PDA

View Full Version : Obama impeachment bill now in Congress

jimnyc
03-12-2012, 11:38 AM
Text of the bill in congress...

Expressing the sense of Congress that the use of offensive military force by a president without prior and clear authorization of an act of Congress constitutes an impeachable high crime and misdemeanor under Article II, Section 4 of the Constitution.

Whereas the cornerstone of the Republic is honoring Congress’s exclusive power to declare war under article I, section 8, clause 11 of the Constitution: Now, therefore, be it

Resolved by the House of Representatives (the Senate concurring), That it is the sense of Congress that, except in response to an actual or imminent attack against the territory of the United States, the use of offensive military force by a president without prior and clear authorization of an act of Congress violates Congress’s exclusive power to declare war under Article I, Section 8, clause 11 of the Constitution and therefore constitutes an impeachable high crime and misdemeanor under Article II, Section 4 of the Constitution.

http://www.wnd.com/2012/03/obama-impeachment-bill-now-in-congress/?cat_orig=us

CSM
03-12-2012, 11:50 AM
yeah, right.

tailfins
03-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Remember 1996? This kind of action compares with the birther movement. It is more powerful to defeat/discredit liberalism than to advance a shaky impeachment. The fake recess appointments would have been firmer grounds for impeachment, would they not?

logroller
03-12-2012, 01:30 PM
Remember 1996? This kind of action compares with the birther movement. It is more powerful to defeat/discredit liberalism than to advance a shaky impeachment. The fake recess appointments would have been firmer grounds for impeachment, would they not?

Was the recess 'fake'?

Article II, Section 2. Paragraph 4
The President shall have Power to fill up all Vacancies that may happen during the Recess of the Senate, by granting commissions which shall expire at the End of their next session.
would indicate that they would NOT be grounds for impeachment; as its an enumerated Power of the President.

I think the OP story has a shot at gaining traction in the impeachment process.
The only thing the Obama Admin has to justify their actions is the support of the UN; but this too is governed by Congressional authority to 'Define and Punish...Offences against the Law of Nations'; time will tell.

jimnyc
03-12-2012, 02:04 PM
Was the recess 'fake'?

would indicate that they would NOT be grounds for impeachment; as its an enumerated Power of the President.

I think the OP story has a shot at gaining traction in the impeachment process.
The only thing the Obama Admin has to justify their actions is the support of the UN; but this too is governed by Congressional authority to 'Define and Punish...Offences against the Law of Nations'; time will tell.

Didn't Obama make a few appointments claiming congress was in recess, when they techincally weren't? Rings a bell from sometime last year, but my brain doesn't remember the exact circumstances!

tailfins
03-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Didn't Obama make a few appointments claiming congress was in recess, when they techincally weren't? Rings a bell from sometime last year, but my brain doesn't remember the exact circumstances!

It's the NLRB appointment, here are the details:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/03/01/kerpen-enzi-resolution-needed-to-stop-obamas-nlrb/

jimnyc
03-12-2012, 02:15 PM
It's the NLRB appointments, here are the details:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/03/01/kerpen-enzi-resolution-needed-to-stop-obamas-nlrb/

And a similar link for the Anti-Fox folks:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jan/4/obama-unprecedented-recess-appointment/

revelarts
03-12-2012, 03:30 PM
Obama can claim what he likes about War powers in Libya. If the Congress sees it different he gets impeached. end of story. It's pretty plain that his Sec of State and Generals don't think Congress needs to be involved in decisions on war.
This is the perfect way to explain to the president he's mistaken.

But as Ive mentioned before Congress doesn't have the backbone for it.