PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Wal-Mart...

Guernicaa
05-19-2007, 09:02 PM
The area I live in currently has 1 HUGE Wal-Mart super center...
The parking lot seems to be filled 24-7...

But now, they're going to build another super center about 10 miles away in a town that’s dependent on small businesses and still has quite a few going.

My question is this...Do you think that Wal-Mart is over stepping its boundaries? This could be the end of a lot of peoples small businesses that have been a part of the community for years.
The plus to it all is lower prices...but does that really make up for ruining peoples businesses?

Mr. P
05-19-2007, 09:08 PM

But now, they're going to build another super center about 10 miles away in a town that’s dependent on small businesses and still has quite a few going.

My question is this...Do you think that Wal-Mart is over stepping its boundaries? This could be the end of a lot of peoples small businesses that have been a part of the community for years.
The plus to it all is lower prices...but does that really make up for ruining peoples businesses?
What boundaries?

shattered
05-19-2007, 09:10 PM
If the town didn't want a Walmart, they wouldn't be getting a Walmart.. I don't think it's as simple as saying "We're putting our store right here", and just having it done.

There aren't any boundaries when it comes to business, so long as no laws are broken...

Guernicaa
05-19-2007, 09:13 PM
What boundaries?
Past a boundry where they're not needed.

I understand how a lot of really rural places across the west may need them, but does an area with pleanty of small businesses and a wal mart 10 miles away really need one?

82Marine89
05-19-2007, 09:14 PM

It's the chance they took when they started their businesses. No one, except the consumer, should ensure their survival. From the sounds of it, you are asking for gov't intervention.

Guernicaa
05-19-2007, 09:16 PM
If the town didn't want a Walmart, they wouldn't be getting a Walmart.. I don't think it's as simple as saying "We're putting our store right here", and just having it done.

There aren't any boundaries when it comes to business, so long as no laws are broken...
There are some positive things to it all...It will be located about 10 blocks away from me, and will bring about 400 jobs to the area.

But I just dont think we need it. People who run small businesses are going to be ruined.

Guernicaa
05-19-2007, 09:17 PM
It's the chance they took when they started their businesses. No one, except the consumer, should ensure their survival. From the sounds of it, you are asking for gov't intervention.
In a way, yes....
But since this is a Democracy, the people need to take the first step.
If the majority says no, thats when the government takes action.

shattered
05-19-2007, 09:21 PM
There are some positive things to it all...It will be located about 10 blocks away from me, and will bring about 400 jobs to the area.

But I just dont think we need it. People who run small businesses are going to be ruined.

Obviously, the town, for the most part, disagrees, and that's what counts.. What types of businesses do you think willl be ruined? (I won't say "unfairly", because there's nothing unfair about it... It's business. Period. You don't get ahead by worrying about who or what you're sidestepping.

Mr. P
05-19-2007, 09:22 PM
Past a boundry where they're not needed.

I understand how a lot of really rural places across the west may need them, but does an area with pleanty of small businesses and a wal mart 10 miles away really need one?

If WM is going to build a store they know there's a local need or they wouldn't do it.

IF a location/town has 25 doctors is there a 'need' for a 26th if they offer a better price on service? The locals would say HELL yes!

Hobbit
05-19-2007, 09:41 PM
In a way, yes....

If the majority says no, then the government shouldn't have to step in. Wal-Mart won't maintain an unprofitable store. If you don't think that Wal-Mart should be there, then don't shop at that store and buy all you can at the smaller stores. That's what I do for most of my goods, since the Wal-Mart in my area is nasty and has terrible service. If enough people patronize the smaller stores, they will stay in business, and if enough people patronize the Wal-Mart to make sure it sticks around to cater to those with shallow pockets, then all the better. I like having choices.

-Cp
05-19-2007, 09:44 PM
People who run small businesses are going to be ruined.

How So? We have THREE freakin' Wal Marts in our area - all within a 5 Mile Radius... yet... there are TONS of small businesses here, many of whom we use:

Butcher Shops
Oil Change Places
Wine Shops
Local Produce Stands
Local Grocery Stores

In fact, I can't think of one business I've seen go out of business because of the Wal Mart's around here..

In a way, yes....

