PDA

View Full Version : Ann Romney "I don't consider myself wealthy"

LiberalNation
03-06-2012, 08:49 AM
Clearly out of touch and never been poor or she'd appreciate her easy lifestyle a lot more.
http://news.yahoo.com/ann-romney-talking-awkwardly-money-now-too-225101365.html

Speaking on Fox News Monday, Ann Romney showed that her husband's habit of making uncomfortable references to their wealth is rubbing off. Attempting to make the point that there are things more important than money, she instead uttered, "I don't even consider myself wealthy, which is an interesting thing. It can be here today gone tomorrow." During the same interview, speaking about the horseback riding therapy she uses to treat her multiple sclerosis, she said, according to Boston Globe reporter Michael Levenson, "Some people have lovers in every port; I have horses in every port." Surely she doesn't actually have a horse in every port (though she does have a very expensive collection of horses). But with a Cadillac in at least two ports, as her husband so helpfully pointed out last month, the comment, along with "I don't even consider myself wealthy," is bound to get a few raised eyebrows.
Meanwhile, at an event Monday, Romney introduced his wife as "a heavyweight champion" before immediately laughing and correcting himself. "I didn't mean weight," he said. "That didn’t come out right. She’s just a great fighter is what I mean." Kind of an endearing gaffe, since Ann seemed to take it in stride, but still. Monday has been quite a day for Team Romney.

CSM
03-06-2012, 08:53 AM
Clearly out of touch and never been poor or she'd appreciate her easy lifestyle a lot more.

Speaking on Fox News Monday, Ann Romney showed that her husband's habit of making uncomfortable references to their wealth is rubbing off. Attempting to make the point that there are things more important than money, she instead uttered, "I don't even consider myself wealthy, which is an interesting thing. It can be here today gone tomorrow." During the same interview, speaking about the horseback riding therapy she uses to treat her multiple sclerosis, she said, according to Boston Globe reporter Michael Levenson, "Some people have lovers in every port; I have horses in every port." Surely she doesn't actually have a horse in every port (though she does have a very expensive collection of horses). But with a Cadillac in at least two ports, as her husband so helpfully pointed out last month, the comment, along with "I don't even consider myself wealthy," is bound to get a few raised eyebrows.
Meanwhile, at an event Monday, Romney introduced his wife as "a heavyweight champion" before immediately laughing and correcting himself. "I didn't mean weight," he said. "That didn’t come out right. She’s just a great fighter is what I mean." Kind of an endearing gaffe, since Ann seemed to take it in stride, but still. Monday has been quite a day for Team Romney.

Did you ever notice that those with money will say crap like that as they if they have to defend being succesful? I believe they are certainly out of touch wtih those who have far less wealth and unless they are running for elected office really don't give a crap that they are out of touch.

fj1200
03-06-2012, 11:10 AM

You'd rather she "appreciate" her lifestyle more and lord it over the little people? Maybe she realizes that her wealth still can't keep her from having MS.

tailfins
03-06-2012, 11:47 AM
All I see is Ann Romney acknowledging that wealth can evaporate in an instant. Many fortunes have disappeared in this downturn. I say downturn so no one navel gazes whether or not we are in a technical recession.

LuvRPgrl
03-06-2012, 12:02 PM

Speaking on Fox News Monday, Ann Romney showed that her husband's habit of making uncomfortable references to their wealth is rubbing off. Attempting to make the point that there are things more important than money, she instead uttered, "I don't even consider quite a day for Team Romney.

so what?
talk about HATING

Noir
03-06-2012, 12:05 PM
Someone with a wealth of hundreds of millions doesn't consider themselves wealthy? Bizarre statement is bizarre.

jimnyc
03-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Someone with a wealth of hundreds of millions doesn't consider themselves wealthy? Bizarre statement is bizarre.

Bizarre, to me, is caring what the hell this woman thinks.

logroller
03-06-2012, 12:24 PM
I don't consider myself a Caucasian...I just am.

tailfins
03-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Bizarre, to me, is caring what the hell this woman thinks.

So you want people to care what you think, but you don't want to care what others think. Got it. I would like to cordially invite Ann and Mitt Romney to join debatepolicy.com and express their opinions right here!

LuvRPgrl
03-06-2012, 12:46 PM

so what?
talk about HATING

Noir
03-06-2012, 12:49 PM
so what?
talk about HATING

hm?
Who's hating?

LuvRPgrl
03-06-2012, 01:00 PM
hm?
Who's hating?

you guys can still afford ;mirrors in your bathrooms? if so, go look

Noir
03-06-2012, 01:06 PM
you guys can still afford ;mirrors in your bathrooms? if so, go look

True story - the shaving mirror in our bathroom broke this weekend just past (it was an extendable one and unknown to us the bottom was twisted to hold the top of the mirror in tight, that loosened over time and the mirror fell off), so we don't actually have a mirror in our bathroom atm, js ^,^

krisy
03-06-2012, 01:41 PM
To me,it sounds as if she is saying she doesn't feel wealthy,or walk around with a holier than thou attitude because she is. Big deal.

I think the Romneys are just picked on because they are rich. More power to Mitt,he worked hard and made a fortune. I've heard a couple of stories about him that contradicted his nose being in the air.

One was about an employee of his had a daughter who was kidnapped/missing. He shut the company down and they went searching for this kid,and found her.

The other was an older black woman talking to him about her electric bill. He pulled the money out of his wallet and paid it for her. This was not in front of the press. She herself went to the press with it.

Rich people have been made to feel bad for their success and branded as snits by people that don't even know them.

Thunderknuckles
03-06-2012, 01:52 PM
In the world of politics, perception is reality and her statements didn't do the Romney campaign any good. Then again, I don't think it did any significant damage either.
This one will blow over soon enough.

SassyLady
03-06-2012, 01:59 PM
I took the statement as meaning that she does not walk around thinking to herself "I'm wealthy, I'm wealthy".....her life is what it is. If someone were to say "I don't think of myself as poor" would you beat them over the head with it?

As for having a collection of horses ... so what? Those horses need to be taken care of and I'm sure it's providing employment to people in all those "ports" so it's helping the economy.

jimnyc
03-06-2012, 02:36 PM
So you want people to care what you think, but you don't want to care what others think. Got it. I would like to cordially invite Ann and Mitt Romney to join debatepolicy.com and express their opinions right here!

WTF are you babbling about? This whole post makes very little sense.

logroller
03-06-2012, 02:58 PM
Anybody know the comedian who said "Kobe Bryant is rich; the guy who signs his checks is wealthy." which isn't as funny as it is genius. I mean, Ann romney is certainly loaded; but what does she do with her money-- keeping horses, I don't think you even need to be rich to do that; but owning a quartermillion worth of horses, importing stock from europe and competing in dressage, successfully I might add. I dont even know what dressage entails, or how it's different than riding horses--
Heres a picture of dressage
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hannoveraner_Dressur_Goethe_3_bestes.jpg

that sure looks wealthy to me--regardless of whether one considers oneself to be.

Noir
03-06-2012, 03:01 PM
Anybody know the comedian who said "Kobe Bryant is rich; the guy who signs his checks is wealthy." which isn't as funny as it is genius. I mean, Ann romney is certainly loaded; but what does she do with her money-- keeping horses, I don't think you even need to be rich to do that; but owning a quartermillion worth of horses, importing stock from europe and competing in dressage, successfully I might add. I dont even know what dressage entails, or how it's different than riding horses--
Heres a picture of dressage

that sure looks wealthy to me--regardless of whether one considers oneself to be.

T'was Chris Rock

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4m37JkkGjAY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Trigg
03-06-2012, 03:28 PM
The middle class in this country are seen as wealthy beyond all immagination in Haiti and other 3rd world countries.

I don't have a problem with wealthy people, as long as they made it in an honest way.

I hope the libs on this board realize that almost every congressman is a millionare a couple of times over. John Kerry's wife is from the the Heinz Ketchup family and is fabulously wealthy, but no one had a problem with that when he ran.

The MSM conveniently forgets the wealthy libs and so it seems to the sheep in that party.

