Heh.

jimnyc
03-21-2012, 12:40 PM
Heh.

Maybe you can help....

http://i41.tinypic.com/2iqn9n4.jpg

Anton Chigurh
03-21-2012, 12:47 PM
This is because the modification you use doesn't take into account all of the permutations of the many and varied YT links people might use.

jimnyc
03-21-2012, 12:52 PM
This is because the modification you use doesn't take into account all of the permutations of the many and varied YT links people might use.

But the code being copied should be the same, no? If one clicks on "share" and then "embed", there are a few variations, but shouldn't the output mostly be the same? If you look at the first code, the one that doesn't work, where could that possibly have come from within Youtube? I'd like to figure out WHAT they are copying and from WHERE at Youtube that is giving them code that causes problems here.

I went through this with another member. I ensured that he had all 4 boxes underneath the embed unchecked and went through every last detail, yet he was getting different code.

jimnyc
03-21-2012, 12:53 PM

Btw - no mods, none that we use anyway. In vB, you can just copy/paste the code depending on your settings. Or as stated, you can copy the direct URL into the video tags.

Anton Chigurh
03-21-2012, 12:59 PM
Btw - no mods, none that we use anyway. In vB, you can just copy/paste the code depending on your settings. Or as stated, you can copy the direct URL into the video tags.Clearly then, that is a built-in feature of version 4 of the software, which I have avoided like the plague and always will.

jimnyc
03-21-2012, 01:02 PM
Clearly then, that is a built-in feature of version 4 of the software, which I have avoided like the plague and always will.

Yes, I forget specifically which upgrade changed that code, but it was definitely in the 4's. Prior to that I had at one point altered some bbcode that allowed the function. Little things like this drive me nuts, when I can't reproduce the problem. It would be nice to get screenshots or short clips of specifically what these members were doing so I could try and fix it, or at least know!

Anton Chigurh
03-21-2012, 01:03 PM
I'd go over to the member's area of vB dot com and smack 'em with a support ticket.

jimnyc
03-21-2012, 01:04 PM
Clearly then, that is a built-in feature of version 4 of the software, which I have avoided like the plague and always will.

And you're not the first vB owner to tell me that. Many think the newer versions, since 4, are too bloated.

Anton Chigurh
03-21-2012, 01:08 PM
And you're not the first vB owner to tell me that. Many think the newer versions, since 4, are too bloated.It's like Windows Vista - trying to be something it's not and so you have everything clunky, twice the size it should be, code wise, and just generally a inferior product. It's why Kier Darby and other original vB developers, the fathers of php message board software, quit vB and formed their own company, XenForo. Version 4 of this software is polluted with all the "web 2.0" shit.

Anton Chigurh
03-21-2012, 01:16 PM
Analysis of your site on the web, from Patrick Meehan of Google's little helpful tool: http://www.webpagetest.org/result/120321_DK_3NWBT/ And here's one of your video laden music threads using same test: http://www.webpagetest.org/result/120321_VM_3NWD9/ As you can see, the second one is horrendous due to the video embeds. The first one is merely horrible.

jimnyc
03-21-2012, 01:21 PM
Analysis of your site on the web, from Patrick Meehan of Google's little helpful tool: http://www.webpagetest.org/result/120321_DK_3NWBT/ And here's one of your video laden music threads using same test: http://www.webpagetest.org/result/120321_VM_3NWD9/ As you can see, the second one is horrendous due to the video embeds. The first one is merely horrible.

Those results are weird. For example, I believe the second one states it takes 23s for the page to be fully loaded. But by my clock, its within a few seconds, every time. Pretty big discrepancy.

Anton Chigurh
03-21-2012, 01:23 PM
Those results are weird. For example, I believe the second one states it takes 23s for the page to be fully loaded. But by my clock, its within a few seconds, every time. Pretty big discrepancy.That's because your browser has a ton of cached stuff from here. Meehan's devices, don't. You can run same test on many different browsers and operating systems there.

Anton Chigurh
03-21-2012, 01:24 PM
I will say however that you have one of the best LOOKING vB4 installations I've seen. That's no small feat, considering what you have to work with. Kudos!

jimnyc
03-21-2012, 01:26 PM
That's because your browser has a ton of cached stuff from here. Meehan's devices, don't. You can run same test on many different browsers and operating systems there.

Try the one from here - http://www.websitepulse.com/

Go to free tools. Put in the same music thread, and even choose Germany to be the place to test from. MUCH faster results. Not that it should be that much slower, but I noticed the first tool was tested from a DSL line.

Anton Chigurh
03-21-2012, 01:27 PM
It's even worse for your smartphone users. http://www.blaze.io/mobile/result/?testid=120321_0Z_1PR&src=wpt

jimnyc
03-21-2012, 01:27 PM
I will say however that you have one of the best LOOKING vB4 installations I've seen. That's no small feat, considering what you have to work with. Kudos!

The Kudos goes to the gent listed next to the copyright at the bottom, all I did was pay the man! Well, I did tell him what I wanted too, but he turned my thoughts into what you see.

Anton Chigurh
03-21-2012, 01:28 PM
Try the one from here - http://www.websitepulse.com/ Go to free tools. Put in the same music thread, and even choose Germany to be the place to test from. MUCH faster results. Not that it should be that much slower, but I noticed the first tool was tested from a DSL line.I use the IE8 DSL as a baseline. Meehan's tool has many browsers, operating systems, and connections to choose from. It's THE tool for diagnosing site problems.

Anton Chigurh
03-21-2012, 01:30 PM
The reason I use Meehan's IE8 DSL as a baseline is, if I can make my stuff load fast on that? I don't have to sweat how it's going to be for people with better browsers and connections.

jimnyc
03-21-2012, 01:31 PM
I use the IE8 DSL as a baseline. Meehan's tool has many browsers, operating systems, and connections to choose from. It's THE tool for diagnosing site problems.

I already bookmarked it, I like to have a ton of sites like that, you never know! But the best way to test is to do so from various remote locations. So far I have done 3 more besides the one you tested with and all are similar to websitepulse. If one has a higher latency than the others, it's usually indicative of a specific "issue" between their server and mine. In other words, unfortunately out of my control.

Anton Chigurh
03-21-2012, 01:32 PM
Also, look at item 4 of your waterfall. You have a 404 error from some CSS that's expected, but doesn't load for whatever reason: http://www.webpagetest.org/result/120321_DK_3NWBT/1/details/

Anton Chigurh
03-21-2012, 01:34 PM
Details on the above:
URL: http://www.debatepolicy.com/clientscript/vbulletin_css/style00019l/vmoods.css,vmoods_css_classic_72x15.css Host: www.debatepolicy.com IP: 69.73.139.27 Location: Fulshear, TX Error/Status Code: 404 Start Offset: 1.180 s DNS Lookup: ms Initial Connection: 98 ms Time to First Byte: 142 ms Content Download: 0 ms Bytes In (downloaded): 0.9 KB Bytes Out (uploaded): 0.5 KB

Anton Chigurh
03-21-2012, 01:36 PM
I already bookmarked it, I like to have a ton of sites like that, you never know! But the best way to test is to do so from various remote locations. So far I have done 3 more besides the one you tested with and all are similar to websitepulse. If one has a higher latency than the others, it's usually indicative of a specific "issue" between their server and mine. In other words, unfortunately out of my control.Scientific method begins with a consistent baseline. If you can make it load fast on the IE8 DSL, it loads faster for everyone.

jimnyc
03-21-2012, 01:37 PM
Also, look at item 4 of your waterfall. You have a 404 error from some CSS that's expected, but doesn't load for whatever reason: http://www.webpagetest.org/result/120321_DK_3NWBT/1/details/

Interesting, here is what it's looking for -
http://www.debatepolicy.com/clientscript/vbulletin_css/style00019l/vmoods.css,vmoods_css_classic_72x15.css

Now, I do have the file - vmoods__css_classic_72x15.css

Seems to be a break in the code somewhere, but I have no clue where it's asking for that css file from

Anton Chigurh
03-21-2012, 01:42 PM
style00019 is the folder called for. This is coming up because when called, your script is telling the browser to load it. And for some reason, it's not there.

jimnyc
03-21-2012, 01:44 PM
style00019 is the folder called for. This is coming up because when called, your script is telling the browser to load it. And for some reason, it's not there.

That's what I mean, if I ftp in, and go to that folder, both those files DO exist in there. Odd.

Anton Chigurh
03-21-2012, 01:44 PM
Interesting, here is what it's looking for -
http://www.debatepolicy.com/clientscript/vbulletin_css/style00019l/vmoods.css,vmoods_css_classic_72x15.cssNot Found The requested URL /clientscript/vbulletin_css/style00019l/vmoods.css,vmoods_css_classic_72x15.css was not found on this server. Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

jimnyc
03-21-2012, 01:46 PM
Not Found The requested URL /clientscript/vbulletin_css/style00019l/vmoods.css,vmoods_css_classic_72x15.css was not found on this server. Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

That link is looking for 2 files in one link, is that possible?

vmoods.css
vmoods_css_classic_72x15.css

They both exist, but that link is asking for both, separated by a comma.

Anton Chigurh
03-21-2012, 01:46 PM
Not Found The requested URL /clientscript/vbulletin_css/style00019l/vmoods.css,vmoods_css_classic_72x15.css was not found on this server. Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.vmoods.css,vmoods_css_classic_72x15.css I suspect the bolded part is the issue. In your script you have that, and I bet the bolded part is in error. The comma tips me off.

jimnyc
03-21-2012, 01:47 PM
vmoods.css,vmoods_css_classic_72x15.css I suspect the bolded part is the issue. In your script you have that, and I bet the bolded part is in error. The comma tips me off.

Now I gotta figure out where the hell that is being called from!

Anton Chigurh
03-21-2012, 01:49 PM
Hey man, why do i seem to have so many restrictions on my account? I am not getting the enhanced WYSIWYG editor, my line breaks don't render, what's the deal?

jimnyc
03-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Hey man, why do i seem to have so many restrictions on my account? I am not getting the enhanced WYSIWYG editor, my line breaks don't render, what's the deal?

Go to your CP settings and make sure you are set to use the enhanced editor, general settings all the way at the bottom. No restrictions on your account.

Anton Chigurh
03-21-2012, 01:52 PM
Now I gotta figure out where the hell that is being called from!It looks like the fault is in the IF conditional related to supporting the piece of garbage IE8!
<!--[if lt IE 8]> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="clientscript/vbulletin_css/style00019l/popupmenu-ie.css?d=1331659255" /> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="clientscript/vbulletin_css/style00019l/vbulletin-ie.css?d=1331659255" /> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="clientscript/vbulletin_css/style00019l/vbulletin-chrome-ie.css?d=1331659255" /> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="clientscript/vbulletin_css/style00019l/vbulletin-formcontrols-ie.css?d=1331659255" /> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="clientscript/vbulletin_css/style00019l/editor-ie.css?d=1331659255" /> <![endif]--> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="clientscript/vbulletin_css/style00019l/vmoods.css,vmoods_css_classic_72x15.css" /> <title>Debate Policy - Political Forum for Debates & Discussion</title> <script type="text/javascript" src="clientscript/vbulletin_read_marker.js?v=4111"></script> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="clientscript/vbulletin_css/style00019l/forumhome-rollup.css?d=1331659255" /> <!--[if lt IE 8]><link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="clientscript/vbulletin_css/style00019l/forumbits-ie.css?d=1331659255" /> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="clientscript/vbulletin_css/style00019l/options-ie.css?d=1331659255" /><![endif]-->

Anton Chigurh
03-21-2012, 01:53 PM
Go to your CP settings and make sure you are set to use the enhanced editor, general settings all the way at the bottom. No restrictions on your account.I did and am set up right. Can't edit my posts either, the post comes up to be edited but nothing happens when I click "submit."

Anton Chigurh
03-21-2012, 01:55 PM
It looks like the fault is in the IF conditional related to supporting the piece of garbage IE8! <!--[if lt IE 8]> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="clientscript/vbulletin_css/style00019l/popupmenu-ie.css?d=1331659255" /> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="clientscript/vbulletin_css/style00019l/vbulletin-ie.css?d=1331659255" /> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="clientscript/vbulletin_css/style00019l/vbulletin-chrome-ie.css?d=1331659255" /> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="clientscript/vbulletin_css/style00019l/vbulletin-formcontrols-ie.css?d=1331659255" /> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="clientscript/vbulletin_css/style00019l/editor-ie.css?d=1331659255" /> <![endif]--> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="clientscript/vbulletin_css/style00019l/vmoods.css,vmoods_css_classic_72x15.css" /> <title>Debate Policy - Political Forum for Debates & Discussion</title> <script type="text/javascript" src="clientscript/vbulletin_read_marker.js?v=4111"></script> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="clientscript/vbulletin_css/style00019l/forumhome-rollup.css?d=1331659255" /> <!--[if lt IE 8]><link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="clientscript/vbulletin_css/style00019l/forumbits-ie.css?d=1331659255" /> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="clientscript/vbulletin_css/style00019l/options-ie.css?d=1331659255" /><![endif]-->

Anton Chigurh
03-21-2012, 01:55 PM
Debate Policy - Political Forum for Debates & Discussion

jimnyc
03-21-2012, 01:59 PM
I did and am set up right. Can't edit my posts either, the post comes up to be edited but nothing happens when I click "submit."

Is it a recent post? We do have a 20 minute time limit. Other than that, you're in the same usergroup as everyone else which controls editing rights.

jimnyc
03-21-2012, 01:59 PM
Debate Policy - Political Forum for Debates & Discussion

What am I missing?

Anton Chigurh
03-21-2012, 02:01 PM
What am I missing?I was tryna paste the actual code in, apparently not allowed.

Anton Chigurh
03-21-2012, 02:01 PM
See post 34 and hit "edit" and you might see the code, i put it in quote tags there.

jimnyc
03-21-2012, 02:05 PM
See post 34 and hit "edit" and you might see the code, i put it in quote tags there.

Yeah, I found that too, I'm just not sure yet where I need to go in order to fix the code.

Anton Chigurh
03-21-2012, 02:07 PM
Not sure either where I would be looking.

jimnyc
03-21-2012, 02:26 PM
Ok, I think I found out where the issue was. I ran the test again from your site and no more error that I can see. On the navigation bar at the top, you can choose your "mood". That hack, vmoods, had a bogus line in the templates. I think I got that sorted.

As for any issue you're having... Do you have Firefox or another browser to do a test with? IE8 blows.... But you should have no problem editing a post within 20 minutes of posting.

As for the code, I don't know. I know it works for some things, like links -
http://www.debatepolicy.com and it gets rid of the ability to click on it. But there are other "tags", that with the code tags around those tags, does nothing. That's why I had to take a screenshot of the VIDEO tags, as once I placed them within the CODE tags, they came up blank once posted.

Anton Chigurh
03-21-2012, 02:28 PM
I'm on Firefox 11, as you can see by my user agent.

jimnyc
03-21-2012, 02:35 PM
I'm on Firefox 11, as you can see by my user agent.

I assume the only outstanding issue is editing posts? Are they over 20 mins since the time you posted them? If not, you shouldn't be having any issues editing, and no one else is experiencing this issue.

Anton Chigurh
03-21-2012, 03:01 PM
I assume the only outstanding issue is editing posts? Are they over 20 mins since the time you posted them? If not, you shouldn't be having any issues editing, and no one else is experiencing this issue.It's nothing to do with the time limit, I am allowed to edit but when clicking "send" nothing happens.

**just testing**

jimnyc
03-21-2012, 03:04 PM
It's nothing to do with the time limit, I am allowed to edit but when clicking "send" nothing happens.

**just testing**

I just edited yours as a test, that worked. And others are editing without an issue. I'm lost as to why you would be having this issue.

Anton Chigurh
03-21-2012, 03:06 PM
I just edited yours as a test, that worked. And others are editing without an issue. I'm lost as to why you would be having this issue.It's gotta be on this end somehow. Although I am not having this issue on any other vB4 board I'm on. No biggie, since I so seldom ever need to edit anyway!