PDA

View Full Version : Gay student sues to wear t-shirt

jimnyc
04-04-2012, 09:32 AM
He wants to wear a shirt that says "Jesus is not a homophobe".

"My" first thought is that it's a kid just wanting to draw attention to himself or his cause, neither of which should be done while in school. The question I have, is whether or not the school would allow other shirts that touch upon a "sexual nature", which is the reason they are denying him.

Schools in the past few years have denied students the right to wear certain USA things so as not to offend others. Well shit, if they can deny the US flag and such, I see no reason why kids should be able to advertise political situations or sexual gender supporting shirts. In fact, I think most schools should implement a policy where they deny shirts with writing, political messages and sexual messages. It's either that or institute uniforms everywhere.

The below link is just a video!

http://news.yahoo.com/video/cincinnatiwlwt-18191085/student-sues-to-wear-jesus-is-not-a-homophobe-shirt-28823305.html
(http://news.yahoo.com/video/cincinnatiwlwt-18191085/student-sues-to-wear-jesus-is-not-a-homophobe-shirt-28823305.html)

DragonStryk72
04-07-2012, 12:34 AM
You know, there is literally no one I've come across who is against Free Speech, everyone seems to be in favor of it... until. Maybe it's a kid wanting to wear a particular T-shirt, or someone's doing a protest, but all the sudden, we're like, "Um... yeah, no, that's just not cool at all."

Free Speech is either free or it isn't, unless it endangers the life of others. I understand schools not wanting people swearing, because let's face, they've got enough of an uphill battle on grammar these days without the swearing, without their kids swearing like Irish sailors from New York all day.

Now, the thing is I don't think we should always be protecting people from the consequences of speech like we do now. I mean, sure, you could walk into a black neighborhood wearing signboards that read "God hates niggers", but the ass-whupping you get is fucking earned there.

jimnyc
04-07-2012, 09:49 AM
I understand what you're saying, DS, but ones free speech is a little different while a student. For example, you can't start chanting or even talking out loud while a teacher is in the midst of a discussion. That's disruptive. You can't really curse in most schools without getting detention or suspension, or at least it depends on who hears your conduct. You aren't going to be allowed to carry around political banners or have protest signs and such against a political topic. There are tons of things that aren't allowed in schools that would normally be allowed elsewhere. That's the schools rules and guidelines that prevent such.

Any my point was, if schools are going to actively prevent the wearing of things that might upset Muslims, or Mexicans, or illegals or any other group - then they need to protect ALL groups or don't protect any at all. And quite frankly, I would rather they concentrate on giving the kids an education that spending time determining whether each and every shirt with a message is ok or not. I don't think kids should be going to school with "messages".

A high school simply isn't a place where you can scream that you have "freedom of speech" - because you don't, not in schools.

DragonStryk72
04-07-2012, 07:30 PM
I understand what you're saying, DS, but ones free speech is a little different while a student. For example, you can't start chanting or even talking out loud while a teacher is in the midst of a discussion. That's disruptive. You can't really curse in most schools without getting detention or suspension, or at least it depends on who hears your conduct. You aren't going to be allowed to carry around political banners or have protest signs and such against a political topic. There are tons of things that aren't allowed in schools that would normally be allowed elsewhere. That's the schools rules and guidelines that prevent such.

Any my point was, if schools are going to actively prevent the wearing of things that might upset Muslims, or Mexicans, or illegals or any other group - then they need to protect ALL groups or don't protect any at all. And quite frankly, I would rather they concentrate on giving the kids an education that spending time determining whether each and every shirt with a message is ok or not. I don't think kids should be going to school with "messages".

A high school simply isn't a place where you can scream that you have "freedom of speech" - because you don't, not in schools.

Yeah, but at the same time, the school's attempt to silence that speech has clearly backfired, since we're having this discussion. It would've been better to simply leave the shirt, since it wasn't going to directly instigate anything, rather than take the time to point it out, and give it greater effect.

logroller
04-08-2012, 04:37 AM
Yeah, but at the same time, the school's attempt to silence that speech has clearly backfired, since we're having this discussion. It would've been better to simply leave the shirt, since it wasn't going to directly instigate anything, rather than take the time to point it out, and give it greater effect.

My understanding is that such decisions are made based on whether the shirt would be disruptive of the learning environment, not silencing speech per se. That's not to say the media maelstrom couldn't disrupt the learning environment too, but IMHO the forum for discussion of gay rights is not the general student body of a high school...same would go for abortion. In isolated circumstances I could see some discussion, (health issues, like STDs or what not); but given the breadth of fundamental skills lacking among the general pop., it would seem other things demand more attention than the religious intolerance of homosexual orientation.