PDA

View Full Version : Post thanks system - dead for now ! Revived !

jimnyc
03-13-2012, 12:01 PM
The thanks system under each post is gone for now, as it's not been upgraded to work with newer versions of vBulletin. And when/if I find a version that will work for us, the numbers are going to start from the beginning again. IMO, I don't think it's the numbers under the name that counted as much as seeing the actual thanks underneath a post. I'll be actively searching for a replacement and let everyone know when I find one...

jimnyc
03-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Well, that wasn't long. Someone had made some edits on the original software and it's now working again. Unfortunately, these changes did reset the statistics and we're all back to 0. But you can once again thank those making good posts.

jimnyc
03-13-2012, 01:01 PM
I've been continuing to read about the changes, and realize I screwed up. It is true that the "thanks software" stopped working. And it is true that the software needed to be changed/updated in order to work once again. But it appears the reset is an error on my part and could have been avoided. My apologies to those of you that use it quite often and see the reset as a step back of sorts. I thought I tried everything before having to uninstall/reinstall, but I was wrong. It could have been easily updated without an uninstall. I suck and I admit it. :slap:

Abbey Marie
03-13-2012, 01:24 PM
I've been continuing to read about the changes, and realize I screwed up. It is true that the "thanks software" stopped working. And it is true that the software needed to be changed/updated in order to work once again. But it appears the reset is an error on my part and could have been avoided. My apologies to those of you that use it quite often and see the reset as a step back of sorts. I thought I tried everything before having to uninstall/reinstall, but I was wrong. It could have been easily updated without an uninstall. I suck and I admit it. :slap:

Jim, you have a thankless job. :laugh:

Shadow
03-14-2012, 09:08 AM
Well, that wasn't long. Someone had made some edits on the original software and it's now working again. Unfortunately, these changes did reset the statistics and we're all back to 0. But you can once again thank those making good posts.

Guess, I never even paid attention to the stats. I don't even know what mine were (so...no biggie to me at least). Thanks for working so hard on board upgrades though. :thumb:

CSM
03-14-2012, 10:57 AM
WHAT??? MY STATS HAVE BEEN RESET!!!!! My life is ruined ... ruined I tell ya.

I didn't even know there were stats for that.

jimnyc
03-14-2012, 11:10 AM
WHAT??? MY STATS HAVE BEEN RESET!!!!! My life is ruined ... ruined I tell ya.

I didn't even know there were stats for that.

Yeah, look at any of your posts, then look to the right where it shows your join date and rep power, there's a line for how many times you have thanked people and how many times you have been thanked yourself. Sort of like the rep system, IMO, a fun little tool to show others you like their post, but the numbers don't mean much in the long run.

Numbers aside, it is nice to see some "thanks" underneath your post in threads you are active in and return to in order to post.

CSM
03-14-2012, 11:12 AM
Yeah, look at any of your posts, then look to the right where it shows your join date and rep power, there's a line for how many times you have thanked people and how many times you have been thanked yourself. Sort of like the rep system, IMO, a fun little tool to show others you like their post, but the numbers don't mean much in the long run.

Numbers aside, it is nice to see some "thanks" underneath your post in threads you are active in and return to in order to post.

Hmmm, never noticed that.

gabosaurus
03-21-2012, 10:04 AM
Can we kill the rep system now please? It serves no purpose.

jimnyc
03-21-2012, 10:08 AM
Can we kill the rep system now please? It serves no purpose.

It does to those who come here for fun and debate. Those who complain about the thanks and rep systems non-stop are generally those not getting either, and are generally coming here to troll.

gabosaurus
03-21-2012, 10:12 AM
Of course. Obviously I have been coming here for numerous years just to troll. You make me sound like Wind Song with that comment. :poke:

jimnyc
03-21-2012, 10:15 AM
Of course. Obviously I have been coming here for numerous years just to troll. You make me sound like Wind Song with that comment. :poke:

C'mon gabs, you DO troll threads and you know it. You can and HAVE made MANY good posts, but then for whatever reason your snarky side comes out and you tend to condemn the entire board as one. Then you don't like the fact that others get positive rep and thanks. It's not because others are of the same affiliation, but because they made great posts. I've repped MANY liberals and others who I generally completely disagree with, simply because they took the time and made a great and thought provoking post.

gabosaurus
03-21-2012, 10:22 AM
There is a difference between trolling and playing devil's advocate. Or presenting a differing viewpoint for the purpose of discussion.
Why lay the "troll" tag on someone when there are true trolls on the board right now?

jimnyc
03-21-2012, 10:24 AM
There is a difference between trolling and playing devil's advocate. Or presenting a differing viewpoint for the purpose of discussion.
Why lay the "troll" tag on someone when there are true trolls on the board right now?

Oh, don't think you're getting the only attention, you should know by now that I'm happy to call out anyone acting stupid. I know you can be a good poster, and not a troll and part of our community - but like I said, just as you start to fit in and make friends, you'll open a particular post and continue to tell pretty much the entire board just how stupid we all are. That's not playing devils advocate.

gabosaurus
03-21-2012, 10:29 AM
Stupid is as stupid does. Don't think there isn't a lot of name calling on both sides.
I'm just right when I do it. :cool:

jimnyc
03-21-2012, 10:38 AM
Stupid is as stupid does. Don't think there isn't a lot of name calling on both sides.
I'm just right when I do it. :cool:

Sure, many people here are involved in name calling. But how many here condemn the entire board at times? I can count them on one hand.