View Full Version : Atheist Billboard Goes Up in NJ Muslim Neighborhood

Shadow
03-10-2012, 05:58 PM
On Wednesday, March 7, 2012, American Atheists erected a billboard on
the corner of 33rd Street and Broadway, the heart of a Muslim community in
Paterson, New Jersey, with the wording: "You know it's a myth, and you have a
choice" in both Arabic and English, with the word "Allah" on the left
side.

According to the American Atheists website at www.atheists.org (http://www.atheists.org), the
purpose of this billboard is to advertise the Reason Rally in Washington D.C. on
March 24 (www.ReasonRally.com (http://www.ReasonRally.com)) and the American Atheists National Convention, to
the atheists in the Muslim communities. "Insular communities like these are
designed to squelch individualism and religious criticism, making the atheists
in these communities feel particularly alone -- they are not."

Apparently, atheists within the Muslim communities are quite plentiful,
as evidenced by the emails they receive and the number of former Muslims now in
the American Atheists' ranks. The new billboard acknowledges the closeted
atheists in the community and invites them to the Reason Rally and convention,
where they will meet others like themselves, share stories, have fun, and return
with enough knowledge and support to allow them to make their own decisions in
their lives. They do have choices.

American Atheists claim this billboard is not meant to inflame or
enrage, and while the reaction of the Muslim community will be interesting, they
do not expect any violence nor vandalism.

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-758697?hpt=hp_bn1

ConHog
03-10-2012, 06:28 PM
Eventually some Muslims will burn this side down and some idiotic judge will determine that their religion makes it okay.

It MIGHT be time for us to start having a discussion about whether Islam is actually a religeon that deserves first amendment protection.

jimnyc
03-10-2012, 06:55 PM
That area is a shithole. Most Muslims are cheap, so they end up infesting all the lower income neighborhoods, hate to say it. It's also a dangerous area to be in after the lights go down, especially if you're white. It won't surprise me in the slightest if someone around there gets violent about this.

fj1200
03-12-2012, 11:13 AM
... a discussion about whether Islam is actually a religeon that deserves first amendment protection.

Umm...

darin
03-12-2012, 11:33 AM
I hate the thought the Atheists would be doing that specifically to piss people off. :(

Abbey Marie
03-12-2012, 02:34 PM
I hate the thought the Atheists would be doing that specifically to piss people off. :(

Bingo.

I've seen them do it on message boards, too. ;)

Noir
03-12-2012, 05:55 PM
I don't like the wording, but FairPlay to whatever council (or American equivalent) gave them the green Lightroom post it in this age of 'respecting' religion, especially if those who feel they aren't being respected so their displeasure by being violent

logroller
03-12-2012, 06:48 PM
I hate the thought the Atheists would be doing that specifically to piss people off. :(God hates free speech.:laugh2:http://media.salon.com/2010/07/margie_phelps_with_god_hates_fags_shirt_protesting _san_diego_comic_con-400x307.jpg

DragonStryk72
03-12-2012, 07:07 PM
Eventually some Muslims will burn this side down and some idiotic judge will determine that their religion makes it okay.

It MIGHT be time for us to start having a discussion about whether Islam is actually a religeon that deserves first amendment protection.

And so would die the 1st Amendment.

I don't like the wording, but FairPlay to whatever council (or American equivalent) gave them the green Lightroom post it in this age of 'respecting' religion, especially if those who feel they aren't being respected so their displeasure by being violent

There's a difference between having a right, and being right. I have the right to call everyone on this board a bunch of hooting dickholes, but that doesn't make saying it right.

When you put up a billboard like that in that neighborhood, I believe it is akin to shouting fire in a crowded theater. The only possible reason, that being to whip people into a frenzy, is basically the same in either instance. It'd be like putting a billboard up that says "God hates niggers" in a neighborhood in downtown Albany. The first amendment is not meant to allow people to purposely provoke each other, and whoever thought putting this sign up was a good plan seriously needs to ass kicking.

I do firmly believe that one of the reasons that people are such assholes these days is because they aren't expecting an ass-whuppin for it.

Noir
03-12-2012, 07:16 PM
There's a difference between having a right, and being right. I have the right to call everyone on this board a bunch of hooting dickholes, but that doesn't make saying it right.

