PDA

View Full Version : Women's Group Presses Obama on Limbaugh/Maher Double Standard

Shadow
03-08-2012, 11:39 PM
After making a point of standing up for
women during the Rush
Limbaugh (http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/rush-limbaugh-apologizes-calling-sandra-fluke-slut/story?id=15841687#.T1j-pMhAJeM) controversy, President Obama is taking flak from one
corner for not speaking out against "vile misogynist" and liberal Obama
supporter Bill
Maher.

Maher, a comedian who specializes in
politics, is also a $1
million contributor to Priorities USA Action (http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/02/to-bill-maher-super-pacs-are-the-designated-hitters/), a super PAC that supports
Obama's reelection.

Penny Nance, president of the conservative
group Concerned Women for
America, said in a letter to White House chief of staff Jack Lew that
Obama "needs to publicly disassociate himself from Priorities USA" until it returns Maher's
money.

"President Obama cannot put forth the
eloquent position he announced on Tuesday, while sending administration
officials out to raise money for an organization that not only counts a vile
misogynist as its largest single donor, but whose executives actively boast
about that vile misogynist's support," Nance wrote in her letter to Lew.

http://news.yahoo.com/womens-group-presses-obama-limbaugh-maher-double-standard-180900671--abc-news.html

SassyLady
03-08-2012, 11:42 PM
After making a point of standing up for
women during the Rush
Limbaugh (http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/rush-limbaugh-apologizes-calling-sandra-fluke-slut/story?id=15841687#.T1j-pMhAJeM) controversy, President Obama is taking flak from one
corner for not speaking out against "vile misogynist" and liberal Obama
supporter Bill
Maher.

Maher, a comedian who specializes in
politics, is also a $1
million contributor to Priorities USA Action (http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/02/to-bill-maher-super-pacs-are-the-designated-hitters/), a super PAC that supports
Obama's reelection.

Penny Nance, president of the conservative
group Concerned Women for
America, said in a letter to White House chief of staff Jack Lew that
Obama "needs to publicly disassociate himself from Priorities USA" until it returns Maher's
money.

"President Obama cannot put forth the
eloquent position he announced on Tuesday, while sending administration
officials out to raise money for an organization that not only counts a vile
misogynist as its largest single donor, but whose executives actively boast
about that vile misogynist's support," Nance wrote in her letter to Lew.

http://news.yahoo.com/womens-group-presses-obama-limbaugh-maher-double-standard-180900671--abc-news.html

Uh oh!

krisy
03-09-2012, 08:20 AM
I have to say that these guys should have the freedom of speech to say the things they said.

I do think tho,that they were both wrong in saying what they said. Problem is there is a HUGE double standard. The only liberal that has defended Rush Limbaugh and pointed out Bill Maher's comments was Kirsten Powers who frequents Fox news. I was just listening to Geraaaaaldo on Fox saying that Rush is different tho,Sarah Palin is different tho. Bullsh*t!

Rush and Maher are both entertainers period. If you call out Rush there is NO reason you can't call out Maher who repulses me. I also believe that Sarah Palin has gotten waaaaay worse than most politicians. The media has gone after her children,her marriage,and even had a jackass book writer move in next door to her. They don't go near Obama's kids,and they shouldn't.

Anyone defending Maher and not Rush has no good reason.

I hope this woman's group keeps the pressure on Obama. I wonder how much we will hear in the media about this story?

Shadow
03-09-2012, 08:38 AM
I have to say that these guys should have the freedom of speech to say the things they said.

I do think tho,that they were both wrong in saying what they said. Problem is there is a HUGE double standard. The only liberal that has defended Rush Limbaugh and pointed out Bill Maher's comments was Kirsten Powers who frequents Fox news. I was just listening to Geraaaaaldo on Fox saying that Rush is different tho,Sarah Palin is different tho. Bullsh*t!

Rush and Maher are both entertainers period. If you call out Rush there is NO reason you can't call out Maher who repulses me. I also believe that Sarah Palin has gotten waaaaay worse than most politicians. The media has gone after her children,her marriage,and even had a jackass book writer move in next door to her. They don't go near Obama's kids,and they shouldn't.

Anyone defending Maher and not Rush has no good reason.

I hope this woman's group keeps the pressure on Obama. I wonder how much we will hear in the media about this story?

