PDA

View Full Version : Energy Secty Chu: We must "boost the price of gasoline to the levels in Europe"

Little-Acorn
03-12-2012, 11:57 AM
http://nation.foxnews.com/steven-chu/2012/02/29/obama-energy-chief-bombshell-admission

Obama's Energy Secretary Steven Chu: "Somehow we have to figure out how to boost the price of gasoline to the levels in Europe"

Gasoline prices as of Feb. 25, 2012, in U.S. dollars per gallon:
(http://www.drive-alive.co.uk/fuel_prices_europe.html)

Italy . . . . . $9.00/gal
England . . . $8.05/gal
France. . . . $8.00/gal
Norway . . . $9.45/gal
Germany . . $8.40/gal

Our gasoline prices aren't there yet. But we're definitely on track to get there.

Is it November yet?

Nukeman
03-12-2012, 01:26 PM
http://nation.foxnews.com/steven-chu/2012/02/29/obama-energy-chief-bombshell-admission

Obama's Energy Secretary Steven Chu: "Somehow we have to figure out how to boost the price of gasoline to the levels in Europe"

Gasoline prices as of Feb. 25, 2012, in U.S. dollars per gallon:
(http://www.drive-alive.co.uk/fuel_prices_europe.html)

Italy . . . . . $9.00/gal
England . . . $8.05/gal
France. . . . $8.00/gal
Norway . . . $9.45/gal
Germany . . $8.40/gal

Our gasoline prices aren't there yet. But we're definitely on track to get there.

Is it November yet?What numbnuts forgets is that the US is NOT like those countries and that we are VERY rural in nature, most Americans travel at least 20 miles to work each way. european countries are not spread out and most live and work in central locations, this jsut is NOT the case in the US. I can't believe that these morons are that OUT OF TOUCH with everyone in this country!?!?!?!?!?

fj1200
03-12-2012, 01:39 PM

I'm just waiting for the pre-election gas tax proposal if the feel so strongly about it... and waiting... and waiting...

logroller
03-12-2012, 01:43 PM
What numbnuts forgets is that the US is NOT like those countries and that we are VERY rural in nature, most Americans travel at least 20 miles to work each way. european countries are not spread out and most live and work in central locations, this jsut is NOT the case in the US. I can't believe that these morons are that OUT OF TOUCH with everyone in this country!?!?!?!?!?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-V9UbvXp6H7w/T0MM4a-C0LI/AAAAAAAAAno/AkRMrsJjrhA/s1600/cafe+2.JPG
The nationwide fuel economy went down from 1984 to 2004, while oil imports skyrocketed.
So to some degree, its the general public that's OUT OF TOUCH with the economic reality of over-consumption. Price increases are the most effective means of encouraging more efficient development.

tailfins
03-13-2012, 11:25 AM
What numbnuts forgets is that the US is NOT like those countries and that we are VERY rural in nature, most Americans travel at least 20 miles to work each way. european countries are not spread out and most live and work in central locations, this jsut is NOT the case in the US. I can't believe that these morons are that OUT OF TOUCH with everyone in this country!?!?!?!?!?

On a more basic level, why is an undesirable situation something to emulate? If gas prices should be at parity with Europe, why not make our housing costs at parity with Australia? Only an enemy would strive to increase misery. I don't consider the Obama regime out of touch. They don't like certain groups of the US population and actively work AGAINST their interests.

Trigg
03-13-2012, 11:54 AM
Europe also has fantastic mass transit, the extra taxes on gasoline helps fund and manage the upkeep.

Is the US going to improve or heck even impliment mass transit? Fort Wayne is the second largest city in Indiana and other than spotty bus service in the city limits the only way to get around is by car.

Like nukeman said, the US isn't set up like European cities, we are spread out.

DragonStryk72
03-13-2012, 11:59 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-V9UbvXp6H7w/T0MM4a-C0LI/AAAAAAAAAno/AkRMrsJjrhA/s1600/cafe+2.JPG
The nationwide fuel economy went down from 1984 to 2004, while oil imports skyrocketed.
So to some degree, its the general public that's OUT OF TOUCH with the economic reality of over-consumption. Price increases are the most effective means of encouraging more efficient development.

Except that we already have more efficient development en route, such as our hybrid production, along with the hydrogen fuel cell hybrids coming out in just a couple of months, and as well when the MPG jumped backed in the day, it wasn't because the government purposely artificially inflated the price of oil just to fuck with us.

tailfins
03-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Europe also has fantastic mass transit, the extra taxes on gasoline helps fund and manage the upkeep.

Is the US going to improve or heck even impliment mass transit? Fort Wayne is the second largest city in Indiana and other than spotty bus service in the city limits the only way to get around is by car.

Like nukeman said, the US isn't set up like European cities, we are spread out.

Have you actually had to use mass transit for an extended period of time? Do you think metro Boston (inside I-95) has adequate mass transit? I have an exercise for you as an example of mass transit versus driving. Go to Google maps and put in your destination. Compare the public transit calculation to the road calculation. For my example I will use Lexington, MA to South Station Boston. Mass transit: About two hours round trip Driving: Less than an hour round trip . Furthermore, you have to wait for each connection and live on THEIR schedule. Using mass transit is a downward shift in quality of life.

Nukeman
03-13-2012, 12:45 PM
Have you actually had to use mass transit for an extended period of time? Do you think metro Boston (inside I-95) has adequate mass transit? I have an exercise for you as an example of mass transit versus driving. Go to Google maps and put in your destination. Compare the public transit calculation to the road calculation. For my example I will use Lexington, MA to South Station Boston. Mass transit: About two hours round trip Driving: Less than an hour round trip . Furthermore, you have to wait for each connection and live on THEIR schedule. Using mass transit is a downward shift in quality of life.
You rally don't think thats what she meant??? she said that WE DON"T HAVE reliable mass transit. We don't have train service between cities that is affordable and timely, we don't have busses in the city that are convenient,

Sure you can get from point A to B in larger cities by way of train/subway/bus/taxi, but you cant do that in less urban areas, hell you get out of the east coast and that type of transportation is NON-EXISTANT...

That is the point it is not viable at this time, so to falsely inflate prices does nothing but hurt the middle class AGAIN!!!!

logroller
03-13-2012, 01:58 PM
Except that we already have more efficient development en route, such as our hybrid production, along with the hydrogen fuel cell hybrids coming out in just a couple of months, and as well when the MPG jumped backed in the day, it wasn't because the government purposely artificially inflated the price of oil just to fuck with us.
Oh I hear ya, exciting stuff...en route. Maybe it'll be received better than sliced bread; but I doubt it.

Which jump? the OPEC crisis-- that was government fucking with us, just not ours. And Carter's energy independence program following that was a dismal public failure.