundreds and hundreds of employees. Especially if the incoming employees are now legit, that's a lot of interviewing and paperwork to be done. But it didn't cripple them.

OCA
03-04-2012, 08:17 PM
I never said they were clamoring ... I am supporting my belief that Americans are willing to take those jobs.

Perhaps the plant was closed for a period of time to implement new policies so they made sure everyone they hired from that point forward are legal. Do you want me to do further research to find out why the suspended operations or are you willing to admit, with the information I have provided, that your assertion that Americans are not willing to take those jobs, was incorrect?

No, go to Vegas, tell me if the gal who cleans your hotel room everyday is "born here" or not.

Next go to the San Joaquin Valley this July when its 106 out and see if you see any "native born here Americans" working.

OCA
03-04-2012, 08:18 PM
Other than mowing lawns, no legit business in the world would recover overnight from losing hundreds and hundreds of employees. Especially if the incoming employees are now legit, that's a lot of interviewing and paperwork to be done. But it didn't cripple them.

2-3 days is all thats needed if there were people just busting at the seams to get working.

jimnyc
03-04-2012, 08:18 PM
If I as an employer can hire an illegal who works harder and for less money i'm going to hire him, its just plain good business.

And as I alluded to earlier, hopefully they will enact laws that will make penalties so severe to employers that do such, that they would never hire illegals. Then it won't make good business sense anymore, and the government can use the fine money to go towards the deficit.

OCA
03-04-2012, 08:19 PM
For starters, not making up stories about how plants closed down due to lack of interest from employees. Maybe they didn't recover losing so many employees overnight, but they recovered.

As for working, fair is competitive wages to similar jobs, decent working conditions and benefits.

Oh like contraceptive benefits?

logroller

Just some of its members...which you so boldly demonstrate.

OCA
And as I alluded to earlier, hopefully they will enact laws that will make penalties so severe to employers that do such, that they would never hire illegals. Then it won't make good business sense anymore, and the government can use the fine money to go towards the deficit.

The government could take the tax money from the amnesty of illegals and put it toward the deficit.

OCA
03-04-2012, 08:20 PM
Just some of its members...which you so boldly demonstrate.

I'm the epitomy of awesomeness, its ok, you don't have to admit it.

jimnyc
03-04-2012, 08:21 PM
2-3 days is all thats needed if there were people just busting at the seams to get working.

Point being, your statement was wrong. You said they had to close up shop because Americans didn't want the jobs. That was wrong, and they did ultimately take the jobs, proving your statement even further false.

I knew 50-1 was about right, I should have dropped a few bucks.

jimnyc
03-04-2012, 08:22 PM
Oh like contraceptive benefits?

Whatever the employer feels is a good benefits package, that is affordable to them, and plentiful enough to attract employees. It's entirely a business decision.

OCA
03-04-2012, 08:23 PM
Point being, your statement was wrong. You said they had to close up shop because Americans didn't want the jobs. That was wrong, and they did ultimately take the jobs, proving your statement even further false.

I knew 50-1 was about right, I should have dropped a few bucks.

Nope, I guarantee you they had to give them 4 breaks a day, 401k, dental, vision, health and Good Friday off in order to get them to come in.

They shut down temporarily because the holes didn't get filled.

I would've rolled you up on that bet.

OCA
03-04-2012, 08:24 PM
Whatever the employer feels is a good benefits package, that is affordable to them, and plentiful enough to attract employees. It's entirely a business decision.

Or what the meat packers union feels is right.

SassyLady
03-04-2012, 08:24 PM
No, go to Vegas, tell me if the gal who cleans your hotel room everyday is "born here" or not.

Next go to the San Joaquin Valley this July when its 106 out and see if you see any "native born here Americans" working.

Wow ... who's avoiding now?

I am a native of the San Joaquin Valley and did, in fact, work those fields and orchards. My mother moved up from picking cotton by hand to actually having her own tractor-combine ...very excited that she had a radio and air conditioning. BTW ... we are "native born here Americans".

