PDA

View Full Version : Walmart to use food as loss leader

tailfins
03-30-2012, 10:44 AM
http://www.foxbusiness.com/news/2012/03/28/wal-mart-plans-to-reduce-grocery-prices-by-1-billion/

I know we drive up to New Hampshire on a buying trip that exceeds $500. We usually come back with barely a square foot of free space in the car, not to mention the sales tax difference on non-food items. It seems half the cars at the Salem, NH Wal-mart have Mass. plates. Crossing the border can save you something like 20%.

logroller
03-30-2012, 10:52 AM
If Walmart was country, they'd face IMF sanctions for artificially deflating prices. Its criminal IMO.

Abbey Marie
03-30-2012, 10:58 AM
http://www.foxbusiness.com/news/2012/03/28/wal-mart-plans-to-reduce-grocery-prices-by-1-billion/

I know we drive up to New Hampshire on a buying trip that exceeds $500. We usually come back with barely a square foot of free space in the car, not to mention the sales tax difference on non-food items. It seems half the cars at the Salem, NH Wal-mart have Mass. plates. Crossing the border can save you something like 20%.

Off topic a bit, but we shopped at that very Wal-Mart last summer on our way to Maine. We were the car with Delaware plates, lol.

KitchenKitten99
03-30-2012, 11:03 AM
If Walmart was country, they'd face IMF sanctions for artificially deflating prices. Its criminal IMO.

Walmart is the best example of how capitalism works with little government interference as well as union domineering control.

People will always choose what they deem most important, which is usually cost. Especially with the economy the way it is. Tailfin's example is how people will always find ways around the system to survive. If that means going over the border to save significant dollars to maintain their way of life, then so be it. That means Massachusetts is not going to get the dollars they hoped for and they then wonder why their tax revenue STILL sucks wind even when they stick it to 'the rich' in their state.

Government interference is even making it hard for MY business here in MN--oh the stories I could tell you just from the past 3 months alone!!! And unions will ALWAYS drive the prices up because of their need to line the Union Boss' pockets and lobby the DFL. See prices of FORD, GM, and DODGE, vs Toyota and other non-union companies.

logroller
03-30-2012, 12:28 PM
Walmart is the best example of how capitalism works with little government interference as well as union domineering control.

People will always choose what they deem most important, which is usually cost. Especially with the economy the way it is. Tailfin's example is how people will always find ways around the system to survive. If that means going over the border to save significant dollars to maintain their way of life, then so be it. That means Massachusetts is not going to get the dollars they hoped for and they then wonder why their tax revenue STILL sucks wind even when they stick it to 'the rich' in their state.

Government interference is even making it hard for MY business here in MN--oh the stories I could tell you just from the past 3 months alone!!! And unions will ALWAYS drive the prices up because of their need to line the Union Boss' pockets and lobby the DFL. See prices of FORD, GM, and DODGE, vs Toyota and other non-union companies.

You mean crony capitalism; cause that's what price-fixing demonstrates. Its what inspired unions and governments to interfere a century ago. Its an example of free-market activity, sort of; just like insider trading is. As long as buyers are aware that price-fixing is nothing more than a bait and switch, with American leverage being lost-- only then is it freedom. To put a price on that is difficult; but with an ever-growing foreign debt, and market-wide decreases in consumer price indexes, its not hard to see what effect it has. It means the US is not going to get the job growth We hope for and then wonder why our economy is sluggish; embracing Walmart's guaranteed low prices--- the very mechanism by which We are stifled. But hey, save a dime-- you'll need it when its only worth a nickel in a few years.

Trigg
03-30-2012, 12:35 PM
I don't buy food at Wal-Mart

I buy all my meat from a local butcher, so I know where my food comes from. I also buy my eggs from a farmer that hubby works with.

All of my other food and non-food items I buy from our local grocery. I hate to see the little guy swallowed up.

tailfins
03-30-2012, 01:50 PM
You mean crony capitalism; cause that's what price-fixing demonstrates. Its what inspired unions and governments to interfere a century ago. Its an example of free-market activity, sort of; just like insider trading is. As long as buyers are aware that price-fixing is nothing more than a bait and switch, with American leverage being lost-- only then is it freedom. To put a price on that is difficult; but with an ever-growing foreign debt, and market-wide decreases in consumer price indexes, its not hard to see what effect it has. It means the US is not going to get the job growth We hope for and then wonder why our economy is sluggish; embracing Walmart's guaranteed low prices--- the very mechanism by which We are stifled. But hey, save a dime-- you'll need it when its only worth a nickel in a few years.

Are you honestly saying that if you were going to supply your house with a cookware, microwave, portable A/C, coffee maker, etc. and it was $1200 at Mr. Caccitore's True Value or $800 at a Wal-mart across the state line, that you would spend the $1200?

logroller
03-30-2012, 02:34 PM
Are you honestly saying that if you were going to supply your house with a cookware, microwave, portable A/C, coffee maker, etc. and it was $1200 at Mr. Caccitore's True Value or $800 at a Wal-mart across the state line, that you would spend the $1200?

I buy cookware through the local restaurant supply (curiously, almost all are from Minnesota); though I do have some European high-dollar copper stuff and a Le Crueset roaster(french). Stainless steel mixing bowls, American made by reverware, older than I am; they're from my grandma's estate. Casual and Formal flatware-- American made Oneida! Service and dinnerware-- Japanese- I forget the brand. American stemware. Don't have a microwave. Fridge is American, Whirlpool gold, through an independent distributor. German made Bosch HE dishwasher, clothes washer and dryer. Dual central A/C, Rheem-- its got union stamps too, not that it matters to me. Coffee maker was a gift, Taiwanese, 10 years old and still kicking. Though, I also use an Italian press and grinder, using a German-made Braun hot water maker. Had them for years, not sure on the cost, probably hundreds, but once I spread it out over the years of use, its not so dramatic. I could go on and on...Kohler toilets and sinks-- american! Plus, I value them highly because they were built by craftsman, not some kids fresh out of the rice-paddies. To me, value trumps cost.

DragonStryk72
03-30-2012, 03:02 PM
I buy cookware through the local restaurant supply (curiously, almost all are from Minnesota); though I do have some European high-dollar copper stuff and a Le Crueset roaster(french). Stainless steel mixing bowls, American made by reverware, older than I am; they're from my grandma's estate. Casual and Formal flatware-- American made Oneida! Service and dinnerware-- Japanese- I forget the brand. American stemware. Don't have a microwave. Fridge is American, Whirlpool gold, through an independent distributor. German made Bosch HE dishwasher, clothes washer and dryer. Dual central A/C, Rheem-- its got union stamps too, not that it matters to me. Coffee maker was a gift, Taiwanese, 10 years old and still kicking. Though, I also use an Italian press and grinder, using a German-made Braun hot water maker. Had them for years, not sure on the cost, probably hundreds, but once I spread it out over the years of use, its not so dramatic. I could go on and on...Kohler toilets and sinks-- american! Plus, I value them highly because they were built by craftsman, not some kids fresh out of the rice-paddies. To me, value trumps cost.

And for me, cost trumps all, because I don't have money. I certainly don't have money for high-end cookware. For me, anything that lowers the cost of living is a few bucks extra that I'll have per month, so maybe I could actually put money in my bank account, or god forbid, go out on a date with a girl. It's not crony capitalism, here. It's a company actually applying competitive markets, and trying to get the prices down. If the price drops at Wal-Mart, all the other chains will follow suit, rightfully fearing that they'd lose business to Wal-Mart. Right now, Wal-Mart gets me an extra $50 of food every month, and that's not savings I can afford to pass up.

This is honestly better all aorund if it works. We can't just keep raising prices all the time, it's grinding us poor people into the dirt.

logroller
03-30-2012, 03:29 PM
And for me, cost trumps all, because I don't have money. I certainly don't have money for high-end cookware. For me, anything that lowers the cost of living is a few bucks extra that I'll have per month, so maybe I could actually put money in my bank account, or god forbid, go out on a date with a girl. It's not crony capitalism, here. It's a company actually applying competitive markets, and trying to get the prices down. If the price drops at Wal-Mart, all the other chains will follow suit, rightfully fearing that they'd lose business to Wal-Mart. Right now, Wal-Mart gets me an extra $50 of food every month, and that's not savings I can afford to pass up.

This is honestly better all aorund if it works. We can't just keep raising prices all the time, it's grinding us poor people into the dirt.

How many pots and pans have you owned over the last 20 years? Say its 5 at $40...one copper saucepan-$200. Copper heats faster than aluminum, saving me $ in the long and short run. HE washers, same thing-- plus it saves me on detergent and dry time. Not that it matters when you're broke; but I can tell you I could have bought a regular washer and dryer for the cost of just my HE washer. All I had money for was the washer; so I bought that and hung my clothes to dry for a year and half until I could afford the dryer. I feel for ya brother; I do. TBH, half my cookware I inherited from family and friends that knew the value of such things being made to last and not made so cheap they could be replaced every few years. Its looking at it as an investment, not a consumable. Obviously, food is consumable but there is an investment interest in how its prepared and delivered. A farmer who buys an American tractor has a harder time than some megafarm who buys the cheapest tractors by the container load from China.
But what bothers me, and what I wish to communicate, is that the reason you don't have money is because companies like Walmart sell you on cheap by undermining your ability to earn. Its cyclical.

Abbey Marie
03-30-2012, 03:34 PM

I'm just happy to hear that people still go on dates. Have you talked to a college-aged kid recently?

logroller
03-30-2012, 03:44 PM
I'm just happy to hear that people still go on dates. Have you talked to a college-aged kid recently?

Sometimes. I've tried to explain to them you can like someone not on facebook.:laugh:

tailfins
03-30-2012, 04:36 PM
How many pots and pans have you owned over the last 20 years?

Hundreds! Only recently have we settled down. As a software consultant at an excellent hourly rate, one of the requirements was pick up and move with two weeks notice. It meant having a moving sale and giving the rest away. Georgia, then New Jersey, then Florida, then Nebraska: you get the idea. When you need to stock a household quickly with stuff you will have at most for two years, Walmart is hard to beat. If you can find an old school auction house, you can buy quality vintage furniture cheap. Otherwise, it's Wal-mart.

DragonStryk72
03-30-2012, 04:50 PM
How many pots and pans have you owned over the last 20 years? Say its 5 at $40...one copper saucepan-$200. Copper heats faster than aluminum, saving me $ in the long and short run. HE washers, same thing-- plus it saves me on detergent and dry time. Not that it matters when you're broke; but I can tell you I could have bought a regular washer and dryer for the cost of just my HE washer. All I had money for was the washer; so I bought that and hung my clothes to dry for a year and half until I could afford the dryer. I feel for ya brother; I do. TBH, half my cookware I inherited from family and friends that knew the value of such things being made to last and not made so cheap they could be replaced every few years. Its looking at it as an investment, not a consumable. Obviously, food is consumable but there is an investment interest in how its prepared and delivered. A farmer who buys an American tractor has a harder time than some megafarm who buys the cheapest tractors by the container load from China.
But what bothers me, and what I wish to communicate, is that the reason you don't have money is because companies like Walmart sell you on cheap by undermining your ability to earn. Its cyclical.

So I should forego any form of cooking until I can buy super-expensive pots and pans? Listen to what you are saying. I didn't buy the cheap stuff because I didn't realize there was better equipement out there. I buy the cheap things because I don't have the money for more expensive stuff, and that isn't Wal-Mart's fault.

You wanna talk about what's killed opportunity in the US? Maybe we should look at the tax system we have that punishes success, where you can get a raise and take home less (for example, my mom), but still lose eligibity for government help because you "make too much". Let's look at the continual raises in the minimum wage, which really only leads to a cost of living increase a couple months down the line.

Maybe if we didn't make it cheaper to ship around the curvature of the Earth than produce the same exact item two blocks from the store it would be sold in, or I don't know, put in tariffs that kept prices for US goods competitive we might see something happen, but until then, I really can't afford $200 for a single pan. Shit, I can't even afford $60 for a used XBOX.

logroller
03-30-2012, 05:39 PM
So I should forego any form of cooking until I can buy super-expensive pots and pans? Listen to what you are saying. I didn't buy the cheap stuff because I didn't realize there was better equipement out there. I buy the cheap things because I don't have the money for more expensive stuff, and that isn't Wal-Mart's fault.

You wanna talk about what's killed opportunity in the US? Maybe we should look at the tax system we have that punishes success, where you can get a raise and take home less (for example, my mom), but still lose eligibity for government help because you "make too much". Let's look at the continual raises in the minimum wage, which really only leads to a cost of living increase a couple months down the line.

Maybe if we didn't make it cheaper to ship around the curvature of the Earth than produce the same exact item two blocks from the store it would be sold in, or I don't know, put in tariffs that kept prices for US goods competitive we might see something happen, but until then, I really can't afford $200 for a single pan. Shit, I can't even afford $60 for a used XBOX.
I don't mean to offend your sensibility; but you can shop yard sales for cheaper shit than Walmart; so spare me the I'd go hungry drama. What I'm talking about is value added; Walmart undermines this. If you can't see the forest for the trees; Walmart would be happy to clearcut a view- guaranteed low price for lumber.

tailfins
03-30-2012, 06:28 PM
I don't mean to offend your sensibility; but you can shop yard sales for cheaper shit than Walmart; so spare me the I'd go hungry drama. What I'm talking about is value added; Walmart undermines this. If you can't see the forest for the trees; Walmart would be happy to clearcut a view- guaranteed low price for lumber.

It seems that you haven't been garage saling lately. People are trying to squeeze the last nickel out of their stuff with this recession. People even try to get money for broken stuff. Furthermore, by 7AM seeing a dozen vultures waiting for the sale to open is common these days. Walmart has quality items, you just have to look for them.

logroller
03-30-2012, 07:01 PM
It seems that you haven't been garage saling lately. People are trying to squeeze the last nickel out of their stuff with this recession. People even try to get money for broken stuff. Furthermore, by 7AM seeing a dozen vultures waiting for the sale to open is common these days. Walmart has quality items, you just have to look for them.
I'm out at five, not seven. I find deals. Last week I got a trunk for $80; $200 at any store. It's a numbers game; gotta hit as many possible, focused on what you're looking for. Plus, I shop for myself and tell the seller that. What pisses me off as a seller are the dealers; constantly hounding on price, or combining items. I've found some gems though, just gotta be patient; half the fun is the hunt. The only thing I buy at Walmart is ammo!

sundaydriver
03-30-2012, 07:13 PM
I've been to Walmart a few times since the first one opened in my area ~10 years ago but not in several years. Although like everyone else I see the low prices but to me the business concept has poor value and a lot of hidden costs for their customers. Sure Wal Mart is cutting grocery costs hoping to entice customers to the other areas of the store where the real money is.

One hidden cost to me is that others must follow the Walmart business plan and sell items for a low cost by forcing the manufactures to produce products as cheaply as possible. Most of my cookware is 30 to 40 years old because I bought quality. I recently bought a medium priced non stick pan of todays medium quality. The handle loosened after the second use and turns out one hole was stripped when drilled. Replaced it in a month. An extension light that I bought when my 20 year old light died shorted out with 6 months. I don't like that due to the competition of stores I can only buy junk and buy it multiple times instead of once or twice a lifetime which is long term much cheaper.

The real cost is the local businesses that closed. REAL hardware store that could sell you anything, repair electronics, and fix your vacuum. My two favorite butcher shops closed and now I have to drive 14 miles for good Italian sausage. That to me is not worth low prices when it costs me more in the long term.

gabosaurus
03-30-2012, 08:25 PM
I would never buy groceries at Wal Mart. Especially WM brands. Their food is the lowest common denominator. Especially the frozen/ refrigerated stuff. Which often sits outside a store for several hours waiting to be loaded in.

My sister, who is certainly not wealthy, will never shop at a chain store. She only patronizes businesses near her home in East Los Angeles. I am sure it costs more. But she gets newly cut meat from the butcher and fresh vegetables. She buys on credit and pays at the end of the month. Stuff only neighborhood stores will do.

Mr. P
03-30-2012, 11:22 PM
I've been to Walmart a few times since the first one opened in my area ~10 years ago but not in several years. Although like everyone else I see the low prices but to me the business concept has poor value and a lot of hidden costs for their customers. Sure Wal Mart is cutting grocery costs hoping to entice customers to the other areas of the store where the real money is.

One hidden cost to me is that others must follow the Walmart business plan and sell items for a low cost by forcing the manufactures to produce products as cheaply as possible. Most of my cookware is 30 to 40 years old because I bought quality. I recently bought a medium priced non stick pan of todays medium quality. The handle loosened after the second use and turns out one hole was stripped when drilled. Replaced it in a month. An extension light that I bought when my 20 year old light died shorted out with 6 months. I don't like that due to the competition of stores I can only buy junk and buy it multiple times instead of once or twice a lifetime which is long term much cheaper.

The real cost is the local businesses that closed. REAL hardware store that could sell you anything, repair electronics, and fix your vacuum. My two favorite butcher shops closed and now I have to drive 14 miles for good Italian sausage. That to me is not worth low prices when it costs me more in the long term.

Buy a meat grinder from Walmart and make yer own sausage. Just sayin

DragonStryk72
03-31-2012, 02:03 AM

Sure, and much of that stuff is broken, or otherwise near the end of its lifeline. I don't know of many yard sales that sell food, or that operate year round, log. So what's my option there? Pay more so I can get less? Oh thanks, that'll certainly help me out.

You act like Wal-Mart is the problem, and it isn't. The system that's crushing us is the problem, and WM is just as much trapped by it as we are.

As for Wal-Mart food quality, yes, they sit on trucks while they're offloaded, refrigerated trucks for cold goods, which act just like the freezers in every grocery store in the country. As well, they have regular prices for brand name goods as well. Tyson chicken at Wal-Mart is the same Tyson Chicken at every other place I've gone.

logroller
03-31-2012, 05:08 AM
Sure, and much of that stuff is broken, or otherwise near the end of its lifeline. I don't know of many yard sales that sell food, or that operate year round, log. So what's my option there? Pay more so I can get less? Oh thanks, that'll certainly help me out.

You act like Wal-Mart is the problem, and it isn't. The system that's crushing us is the problem, and WM is just as much trapped by it as we are.

As for Wal-Mart food quality, yes, they sit on trucks while they're offloaded, refrigerated trucks for cold goods, which act just like the freezers in every grocery store in the country. As well, they have regular prices for brand name goods as well. Tyson chicken at Wal-Mart is the same Tyson Chicken at every other place I've gone.
Then fix it; I've been talking this whole time about value; sometimes it's added. I've fed afamily of five on 65$/wk-- I feel your pain, I do. But Tyson chicken is integral into the Walmart program; you're buying it hook line and sinker. I've raised my own chickens, harvested eggs and they were like pets. But I slaughtered them when it came time to feed my family. You think it's easy to see my daughter cry because I killed her pet? It's not, but that's a lesson in values. So I know what it takes to make ends meet; I just have a different set of values. Godspeed ds72, I hope you find value in your cost-cutting.
check out WMT stock and see if their earnings match yours over the last five years.

Shadow
03-31-2012, 09:28 AM
Then fix it; I've been talking this whole time about value; sometimes it's added. I've fed afamily of five on 65$/wk-- I feel your pain, I do. But Tyson chicken is integral into the Walmart program; you're buying it hook line and sinker. I've raised my own chickens, harvested eggs and they were like pets. But I slaughtered them when it came time to feed my family. You think it's easy to see my daughter cry because I killed her pet? It's not, but that's a lesson in values. So I know what it takes to make ends meet; I just have a different set of values. Godspeed ds72, I hope you find value in your cost-cutting.
check out WMT stock and see if their earnings match yours over the last five years.

Raising your own animals to butcher is not as easy as it sounds. Takes lots of space and time. Not everyone is equiped or set up to do that. I have enough to worry about with working full time,and raising two kids all by myself. The last thing I would need to add to my situation is worrying about weather or not the neighboorhood dogs have gotten in the rabbitt or chicken pens and mauled them to death. And I'm pretty sure I just dont have the time or resources to buy broken household items to fix them up either. Some things are just not practical for everyone.

Shadow
03-31-2012, 09:33 AM

I agree...Walmart sells all the very same name brands the other stores do right along with their store brands (just like every other grocery or chain store there is)...Albertsons,Smiths,Target,Kmart,whole Foods etc...all do it.

Walmart...just tends to be cheaper and if they aren't they will price match..not sure why providing that service to families who appreciate it and need it is so horrible.

DragonStryk72
03-31-2012, 11:01 AM

Where do you think I live, log? I live in Albany, NY. I'm happy you're living in a place where you have that kind of room, but I have an apartment, and can't have pets, so where are these chickens going? I can't have a garden, either, to cover that before your suggestion I start growing my own crops. It's great you have these options, really it is, but I don't log. My option is this "How many days of the month do I want to eat?", and if I want that answer to be "all of them", I have to cut costs where I can. I suppose I could let myself get fired, get on welfare and game the system, but I had this insane thing called a work ethic.

No, the difference is you're not poor, I am. Tyson chicken is sold in every grocery in the country pretty much, and they aren't all owned by Wal-Mart, so apparently all grocery stores have the same evil master plan to make me shop there. You're not proving any of the points, however, you just keep treating Wal-Mart more and more like a Captain Planet villain. It's a company, like every other company in the country. Yeah, they're out to make money, that's the point of business, and big companies make more money. The same Wal-Mart that you're complaining about is the same one that donates to all the local food pantries here, but of course, they can't do anything out of a sense of charity, so you'll write it off somehow. I mean, if they're not actually moustache-twirling supervillains, then we might have to conclude that it's made up of people.

tailfins
03-31-2012, 11:31 AM
Where do you think I live, log? I live in Albany, NY. I'm happy you're living in a place where you have that kind of room, but I have an apartment, and can't have pets, so where are these chickens going? I can't have a garden, either, to cover that before your suggestion I start growing my own crops. It's great you have these options, really it is, but I don't log. My option is this "How many days of the month do I want to eat?", and if I want that answer to be "all of them", I have to cut costs where I can. I suppose I could let myself get fired, get on welfare and game the system, but I had this insane thing called a work ethic.

No, the difference is you're not poor, I am. Tyson chicken is sold in every grocery in the country pretty much, and they aren't all owned by Wal-Mart, so apparently all grocery stores have the same evil master plan to make me shop there. You're not proving any of the points, however, you just keep treating Wal-Mart more and more like a Captain Planet villain. It's a company, like every other company in the country. Yeah, they're out to make money, that's the point of business, and big companies make more money. The same Wal-Mart that you're complaining about is the same one that donates to all the local food pantries here, but of course, they can't do anything out of a sense of charity, so you'll write it off somehow. I mean, if they're not actually moustache-twirling supervillains, then we might have to conclude that it's made up of people.

Albany is a tough place to live if you don't work for NYS. Where I live, if they saw a chicken in your yard, they would practically send in a SWAT team. The nearest affordable supermarket is a Market Basket 18 miles away. Fill your car at Whole Foods, Shaws, Wegmans, etc. and see how much you've spent. People around here think their s@#t doesn't stink because they spend a fortune on groceries. I just don't see any sense in turning a $900 monthly grocery bill into $1,600. $700 per month adds up really quick. The corner hardware store is DOUBLE in price for a comparable quality item at a NH Wal-mart. The trick is not to buy the cheapest at Wal-mart. Check reviews for the model number before you buy.

I have a question for logroller: How many six figure jobs are with walking distance from your home?

krisy
03-31-2012, 12:03 PM
I for one cannot afford meat at the butcher.I would like to,but can't. I shop at Wal Mart for some things,but not real often because I hate the environment. Long lines and rude employees. I still like them as a store tho because of their prices.

I ususally end up at Kroger because I build up fuel points on my shopping card. I get what's on sale and that's how we do it. For most people,just getting food in the house for the week is their only concern. The relief that some people feel seeing food in the fridge for their kids is worth going to Wal Mart.

Little-Acorn
03-31-2012, 06:49 PM
Government interference is even making it hard for MY business here in MN--oh the stories I could tell you just from the past 3 months alone!!!

Pray, tell!

KitchenKitten99
04-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Pray, tell!

I would hijack the thread with 3 pages of bullshit we have gotten just from the MN Dept of Revenue! The IRS seems to be leaving us alone for the most part. I could start another thread so I don't hijack this one.

logroller
04-02-2012, 04:10 PM

There's a coop in Albany--http://www.hwfc.com/index.html

I'll make you shopping list--What's your weekly food budget?

Albany is a tough place to live if you don't work for NYS. Where I live, if they saw a chicken in your yard, they would practically send in a SWAT team. The nearest affordable supermarket is a Market Basket 18 miles away. Fill your car at Whole Foods, Shaws, Wegmans, etc. and see how much you've spent. People around here think their s@#t doesn't stink because they spend a fortune on groceries. I just don't see any sense in turning a $900 monthly grocery bill into $1,600. $700 per month adds up really quick. The corner hardware store is DOUBLE in price for a comparable quality item at a NH Wal-mart. The trick is not to buy the cheapest at Wal-mart. Check reviews for the model number before you buy.

I have a question for logroller: How many six figure jobs are with walking distance from your home?

I don't know anyone with a six-figure income; how many places in the US require a six-figure income to survive?

logroller
04-02-2012, 04:51 PM
I agree...Walmart sells all the very same name brands the other stores do right along with their store brands (just like every other grocery or chain store there is)...Albertsons,Smiths,Target,Kmart,whole Foods etc...all do it.

Walmart...just tends to be cheaper and if they aren't they will price match..not sure why providing that service to families who appreciate it and need it is so horrible.

I don't think providing social security and welfare was all that horrible to begin with either; people were hurting (worse than now quite frankly)and it helped... they appreciated it. There were some undesirable long-term consequences though. How is it that Walmart keeps their prices so low and continues to make a profit? More to the point, do you care to know? That walmart (and others) move into an area and use their economic might to low-ball competitors, driving them out of business; generational family businesses, with rich community ties, CLOSED forever. It echos across the country...all in the name of low prices. Perhaps I overemphasize certain values; but to me, Americans have been undervaluing one another. I see a bag of chicken and I wonder, where did this come from? Who made it? There's a story, a human story behind things we buy. I value those people more than the price. IS that so horrible?