PDA

View Full Version : Pelosi defends Murtha vs. GOP reprimand

Yurt
05-20-2007, 10:35 AM
Pelosi defends Murtha vs. GOP reprimand

WASHINGTON - House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (news, bio, voting record) is defending a close Democratic ally whom Republicans want to reprimand for threatening a GOP lawmaker's spending projects.

Pelosi, D-Calif., said she had "no idea what actually happened" during a noisy exchange in the House chamber last week between Reps. John P. Murtha, D-Pa., and Mike Rogers, R-Mich.

"What I do know is that Congressman Murtha has — enjoys — an excellent reputation in the Congress on both sides of the aisle," said Pelosi in a broadcast interview taped Friday and aired Sunday.

"He writes the defense appropriation bill in a bipartisan way each year and with the complete involvement of the Republicans as to who gets what on the Republican side," she said.

Murtha is a 35-year House veteran who leads the House Appropriations subcommittee on military spending. He is known for a fondness for earmarks — carefully targeted spending items placed in appropriations bills to benefit a specific lawmaker or favored constituent group.

During a series of House votes Thursday, Murtha walked to the GOP side to confront Rogers, a former FBI agent. This month, Rogers had tried unsuccessfully to strike from an intelligence spending bill an item that would restore $23 million for the National Drug Intelligence Center, a facility in Murtha's Pennsylvania district.

According to Rogers' account, which Murtha did not dispute, the Democrat angrily told Rogers he should never seek earmarks of his own because "you're not going to get any, now or forever."

"This was clearly designed to try to intimidate me," Rogers told The Associated Press on Friday. "He said it loud enough for other people to hear."

House rules prohibit lawmakers from placing conditions on earmarks or targeted tax benefits that are based on another member's votes.

Murtha's office said in a statement: "The committee and staff give every Democrat and Republican the same consideration. We have extensive hearings and every request is given careful consideration. We will continue to do just that."

Rogers said he planned to file a "privileged resolution" Monday that would seek a House vote on whether to reprimand Murtha.

"I wasn't there" for the confrontation, Pelosi said. "I do know that the Republicans caused quite a stir that was unjustified on the floor of the House, and I'm sure things were said on both sides."

She added, "I don't know that there was going to be a resolution. There was rumor that that might be the form it would take, but we'll deal with it if that's what comes forward. But I think Mr. Murtha's reputation for bipartisanship will hold him in good stead."

During leadership elections after Democrats regained control of the House in November, Pelosi aggressively backed Murtha in his bid to become majority leader, the No. 2 position. He lost to Rep. Steny Hoyer (news, bio, voting record), D-Md.

Pelosi spoke on ABC's "This Week."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070520/ap_on_go_co/congress_murtha;_ylt=Akz3_YPS1.JoCkFxJyRMTJMEtbAF

diuretic
05-20-2007, 10:42 AM
What a wuss. Check out the Taiwan legislature - roundhouse kicks, axe kicks, turning back kicks...bah this is weak.

nevadamedic
05-20-2007, 11:40 AM
What a wuss. Check out the Taiwan legislature - roundhouse kicks, axe kicks, turning back kicks...bah this is weak.

This guy is a creep, and he has to be up to no good, especially if Pelosi is siding with him.

Doniston
05-20-2007, 11:56 AM
Pelosi defends Murtha vs. GOP reprimand

WASHINGTON - House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (news, bio, voting record) is defending a close Democratic ally whom Republicans want to reprimand for threatening a GOP lawmaker's spending projects.

Pelosi, D-Calif., said she had "no idea what actually happened" during a noisy exchange in the House chamber last week between Reps. John P. Murtha, D-Pa., and Mike Rogers, R-Mich.

"What I do know is that Congressman Murtha has — enjoys — an excellent reputation in the Congress on both sides of the aisle," said Pelosi in a broadcast interview taped Friday and aired Sunday.

"He writes the defense appropriation bill in a bipartisan way each year and with the complete involvement of the Republicans as to who gets what on the Republican side," she said.

Murtha is a 35-year House veteran who leads the House Appropriations subcommittee on military spending. He is known for a fondness for earmarks — carefully targeted spending items placed in appropriations bills to benefit a specific lawmaker or favored constituent group.

During a series of House votes Thursday, Murtha walked to the GOP side to confront Rogers, a former FBI agent. This month, Rogers had tried unsuccessfully to strike from an intelligence spending bill an item that would restore $23 million for the National Drug Intelligence Center, a facility in Murtha's Pennsylvania district.

According to Rogers' account, which Murtha did not dispute, the Democrat angrily told Rogers he should never seek earmarks of his own because "you're not going to get any, now or forever."

"This was clearly designed to try to intimidate me," Rogers told The Associated Press on Friday. "He said it loud enough for other people to hear."

House rules prohibit lawmakers from placing conditions on earmarks or targeted tax benefits that are based on another member's votes.

Murtha's office said in a statement: "The committee and staff give every Democrat and Republican the same consideration. We have extensive hearings and every request is given careful consideration. We will continue to do just that."

Rogers said he planned to file a "privileged resolution" Monday that would seek a House vote on whether to reprimand Murtha.

"I wasn't there" for the confrontation, Pelosi said. "I do know that the Republicans caused quite a stir that was unjustified on the floor of the House, and I'm sure things were said on both sides."

She added, "I don't know that there was going to be a resolution. There was rumor that that might be the form it would take, but we'll deal with it if that's what comes forward. But I think Mr. Murtha's reputation for bipartisanship will hold him in good stead."

During leadership elections after Democrats regained control of the House in November, Pelosi aggressively backed Murtha in his bid to become majority leader, the No. 2 position. He lost to Rep. Steny Hoyer (news, bio, voting record), D-Md.

Pelosi spoke on ABC's "This Week."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070520/ap_on_go_co/congress_murtha;_ylt=Akz3_YPS1.JoCkFxJyRMTJMEtbAF I listened to that speach too, and I don't beleive she defended him, but rather "supported" him, and said his reputation will overcome.

Doniston
05-20-2007, 11:58 AM
What a wuss. Check out the Taiwan legislature - roundhouse kicks, axe kicks, turning back kicks...bah this is weak. What does that have to do with THIS subject???

Yurt
05-20-2007, 11:59 AM
I listened to that speach too, and I don't beleive she defended him, but rather "supported" him, and said his reputation will overcome.

Basically the same in this situation. As speaker of the house, she should take a more neutral stance when a member is accused of wrongdoing like this. So she is effectively defending him as can also been seen by her remarks that accuse the republicans of bad dealing while basically ignoring the charge against her twisted fellow dem.

nevadamedic
05-20-2007, 12:03 PM
Basically the same in this situation. As speaker of the house, she should take a more neutral stance when a member is accused of wrongdoing like this. So she is effectively defending him as can also been seen by her remarks that accuse the republicans of bad dealing while basically ignoring the charge against her twisted fellow dem.

You have to remember who we are talking about, she is one of the most crooked people in the House.

Birdzeye
05-20-2007, 12:41 PM
You have to remember who we are talking about, she is one of the most crooked people in the House.

I'd ask for evidence to prove this, but I know I'll just get a rehash of all the bogus made-up non-scandals the GOPers have concocted about her since she became speaker.

nevadamedic
05-20-2007, 12:44 PM
I'd ask for evidence to prove this, but I know I'll just get a rehash of all the bogus made-up non-scandals the GOPers have concocted about her since she became speaker.

The last time you asked for evidence I gave you eight links including links to national news media articles, but you seem to think the GOP pursuaded the Liberal news media to attack one of their own.

Birdzeye
05-20-2007, 01:12 PM
The last time you asked for evidence I gave you eight links including links to national news media articles, but you seem to think the GOP pursuaded the Liberal news media to attack one of their own.

No, the last time you gave me links, they were opinion pieces or from a source with a clear axe to grind. Neither has much value in actually proving anything.

Besides, I didn't ask you for any links this time, so why are you pissing and moaning?

nevadamedic
05-20-2007, 01:20 PM
No, the last time you gave me links, they were opinion pieces or from a source with a clear axe to grind. Neither has much value in actually proving anything.

Besides, I didn't ask you for any links this time, so why are you pissing and moaning?

Get bent.

Birdzeye
05-20-2007, 01:27 PM
Get bent.

Awwww. Temper, temper. :laugh2:

Doniston
05-20-2007, 01:55 PM
Basically the same in this situation. As speaker of the house, she should take a more neutral stance when a member is accused of wrongdoing like this. So she is effectively defending him as can also been seen by her remarks that accuse the republicans of bad dealing while basically ignoring the charge against her twisted fellow dem.We disagree in what she did, and frankly I am not a fan of either of them.