PDA

View Full Version : Woman still collecting food stamps after winning $1 million lottery

Abbey Marie
03-07-2012, 05:28 PM
Amazing...

Michigan woman still collecting food stamps after winning $1 million lottery

...Amanda Clayton, who won $1 million in the Michigan State Lottery but is still collecting food stamps.

"I thought that they would cut me off, but since they didn't, I thought maybe it was OK because I'm not working," Clayton, 24, told Local 4 news in Detroit.
Back in December, a woman in Washington State fell under scrutiny when it was revealed she was receiving state economic benefits even though she lives in a $1 million waterfront home on Lake Washington.
Clayton, who says she owns two homes and a new car, receives $200 a month in food assistance from the state-issued Michigan Bridge Card, which is meant to benefit lower-income residents in the nation's eight most economically depressed state.

Twenty-five percent of Michigan's residents receive some form of food assistance from the state. The state's unemployment rate is 9.3 percent, more than a full point above the national average, but has dropped from a 10.4 percent peak in August.
And Clayton isn't embarrassed about living off the state even though she now finds herself in the nation's top tax bracket. "I mean I kinda do," Clayton told Local 4 when asked if she had a "right" to the government welfare.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/michigan-woman-still-collecting-food-stamps-winning-1-201751693.html

LiberalNation
03-07-2012, 05:28 PM
Fail

gabosaurus
03-07-2012, 06:18 PM
My opinion of the woman is...

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/29522e6814248d945433be22da8437ec31cc.pjpeg

03-08-2012, 02:55 AM
"I kind of do"? Please, go to school.

03-08-2012, 03:25 AM
Also, why does a woman with two homes qualify for food stamps?

You all realize she had money to buy lottery tickets despite being on food stamps. So in other words, the state was indirectly subsidizing her lottery habit and she only won this money because the tax payers take care of her.

Shadow
03-08-2012, 09:23 AM
Amazing...

So, basically a case of....it's fine for me...just not for you. She justifies this because even though she won 1 million dollars,she has no job and has to pay for her two houses? Really??

Yet...I'm sure she will be one of the first nitwits to cry that the "rich" have too much.

Sadly....there are probably more of this type around then the go getters these days.

darin
03-08-2012, 09:44 AM
Just reported: her benefits stopped today.

fj1200
03-08-2012, 10:18 AM
^Not to worry, she'll be back on the stamps in two years.

krisy
03-09-2012, 08:32 AM
I just talked to a friend that works at a Kroger that draws costumers from a poor area. She said that the fraud she sees going on with the food stamp cards is very common. They aren't allowed to do anything about it as cashiers unless they witness money changing hands from one person to another for the card.

Shadow
03-09-2012, 09:05 AM
I just talked to a friend that works at a Kroger that draws costumers from a poor area. She said that the fraud she sees going on with the food stamp cards is very common. They aren't allowed to do anything about it as cashiers unless they witness money changing hands from one person to another for the card.

Ever been behind some of these people in line at the grocery store? They eat way better than my family that's for sure. I'm scrimping ...buying mostly hamburger and chicken along with generic products trying to use coupons when possible and trying to make the money stretch as far as possible. They are purchasing steak and crab legs....and loading their cart to the hilt with brand name items and stuff from the deli and bakery.

ConHog
03-09-2012, 09:29 AM
Ever been behind some of these people in line at the grocery store? They eat way better than my family that's for sure. I'm scrimping ...buying mostly hamburger and chicken along with generic products trying to use coupons when possible and trying to make the money stretch as far as possible. They are purchasing steak and crab legs....and loading their cart to the hilt with brand name items and stuff from the deli and bakery.

I've seen people buying tuna to feed their cat.

My God, I'm all for helping people, but people caught flat out stealing like this should be sent to jail. At a minimum they should force her to sell one of her houses to repay the system.

Shadow
03-09-2012, 09:34 AM
I've seen people buying tuna to feed their cat.

My God, I'm all for helping people, but people caught flat out stealing like this should be sent to jail. At a minimum they should force her to sell one of her houses to repay the system.

Reminds me. I knew a lady that would go out and get her free rations from the government every month. Then give me (and some of her other friends) all the stuff she didn't like because it was "low quality" (usually stuff like canned meat,hot cereal and powdered milk). Then turn around and go buy whole chickens to make soup for her dogs. :laugh:

Yeah she REALLY needed the help...not.

krisy
03-09-2012, 11:09 AM

No kidding.My friends and I at work have talked about how they will be paying with food stamps and have their nails done,have spectacular clothes on and have name brand food and pop. Meanwhile we are there in our work clothes wondering how someone on food stamps could afford to dress like that.

My friend said that they also like to fill the cart with everything they want,not have enough on their food stamp card to pay for it,then leave the rest of the cart there for an employee to put back. They don't keep any track of what they are getting. I add everything I put in my cart as I go.:2up:

Abbey Marie
03-09-2012, 05:01 PM
How frustrating and sad this country is becoming.

Shadow
03-09-2012, 08:48 PM
No kidding.My friends and I at work have talked about how they will be paying with food stamps and have their nails done,have spectacular clothes on and have name brand food and pop. Meanwhile we are there in our work clothes wondering how someone on food stamps could afford to dress like that.

My friend said that they also like to fill the cart with everything they want,not have enough on their food stamp card to pay for it,then leave the rest of the cart there for an employee to put back. They don't keep any track of what they are getting. I add everything I put in my cart as I go.:2up:

That is because they don't have to pay for it themselves. So,not only do they not appreciate it...teaches them to be greedy and selfish too.

Yeah...It amazed me how many mom's with designer clothes,purses and salon hair/nails would show up to CYFD to get free daycare sevice for their 10 kids.

Amazing.

LuvRPgrl
03-10-2012, 12:02 AM
Amazing...

Whats the big deal.?
I would collect food stamps, or any other gov t benefits I could.

You do realize she has already paid for all the food sstamps ;and any other govt benefits she has, or ever ;will, get.
Her taxes were over ,$400,000 thats the real crime.
I dont hear people bitching about that.

yea, yea yea, most people would say, she got a million dollars, so what if she had to pay that much in taxes.
But in actuality, what she got isnt that much, especially these days
Im not sure how she got two houses, or if they are both paid off,
but if you think about it, if she uses the money to purchase a house, which may very well take all of it,
then all she is left with is her same situation, minus a mortgage payment.
Yea, no mortgage payment is nice, but it certainly isnt being independaly wealthy,

and she would still be having problems paying her bills.