Totally agree. I'm sick of hearing the up roar over every slight by conservatives...especially when lefties egage in this kind of attack,it comes from both the men and the women and it's relentless (see Sarah PAlin and her daughters)...then justified with lots of lame excuses. Doesn't cut it with me...either condemn it ALL the time or STFU.

Obama has no business lecturing the masses...if he is not going to walk the walk. Like everything else he egages in... his stance on this is just more phoney BS.

ConHog
03-09-2012, 09:32 AM
not to stray too far off topic, but the term misogynist is so stupid. Obviously Rush doesn't hate women. I seriously doubt Maher does either.

I'm sick of women who use that term to deride anyone who ever says anything negative to or about a woman. It's no better than someone screaming racist at someone who criticizes the O.

Shadow
03-09-2012, 09:38 AM
not to stray too far off topic, but the term misogynist is so stupid. Obviously Rush doesn't hate women. I seriously doubt Maher does either.

I'm sick of women who use that term to deride anyone who ever says anything negative to or about a woman. It's no better than someone screaming racist at someone who criticizes the O.

That's because they abuse it. Lots of women especially the ones I have seen on message boards scream "misogynist" over every word uttered that relates to women...negative or not. Kinda like the boy who cried wolf. Funny thing? Then these same nitwits will turn around and call other women bitches...bimbo's and sluts.

jimnyc
03-09-2012, 11:31 AM
And I wonder why Gabby or Wind Song weren't here almost instantly to condemn Maher's language. Future excuses aside, I find it ludicrous that some things I see in the media are portrayed as pure evil, and then things like this barely make the news, and even don't from some media outlets. Fox may lean to the conservative side, but at least they report everything, even if it's another conservative, and even if they may downplay things - at least it's ALL reported.

krisy
03-09-2012, 11:37 AM
The beating that Sarah Palin's kids and family took was inhuman. What is soooo wonderful about it tho,she is still out there everyday talkin her talk and walkin her walk

tailfins
03-09-2012, 12:22 PM
Who cares either way? Everyone involved knew what they were signing up for. Bristol Palin was sure happy to be on Dancing With The Stars. Sandra Fluke was happy to get headlines and contact from Obama. Even Limbaugh came out ahead for the cost of "a few fries being dropped at the drive through". I only see one group of weasels in this equation: The sponsors that dropped Limbaugh. It is "perception management" on steroids. I pity anyone that works for these organizations and does something that "looks bad". Hey Carbonite: :upyours:

krisy
03-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Who cares either way? Everyone involved knew what they were signing up for. Bristol Palin was sure happy to be on Dancing With The Stars. Sandra Fluke was happy to get headlines and contact from Obama. Even Limbaugh came out ahead for the cost of "a few fries being dropped at the drive through". I only see one group of weasels in this equation: The sponsors that dropped Limbaugh. It is "perception management" on steroids. I pity anyone that works for these organizations and does something that "looks bad". Hey Carbonite: :upyours:

Sure,they all knew they would get media attention,but at NO time is it all right to attack the children of these people.Also,it's not wrong to expect descency to prevail.

tailfins
03-09-2012, 01:27 PM
Sure,they all knew they would get media attention,but at NO time is it all right to attack the children of these people.Also,it's not wrong to expect descency to prevail.

I'm surprised when decency prevails. Nowadays if you want to stand out, be gracious. Crudeness is the norm, graciousness is shocking.

LuvRPgrl
03-09-2012, 02:34 PM
And I wonder why Gabby or Wind Song weren't here almost instantly to condemn Maher's language. Future excuses aside, I find it ludicrous that some things I see in the media are portrayed as pure evil, and then things like this barely make the news, and even don't from some media outlets. Fox may lean to the conservative side, but at least they report everything, even if it's another conservative, and even if they may downplay things - at least it's ALL reported.

because they arent women?

Shadow
03-09-2012, 09:01 PM
I'm surprised when decency prevails. Nowadays if you want to stand out, be gracious. Crudeness is the norm, graciousness is shocking.

Me too actually...but, that is still a sad (but true) view of some people's character in today's society. That people feel that they need to mock or tear down others to make themselves feel better or more superior somehow.

RadiomanATL
03-10-2012, 10:59 AM
Strange bedfellows, 2012 silly season edition:

Maher defended Rush on a tweet.