PDA

View Full Version : Romney won Tuesday delegate haul

jimnyc
03-14-2012, 01:39 PM
It appeared at first glance that Santorum was the winner this week, but the math shows Romney widened his stance.

41 Romney
35 Santorum
24 Gingrich
1 Paul <---- The "great strategist" :laugh: :lol:

According to the Associated Press delegate count, Mitt Romney won 42 delegates last night to 38 for Rick Santorum. By winning nine delegates in American Samoa and 45 percent of the vote in Hawaii, Romney wiped out Rick Santorum’s narrow wins in the Deep South. And, just like Saturday, when Santorum won Kansas and lost ground to Romney, today Santorum’s task to get to 1,114 delegates (as he promised last night he would) is that much harder.

Over and over again you hear pundits say things like, “Well if you look at the math. . . ” and “Romney wants to focus on just the math.” There should be a gong at the ready when talking heads and pundits go into that mode. The nominating process is about the delegates. Math, like gravity, can’t be ignored.

To be clear, Santorum cannot win the nomination by closely splitting proportional states and losing winner-take-all states. That is a formula for falling further and further behind. And that is what is happening.

There are 1,358 delegates yet to be awarded. Romney has 495. He needs 694 delegates, less than 48 percent of the remaining delegates, to wrap it up.

That’s not “just” math; that’s the reality of the nominating process. Santorum, it is not surprising, is going to do better in the most conservative states and regions, but that’s not enough. He hasn’t had the reach to win in Ohio, Michigan, Florida and elsewhere, or even to win in urban and upscale suburban locales in conservative states. (For example, he lost Montgomery County in Alabama by 10 points to Romney. He lost Jefferson County by five points.) Being the most conservative candidate who can win among the most conservative voters in the most conservative states does not get you the nomination.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/post/math-matters-romney-widening-his-lead/2012/03/14/gIQAZ3YdBS_blog.html
http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2012/03/romney_won_tuesday_delegate_ha.html

tailfins
03-14-2012, 01:58 PM
I'm torn on this. Romney needs to sharpen his game, which Santorum will help him do. On the other hand, there's less focus on defeating Obama.

03-15-2012, 03:34 PM
I am thinking Romney will be the nominee. I like Santorum but he keeps saying things that bother me lately.

Romney was the big winner Tuesday. No one cares though because the media wants the story to keep going. Honestly, Id like it to keep going too. it's free publicity for the GOP and it prevents Obama from attacking Romney full force right now.