OCA
03-04-2012, 08:25 PM
Wow ... who's avoiding now?

I am a native of the San Joaquin Valley and did, in fact, work those fields and orchards. My mother moved up from picking cotton by hand to actually having her own tractor-combine ...very excited that she had a radio and air conditioning. BTW ... we are "native born here Americans".

Right uh uh..............lol.

And I'm Jerry Brown.

SassyLady
03-04-2012, 08:26 PM

Not true ... they had to recover from company policies that allowed hiring illegals. Policies had to be changed and implement....they could not just open the HR door the next day and carry on as usual.

jimnyc
03-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Nope, I guarantee you they had to give them 4 breaks a day, 401k, dental, vision, health and Good Friday off in order to get them to come in.

They shut down temporarily because the holes didn't get filled.

I would've rolled you up on that bet.

So what you're saying is, when you told us:

the plant placed an ad for help................it shut down shortly after, no Americans applied.

You really meant to say it was only temporary. And your story doesn't say anything about a company ad and no Americans applying.

Once again, not only wouldn't you have won any bet, you likely would welch like you have - or disappear like you did with my brother in law.

Man up for once, you misspoke, you made a mistake - or God forbid, you were WRONG!

OCA
03-04-2012, 08:28 PM
So what you're saying is, when you told us:

You really meant to say it was only temporary. And your story doesn't say anything about a company ad and no Americans applying.

Once again, not only wouldn't you have won any bet, you likely would welch like you have - or disappear like you did with my brother in law.

Man up for once, you misspoke, you made a mistake - or God forbid, you were WRONG!

Do I need to find a link for the obvious? For chrissakes use a litlle deductive reasoning for once.

Your bro-in-law is a waste of time, can't even form a sentence.

Never wrong.

SassyLady
03-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Right uh uh..............lol.

And I'm Jerry Brown.

LOL!!!!

What a dufus......when the truth hits you in the face you snivel like a baby.

I've never doubted that you are Greek asshole, why do you doubt that I and my family worked in the fields?

OCA
03-04-2012, 08:31 PM
LOL!!!!

What a dufus......when the truth hits you in the face you snivel like a baby.

I've never doubted that you are Greek asshole, why do you doubt that I and my family worked in the fields?

Truth? You got a link to that working the fields bit? I know how you guys like links.

Seams there was a little deal with you and I where I caught you in a boldfaced lie about me in the cage so you will understand when I take everything you say with a grain of salt.

My Grandmother always said once a liar and cheater always a liar and cheater.

OCA
03-04-2012, 08:34 PM
Look up Elk Grove,CA honey, I graduated from there, the "Thundering Herd".

I know exactly what i'm talking about, its always been Hispanics working the fields, always.

OCA
03-04-2012, 08:35 PM
Its almost time for Sassy to say i'm an idiot and run from the debate, its her M.O.

jimnyc
03-04-2012, 08:35 PM
Truth? You got a link to that working the fields bit? I know how you guys like links.

Semms there was a little deal with you and I where I caught you in a boldfaced lie about me in the cage so you will understand when I take everything you say with a grain of salt.

You got anything to prove your Greek or from Greece? For all we know you're a snot nosed 12 year old, eating cheese doodles and making your underwear get little orange stripes on them from wiping your hands on yourself. :coffee:

Man up, you were wrong, black and white, liberal or democrat, for or against illegal immigrants - it's undeniable, you wrote crap and got busted. :dance:

OCA
03-04-2012, 08:37 PM
You got anything to prove your Greek or from Greece? For all we know you're a snot nosed 12 year old, eating cheese doodles and making your underwear get little orange stripes on them from wiping your hands on yourself. :coffee:

Man up, you were wrong, black and white, liberal or democrat, for or against illegal immigrants - it's undeniable, you wrote crap and got busted. :dance:

Oh for chrissakes, i'm 13 and abnormally endowed.

I'm eating UTZ sour cream and onion and wiping them on my shirt.

I'm never wrong.

SassyLady

Semms there was a little deal with you and I where I caught you in a boldfaced lie about me in the cage so you will understand when I take everything you say with a grain of salt.

Your GM must have been trying to explain your personality to you in a way that you could understand....I'm sorry she had so little regard for you.

It was not a boldfaced lie, it was an observation about you. LOL!!!! :slap:

And it's interesting how you divert when you know you have been owned....and by a little, old lady no less.

jimnyc
Its almost time for Sassy to say i'm an idiot and run from the debate, its her M.O.

What you've been doing is "debating"? LOL :lol:

Ok, ok, maybe in a few posts, but then you deteriorate until I shove facts in your face, then you get serious for a post or 2, then you deteriorate again.

It's that whole scorpion, frog, it's YOUR nature thing. :)

SassyLady
03-04-2012, 08:38 PM
Look up Elk Grove,CA honey, I graduated from there, the "Thundering Herd".

I know exactly what i'm talking about, its always been Hispanics working the fields, always.

Now who's lying. You know damn well that poor, white trash worked those fields alongside the Hispanics. But, of course, you would have to have been poor white trash, like myself, in order to have known that.

Elk Grove......almost as bad as Arvin.

jimnyc
03-04-2012, 08:39 PM
Oh for chrissakes, i'm 13 and abnormally endowed.

I'm eating UTZ sour cream and onion and wiping them on my shirt.

I'm never wrong.

That's 2x in one thread. You even admitted, I believe just yesterday, when you proclaimed in the past that "The Clintons NEVER lose elections".

See, this is what happens when you hire and work with illegals, it's rotting your brain. :laugh:

OCA
03-04-2012, 08:40 PM
http://blogs.ajc.com/jay-bookman-blog/2011/06/17/gas-farm-labor-crisis-playing-out-as-planned/

OCA
03-04-2012, 08:41 PM
That's 2x in one thread. You even admitted, I believe just yesterday, when you proclaimed in the past that "The Clintons NEVER lose elections".

See, this is what happens when you hire and work with illegals, it's rotting your brain. :laugh:

The Clintons is the 1 time I was wrong and through no fault of my own, it was the stupid caucus system.

SassyLady
03-04-2012, 08:42 PM

Seriously, when have I run from a debate with you, little boy? You have to be able to debate in order to participate and you are the one that runs from the subject when you know you are losing..... by posting personal attacks. I will remove myself from a thread where you deteriorate into talking shit, but never from a legitimate debate.

logroller
03-04-2012, 08:43 PM
I'm the epitomy of awesomeness, its ok, you don't have to admit it.

It's epitome, not epitomy; it means 'essence'. So when you use it with awesome, which means to the extreme, in effect what you are saying is you are the very essence of extremism; and within the context of misspelling a word-- extreme ignorance.

OCA
03-04-2012, 08:44 PM
It's epitome, not epitomy; it means 'essence'. So when you use it with awesome, which means to the extreme, in effect what you are saying is you are the very essence of extremism; and within the context of misspelling a word-- extreme ignorance.

Oh lord, you know exactly what I meant.........i'm the motherfucking shizzit as Snoop Dog would say.

SassyLady
03-04-2012, 08:46 PM
I'm going to go eat dinner; back in a little while.

OCA
03-04-2012, 08:47 PM
Seriously, when have I run from a debate with you, little boy? You have to be able to debate in order to participate and you are the one that runs from the subject when you know you are losing..... by posting personal attacks. I will remove myself from a thread where you deteriorate into talking shit, but never from a legitimate debate.

Sassy you've ran more times than Frank Shorter ran marathons.

You ran in the cage, need I say more?

You suck.

I can out debate you any day, I challenge your old ass to a one on one. I'm not taking it easy on you either because you are a senior citizen so don't ask.

OCA
03-04-2012, 08:47 PM
I'm going to go eat dinner; back in a little while.

