PDA

View Full Version : The Art of Shaving

jimnyc
03-09-2012, 11:36 AM
The wifey bought me one of their travel packages. It's small bottles of pre-shave oil, shaving cream, after shave balm & a badger brush. The oil I think is key, but I'll go back to that. The shaving cream didn't appear to be too much different when first applied. But once I hit it with the brush and spent some time with that, it made a world of difference. The cream looked like it was painted on, real thin when I was done. Then when I shaved it was SO much better, and that's where the oil comes in too. It kinda softens your face and draws out the hairs at the same time. I really took my time for once, and with this kit of course, best shave I ever had!! Now it's as if my ridiculously high priced razors are my only "soft spot" in the shave. The only inprovement that could be made would be a straight razor, but that ain't happening.

logroller
03-09-2012, 04:04 PM
The wifey bought me one of their travel packages. It's small bottles of pre-shave oil, shaving cream, after shave balm & a badger brush. The oil I think is key, but I'll go back to that. The shaving cream didn't appear to be too much different when first applied. But once I hit it with the brush and spent some time with that, it made a world of difference. The cream looked like it was painted on, real thin when I was done. Then when I shaved it was SO much better, and that's where the oil comes in too. It kinda softens your face and draws out the hairs at the same time. I really took my time for once, and with this kit of course, best shave I ever had!! Now it's as if my ridiculously high priced razors are my only "soft spot" in the shave. The only inprovement that could be made would be a straight razor, but that ain't happening.

Court orders...you know Ron Paul wouldn't let that kinda thing happen. :poke:
Seriously though, I checked into straight razors and the price reflects their non- disposible nature. Hundreds of dollars, and depending on how often you shave, you have to buy a second because the steel needs to 'relax' a few days after being sharpened.

jimnyc
03-09-2012, 05:41 PM
That's what I meant when I said it wasn't happening, the damn price! The cheapest start at $200 or so. Plus I have naturally shaky hands.

Noir
03-09-2012, 05:53 PM
I must say that I never use any foams/creams Cus I never notice the difference *except* there's this one cream, and it's got like little bits of grit in it, as you rub it in you can feel the friction from the grit and hair heating your face, and IMO the friction does actually soften the hair and make shaves more comfortable.

But the tube of that is almost done ('twas part of a gift set) and once it's gone I doubt I'd actually buy it, so it'll be back to water for me.

logroller
03-09-2012, 06:01 PM
That's what I meant when I said it wasn't happening, the damn price! The cheapest start at $200 or so. Plus I have naturally shaky hands.
I know , just teasin you jim. Like when i suggest you get a medical prescription for marijuana to calm those shaky hands. :hyper::420::cool:

jimnyc
03-09-2012, 07:54 PM
I must say that I never use any foams/creams Cus I never notice the difference *except* there's this one cream, and it's got like little bits of grit in it, as you rub it in you can feel the friction from the grit and hair heating your face, and IMO the friction does actually soften the hair and make shaves more comfortable.

But the tube of that is almost done ('twas part of a gift set) and once it's gone I doubt I'd actually buy it, so it'll be back to water for me.

So you just whip out your Gillette razor and shave with just water? WTF? HOW can you do that? That would leave me shredded and reddened, not to mention it would be painful as hell.

jimnyc
03-09-2012, 07:57 PM
I know , just teasin you jim. Like when i suggest you get a medical prescription for marijuana to calm those shaky hands. :hyper::420::cool:

I'm already developing the glaucoma as I type this, preparing for when they start selling it at dispensaries around here! I also have chronic pain, all over my body, but specifically where the law requires.

Mr. P
03-09-2012, 08:17 PM
So you just whip out your Gillette razor and shave with just water? WTF? HOW can you do that? That would leave me shredded and reddened, not to mention it would be painful as hell.

That's what I do...at the end of my shower. The hot water an steam soften the whiskers by then, no need for anything else. Works for me. With just a disposable Gillette track two too.

RadiomanATL
03-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Supposedly shaving makes it look bigger.

:dunno: Never tried that.

Jess
03-11-2012, 12:22 PM
Supposedly shaving makes it look bigger.

:dunno: Never tried that.

Why would I want my legs and armpits to look bigger? :rolleyes:

ConHog
03-11-2012, 12:50 PM
I use a straight razor. Once a month I get a shave and a haircut at the local barbershop. Real deal barbershop with the pole out front and all. One of the cool things about living in a rural area.

fj1200
03-11-2012, 07:11 PM
^I've got one of those 1/2 block away. I'm nowhere near rural. I don't bother with the shave though.