PDA

View Full Version : Gated Community Mentality--Make My Day and Stand Your Ground Laws

Wind Song
03-29-2012, 06:59 PM
Gated communities have a "bunker mentality". Self-contained, conservative and overzealous in its demands for “safety.” These bunker communities churn a vicious cycle by attracting like-minded residents who seek shelter from outsiders and whose physical seclusion then worsens paranoid groupthink against outsiders.

Residents’ palpable satisfaction with their communities’ virtue and their evident readiness to trumpet alarm at any given “threat” create a peculiar atmosphere — an unholy alliance of smugness and insecurity. In this us-versus-them mental landscape, them refers to new immigrants, blacks, young people, renters, non-property-owners and people perceived to be poor.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/30/opinion/the-gated-community-mentality.html

SassyLady
03-29-2012, 07:09 PM
Gated communities have a "bunker mentality". Self-contained, conservative and overzealous in its demands for “safety.” These bunker communities churn a vicious cycle by attracting like-minded residents who seek shelter from outsiders and whose physical seclusion then worsens paranoid groupthink against outsiders.

Residents’ palpable satisfaction with their communities’ virtue and their evident readiness to trumpet alarm at any given “threat” create a peculiar atmosphere — an unholy alliance of smugness and insecurity. In this us-versus-them mental landscape, them refers to new immigrants, blacks, young people, renters, non-property-owners and people perceived to be poor.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/30/opinion/the-gated-community-mentality.html

I live in a gated community and I have Hispanics on both side of me and whites on either side of them. We do not, however, have any blacks or Asians out this way yet. Probably because this is more of a farming community.

I would be offended by this but when I look at the poster and the originator of the story I just have pity for their naivety.

From article:

The perverse, pervasive real-estate speak I heard in these communities champions a bunker mentality. Residents often expressed a fear of crime that was exaggerated beyond the actual criminal threat, as documented by their police department’s statistics.

Guess this proves that gated communities are safer....I just don't understand why someone would think it is wrong to want to protect oneself from crime and criminals?

jimnyc
03-29-2012, 07:12 PM
Guess this proves that gated communities are safer....I just don't understand why someone would think it is wrong to want to protect oneself from crime and criminals?

Speak the facts, you're racist. Protect yourself, you're racist. Be white, you're racist.

SassyLady
03-29-2012, 07:24 PM
Speak the facts, you're racist. Protect yourself, you're racist. Be white, you're racist.

Color me racist.....I will not hesitate to protect my family and what is mine with what I have available at the time....guns, knives, pellet guns, tazers, pepper spray, dogs....well placed booby traps (that one is for you Jim).

darin
03-29-2012, 07:29 PM
what a worthless opinion and thread. Folks may wanna stop feeding the trolls. :(

logroller
03-29-2012, 07:35 PM
Color me racist.....I will not hesitate to protect my family and what is mine with what I have available at the time....guns, knives, pellet guns, tazers, pepper spray, dogs....well placed booby traps (that one is for you Jim).
That's borderline torture...of course, I don't think you can torture the willing. :thumb:

SassyLady
03-29-2012, 07:36 PM
That's borderline torture...of course, I don't think you can torture the willing. :thumb:

I was almost afraid to post that thinking that Jim will be on the next plane to my house.

Innovative BoobyTraps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU256cGwMHM