PDA

View Full Version : Marine Seeks to Adopt Military Dog

jimnyc
03-10-2012, 03:06 PM
I hope someone steps in and makes this right. I know dogs are technically "property", but many see them as "friends" and family. You become attached just from having a pet or being with an animal often, but I would imagine going through something tragic together would even further the bond. It would just be nice to see them back together. He's served our country in his own way. :salute:

A former Marine is hitting bureaucratic red tape in her quest to adopt the military service dog she served with in Iraq before it is put down.

Former Corporal Megan Leavey, of Rockland County, wants to take in a German shepherd named Sergeant Rex. They hunted for IEDs on Iraq during two tours of duty.

They were both severely injured in Iraq when an IED exploded near them. The dog is 10 years old now and can no longer serve.

"This is not (the Marines) first priority," Leavey admits, "A lot of times it gets lost in the shuffle."

But time is running out for the faithful dog.

"He's done his duty. It's time for him to relax," Leavey says.

Sen. Charles Schumer has stepped in and has asked the military to expedite Leavey's application to adopt Sergeant Rex before he is put to sleep.

"The Marines don't have a reason against reuniting them, it's just a slow bureaucracy," Shumer says.

"It's life or death," Leavey says for her former partner.

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/marine-seeks-to-adopt-military-dog-20120309

Shadow
03-10-2012, 06:27 PM
I hope someone steps in and makes this right. I know dogs are technically "property", but many see them as "friends" and family. You become attached just from having a pet or being with an animal often, but I would imagine going through something tragic together would even further the bond. It would just be nice to see them back together. He's served our country in his own way. :salute:

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/marine-seeks-to-adopt-military-dog-20120309

They don't really say what the problem is...just "slow bureaucracy". Hopefully they get it resolved soon and the dog can go home with corporal Leavey. Seems like a waste just to let a dog be put down unnecessarily because of some silly paperwork that somone is sitting on.