Enjoy the veggies, they were picked by illegals.

OCA
03-04-2012, 08:50 PM
Now who's lying. You know damn well that poor, white trash worked those fields alongside the Hispanics. But, of course, you would have to have been poor white trash, like myself, in order to have known that.

Elk Grove......almost as bad as Arvin.

Never saw any poor white trash, only Hispanics working the hops and then the produce fields so i'm inclined to think you are lying..........again.

Elk Grove was great back then, who the fuck knows Arvin, must be a real shithole.

ConHog
03-04-2012, 09:16 PM
Your GM must have been trying to explain your personality to you in a way that you could understand....I'm sorry she had so little regard for you.

And it's interesting how you divert when you know you have been owned....and by a little, old lady no less.

Jim should make a little flag to go next to our avatar for everyone who has owned OCA. Or make him wear one with everyone who has owned him listed.

:laugh:

ConHog
03-04-2012, 09:18 PM
Never saw any poor white trash, only Hispanics working the hops and then the produce fields so i'm inclined to think you are lying..........again.

Elk Grove was great back then, who the fuck knows Arvin, must be a real shithole.

Back in the 60s my grandmother worked the fields in that area. She is as white as Casper the Ghost.

OCA
03-04-2012, 09:26 PM
Jim should make a little flag to go next to our avatar for everyone who has owned OCA. Or make him wear one with everyone who has owned him listed.

:laugh:

Well we are still waiting on the first person to do it.

ConHog
03-04-2012, 09:32 PM
Well we are still waiting on the first person to do it.

Scoreboard bitch

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?34164-Gay-Marriage-Debate&p=523414#post523414

OCA
03-04-2012, 09:33 PM

Like my granny said and she must've known you or the likes of you, "once a liar always a liar", you are untrustworthy.

Sas *in kindsoft voice*, you know you got caught, you tried to run one by the board about ol' OCA but i'm like fucking J.R. Ewing, nothing gets by me here, I caught you red handed. I'm sure though with your fading memory and advanced age you can't remember me catching you.

Now about this owning, I challenge you to a one on one, i'm gonna bury your old ass.

OCA
03-04-2012, 09:34 PM
Scoreboard bitch

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?34164-Gay-Marriage-Debate&p=523414#post523414

Ohhh lol.............you got owned, you just sucked enough cocks to squeak by, be proud.

OCA
03-04-2012, 09:35 PM
Back in the 60s my grandmother worked the fields in that area. She is as white as Casper the Ghost.

Sorry, not true unless she's a spick.

ConHog
03-04-2012, 09:46 PM
Like my granny said and she must've known you or the likes of you, "once a liar always a liar", you are untrustworthy.

Sas *in kindsoft voice*, you know you got caught, you tried to run one by the board about ol' OCA but i'm like fucking J.R. Ewing, nothing gets by me here, I caught you red handed. I'm sure though with your fading memory and advanced age you can't remember me catching you.

Now about this owning, I challenge you to a one on one, i'm gonna bury your old ass.

Why would ANYONE accept your challenge? I fully exposed you. You LOST and didn't even have the good graces to acknowledge it like a man.

OCA
03-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Why would ANYONE accept your challenge? I fully exposed you. You LOST and didn't even have the good graces to acknowledge it like a man.

Uhh think again, you got exposed for being the hypocrite you are. In fact i've run across a few threads since then where others have exposed you also. Its ,like a disease with you, you can't stop your hypocritical ways.

"but, but, I agree with OCA, i'm just not strong enough to stand up for what is right, so my position is to just let them go and stay out of it":laugh2:
:laugh2:

pwned

ConHog
03-04-2012, 09:59 PM
Uhh think again, you got exposed for being the hypocrite you are. In fact i've run across a few threads since then where others have exposed you also. Its ,like a disease with you, you can't stop your hypocritical ways.

"but, but, I agree with OCA, i'm just not strong enough to stand up for what is right, so my position is to just let them go and stay out of it":laugh2:
:laugh2:

pwned

YOU lost by popular vote. The method we both agreed to use to determine the "winner" prior to the debate. You're a little girl who can't even say "I lost"

Pussy

SassyLady
03-04-2012, 10:43 PM
Sassy you've ran more times than Frank Shorter ran marathons.

You ran in the cage, need I say more?

You suck.

I can out debate you any day, I challenge your old ass to a one on one. I'm not taking it easy on you either because you are a senior citizen so don't ask.

Prove it. And, while you are at it, prove that whites have not worked in the fields of California. Guess you haven't heard of the Grapes of Wrath and the Dust Bowl Migration....and I guess you didn't realize that before the Mexicans the fields were worked by whites, Chinese, Japanese and Fillipinos? You need to brush up on your history grasshopper.

Enjoy the veggies, they were picked by illegals.

No they weren't; they are organic and were grown locally by one of my white neighbors.

So....you didn't see, so it didn't happen! Yep, great debating tool.

Yes, Arvin was/is a shithole and it's in Kern County....you know, where Bakersfield is located.

OCA, I will say that you keep me laughing at your antics. You couldn't own anyone because you are just a little banty rooster ... all talk and no cockadoodledoo!

logroller
03-05-2012, 12:13 AM
Oh lord, you know exactly what I meant.........
and you know exactly what kathianne meant by her comments...neither is relevant to the topic hand.

DragonStryk72
03-05-2012, 12:20 AM

Yes, and while working on citizenship, people are allowed to legally stay in-country for purposes of residency. This is done pretty much everywhere on the globe, so that people can obtain their residency requirements while they're waiting on the processing of paperwork.

When she was 4, she couldn't do anything, being a minor, when she was 16, the earliest time she could have possibly done anything about it, she did, as the process was already underway when her mother took ill. So, again, she is not here illegally, and is being screwed for an emergency situation she could not possibly have done anything about.

This is why I am saying that special dispensation is deserved here, especially how hard she is clearly working.

03-05-2012, 04:34 AM

I hated Statistics too. So darn boring. We would read about a topic and then the teacher would go over it about a million times in class because people would ask the same questions over and over again. If they didn't require us to be there in order to turn in the assignments at the end, i probably would have skipped more. Or atlleast snuck out early. I just hated it. I mean how many times does the teacher have to explain the same darn thing before people get it?

Gunny
03-05-2012, 04:54 AM
Some schools use a different scoring system than the usual 4.0, I have no idea why.

As for this young lady.She sounds like a quality caliber young woman, but too bad the law is the law. It's just a damned shame they aren't focusing on the criminal element though. And by criminal element I'm not implying that being here illegally isn't a crime.

You don't know what the fuck you're talking about, wimp. Apparently N Miami High teachges more intelligence than YOU are capable of, pussy.

SassyLady
03-05-2012, 05:13 AM
I hated Statistics too. So darn boring. We would read about a topic and then the teacher would go over it about a million times in class because people would ask the same questions over and over again. If they didn't require us to be there in order to turn in the assignments at the end, i probably would have skipped more. Or atlleast snuck out early. I just hated it. I mean how many times does the teacher have to explain the same darn thing before people get it?

It is my belief that no one understands it because stats are so easily manipulated. Imagine trying to learn something that changes depending on the weight you give to the items.

SassyLady
03-05-2012, 05:14 AM
You don't know what the fuck you're talking about, wimp. Apparently N Miami High teachges more intelligence than YOU are capable of, pussy.

Seriously, Gunny, this is your first post of the day? Seriously?????

Oh, I'm sorry ... this is your about the 10th in a row where you've called ConHog a pussy.......and all of them are personal attacks. What a fine example you set for this community.

Isn't it considered trolling when you follow someone around with the sole intention of flaming? Do the rules apply to you or not?

jimnyc
03-05-2012, 10:32 AM
Yes, and while working on citizenship, people are allowed to legally stay in-country for purposes of residency. This is done pretty much everywhere on the globe, so that people can obtain their residency requirements while they're waiting on the processing of paperwork.

When she was 4, she couldn't do anything, being a minor, when she was 16, the earliest time she could have possibly done anything about it, she did, as the process was already underway when her mother took ill. So, again, she is not here illegally, and is being screwed for an emergency situation she could not possibly have done anything about.

This is why I am saying that special dispensation is deserved here, especially how hard she is clearly working.

So as long as a child comes here after birth, and prior to 16, we should allow them to stay? Her and her family, anyone that was here illegally, should have been sent back home a LONG time ago. I'm sure there are a LOT of illegals in this country, who have children. Should they all be able to stay because the children aren't 16 yet? Or just send home the adults and let the kids stay?

Little-Acorn
03-05-2012, 12:45 PM
Hi, just came into the thread.

We seem to have here a couple of parents who deliberately and knowingly put their own 4-year-old daughter in danger of getting thrown out of the country, and kept her in that risky position despite years of opportunities to set it right and take her out of that danger.

Has anybody checked on what punishment the parents should get, either here or in Colombia, for this flagrant and ongoing act of child abuse? Obviously the 4-year-old daughter had no say in the decision. Unfortunately the deportation can't be cancelled, because about next week we'd have even greater hordes of parents doing the same thing.

Has this been discussed in this thread? Or has it simply degenerated into yet another gunny-and-connie purse fight instead?

jimnyc
03-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Hi, just came into the thread.

We seem to have here a couple of parents who deliberately and knowingly put their own 4-year-old daughter in danger of getting thrown out of the country, and kept her in that risky position despite years of opportunities to set it right and take her out of that danger.

Has anybody checked on what punishment the parents should get, either here or in Colombia, for this flagrant and ongoing act of child abuse? Obviously the 4-year-old daughter had no say in the decision. Unfortunately the deportation can't be cancelled, because about next week we'd have even greater hordes of parents doing the same thing.

Has this been discussed in this thread? Or has it simply degenerated into yet another gunny-and-connie purse fight instead?

Yep... But we shouldn't punish the children, so they say, as they are innocently involved. And as you stated, as soon as we go this route, you'll see a further influx of parents doing the same thing. I feel bad for this girl, but "I" didn't choose for her to break the law, or her parents, that was their decision, and any scorn should go in their direction.

Little-Acorn
03-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Yep... But we shouldn't punish the children, so they say,

We're not. The parents are... and have been planning on it for many years, deliberately putting the girl in danger and making no attempt to get her out of that danger.

DragonStryk72
03-05-2012, 03:50 PM
So as long as a child comes here after birth, and prior to 16, we should allow them to stay? Her and her family, anyone that was here illegally, should have been sent back home a LONG time ago. I'm sure there are a LOT of illegals in this country, who have children. Should they all be able to stay because the children aren't 16 yet? Or just send home the adults and let the kids stay?

No, as I stated, in this case there should be special dispensation. She's doing the work, getting the paperwork through, and is clearly hard working. If you want to get people to use legal means, at a certain point, it has to become less of a total ball-buster than the illegal ways. Allowing special dispensation in this instance isn't bad, and doesn't promote a bad image.

jimnyc
03-05-2012, 04:42 PM
No, as I stated, in this case there should be special dispensation. She's doing the work, getting the paperwork through, and is clearly hard working. If you want to get people to use legal means, at a certain point, it has to become less of a total ball-buster than the illegal ways. Allowing special dispensation in this instance isn't bad, and doesn't promote a bad image.

I don't think coming to this country legally is so hard, first off.

Perhaps, in this sole instance, it's not a bad idea to let her complete her paperwork and her education. But it should be the one rare case, and we shouldn't be allowing kids to sponge off of America, or their parents. Any adults within her family, if here illegally, should be sent home. I just don't think it's a good idea to let illegals get it in their head that if they "start paperwork" or have a child in school, or doing good in school, is a good excuse to remain here illegally.