PDA

View Full Version : nat'l Guard at Kite Fest loading buses?

revelarts
03-05-2012, 03:13 PM
According to the Texas State Guard’s website (http://www.txsg.state.tx.us/default.aspx), “The Texas State Guard (TXSG) mission as a branch of the Texas Military Forces is to provide mission-ready military forces to assist State and local authorities in times of state emergencies, with homeland security and community service through Defense Support to Civil Authorities (DSCA).”

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a4KaNtBk6s8?version=3&feature=player_embedded" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" height="360" width="640"></object>

youtuber
"I went to the Kite festival in Austin Tx today and they had the military loading people up on buses, how nice of them. Are these people so helpless that they need the military to give them a ride to their car? This is how they do it, right out in the open, just being nice guys, helping us out right? They want you to get used to it, no big deal.....cattle"
http://www.zilkerkitefestival.com/?p=583

SassyLady
03-05-2012, 03:23 PM
It's always good to see our soldiers volunteering to help the community. And, if training and volunteering happen on the same weekend, why not take advantage of the situation. If nothing else, it is an opportunity to learn crowd control.

revelarts
03-05-2012, 05:59 PM
It's always good to see our soldiers volunteering to help the community. And, if training and volunteering happen on the same weekend, why not take advantage of the situation. If nothing else, it is an opportunity to learn crowd control.

Seems benign enough, but you know as a couple of our friends here might say.
"it's against the law".
Posse Comitatus anyone?

Do we really want soldiers "doing crowd control" in the U.S.. The type of thing they were doing at the very pleasant Kite Fest is done daily at public schools by teachers. The kind of crowd control that's needed for soldiers is a bit different. Unless they expect people to go quietly to places they don't want to go or becuase folks have to leave with military assistance because of a disaster.

we don't want to get used to seeing the military on the streets as law enforcement or controllers. At least i don't, but maybe some people like the idea.

SassyLady
03-05-2012, 06:04 PM
"it's against the law".
Posse Comitatus anyone?

Do we really want soldiers "doing crowd control" in the U.S.. The type of thing they were doing at the very pleasant Kite Fest is done daily at public schools by teachers. The kind of crowd control that's needed for soldiers is a bit different. Unless they expect people to go quietly to places they don't want to go or becuase folks have to leave with military assistance because of a disaster.

we don't want to get used to seeing the military on the streets as law or controllers. At least i don't maybe some people like the idea.

Rev, do you know anyone in the National Guard? You do know that they are called out in emergencies and I, for one, would like to know that they know what they are doing long before the emergency develops. The National Guard is not like regular Army in that they practice day in and day out. They train one weekend a month and two weeks during the rest of the year.

If there is a chance for them to practice the skills they will need in an emergency and at the same time give back to the community, then I'm all for it.

But, I'm a military wife and have no fear of the military.

jimnyc
03-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Rev, on their site that you point to, it shows them helping distribute vaccines. Is that a problem, since nurses can just as easily do this job?

And then the program to get "coats for kids". Toy drives. Appearances at fairs.

And also listed as part of their "mission":

-Community Service Support

So long as they aren't acting in a "military" manner, or enforcing anything, I don't see a problem with them getting involved in community activities.

revelarts
03-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Rev, do you know anyone in the National Guard? You do know that they are called out in emergencies and I, for one, would like to know that they know what they are doing long before the emergency develops. The National Guard is not like regular Army in that they practice day in and day out. They train one weekend a month and two weeks during the rest of the year.

If there is a chance for them to practice the skills they will need in an emergency and at the same time give back to the community, then I'm all for it.

But, I'm a military wife and have no fear of the military.

LOL, Yes I know a few people in the Guard, most are former military.
And like many of the posters here, they are friendly with me and but if they were told to get MY Arse on the bus they would do it in the nicest way possible becuase they trust that their commanders would not tell them to do anything really wrong. Even if they had some question as to what was really going on. But they would do it becuase we are the good guys and Avery is just being Avery and needs to get his Arse on the MF bus before he gets hurt. Or he needs to open his door, or give up his weapons ..everyone has to during this emergency, or put down his camera, or stop this illegal protest, or get out of the car... etc etc..

I'm sure we won't have to fear any nat'l guard or military as long as we do what they say, when they say it.

I don't mind them in the community practicing but I prefer they practice putting out sandbags, fighting a fire, doing a rescue, toys for tots is great,
BUT Crowd control, traffic, or check points HECK no I don't like it at all. they can practice that stuff in the guard parking lot with volunteers from a college and high school ROTCs not at the park w the general public. rubs me way wrong. sends the wrong message. Military CONTROL is normal.

you know i luvs ya Sassy But I've never married military and was not in it. taking orders from the military is NOT easy or 2nd nature to me, sorry. Things have gone way to far as it is for me to look at it in a purely benign way.

Gaffer
03-05-2012, 07:00 PM
"it's against the law".
Posse Comitatus anyone?

we don't want to get used to seeing the military on the streets as law enforcement or controllers. At least i don't, but maybe some people like the idea.

The guard here was not enforcing the law. So there's no violation of posse comitatus. They are simply helping people get back and forth to their cars. Why do you always search for something evil in anything done by the military? If it was the TSA doing this then maybe you could be suspicious.

SassyLady
03-05-2012, 07:12 PM
LOL, Yes I know a few people in the Guard, most are former military.
And like many of the posters here, they are friendly with me and but if they were told to get MY Arse on the bus they would do it in the nicest way possible becuase they trust that their commanders would not tell them to do anything really wrong. Even if they had some question as to what was really going on. But they would do it becuase we are the good guys and Avery is just being Avery and needs to get his Arse on the MF bus before he gets hurt. Or he needs to open his door, or give up his weapons ..everyone has to during this emergency, or put down his camera, or stop this illegal protest, or get out of the car... etc etc..

I'm sure we won't have to fear any nat'l guard or military as long as we do what they say, when they say it.

I don't mind them in the community practicing but I prefer they practice putting out sandbags, fighting a fire, doing a rescue, toys for tots is great,
BUT Crowd control, traffic, or check points HECK no I don't like it at all. they can practice that stuff in the guard parking lot with volunteers from a college and high school ROTCs not at the park w the general public. rubs me way wrong. sends the wrong message. Military CONTROL is normal.

you know i luvs ya Sassy But I've never married military and was not in it. taking orders from the military is NOT easy or 2nd nature to me, sorry. Things have gone way to far as it is for me to look at it in a purely benign way.

April 29, 1992 ... I was more than happy to have the Guard institute crowd control in CA.

revelarts
03-05-2012, 09:41 PM
The guard here was not enforcing the law. So there's no violation of posse comitatus. They are simply helping people get back and forth to their cars. Why do you always search for something evil in anything done by the military? If it was the TSA doing this then maybe you could be suspicious.
yes TSA would have been worse.lol. And I don't know Gaffer, There's just a automatic reflex to military doing work off base or a war zone that hits me as wrong in America, except as mentioned-- toys for tots or cleaning the beaches, rescue, or real nat'l emergency. Kinda raised as anti commie/fascist, the contrast of police states using the military for any and everything, secret prisons, papers please, no warrants, enemy of the state/people etc. In contrast to America where the military is under civilian leadership, bound by the constitution, never used on U.S. soil except in case of invasion, eat apple pie and such was planted deep. And my alarm bells just ring off the hook when I see military uniforms on the street or at the park pointing people to buses or trains. I know in general that this incident is no big deal AT ALL and Maybe i should tone it down a bit but the principle is a good one. There's no need for people to get use to having the military regulating peace time events or portions of peace time events.

The Anti federalist papers always stuck a cord with me in this regard as well the idea that "standing armies in a time of peace" is a very bad idea.

"The liberties of a people are in danger from a large standing army, not only because the rulers may employ them for the purposes of supporting themselves in any usurpations of power, which they may see proper to exercise, but there is great hazard, that an army will subvert the forms of the government, under whose authority, they are raised, and establish one, according to the pleasure of their leader.

We are informed, in the faithful pages of history, of such events frequently happening. — Two instances have been mentioned in a former paper. They are so remarkable, that they are worthy of the most careful attention of every lover of freedom. — They are taken from the history of the two most powerful nations that have ever existed in the world; and who are the most renowned, for the freedom they enjoyed, and the excellency of their constitutions: — I mean Rome and Britain...."

I see so many men in American fond of a standing army, and especially among those who probably will have a large share in administering the federal system; it is very evident to me, that we shall have a large standing army as soon as the monies to support them can be possibly found. An army is not a very agreeable place of employment for the young gentlemen of many families.
...we all agree, that a large standing army has a strong tendency to depress and inslave the people.

Massachusetts: "And as in times of peace, armies are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be maintained without the consent of the legislature."
Pennsylvania & North Carolina: "And as standing armies in the time of peace, are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be kept up."
Maryland & Delaware: "That standing armies are dangerous to liberty, and ought not to be raised or kept without consent of the legislature."

...when a numerous standing army shall render opposition vain...
A standing army in the hands of a government placed so independent of the people, may be made a fatal instrument to overturn the public liberties; it may be employed to enforce the collection of the most oppressive taxes, and to carry into execution the most arbitrary measures. An ambitious man who may have the army at his devotion, may step up into the throne, and seize upon absolute power.

All that sound over the top now a days but only because now we believe it can never happen here. Many early Americans thought otherwise.

April 29, 1992 ... I was more than happy to have the Guard institute crowd control in CA.

that was a riot right? full blown emergency yes, nat'l guard, i agree. But at a picnic? no thanks.

SassyLady
03-05-2012, 09:55 PM
that was a riot right? full blown emergency yes, nat'l guard, i agree. But at a picnic? no thanks.

Well, I suppose if the people at the picnic had a problem they would have said something. Not everyone is afraid of the military Rev.

revelarts
03-06-2012, 08:15 AM
Well, I suppose if the people at the picnic had a problem they would have said something. Not everyone is afraid of the military Rev.

The military's great ,in its proper place.

if I can paraphase George Washington
" The Military - is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a good servant but a fearful master. "

PostmodernProphet
03-06-2012, 08:29 AM
I can see a number of situations where it might be helpful for the guard to have experience in moving large crowds of people from one location to another.......sounds like a better training experience than polishing weapons......

Mr. P
03-06-2012, 09:11 AM
I'm guessing here, but I'll bet this was an MP unit and they did this on their "Drill" weekend to meet training requirements for dealing with crowds. A beneficial exercise in the event they are called to a high population urban area in any emergency.

Hey Rev, did you see the BLACK helicopter taking pictures of the crowd? :rolleyes:

CSM
03-06-2012, 09:14 AM
I'm guessing here, but I'll bet this was an MP unit and they did this on their "Drill" weekend to meet training requirements for dealing with crowds. A beneficial exercise in the event they are called to a high population urban area in any emergency.

Hey Rev, did you see the BLACK helicopter taking pictures of the crowd? :rolleyes:

Don't be silly. People seldom get to see the black helicopter until they are inside it!

Dilloduck
03-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Don't be silly. People seldom get to see the black helicopter until they are inside it!

I'm always blindolded when they put me in there.

revelarts
03-06-2012, 10:01 AM

Well I didn't want to say anything but now that you mention it....

:laugh: