PDA

View Full Version : Should expungement laws be changed for domestic violence?

tailfins
03-28-2012, 10:42 AM
It seems to make no sense that the breadwinner of a family convicted of domestic violence be sentenced to a lifetime of poverty. I once asked a person giving me a haircut how she got into the profession. Her reply was that her husband couldn't find a job and probably never will find a good job. I asked why. She replied that she and her husband once had a barn burner of a fight and her husband was convicted of domestic violence. Because of HIS conviction, SHE is in a sense sentenced to be the breadwinner for decades to come. What does the Debate Policy team have to say about the above situation?

Apparently cosmetology is a safe haven for people affected by a criminal record.

Wind Song
03-28-2012, 10:43 AM
Who is the Debate Policy team?

1. You don't know whether the person who gave the haircut was telling you the truth about her husband's record and reason for not having a job.

2. Do you propose that certain violent crimes be expunged if the criminal has a family?

3. The woman is "sentenced" to being the breadwinner? Come on now.

MtnBiker
03-28-2012, 10:46 AM

Members of this site with a minumum amount of intelligence to understand what Tailfins meant.

Wind Song
03-28-2012, 10:51 AM
Members of this site with a minumum amount of intelligence to understand what Tailfins meant.

Are you implying that asking a question constitutes a lack of intelligence? Is this how you treat new members? No wonder so few people post here.

MtnBiker
03-28-2012, 10:57 AM
Simply answering your question. Hope the clearification helped.

Wind Song
03-28-2012, 11:00 AM
Simply answering your question. Hope the clearification helped.

The clarification was helpful, the assumption that my question was unintelligent wasn't.

tailfins
03-28-2012, 11:03 AM

1. You don't know whether the person who gave the haircut was telling you the truth about her husband's record and reason for not having a job.

2. Do you propose that certain violent crimes be expunged if the criminal has a family?

3. The woman is "sentenced" to being the breadwinner? Come on now.

1) It was a home salon and I met her husband, my kids played with their kids. He had all kinds of programming books and was able to have an intelligent discussion about multi-tier software architecture. I'm 80% sure they were telling the truth. Even if they weren't there are people out there with that same problem. Read prison blogs if you want more examples.

2) I support the pre-1998 policy of criminal record reporting being subject to a seven year limit.

3) That whole family was living in poverty. It was believable that she wouldn't be spending her days giving $8 haircuts if her husband was bringing home a paycheck.

Wind Song
03-28-2012, 11:06 AM
1) It was a home salon and I met her husband, my kids played with their kids. He had all kinds of programming books and was able to have an intelligent discussion about multi-tier software architecture. I'm 80% sure they were telling the truth. Even if they weren't there are people out there with that same problem. Read prison blogs if you want more examples.

2) I support the pre-1998 policy of criminal record reporting being subject to a seven year limit

3) That whole family was living in poverty. It was believable that should wouldn't be spending her days giving $8 haircuts if her husband was bringing home a paycheck.

What should this woman be doing? Not working?

I'm all for giving people who've made mistakes second chances. My guess is this guy could do SOME kind of work if he really wanted to.

MtnBiker
03-28-2012, 11:10 AM
The clarification was helpful, the assumption that my question was unintelligent wasn't.

Wonderful, I am glad I was helpful.

Tailfins, sorry to interupt the thread. Back to topic.

Wind Song
03-28-2012, 11:14 AM
Your question is should expungement laws be changed for domestic violence?

Why just for domestic violence? Is domestic violence a "lesser" violent crime than other violent crime?

jimnyc
03-28-2012, 11:35 AM

I don't think it was an assumption...