SassyLady
03-06-2012, 03:59 PM
The middle class in this country are seen as wealthy beyond all immagination in Haiti and other 3rd world countries.

I don't have a problem with wealthy people, as long as they made it in an honest way.

I hope the libs on this board realize that almost every congressman is a millionare a couple of times over. John Kerry's wife is from the the Heinz Ketchup family and is fabulously wealthy, but no one had a problem with that when he ran.

The MSM conveniently forgets the wealthy libs and so it seems to the sheep in that party.

Me too!

tailfins
03-06-2012, 04:14 PM
WTF are you babbling about? This whole post makes very little sense.

You think it's bizarre for people to listen to Ann Romney's opinion: Why is your opinion more valuable than her's? I would say that you referring to people's comments as "babbling" is far more condescending than Ann Romney talking about her finances. I would say that considering the opinion of a snot-nosed malcontent such as yourself is more bizarre than considering Ann Romney's. Now do you understand or do I have to "dumb it down" even more?

jimnyc
03-06-2012, 04:22 PM
You think it's bizarre for people to listen to Ann Romney's opinion: Why is your opinion more valuable than her's? I would say that you referring to people's comments as "babbling" is far more condescending than Ann Romney talking about her finances. I would say that considering the opinion of a snot-nosed malcontent such as yourself is more bizarre than considering Ann Romney's. Now do you understand or do I have to "dumb it down" even more?

There's a reason I've primarily ignored every post you've made on this board, because you come off as an uneducated idiot. This is a "political" board and we are in the political discussion forum, and in that sense, I don't give a flying fuck what Ann Romney thinks. But not once did I state my opinion was "more valuable" than hers, or anyone elses for that fact. I just don't think her discussing her own finances amounts to jack shit in the long run, and I find it bizarre that people will run and make a big deal with shit like this.

I'm a "snot nosed malcontent" because you disagree with me voicing my opinion? LOL

As for dumbing down your posts... I didn't think it was even possible. But if you can be more of an idiot than you have been in your last 50 or so posts, go for it.

logroller
03-06-2012, 04:41 PM
All I see is Ann Romney acknowledging that wealth can evaporate in an instant. Many fortunes have disappeared in this downturn. I say downturn so no one navel gazes whether or not we are in a technical recession.

Not hers. Not most "wealthy" peoples. I would think someone being wealthy usually implies a diverse collection of assets which not only weather most any downturn, but come out relatively better; and when you look at the concentration of wealth in this country...the facts support that.

darin
03-06-2012, 04:42 PM
Clearly Mrs Romney is defining her wealth in terms of family friends. LN, your explanation/thoughts on her comment indicate you suffer from a mental/emotional disability.

logroller
03-06-2012, 04:55 PM
Clearly Mrs Romney is defining her wealth in terms of family friends. LN, your explanation/thoughts on her comment indicate you suffer from a mental/emotional disability.

My favorite color is orange; someone told me once that favoring orange indicates mental/emotional instability...which I totally disagree with....so I burned their house to the ground! :laugh2:

LuvRPgrl
03-06-2012, 07:26 PM
True story - the shaving mirror in our bathroom broke this weekend just past (it was an extendable one and unknown to us the bottom was twisted to hold the top of the mirror in tight, that loosened over time and the mirror fell off), so we don't actually have a mirror in our bathroom atm, js ^,^

that explains your hair !:poke:

LuvRPgrl
03-06-2012, 07:29 PM
To me,it sounds as if she is saying she doesn't feel wealthy,or walk around with a holier than thou attitude because she is. Big deal.

I think the Romneys are just picked on because they are rich. More power to Mitt,he worked hard and made a fortune. I've heard a couple of stories about him that contradicted his nose being in the air.

One was about an employee of his had a daughter who was kidnapped/missing. He shut the company down and they went searching for this kid,and found her.

The other was an older black woman talking to him about her electric bill. He pulled the money out of his wallet and paid it for her. This was not in front of the press. She herself went to the press with it.