The USA is not a Democracy - it's a Constitutional Republic....

shattered
05-19-2007, 09:49 PM
Super-Walmart here, is part of a strip mall type thing, which contains (obviously) Wal-Mart, Pier One Imports, Supercuts, Subway (there's also a Subway IN Wal-Mart), Elder Beerman, The Party Store, Lane Bryant, Fireside Books, Office Max, and a sporting goods store.. All of which are doing just fine... There are 2 Pick & Saves within a mile of Wal-Mart, a hobby shop, 2 department stores, Hallmark, etc..and the list just goes on.. none of those places have gone out of business due to Wal-Mart, and I live in a pretty small town...

-Cp
05-19-2007, 09:50 PM
Super-Walmart here, is part of a strip mall type thing, which contains (obviously) Wal-Mart, Pier One Imports, Supercuts, Subway (there's also a Subway IN Wal-Mart), Elder Beerman, The Party Store, Lane Bryant, Fireside Books, Office Max, and a sporting goods store.. All of which are doing just fine... There are 2 Pick & Saves within a mile of Wal-Mart, a hobby shop, 2 department stores, Hallmark, etc..and the list just goes on.. none of those places have gone out of business due to Wal-Mart, and I live in a pretty small town...

I know that and you know that Shattered, but SHHH!! Don't ruin the Kool-Aid for Liberals who are opposed to any company that's successful....
:)

-Cp
05-19-2007, 09:54 PM
People who run small businesses are going to be ruined.

If you're not shopping at those "Smaller Businesses now, then you don't give a damn about them so why do you care?

If they do go out of business then you and other libs who love to feel bad and act like you care its the fault of the people in those areas for not supporting them..

And to anyone who only shops on price - you're ignorant... Many small businesses offer a WAY better value by bringing us a much higher-quality product and service..

Do you REALLY trust your car to a "Dee dee dee" working at the Wal Mart Oil Change? Or trust the opinion of the mouth-breathers working their "electronics" area? ...etc...etc...

shattered
05-19-2007, 09:58 PM
If you're not shopping at those "Smaller Businesses now, then you don't give a damn about them so why do you care?

If they do go out of business then you and other libs who love to feel bad and act like you care its the fault of the people in those areas for not supporting them..

And to anyone who only shops on price - you're ignorant... Many small businesses offer a WAY better value by bringing us a much higher-quality product and service..

Do you REALLY trust your car to a "Dee dee dee" working at the Wal Mart Oil Change? Or trust the opinion of the mouth-breathers working their "electronics" area? ...etc...etc...

Agreed. You quickly learn where to shop, depending on what you need... If I need bulk items and coffee, and dairy, I'm going to Walmart.. If I need decent bakery, and produce, I'm going to Pick & Save.. If I need a decent selection of greeting cards, I'm not going to either of those places - I'm going to Hallmark.. :D

Since everything is packed into a 1 mile radius (our "downtown" is about 3 blocks long), I can pick and choose where, and what...

Mr. P
05-19-2007, 10:10 PM
Agreed. You quickly learn where to shop, depending on what you need... If I need bulk items and coffee, and dairy, I'm going to Walmart.. If I need decent bakery, and produce, I'm going to Pick & Save.. If I need a decent selection of greeting cards, I'm not going to either of those places - I'm going to Hallmark.. :D

Since everything is packed into a 1 mile radius (our "downtown" is about 3 blocks long), I can pick and choose where, and what...

So you're shop smart but for price too..

I do, and it's not ignorant at all, it's smart. If A, B an C sell the same product and A is $10, B is $20 and C is $30 it's a no brainer. Unless of course you are ignorant.

82Marine89
05-19-2007, 10:15 PM
In a way, yes....

Sorry, but this is a Democratic Republic. Just because the majority wants it, doesn't make it legal. As I said before, the survival of small business depends on the consumer. If the business can not fill a niche, they will not survive. The popularity of Wal-Mart should not dictate their survival, nor should gov't intervention.

-Cp
05-19-2007, 11:08 PM
Sorry, but this is a Democratic Republic. Just because the majority wants it, doesn't make it legal. As I said before, the survival of small business depends on the consumer. If the business can not fill a niche, they will not survive. The popularity of Wal-Mart should not dictate their survival, nor should gov't intervention.

Wow - is there an Echo in here? :)

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showpost.php?p=61913&postcount=11

You're close, but it's not a "Democratic Republic" - it's a Constitutional Republic.. :)

nevadamedic
05-19-2007, 11:56 PM
Walmart is the White Trash capitol of the USA. Everytime I go in there I expect to run into Kid Rock and Pamela Anderson.:laugh2: