PDA

View Full Version : Starcraft II Announced!!!

Hobbit
05-19-2007, 10:35 PM
No release date. No plot data. Just a bit of gameplay footage, a couple of trailers, and an announcement that it's coming. I can barely contain myself.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/starcraft2/index.html

05-19-2007, 11:31 PM
you sound like my friend. I never was into it. but i like when good games come out. maybe ill get into it someday.

nevadamedic
05-19-2007, 11:57 PM
you sound like my friend. I never was into it. but i like when good games come out. maybe ill get into it someday.

Ive never even herd of it.

Hobbit
05-20-2007, 12:18 AM
Ive never even herd of it.

Starcraft is probably the best real-time strategy game every made. If the sequel's even half as good, it'll be worth it's weight in platinum-plated cocaine.

Normally, I don't get this excited over a video game, but when it's a favorite franchise being made by a company with a near-perfect track record, I just can't say no.

-Cp
05-20-2007, 12:35 AM
Starcraft is probably the best real-time strategy game every made. If the sequel's even half as good, it'll be worth it's weight in platinum-plated cocaine.

Normally, I don't get this excited over a video game, but when it's a favorite franchise being made by a company with a near-perfect track record, I just can't say no.

I played over 2000 games online of the original and the Broodwars Expansion.. :)

It's definitely one of the best ever made... lately though, I like Command and Conquer 3 :)

Blizzard doesn't have a perfect record by any stretch.. as it has one HUGE skid-mark with World of Bullcraft.. :)

nevadamedic
05-20-2007, 12:56 AM

Anything like Civilization? That is my favorite online game and Final Fantasy 3 for the Super Nintendo is my favorite video game of all time.:laugh2:

-Cp
05-20-2007, 01:00 AM
Anything like Civilization? That is my favorite online game and Final Fantasy 3 for the Super Nintendo is my favorite video game of all time.:laugh2:

not at all. it's an RTS (Real Time Strategy) game....

Hobbit
05-20-2007, 01:05 AM
I played over 2000 games online of the original and the Broodwars Expansion.. :)

It's definitely one of the best ever made... lately though, I like Command and Conquer 3 :)

Blizzard doesn't have a perfect record by any stretch.. as it has one HUGE skid-mark with World of Bullcraft.. :)

Yeah, a skid mark that's making them more money than God. It has over 8 million subscribers, yours truly included. It's an awesome game.

nevadamedic
05-20-2007, 01:05 AM
not at all. it's an RTS (Real Time Strategy) game....

Oh, still don't know what that is.

Hobbit
05-20-2007, 01:36 AM
Oh, still don't know what that is.

Ok, let's compare this to Civilization. Civilization is a turn-based strategy game. That means that you issue orders to all of your troops, order production for your buildings, and then set all of your stuff to do what you want it to. Then, you hit 'end turn' and one of your opponents does the same thing, and on and on until it's your turn again. Each unit can move so far per turn. Everything takes x turns to produce, etc. Ok, now that we have a basis for comparison, on to real time.

In a real time strategy, all players play simultaneously. When you tell a building to produce a unit, it will take x seconds, rather than turns. Your units move so far per second, and rather than just having some arbitrary attack power, they have a rate of fire (hit once every x seconds) and do x damage per hit. All players may issue orders simultaneously. All troops move simultaneously. There are no turns. It's far more fast-paced and more like a game of capture the flag or football than checkers or chess. If you want to see what I'm talking about, Starcraft is about $10 a copy. Heck, for $15, you can probably get the battle chest, which has Starcraft, the expansion pack, "Brood War," and strategy guides for both. It's easy to learn and fun as hell.

nevadamedic
05-20-2007, 01:38 AM
Ok, let's compare this to Civilization. Civilization is a turn-based strategy game. That means that you issue orders to all of your troops, order production for your buildings, and then set all of your stuff to do what you want it to. Then, you hit 'end turn' and one of your opponents does the same thing, and on and on until it's your turn again. Each unit can move so far per turn. Everything takes x turns to produce, etc. Ok, now that we have a basis for comparison, on to real time.

In a real time strategy, all players play simultaneously. When you tell a building to produce a unit, it will take x seconds, rather than turns. Your units move so far per second, and rather than just having some arbitrary attack power, they have a rate of fire (hit once every x seconds) and do x damage per hit. All players may issue orders simultaneously. All troops move simultaneously. There are no turns. It's far more fast-paced and more like a game of capture the flag or football than checkers or chess. If you want to see what I'm talking about, Starcraft is about $10 a copy. Heck, for $15, you can probably get the battle chest, which has Starcraft, the expansion pack, "Brood War," and strategy guides for both. It's easy to learn and fun as hell.

I think I have a Star Wars game like that, its a couple years old Im trying to find it to remember the name..........

nevadamedic
05-20-2007, 01:43 AM
I think I have a Star Wars game like that, its a couple years old Im trying to find it to remember the name..........

It's called Star Wars Empire at War.

Hobbit
05-20-2007, 02:10 AM
It's called Star Wars Empire at War.

Yes, that is a real-time strategy game. It's less than a year old and quite awesome, but Starcraft still remains the most successful and probably best RTS of all time.

nevadamedic
05-20-2007, 02:14 AM
Yes, that is a real-time strategy game. It's less than a year old and quite awesome, but Starcraft still remains the most successful and probably best RTS of all time.

I bought Empire at War over 2 years ago!

CockySOB
05-20-2007, 07:48 AM

Agreed. StarCraft built the Blizzard empire, and even though it hasn't seen an upgrade in a decade, it is still the standard for ALL 2.5D RTS games. StarCraft 2 is the long-awaited sequel/upgrade which for the first time in gaming history DOESN'T fuck up the sequel/upgrade process.

If anyone is interested in game programming/design, StarCraft is the textbook example of how to do it right.

Hobbit
05-20-2007, 01:37 PM
I bought Empire at War over 2 years ago!

Well, I was wrong about less than a year old, but not by much. Release date was Feb 17, 2006.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/starwarsrts/index.html?q=empire%20at%20war&tag=result;title;1