PDA

View Full Version : Israel asks US for "bunker buster" bombs?

jimnyc
03-09-2012, 11:16 AM
I wonder if they're trying to force a scare, or just not giving a shit at this point? I'd like to have a small camera on the tip of the bomb though!

(Reuters) - Israel has asked the United States for advanced "bunker-buster" bombs and refueling planes that could improve its ability to attack Iran's underground nuclear sites, an Israeli official said on Thursday.

"Such a request was made" around the time of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's visit to Washington this week, the official said, confirming media reports.

But the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity given the sensitivity of the issue, played down as "unrealistic" Israeli reports that the United States would condition supplying the hardware on Israel promising not to attack Iran this year.

White House spokesman Jay Carney, asked whether the Israelis had made such a request to U.S. officials during the visit, said "there was no such agreement proposed or reached" in President Barack Obama's meetings with Netanyahu or his aides.

But when asked if the matter was raised with Defense Secretary Leon Panetta or other U.S. officials, Carney told reporters he had no information on that. "I would refer you to other officials," he said.

A U.S. official, speaking on condition of anonymity, confirmed that military capabilities came up in discussions between Netanyahu and Panetta but did not elaborate. No deals were struck during those talks, the official added.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/08/us-iran-nuclear-israel-usa-idUSBRE82717220120308

Thunderknuckles
03-09-2012, 11:21 AM
This is an entirely orchestrated message to warn Iran.
It's almost comical.

jimnyc
03-09-2012, 11:24 AM
It's almost comical.

That was my intitial thought as well. And they might as well send smoke signals next. Either that, or like I said, they just don't give a shit and will go with whatever their plan is regardless of who disagrees. I'm going with the prior though.

Dilloduck
03-09-2012, 12:15 PM
How much are they willing to pay us for them ?

Little-Acorn
03-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Nope.

It's "orchestrated" (actually intended) to make it easier for Israel to attack Iranian nuclear facilities in the future, as well as other Iranian offensive systems.

It's almost comical.
People's attempts to portray Iran as the victim, are almost comical.

Dilloduck
03-09-2012, 01:50 PM
Nope.

It's "orchestrated" (actually intended) to make it easier for Israel to attack Iranian nuclear facilities in the future, as well as other Iranian offensive systems.

As is any attempt to portray Israel as a victim.

logroller
03-09-2012, 04:53 PM
Nope.

Absolutely, that's exactly what its for; but that's not to say it doesn't perform other functions as well. Regardless of the presence of imminent risk, or being used in a preemptive fashion-- by its very nature, a weapon isn't intended to be defensive. If it was patriot missile or some such, I'd say differently; but the 'bunker buster' is clearly an offensive weapon. Whether its used strategically against another offensive weapon doesn't mitigate its functional role-- destruction of a highly-protected target. With that said, it can and does serve a strategic role in this case-- whilst we aren't at war, yet anyways, it serves well as precautionary edict to all those concerned-- not just allies. If it weren't so-- why mention it at all-- you don't talk about the cards you picked up in a game of poker, unless you've a strategy involving the raising of the stakes and getting your opponent to fold. :thumb:

RadiomanATL
03-10-2012, 11:40 AM
As long as they pay fair market value, good to go.

I don't think we should be "giving" Israel anything.

logroller
03-10-2012, 12:34 PM
As long as they pay fair market value, good to go.

I don't think we should be "giving" Israel anything.

My first thought when I read they "asked" was only if they asked nicely. :laugh: Just because its war-like doesn't mean we should forget our manners...come on Israel, what would Jesus do?

Thunderknuckles
03-10-2012, 02:21 PM
My first thought when I read they "asked" was only if they asked nicely. :laugh: Just because its war-like doesn't mean we should forget our manners...come on Israel, what would Jesus do?

Get cruscified?

logroller
03-10-2012, 03:36 PM
Get cruscified?

That didn't happen, just more western lies...like the holocaust. :dev: