PDA

View Full Version : 'Annoying, Offending' Language Online Would Be Crime Under Arizona Bill

jimnyc
04-03-2012, 04:35 PM
This is really getting ridiculous. Jail time for speaking your mind.

Distasteful comments and online insults are a mainstay of many social networks and online comment boards, but a new bill passed in Arizona could send people who "annoy or offend" to jail for up to six months.

House Bill 2549, which had bipartisan support, passed in the state's legislature and is awaiting one final vote on a minor "technical change" before the bill is sent to Gov. Jan Brewer.

The bill's sweeping language would severely inhibit First Amendment rights, David Horowitz, executive director of the Media Coalition in New York City, told ABCNews.com.

"Even in talk radio, saying 'I know this will offend my listeners' is a common practice. It's a tradition, speech that challenges the status quo," he said.

Horowitz said everything from Rush Limbaugh calling Sandra Fluke a "slut" on his radio show to Sen. Al Franken's book, "Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot" could be viewed as criminal acts if the bill becomes a law.

The bill states it would be a class one misdemeanor for anyone to "terrify, intimidate, threaten, harass, annoy or offend" through electronic and digital devices. It does not provide definitions of the terms and what would be considered annoying or offensive.

http://gma.yahoo.com/annoying-offending-language-online-crime-under-arizona-bill-171544046--abc-news-topstories.html

logroller
04-03-2012, 04:40 PM

http://gma.yahoo.com/annoying-offending-language-online-crime-under-arizona-bill-171544046--abc-news-topstories.html

If I was a lawyer specializing in constitutional law, I'd be all for this law...job security:thumb:

Noir
04-03-2012, 04:49 PM
As devils advocate - If i can't run down the street shouting "Nigger" at the top of my lungs, in what way is that different if spamming the internet with such things? Should not i be held accountable for saying offensive things online as i would on the street corner?

darin
04-03-2012, 05:03 PM
In america, as an american, you CAN use the word Nigger, shouting as you ran down the street. That's one reason we left the Empire, friend. :) We value FREEDOM.

We should start a faith group who considers 'The' a sin. Every use, brings offense. We could sue for millions.

ConHog
04-03-2012, 05:05 PM
As devils advocate - If i can't run down the street shouting "Nigger" at the top of my lungs, in what way is that different if spamming the internet with such things? Should not i be held accountable for saying offensive things online as i would on the street corner?

There is no law against running down the street yelling "nigger" at the top of your lungs anywhere in the US. Common sense and the fear of a nigger kicking your teeth in are all that stops you. :lol:

As for this law, I'm of mixed feeling. I DO believe that online bullying should be taken more seriously, but think this law is entirely too broad.

Noir
04-03-2012, 06:10 PM
There's no such thing as hate speech in american law?

Anton Chigurh
04-03-2012, 06:57 PM
I'm offended.

Trigg
04-03-2012, 07:34 PM

only if it's followed by a crime.

For instance if you're yelling nigg.. while beating a black guy it would be considered a hate crime.

However using the word while walking down the street, while you might want to glance around before saying it just to make sure none are around, is perfectly fine.

Freedom of speech

Noir
04-03-2012, 08:40 PM
only if it's followed by a crime.

For instance if you're yelling nigg.. while beating a black guy it would be considered a hate crime.

However using the word while walking down the street, while you might want to glance around before saying it just to make sure none are around, is perfectly fine.

Freedom of speech

Crazyness, so if i gather a group of people in the park and start telling them all how we should go burn out the homes of Jews, that's grand? Or that we should work together to kill the president etc?
Surly there is some level of hate speech/incitement to violence law?

Gator Monroe
04-03-2012, 08:55 PM

Not if the hate is directed at (Zionists/Jews/Israeli Jews) (Christians/Fundys/Catholics) (Conservatives/Republicans) (NRA/2A supporters) (Tea Partiers) ...

Shadow
04-03-2012, 09:05 PM

They have already broadened the statute in NM to include cyberstalking (electronic or digital devices). Here the laws include:two or more acts,on more than one occassion in which a stalker by any action,method,device or means,directly or indirectly or through third parties,follows,monitors,surveils,threatens or communicates to or about another person.

1st offense is a misdemeanor...2nd a fourth degree felony. The law may be too broad, in the case of AZ...but they need these laws IMO.

hjmick
04-03-2012, 09:29 PM
They have already broadened the statute in NM to include cyberstalking (electronic or digital devices). Here the laws include:two or more acts,on more than one occassion in which a stalker by any action,method,device or means,directly or indirectly or through third parties,follows,monitors,surveils,threatens or communicates to or about another person.

1st offense is a misdemeanor...2nd a fourth degree felony. The law may be too broad, in the case of AZ...but they need these laws IMO.

Yeah, but if NM enforces that law as effectively as they enforce their DWI laws, no one here need worry.

Shadow
04-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Yeah, but if NM enforces that law as effectively as they enforce their DWI laws, no one here need worry.

Could be...but I do know that there are a number of agencies that have established special stalking units with specialized staff...that do nothing but investigate these types of claims. With the popularity of social networking, cyberstalking cases have been reported more...leading to more jurisdictions cloning themselves after these types of agencies.

as with DWI offenders though...I'm sure the repeat offenders will learn all of the loop holes over time...that's true with most crimes.

DragonStryk72
04-03-2012, 09:46 PM

Um, well... you can, you're likely to take an ass beating for it, but you can do that here. that's not off the list. There is no law against it in America, in fact, our laws prevents the cops from stopping you from saying it. Now, if you're cutting off traffic, or endangering others in the process, then yeah, but that based on different, not free speech.

DragonStryk72
04-03-2012, 09:50 PM
Crazyness, so if i gather a group of people in the park and start telling them all how we should go burn out the homes of Jews, that's grand? Or that we should work together to kill the president etc?
Surly there is some level of hate speech/incitement to violence law?

Um, nope, that's completely different than the previous scenario you named, Noir. If you start gathering people together to incite them to commit crimes, then yes, you are in trouble. But simply saying the n-word is a far cry from KKK activities.

Dilloduck
04-03-2012, 11:25 PM
We're getting damn close to being ruled by our weakest link.

Good bye.

darin
04-04-2012, 04:48 AM

No, thank God. When that happens, there will be no place left on the planet to be free. :(

Dilloduck
04-04-2012, 09:42 AM
Do they not teach " sticks and stones-- " anymore in kindergarten ? Or even before that at home ? WTF ?

Thunderknuckles
04-04-2012, 10:03 AM
"terrify, intimidate, threaten, harass, annoy or offend"

I'm OK with making law out of the first 4 but the addition of "annoy and offend" is WAAAYYY to broad.

Specifically, to Noir: I'm sure we think of many examples of speech that we find highly offensive and would like to stop people from using but do you honestly support a law making it a crime to verbally offend someone? Do you have any idea what would result from opening that Pandora's Box?

This bill is an absolute disaster. I pray Jan Brewer has the wisdom to see it for what it is.

p.s. I see Muslims salivating over this thing. There is no other more easily offended people in the history of mankind.

Gaffer
04-04-2012, 10:48 AM
It's a totally unconstitutional law that the courts will throw out as soon as they try to enforce it.

Brewer strikes me as a sensible gov who won't sign this silly bill.

Trigg
04-04-2012, 11:45 AM

Why would you want there to be???

People say annoying and offensive things everyday, they shouldn't go to jail because of it unless they're inciting violence.

I'll try to find them, but there are two particular youtube videos. One is an english lady on a bus yelling about immigrants and another, I think in France, of a black guy yelling about colonization and his hatred for whites. Yes, they're annoying and offensive.......so what.

Wind Song
04-04-2012, 01:45 PM
I'm not sure this is the road to internet civility.

SassyLady
04-04-2012, 02:57 PM
The road to internet civility is to remove one's self from sites that annoy or offend. Unless, of course, one has bonded with the abusers and keeps coming back for more verbal abuse.

Missileman
04-04-2012, 05:22 PM

I find the law itself offensive...round up the bums who put it together and throw them in the clink.

Kathianne
04-04-2012, 05:26 PM

But one can shout 'Nigger' as long as one isn't putting someone's neck in a noose or slitting it. Ignorance has never been outlawed.

Wind Song
04-04-2012, 05:34 PM
The road to internet civility is to remove one's self from sites that annoy or offend. Unless, of course, one has bonded with the abusers and keeps coming back for more verbal abuse.
I completely agree. Don't post with jerks.

Gator Monroe
04-04-2012, 05:35 PM
I completely agree. Don't have anything to do with jerks.

Like the DU & Stormfront ! (We agree):clap:

Wind Song
04-04-2012, 06:24 PM
Jim would be illegal if he lived in Arizona? (jk, jimmy)

logroller
04-04-2012, 07:14 PM
But one can shout 'Nigger' as long as one isn't putting someone's neck in a noose or slitting it. Ignorance has never been outlawed.
LOL...it'd be an enforcement nightmare; hypocritical at worst, ironic at best. It reminds me of the song Coalition to ban coalitions. :laugh:

sundaydriver
04-04-2012, 07:29 PM
The DJ's on the radio this morning were talking about this. Some kid in the middle of the night tweeting about the use of the word fuck and it's usage is expelled from high school. Tweeting to no one, about no one, or anything so I had to look it up. How can a school district enforce a twitter message with "zero tolerance conduct codes" away from school, not during school hours, with nothing school related and not even directed at anyone?

http://abovethelaw.com/2012/03/why-the-f-was-this-high-school-student-expelled-for-tweeting-the-f-word/

Kathianne
04-04-2012, 07:35 PM
The DJ's on the radio this morning were talking about this. Some kid in the middle of the night tweeting about the use of the word fuck and it's usage is expelled from high school. Tweeting to no one, about no one, or anything so I had to look it up. How can a school district enforce a twitter message with "zero tolerance conduct codes" away from school, not during school hours, with nothing school related and not even directed at anyone?

http://abovethelaw.com/2012/03/why-the-f-was-this-high-school-student-expelled-for-tweeting-the-f-word/

Yep, which is the reason that most say that they can only police what comes off their own servers. It. is. a. nightmare.

Shadow
04-04-2012, 08:31 PM

If I understood this correctly I would imagine the same way employers can now fire you for comments made during off hours on your FB page.

Dilloduck
04-04-2012, 08:36 PM
employers can fire you for damn near anything---just another excuse to be "big brother" like.

logroller
04-04-2012, 10:13 PM
The tweet-
You have to be f***ing kidding me...
They should have reprimanded that student's English teacher too.

SassyLady
04-04-2012, 10:15 PM
employers can fire you for damn near anything---just another excuse to be "big brother" like.
CA - at will state...don't need reason.

fj1200
04-05-2012, 06:03 AM
CA - at will state...don't need reason.

CA recognizes every at-will exception known to man... and probably some that haven't been thought of yet.