PDA

View Full Version : Is it just the people I know that do this?

KitchenKitten99
03-30-2012, 02:24 PM
Or is this common for those in the age brackets of 55 & up?

I am talking about forwarding emails of all kinds, mostly the ones that end up being debunked on Snopes.com.

Seriously.

BOTH my grandmas do this. They are both about the same age, and have NEVER met. They live 1200 miles apart. Yet they seem to think it is a required thing to forward every chain email they get. From the mis-stated facts to doctored photos, to tear-jerker sob stories to drum up anger about something that isn't even 100% true and the like.

My friend's husband does this too, but he is also 56 yrs old (she's late 40's).

And other relatives I know that are over 55 do this! I get about 8-10 emails a day just from the combination of these people forwarding what I consider junk mail.

My dad sometimes forwards stuff, but rarely. Most of my same-age friends do this sparingly, if at all.

I almost never read them (though if a title catches my attention, i might) and just delete them. I don't tell them this of course, because I also see it as a positive sign that my grandmas are in good health and nothing is wrong.

I am just curious to know if this habit is more than just my circle of friends/family?

logroller
03-30-2012, 02:49 PM
Well, my friends and family know not to send me crap; but from time to time they'll share it with me in person. Once there was some list of dumbass statements attributable to Obama-- one of which I knew was Dan Quayle's (he had a lot). My buddy says "I thought it was funny"...I'm like ya, it was funny when Dan Quayle said it. Needless to say, most people think you can bring out some BS from 20 yrs ago and nobody will know the difference. Ignorance is contagious; knowledge is the cure.

Thunderknuckles
03-30-2012, 02:51 PM
You're not alone. I used to get a lot of crap like that from my older relatives. I always shot back with a snopes link or something similar till they finally got the point and started fact checking the crap before forwarding it. Rarely do I see anymore of those emails.

ConHog
03-30-2012, 02:59 PM
I hate fwd fwd emails. I don't care what they are , or who they are from. I blocked my mom from sending for emaling me that crap. She got back on and hasn't done it since.

SassyLady
04-01-2012, 02:35 AM
I think older people have less "security" on their computers and their computers get hijacked and mass emails are sent out.

At least that's what my FIL told me once.

I did the SNOPES thing and eventually I quit getting the forwarded emails.

Kathianne
04-01-2012, 12:21 PM
Or is this common for those in the age brackets of 55 & up?

I am talking about forwarding emails of all kinds, mostly the ones that end up being debunked on Snopes.com.

Seriously.

BOTH my grandmas do this. They are both about the same age, and have NEVER met. They live 1200 miles apart. Yet they seem to think it is a required thing to forward every chain email they get. From the mis-stated facts to doctored photos, to tear-jerker sob stories to drum up anger about something that isn't even 100% true and the like.

My friend's husband does this too, but he is also 56 yrs old (she's late 40's).

And other relatives I know that are over 55 do this! I get about 8-10 emails a day just from the combination of these people forwarding what I consider junk mail.

My dad sometimes forwards stuff, but rarely. Most of my same-age friends do this sparingly, if at all.

I almost never read them (though if a title catches my attention, i might) and just delete them. I don't tell them this of course, because I also see it as a positive sign that my grandmas are in good health and nothing is wrong.

I am just curious to know if this habit is more than just my circle of friends/family?

I've a couple friends 60 and up that do that, I asked them to stop. On the other hand, I've too many younger, (25-35) friends that send me stupid 'questionnaires,' on a regular basis. I asked them to remove me. ;)

Abbey Marie
04-02-2012, 10:55 AM
The people who send me chain-letter tripe are in their 40's.

gabosaurus
04-03-2012, 01:41 PM
Anyone who sends me a forward gets any further messages directed to my spam file.

jimnyc
04-03-2012, 01:56 PM
My sister forwards me a lot of this crap, she's 47 now I think? But she's legally retarded I think. She believes anything. Good heart though, God gave her too much heart and too little brain. Anyway, yeah, she forwards me all that crap about how if you don't forward it you'll have bad luck, and every little kid throughout the world who is gonna die if we don't forward it to make money to save him. She still thinks people she's never heard of from 3rd world countries have money for her too, even though she, nor anyone in her family history, has been within 3,000 miles of these places.