When you put up a billboard like that in that neighborhood, I believe it is akin to shouting fire in a crowded theater. The only possible reason, that being to whip people into a frenzy, is basically the same in either instance. It'd be like putting a billboard up that says "God hates niggers" in a neighborhood in downtown Albany. The first amendment is not meant to allow people to purposely provoke each other, and whoever thought putting this sign up was a good plan seriously needs to ass kicking.

I do firmly believe that one of the reasons that people are such assholes these days is because they aren't expecting an ass-whuppin for it.

Like I said the wording was clumsy, could of been much wittier IMO, but as for all the 'you have the right but is it right' tuffle, given how fond the religious are of telling me -through leaflets, billboards, and even in my school education- that I'm going to hell etc I have little regard for what they think of any athiest message. Maybe when they stop telling children it's 'worship or be tortured for eternity' then we can have a proper discussion on what's 'right'

jimnyc
03-12-2012, 07:24 PM
Like I said the wording was clumsy, could of been much wittier IMO, but as for all the 'you have the right but is it right' tuffle, given how fond the religious are of telling me -through leaflets, billboards, and even in my school education- that I'm going to hell etc I have little regard for what they think of any athiest message. Maybe when they stop telling children it's 'worship or be tortured for eternity' then we can have a proper discussion on what's 'right'

I take issue with those labeled as "Bible thumpers". I don't like when Catholics/Christians try to force others to convert, or hear their message, whatever it may be.

I still like you, Noir, but you kind of come off as a militant in the same discussion, only pushing atheism and/or condemning Christians. Like you more or less stated, you don't take issue with the billboard for the most part, but in the next breath you condemn Christians or other religions for acting in similar manners.

logroller
03-12-2012, 07:25 PM

if everyone here were a bunch of hooting dickholes; would it make it right, or merely correct? Is being correct a sufficient standard of behavior, or should we temper our behavior to be sensitive to others' beliefs on what is right? (see: Limbaugh, Maher) I say screw 'em. If I'm a hooting asshole I don't expect you to care; nor do I expect you to grant me any consideration, whatsoever. Just hot air really; we all blow off steam from time to time-- doesn't make it right, but it doesn't make it wrong either.

Noir
03-12-2012, 07:35 PM
I take issue with those labeled as "Bible thumpers". I don't like when Catholics/Christians try to force others to convert, or hear their message, whatever it may be.

I still like you, Noir, but you kind of come off as a militant in the same discussion, only pushing atheism and/or condemning Christians. Like you more or less stated, you don't take issue with the billboard for the most part, but in the next breath you condemn Christians or other religions for acting in similar manners.

I don't like the negative billboards, (which if you live round my way almost all the Christian ones are, idk about your town/city) that's why it's refreshing when I see athiest bill boards that say things like 'there probably isn't an afterlife, so enjoy every minute of the life you have now'

This billboard however seems stupid the the point of self defeating. 'You *know* it's a myth' is just wrong for starters, they don't know that's why they believe, and in anycase no-one knows. They could and should of done much better and at the very least of been positive.

Shadow
03-12-2012, 07:47 PM
That area is a shithole. Most Muslims are cheap, so they end up infesting all the lower income neighborhoods, hate to say it. It's also a dangerous area to be in after the lights go down, especially if you're white. It won't surprise me in the slightest if someone around there gets violent about this.

Probably their motivation. They must know that the area is pretty dangerous too...just like you do.

fj1200
03-12-2012, 10:39 PM
I hope my laptop doesn't go all jihad on me. The ads jump from gay singles sites to lesbian singles sites to Muslim women singles sites. It's very confused.

DragonStryk72
03-12-2012, 11:31 PM
if everyone here were a bunch of hooting dickholes; would it make it right, or merely correct? Is being correct a sufficient standard of behavior, or should we temper our behavior to be sensitive to others' beliefs on what is right? (see: Limbaugh, Maher) I say screw 'em. If I'm a hooting asshole I don't expect you to care; nor do I expect you to grant me any consideration, whatsoever. Just hot air really; we all blow off steam from time to time-- doesn't make it right, but it doesn't make it wrong either.

Well, it's not right to say something like that, but it also wouldn't be correct either. And clearly from what I wrote, being correct is not a sufficient standard of behavior.

So what you're saying, log, is that it would be perfectly fine with you to walk into a store, ask if they have a particular item, and the cashier goes "What do you fuckin' think? Now fuck off, I'm on the phone!" If you would want to talk to the person's manager, someone else who isn't being an asshole, or not shop at that store again, then guess what? You do expect a certain standard of behavior.

And there's a difference between blowing off steam, and erecting a billboard strictly for the purpose of trolling an entire neighborhood.

Shadow
03-12-2012, 11:43 PM

Definately. Have you also noticed that it's usually the crew that screams the loudest about tolerance and being politically correct, that feel that they don't have to live up to their own standards.

logroller
03-13-2012, 11:23 AM
Well, it's not right to say something like that, but it also wouldn't be correct either. And clearly from what I wrote, being correct is not a sufficient standard of behavior.

So what you're saying, log, is that it would be perfectly fine with you to walk into a store, ask if they have a particular item, and the cashier goes "What do you fuckin' think? Now fuck off, I'm on the phone!" If you would want to talk to the person's manager, someone else who isn't being an asshole, or not shop at that store again, then guess what? You do expect a certain standard of behavior.

And there's a difference between blowing off steam, and erecting a billboard strictly for the purpose of trolling an entire neighborhood.

Well that wouldn't be a correct answer-- that's a question, rudely posed. If they said instead, 'I don't know off hand, but I'm on the phone and can't check right now'--that would be an answer. I wouldn't like it, but its an answer.
I guess what you're saying is it depends on the expected std of behavior relative to the audience.
For example, I've seen a billboard in Las Vegas (aka 'Sin City') which said, 'Headed in the wrong direction, God allows u-turns'. Is that strictly for the purpose of trolling too?

DragonStryk72
03-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Well that wouldn't be a correct answer-- that's a question, rudely posed. If they said instead, 'I don't know off hand, but I'm on the phone and can't check right now'--that would be an answer. I wouldn't like it, but its an answer.
I guess what you're saying is it depends on the expected std of behavior relative to the audience.
For example, I've seen a billboard in Las Vegas (aka 'Sin City') which said, 'Headed in the wrong direction, God allows u-turns'. Is that strictly for the purpose of trolling too?

No, that is smart-assed, there's a difference. It isn't calling in to question anyone's beliefs, nor is it insulting anyone. Purposely going out of your way to set up the billboard that they set up in that neighborhood? Yeah, that's pure trolling.

Now why you think I was arguing otherwise is beyond me, but no, you don't get to change what I wrote so you don't have to answer my point. Would what I wrote, that specific quote of "What do you fuckin' think? Now fuck off, I'm on the phone!", be behavior to you that would have you asking to speak with a manager, asking to speak with anyone else at the store, or not shopping there again? If the answer is yes to any of those, then yes, you do care about what other people say to you, and have a standard of expected behavior. Also, it's rhetorical, not an actual question, as in, it is clear that there is no intent for you to have an answer to it.

DragonStryk72
03-13-2012, 11:55 AM
Definitely. Have you also noticed that it's usually the crew that screams the loudest about tolerance and being politically correct, that feel that they don't have to live up to their own standards.

lol, yeah, just like I've noticed that most people with anger management issues don't lose it around people that they know can kick their ass.

jimnyc
03-13-2012, 01:06 PM
I hope the billboard falls on a radical imam. That's right, I went and said it, sue me!

Abbey Marie
03-13-2012, 01:16 PM

I don't think we should base our laws on how easily offended a group might be. Christians tend to take offenses in stride in this country, but Muslims and blacks do not. therefore, we should restrain our speech for those groups? Doesn't sound "right" in either sense of the word. A fire, on the other hand, burns everyone regardless of race or religion.

logroller
03-13-2012, 01:36 PM
No, that is smart-assed, there's a difference. It isn't calling in to question anyone's beliefs, nor is it insulting anyone. Purposely going out of your way to set up the billboard that they set up in that neighborhood? Yeah, that's pure trolling.

Now why you think I was arguing otherwise is beyond me, but no, you don't get to change what I wrote so you don't have to answer my point. Would what I wrote, that specific quote of "What do you fuckin' think? Now fuck off, I'm on the phone!", be behavior to you that would have you asking to speak with a manager, asking to speak with anyone else at the store, or not shopping there again? If the answer is yes to any of those, then yes, you do care about what other people say to you, and have a standard of expected behavior. Also, it's rhetorical, not an actual question, as in, it is clear that there is no intent for you to have an answer to it.
You say truly trolling, I say marketing-- that's the thing about free speech. To answer your question, even though its rhetorical, I'd probably wait for him to get off the phone. I'm stubborn like that!