Rich people have been made to feel bad for their success and branded as snits by people that don't even know them.

generalizing all rich people as selfish snobs is no different than labeling poor people as criminals or stupid.

logroller
03-06-2012, 09:46 PM
generalizing all rich people as selfish snobs is no different than labeling poor people as criminals or stupid.

I know right-- poor people are just lazy...everybody knows that:laugh2:

Seriously though, [Here today, gone tomorrow] the Ann Romney comments were definitely a 'let them eat cake' response-- $250 million doesn't just disappear overnight...legally anyway.

tailfins
03-06-2012, 10:19 PM
There's a reason I've primarily ignored every post you've made on this board, because you come off as an uneducated idiot. This is a "political" board and we are in the political discussion forum, and in that sense, I don't give a flying fuck what Ann Romney thinks. But not once did I state my opinion was "more valuable" than hers, or anyone elses for that fact. I just don't think her discussing her own finances amounts to jack shit in the long run, and I find it bizarre that people will run and make a big deal with shit like this.

I'm a "snot nosed malcontent" because you disagree with me voicing my opinion? LOL

As for dumbing down your posts... I didn't think it was even possible. But if you can be more of an idiot than you have been in your last 50 or so posts, go for it.

You confuse being an asshole with being intelligent. I consider pretty well all points of view, unless coming from an ill-mannered asshole like yourself.

jimnyc
03-06-2012, 10:25 PM
You confuse being an asshole with being intelligent. I consider pretty well all points of view, unless coming from an ill-mannered asshole like yourself.

I'm not too concerned with what you think of me, and am confident I won't lose any sleep. :gives::ahole:

Shadow
03-06-2012, 10:38 PM

Not sure why her comments should "raise eyebrows". I've known many wealthy people that were very down to earth despite their bank account...worked for a couple in the past. House sat for another.

I really think that people like you would have bitched about her comments no matter which way she spoke about her wealth. If she embraced it too much, then she would have still been called "out of touch". I think people were just looking for things to harp on in her comments,didn't matter what she said.

logroller
03-07-2012, 12:08 AM
Not sure why her comments should "raise eyebrows". I've known many wealthy people that were very down to earth despite their bank account...worked for a couple in the past. House sat for another.

I really think that people like you would have bitched about her comments no matter which way she spoke about her wealth. If she embraced it too much, then she would have still been called "out of touch". I think people were just looking for things to harp on in her comments,didn't matter what she said.

Great post. Kinda made me question my own bias; as I've certainly thought that Romney is 'out of touch'. i got thinking too-- when was the last time we had 'poor' republican nominee? And would it matter whether they were living paycheck to paycheck before running for pres or been eating out silver spoons since birth-- how much weight should we give to the President's finances?

DragonStryk72
03-07-2012, 12:49 AM

Wait, hold on, you're actually contending that a woman with Multiple Sclerosis has an "easy lifestyle"? I used to do fund-raisers through my karate dojo for them, and there ain't anything easy about it, even if you do beat it.

Maybe you should stop judging people by how much money they have. just saying, there are other, far more important things.

03-07-2012, 01:07 AM
I see nothing odd about what she says. Most people don't think of themselves as rich or poor. They look at themselves as individuals. Seems to me she is pretty grounded.

DragonStryk72
03-07-2012, 01:18 AM
I see nothing odd about what she says. Most people don't think of themselves as rich or poor. They look at themselves as individuals. Seems to me she is pretty grounded.

Well, I see myself as poor, but that's more a statement of reality at this point, lol

SassyLady
03-07-2012, 02:16 AM
Great post. Kinda made me question my own bias; as I've certainly thought that Romney is 'out of touch'. i got thinking too-- when was the last time we had 'poor' republican nominee? And would it matter whether they were living paycheck to paycheck before running for pres or been eating out silver spoons since birth-- how much weight should we give to the President's finances?

Some of the wealthiest people I've known in the past were dairymen who worked their butts off. They not only had the milk cows to take care of, but they grew the feed so they were farmers too. Very down to earth, hard working people.

President's finances - I'd want to check to see if he had managed what he earned to make sure he could make sound financial decisions. I put more weight behind someone who has earned their money rather than those that inherited or married it, like Kerry for example.

03-07-2012, 03:07 AM
Well, I see myself as poor, but that's more a statement of reality at this point, lol

I understand. I know I am poor. But I dont think of myself as poor. Ive got so many other blessings that money, while it would be nice, is not super important in the eternal scheme fo things. I certainly dont think of myself as belonging to a class of people because of my lack of money nor do I think someone is a higher class because he has more money than me. If he has earned more money than me, I wish him the best and hope that he is blessed more as I would someone who made less than me.

This is the United States of America. We dont have classes here. And we certainly shouldnt hate one another because we have more or less money than another. We all have the opportunity to make great money and loss great money if we live by or fail to live by the laws that govern wealth.

We shouldnt let the left divide us like they want simply because they want power over us.

tailfins
03-07-2012, 10:37 AM
We shouldnt let the left divide us like they want simply because they want power over us.

Left-Right is not a binary thing. I know some decent liberals. Being appalled by the death penalty for example is different than being a poverty pimp. Neither all liberals nor all conservatives are created equal.

Gaffer
03-07-2012, 10:48 AM

When was the last time we had a poor democrat nominee. Find me a poor senator or representative for that matter.

LiberalNation
03-07-2012, 11:02 AM
This is the United States of America. We dont have classes here.

Yes we do, it's called the haves, and the have nots with the majority being have nots.

MtnBiker
03-07-2012, 11:57 AM

Ah soundbite politics.

Is Ann Romney out of touch? Hmmm, do not know. On the other hand, perhaps she will be proud of America for the first time once her husband is nominated.

logroller
03-07-2012, 12:07 PM
When was the last time we had a poor democrat nominee. Find me a poor senator or representative for that matter.

I suppose we all define 'poor' (and thus, 'wealthy' or 'rich') relative to our own experience. I was raised middle class to two working parents; I'm sure plenty of people saw me as rich. But that's not entirely fair, I would of liked to have more time with my parents-- but such is life. Bill Clinton, for example; his dad died before he was born, and had an drunken, abusive stepfather. I doubt his living conditions were rich by my standards; though relative to average child in his town, he may have been. He also had loving grandparents that instilled within him values on equal rights in the segregated south-- that's rich in a sense. So, certainly we've had presidents who were born to families which had a fair share of trials and tribulations. Thems the breaks I guess; people can't decide to whom they are born, but they can decide what they do about it-- and that's what we should judge them on IMHO.
As to reps and senators; I don't have a problem with someone who has wealth going into politics-- the fact they so many get more wealthy after being there concerns me. There are few; here's a net worth assessment (http://www.opensecrets.org/pfds/overview.php?type=W&year=2010&filter=C&sort=A) from 2010-- some have huge debts, not sure I'd call them poor. Others appear rather modest, Balart (R-Fla) and Ellison (D-Minn) just to name two.

logroller
03-07-2012, 12:13 PM
Yes we do, it's called the haves, and the have nots with the majority being have nots.

Its all relative. Technically, it be the halves-- you know I mean?

tailfins
03-07-2012, 12:14 PM

If we define the division as above or below the median, the median world income is about $7,000 per year. $50,000 per year puts you in the top one percent. Do you support putting most of the US population near that $7,000 per year to transfer funds to those under $7,000 per year?

LuvRPgrl
03-07-2012, 12:15 PM

santorum, if he had romney's money, he might very well be leading

LuvRPgrl
03-07-2012, 12:26 PM
Left-Right is not a binary thing. I know some decent liberals. Being appalled by the death penalty for example is different than being a poverty pimp. Neither all liberals nor all conservatives are created equal.

Care to share,
the names of
all 3 of them?

what is a poverty pimp,
and who isnt appalled by the death penalty?

LuvRPgrl
03-07-2012, 12:33 PM

so ;you would prefer one class, the have nots?

tailfins
03-07-2012, 01:04 PM
Care to share,
the names of
all 3 of them?

what is a poverty pimp,

Since living in New England, I have learned what I like to call patrician courtesy. I know many courteous liberals, they tend to value not being conspicuous. If you want a public figure that fits the description, think of Michael Dukakis. A poverty pimp is someone who gains power by exploiting poverty and pandering to the poor. Al Sharpton is an example of a poverty pimp.

fj1200
03-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Yes we do, it's called the haves, and the have tvs, cars, cell phones, central air, etc. nots with the majority being have tvs, cars, cell phones, central air, etc. nots.

Fixed it for you... unless you have another definition of "have not."

tailfins
03-07-2012, 02:29 PM
Care to share,
the names of
all 3 of them?

what is a poverty pimp,

I gave your comment some more thought. Surprisingly a substantial portion of the gay community is decent. My mindset with gays is this: You wouldn't expect an Orthodox Jew to approve of eating pork, an old-school Christian to drink alcohol or an Amish person to use an iPhone. Why would you expect people to approve of what they believe makes God angry regarding homosexuality? There are reasonable gays that accept that premise.

LiberalNation
03-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Fixed it for you... unless you have another definition of "have not."

wealth is relative.....I'm poor by this countries standards, rich by many african countries.

DragonStryk72
03-07-2012, 07:17 PM
wealth is relative.....I'm poor by this countries standards, rich by many african countries.

There's a difference, however, between "poor" and "bad at saving". I work however much I can, I rarely if ever eat out and I'm stretching food stamps. I hawked my HDTV, 360, games, most of my movies, and even my ornamental katana to get by. That's poor, LN. If you're able to eat out, buy booze, afford cigarettes, buy movies, and regularly eat things that aren't mac & cheese or ramen on a regular basis, and you don't have any money, that's bad at saving.

sundaydriver
03-07-2012, 08:20 PM
I doubt that her statement about not feeling rich is as bad as Mitt wanting to wager 10 grand on national TV. That being said, I do see it as her perspective of the world she lives in and the people that they associate with that are very well off themselves which does insulate most of them from main stream America's everyday life.
Many times I've read or heard someone speak of growing up dirt poor but not knowing that they were poor because they lived just like every other family in the vicinity and that's all they saw.

fj1200
03-08-2012, 12:46 AM

Military pay is that bad?

LiberalNation
03-08-2012, 08:26 AM
Guard pay is $160 a month and I had to live off that for 3 months trying to get this min wage job I'm now working. Thank you mommy in daddy for helping support me.

I was almost homeless before I moved back home, a home I got kicked out of for a few months because my parents didn't like that I was gay, they got over it, I get free rent.

fj1200
03-08-2012, 08:49 AM
^As long as you don't sow the seeds of envy.

Shadow
03-08-2012, 09:24 AM
^As long as you don't sow the seeds of envy.

Or seem bitter at all. :thumb:

DragonStryk72
03-08-2012, 02:12 PM
Military pay is that bad?

Oh yeah, below E-4, even if you're full active, you're below poverty line, and you can qualify for food stamps and even welfare in some places.

SassyLady
03-09-2012, 12:13 AM
Oh yeah, below E-4, even if you're full active, you're below poverty line, and you can qualify for food stamps and even welfare in some places.

An E-4 ranges from $1,900-$2,400/month depending on years of service. What is the max someone can collect in unemployment per month in your state. Probably more then an E-4 with 18 years of service.

However, I'd like to point out ... if someone is still an E-4 after that many years of service they aren't probably going to make much in the private sector either.

http://www.dfas.mil/militarymembers/payentitlements/militarypaytables.html

Shadow
03-09-2012, 09:06 PM

Me too...one of my friends also belongs to the socialist party. We just can't talk about politics,and I can't be around them for long periods of time either.

DragonStryk72
03-10-2012, 09:05 PM
An E-4 ranges from $1,900-$2,400/month depending on years of service. What is the max someone can collect in unemployment per month in your state. Probably more then an E-4 with 18 years of service.

However, I'd like to point out ... if someone is still an E-4 after that many years of service they aren't probably going to make much in the private sector either.

http://www.dfas.mil/militarymembers/payentitlements/militarypaytables.html

Well, actually, they won't let you stay in 18 years at E-4. After a while it's "move up or move out", so that you don't get people who make a rank and then just sit on it til they can get retirement.