I hate to pick on her when she's not here, but it's funny as hell! She was at a restaurant once and she read a portion of the menu out loud "whores dee oovrees"! Which of course was "hors d'oeuvres"

sundaydriver
04-03-2012, 07:51 PM
I've been lucky and only had an issue with one friend that would not take NO for an answer when I repeatedly asked her to please take me of her list of what she thought were cute or funny messages that she forwarded from a million other people. My 82 year old neighbor wintering in Florida does sends me these which I like & watch.

http://sorisomail.com/partilha/188658.html

KitchenKitten99
04-07-2012, 01:22 AM
I hate to pick on her when she's not here, but it's funny as hell! She was at a restaurant once and she read a portion of the menu out loud "whores dee oovrees"! Which of course was "hors d'oeuvres"

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

I don't know if I would laugh and correct her politely or be totally embarrassed and think 'You must be adopted', lol...

Granted my youngest sister is kinda like that.

Quick story:

Back when my ex and I were still together, we asked my youngest sister, about 15 at the time, to babysit our kids. My oldest, Nathan, was about 3 and youngest, Ben, about 7 months old.

We had told her that when both were ready for bed, Nathan was allowed 1 cup of milk before bed, and Ben would get a bottle of formula with a little cereal mixed in. She knew how to mix the formula but not cereal, and I said just to add a scoop or two of the cereal & shake it up, which helps him sleep.

Anyway, my ex and I go out, come back, etc. Nathan is in bed, but Ben is up and wide awake. My sister said he just didn't seem to want to go to sleep. He wasn't cranky, just wanted to play still. Very odd to me but ok, I will see if I can get him to sleep. I paid her and she headed home (my mom lived only a couple blocks away).

Meanwhile I was trying to get Ben to go to sleep, yet I couldn't figure out why he was wide awake. I then sat down on the couch where I saw his bottle that she fed him. It was a little too colorful inside...she had indeed, put cereal in his bottle. But not rice cereal. She had actually put Froot Loops in his bottle. My little guy was high on sugar, thus not wanting to sleep! :laugh: I told my sister the next day the mistake she made. I wasn't mean about it, I was actually trying not to laugh too hard. For a while after that, her nickname in the family was Froot Loop.

Gator Monroe
04-07-2012, 12:27 PM
Some of my best ammunition comes thru forwards (& I pass them to the needy)

jimnyc
04-07-2012, 02:56 PM
I've been lucky and only had an issue with one friend that would not take NO for an answer when I repeatedly asked her to please take me of her list of what she thought were cute or funny messages that she forwarded from a million other people. My 82 year old neighbor wintering in Florida does sends me these which I like & watch.

http://sorisomail.com/partilha/188658.html

OMG! That is one of the coolest videos ever! You just made my wife cry! LOL Now I can laugh and make fun of her. :lol:

jimnyc
04-07-2012, 02:59 PM
:lmao::lmao::lmao:

I don't know if I would laugh and correct her politely or be totally embarrassed and think 'You must be adopted', lol...

Granted my youngest sister is kinda like that.

Quick story:

Back when my ex and I were still together, we asked my youngest sister, about 15 at the time, to babysit our kids. My oldest, Nathan, was about 3 and youngest, Ben, about 7 months old.

We had told her that when both were ready for bed, Nathan was allowed 1 cup of milk before bed, and Ben would get a bottle of formula with a little cereal mixed in. She knew how to mix the formula but not cereal, and I said just to add a scoop or two of the cereal & shake it up, which helps him sleep.

Anyway, my ex and I go out, come back, etc. Nathan is in bed, but Ben is up and wide awake. My sister said he just didn't seem to want to go to sleep. He wasn't cranky, just wanted to play still. Very odd to me but ok, I will see if I can get him to sleep. I paid her and she headed home (my mom lived only a couple blocks away).

Meanwhile I was trying to get Ben to go to sleep, yet I couldn't figure out why he was wide awake. I then sat down on the couch where I saw his bottle that she fed him. It was a little too colorful inside...she had indeed, put cereal in his bottle. But not rice cereal. She had actually put Froot Loops in his bottle. My little guy was high on sugar, thus not wanting to sleep! :laugh: I told my sister the next day the mistake she made. I wasn't mean about it, I was actually trying not to laugh too hard. For a while after that, her nickname in the family was Froot Loop.

I would have given him Count Chocula! Turns the milk into chocolate milk, and then I would have sipped on whatever the little guy left behind. :laugh2: