PDA

View Full Version : The White House responds to Jimmy Carter

nevadamedic
05-20-2007, 05:33 PM
CRAWFORD, Texas (AP) -- The nasty words between President Bush and former President Jimmy Carter continued Sunday.

In a biting rebuke to Carter calling the Bush administration the "worst in history," the White House on Sunday dismissed Carter as "increasingly irrelevant."

Carter was quoted Saturday in the Arkansas Democrat Gazette as saying "I think as far as the adverse impact on the nation around the world, this administration has been the worst in history." (Read full story)

The Georgia Democrat said Bush had overseen an "overt reversal of America's basic values" as expressed by previous administrations, including that of his own father, former President George H.W. Bush.

White House spokesman Tony Fratto shot back Sunday from Crawford, Texas, where Bush spent the weekend.

"I think it's sad that President Carter's reckless personal criticism is out there," said Fratto. "I think it's unfortunate. And I think he is proving to be increasingly irrelevant with these kinds of comments."

Carter was in Arkansas promoting "Sunday Mornings in Plains," a collection of weekly Bible lessons from his hometown of Plains, Georgia.

"Apparently, Sunday mornings in Plains for former President Carter includes hurling reckless accusations at your fellow man," said Amber Wilkerson, Republican National Committee spokeswoman.

She said it was hard to take Carter seriously because he also "challenged Ronald Reagan's strategy for the Cold War."

Carter: Blair is 'blind, subservient'
Carter's comments, which were published Saturday, were confirmed by his spokeswoman Deanna Congileo to The Associated Press on Saturday. She declined to elaborate.

Carter also said Saturday that Britain's support for the war in Iraq was a "major tragedy" for the world, as he criticized Tony Blair's unwavering support for President Bush.

Asked how he would judge Blair's support of Bush, Carter said: "Abominable. Loyal. Blind. Apparently subservient."

"And I think the almost undeviating support by Great Britain for the ill-advised policies of President Bush in Iraq have been a major tragedy for the world," Carter told British Broadcasting Corp. radio.

Blair was in Baghdad Saturday morning for what will be his last trip to Iraq as British prime minister. Last week, Blair announced that he would step down June 27, making way for treasury chief Gordon Brown.

The war in Iraq has been the defining foreign policy issue of Blair's premiership, and the decision to join the U.S.-led invasion was an unpopular one at home. So far, nearly 150 British service personnel have died in Iraq.

Carter told the BBC that Britain's support made it more difficult for critics of the war, and that things could have been different if Britain spoke out against the 2003 invasion.

"I can't say it would have made a definitive difference, but it would certainly have assuaged the problems that arose lately," said Carter, who was U.S. president from 1977 to 1981 and has been a critic of the war.

"One of the defenses of the Bush administration, in the American public and on a worldwide basis -- and it's not been successful in my opinion -- has been that, OK, we must be more correct in our actions than the world thinks because Great Britain is backing us.

"And so I think the combination of Bush and Blair giving their support to this tragedy in Iraq has strengthened the effort, and has made opposition less effective and has prolonged the war and increased the tragedy that has resulted."

Unprecedented criticism
It's not the first time Carter has criticized Britain. Last year, he said he was disappointed with "the apparent subservience" of the British government to Washington on issues such as Iraq and last summer's Israel-Hezbollah conflict.

The criticism of Bush from Carter, which a biographer says is unprecedented for the 39th president, also took aim at Bush's environmental policies and the administration's "quite disturbing" faith-based initiative funding.

Carter came down hard on the Iraq war.

"We now have endorsed the concept of pre-emptive war where we go to war with another nation militarily, even though our own security is not directly threatened, if we want to change the regime there or if we fear that some time in the future our security might be endangered," he said. "But that's been a radical departure from all previous administration policies."

Carter, who won a Nobel Peace Prize in 2002, criticized Bush for having "zero peace talks" in Israel. Carter also said the administration "abandoned or directly refuted" every negotiated nuclear arms agreement, as well as environmental efforts by other presidents.

Carter also offered a harsh assessment for the White House's Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives, which helped religious charities receive $2.15 billion in federal grants in fiscal year 2005 alone.

"The policy from the White House has been to allocate funds to religious institutions, even those that channel those funds exclusively to their own particular group of believers in a particular religion," Carter said.

"As a traditional Baptist, I've always believed in separation of church and state and honored that premise when I was president, and so have all other presidents, I might say, except this one."

Douglas Brinkley, a Tulane University presidential historian and Carter biographer, described Carter's comments as unprecedented.

"This is the most forceful denunciation President Carter has ever made about an American president," Brinkley said. "When you call somebody the worst president, that's volatile. Those are fighting words."

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

For the full story....... http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/05/20/carter.bush.ap/index.html

God this guy is such a damn tool.

stephanie
05-20-2007, 06:38 PM
Personally...I wouldn't of bothered with any response...

Not only was Jimmy the worst President, but he's proven himself to be the..worst former President...

:lame2:

nevadamedic
05-20-2007, 06:42 PM
Personally...I wouldn't of bothered with any response...

Not only was Jimmy the worst President, but he's proven himself to be the..worst former President...

:lame2:

:clap: Once again, you've proven yourself to be awesome :) His son Jack Carter just ran for Senate in our state against long time incumbent John Ensign. I didn't think it was possibly to find someone dumber then Jimmy but his son fills those shoes, the guy is a complete and utter moron, like father like son.

stephanie
05-20-2007, 06:53 PM
:clap: Once again, you've proven yourself to be awesome :) His son Jack Carter just ran for Senate in our state against long time incumbent John Ensign. I didn't think it was possibly to find someone dumber then Jimmy but his son fills those shoes, the guy is a complete and utter moron, like father like son.

I posted on him running...

As I pointed out in the article, I think his only platform was......Jimma is my daddy....

The guy was as dumb as a rock, and about as exciting as one also...:laugh2:

nevadamedic
05-20-2007, 06:56 PM
I posted on him running...

As I pointed out in the article, I think his only platform was......Jimma is my daddy....

The guy was as dumb as a rock, and about as exciting as one too...:laugh2:

I think running on the platform Jimmy was my daddy is what really killed him. I saw someone go up and talk to him at an event and told him that he is now a Republican and Jack asked why did you switch and the guy responded, because of your dad and what he did while he was in office :laugh2: That was the funniest thing I have ever seen.

5stringJeff
05-20-2007, 07:01 PM
"I think it's sad that President Carter's reckless personal criticism is out there," said Fratto. "I think it's unfortunate. And I think he is proving to be increasingly irrelevant with these kinds of comments."

PWN3D

nevadamedic
05-20-2007, 07:05 PM
PWN3D

Huh?

5stringJeff
05-20-2007, 07:13 PM
Huh?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pwn3d

nevadamedic
05-20-2007, 07:48 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pwn3d

Still confused.

5stringJeff
05-20-2007, 08:00 PM
Still confused.

Think of it as another way of saying "in your face" or words to that effect. In other words, Bush calling Carter irrelevant was a total slam to Carter which he will likely not be able to rebut.

nevadamedic
05-20-2007, 08:02 PM
Think of it as another way of saying "in your face" or words to that effect. In other words, Bush calling Carter irrelevant was a total slam to Carter which he will likely not be able to rebut.

Oh, ok, but Carter is to stupid to realize theat he is not able to rebut it.:laugh2:

-Cp
05-20-2007, 10:20 PM
Still confused.

Think of it as a bastardization of the English language that some folks have, unfortunately, picked up on and think it's cool to say...

It was started by the same retards who started the l33t h4x0rZ sp34k...

nevadamedic
05-20-2007, 10:26 PM
Think of it as a bastardization of the English language that some folks have, unfortunately, picked up on and think it's cool to say...

It was started by the same retards who started the l33t h4x0rZ sp34k...

Hmmmmmmmmmm

loosecannon
05-20-2007, 10:29 PM
CRAWFORD, Texas (AP) -- The nasty words between President Bush and former President Jimmy Carter continued Sunday.

Carter was absolutely spot on.

Bush is a mega disaster as pres.

Carter was a bad pres, but the MOST moral and honest pres in the last 60 years.

Bush is the worst of all worlds: immoral, dishonest, unqualified, a failure in his policies, a poor delegator, rigid, un sophisticated in his approach, all poliliticization no governance.

Defending Bush is a hallmark trait of the delusional and brainwashed.

nevadamedic
05-20-2007, 10:32 PM

Bush is the worst of all worlds: immoral, dishonest, unqualified, a failure in his policies, a poor delegator, rigid, un sophisticated in his approach, all poliliticization no governance.

Carter moral???????? :laugh2: Thank's I needed a good laugh tonight.

Hobbit
05-20-2007, 10:33 PM
Still confused.

Allow me to explain, as I was practically there for the birth of this...expression.

It started during first person shooters (e.g. Doom, Half-Life). If you just totally defeated somebody without there ever being even the illusion of them having a chance, you might say you 'owned' them. That person was yours, and since you beat him so bad, the expression pretty much meant that he was only ever alive because you allowed it.

Well, first-person shooters are fast-paced and don't leave much time for typing, so the taunting player would rapidly type 'owned.' Well, look at the keyboard. Just to the left of the 'o' key is the 'p' key, so 'pwned' was a common typo, so common, in fact, that it became the superlative form of 'owned,' showing more emphasis and denoting especially vicious 'ownage.'

stephanie
05-20-2007, 10:35 PM

Bush is the worst of all worlds: immoral, dishonest, unqualified, a failure in his policies, a poor delegator, rigid, unsophisticated in his approach, all politicization no governance.

Hummmmmm.I didn't see anyone defending President Bush in the thread...
Especially, since the thread is about Jimma Carter
Oh..Well..:poke:

nevadamedic
05-20-2007, 10:38 PM
Allow me to explain, as I was practically there for the birth of this...expression.

It started during first person shooters (e.g. Doom, Half-Life). If you just totally defeated somebody without there ever being even the illusion of them having a chance, you might say you 'owned' them. That person was yours, and since you beat him so bad, the expression pretty much meant that he was only ever alive because you allowed it.

Well, first-person shooters are fast-paced and don't leave much time for typing, so the taunting player would rapidly type 'owned.' Well, look at the keyboard. Just to the left of the 'o' key is the 'p' key, so 'pwned' was a common typo, so common, in fact, that it became the superlative form of 'owned,' showing more emphasis and denoting especially vicious 'ownage.'

Oh, ok thanks.

nevadamedic
05-20-2007, 10:39 PM
Especially since the thread is Jimma Carter

No need to defent President Bush, he can hold his own against Carter, hell my 9 year old daughter could hold her own against Carter.

loosecannon
05-20-2007, 11:31 PM

Sorry NM, But Carter IS as moral as any pres in the last many decades.

He weren't much of a pres, but he was honest and moral as a chior boy.

loosecannon
05-20-2007, 11:33 PM
No need to defent President Bush, he can hold his own against Carter, hell my 9 year old daughter could hold her own against Carter.

On his record Bush can't hold his own against his own shadow. That boy is a born loser!

loosecannon
05-20-2007, 11:34 PM

Forgive me Steph, until that fuck up is outta office every post is a Bush bash.

It is the right thing to do!!!!

nevadamedic
05-20-2007, 11:35 PM
On his record Bush can't hold his own against his own shadow. That boy is a born loser!

Show some respect for our President.

Joe Steel
05-21-2007, 05:28 AM

Bush is so far beyond help, he's irrelevant. Most just ignore him.

loosecannon
05-21-2007, 06:19 AM
Show some respect for our President.

Sorry but Bush is disgracing the office and the nation.

Bulldog
05-21-2007, 06:50 AM
CRAWFORD, Texas (AP) -- The nasty words between President Bush and former President Jimmy Carter continued (on) Sunday.

Carter was quoted (on) Saturday in the Arkansas Democrat Gazette as saying "I think as far as the adverse impact on the nation around the world, this administration has been the worst in history."

He's only saying what the rest of the civilised world is thinking.

Bulldog.

Joe Steel
05-21-2007, 07:00 AM
He's only saying what the rest of the civilised world is thinking.

Bulldog.

Exactly.

Not even the most credulous Bush fan can believe he's anything but a total failure.

5stringJeff
05-21-2007, 08:44 AM
Exactly.

Not even the most credulous Bush fan can believe he's anything but a total failure.

Have you seen the economy lately? You call that a failure?

Doniston
05-21-2007, 11:22 AM

Defending Bush is a hallmark trait of the delusional and brainwashed. What I thought was funny was the use of the word irrelevant. Apparently the White House doesn't use a dictionary either.

Joe Steel
05-21-2007, 11:30 AM

Employment is just at or below the level of January 2001 when Bush took office and real wages are down.

What's good about that?

nevadamedic
05-21-2007, 11:55 AM
Sorry but Bush is disgracing the office and the nation.

That's your opinion. Clinton did a lot worse.

Mr. P
05-21-2007, 11:59 AM
I heard Carter back peddle on this comment...Out of context he said. Well out of context just fits him sooooo well these days. The IDIOT.

loosecannon
05-21-2007, 12:06 PM
That's your opinion. Clinton did a lot worse.

History will laugh long and loud and last at George W Bush

Clinton left office having been impeached and disbarred, but with a 66% public approval rating and loved the world over.

History will laugh at your post.

nevadamedic
05-21-2007, 12:09 PM
History will laugh long and loud and last at George W Bush

Clinton left office having been impeached and disbarred, but with a 66% public approval rating and loved the world over.

History will laugh at your post.

We have never had a popular war time President. You wat, President Bush will go down as one of the best Presidents in history.

Kathianne
05-21-2007, 12:12 PM
Employment is just at or below the level of January 2001 when Bush took office and real wages are down.

What's good about that?

A full point 'below.' 5.4 vs today's 4.4, I do believe that is way above significant.

I'm looking for more into on real wages, so far all I'm finding are drops of .01 and .02 that later come back and are corrected upwards.

loosecannon
05-21-2007, 12:15 PM
We have never had a popular war time President. You wat, President Bush will go down as one of the best Presidents in history.

FDR, he won

Lincoln, He won

Hagbard Celine
05-21-2007, 12:17 PM
You wat, President Bush will go down as one of the best Presidents in history.
Nope.

stephanie
05-21-2007, 12:50 PM
Nope.

No matter...

He sure won't beat Carter.........As the worst President...:coffee:

5stringJeff
05-21-2007, 02:01 PM

What's good about that?

3.1% average yearly growth in GDP

2.4% average yearly growth in disposable income (check www.bea.gov for these stats)

Jan 2001 unemployment: 4.2%; Apr 2007 unemployment: 4.5%. It's been below 5% since Dec 2005, just as it had been from May 1997 until 9/11/01.

This (http://www.bls.gov/webapps/legacy/cesbtab4.htm) shows that real wages are up 3.1% from Jan 2001 (check the constant dollars box).

So yeah, I think the economy is doing pretty good.

dan
05-21-2007, 02:17 PM
You can quote stats all you want, but the fact is, history books 50 years from now will only remember a useless war, massive social unrest, a major leap in gas prices, a horrifying social division between liberal and conservative, etc. I'm not saying it's right or not, but history books don't list the little tiny things that are going well, they encapsulate the overall feeling of the time. Ghengis Khan gave lots of people steady jobs as soldiers, that doesn't mean he's remembered as a humanitarian.

dan
05-21-2007, 02:18 PM
For the record, I think Jimmy Carter is a jackass, though not specifically because of this incident.

Hobbit
05-21-2007, 02:32 PM
You can quote stats all you want, but the fact is, history books 50 years from now will only remember a useless war, massive social unrest, a major leap in gas prices, a horrifying social division between liberal and conservative, etc. I'm not saying it's right or not, but history books don't list the little tiny things that are going well, they encapsulate the overall feeling of the time. Ghengis Khan gave lots of people steady jobs as soldiers, that doesn't mean he's remembered as a humanitarian.

Somehow, I don't think high gas prices will be in the history books. Even the 1970s crisis is little more than a footnote, and given inflation, prices were higher then, so high as to induce a government-enforced price cap and rationing.

I also don't think history will blame Bush for the liberal/conservative divide.

dan
05-21-2007, 03:27 PM
I'm not saying they'll blame Bush for any of it, just that that's what this particular time in history will be remembered for.

You may be right about gas prices. I'm a little cranky that I had to spend $30 for 2 days' worth of gas. On the other hand, I specifically remember studying the gas crisis of the 70's in the 9th or 10th grade.

Bulldog
05-21-2007, 03:33 PM
Apologies for going 'off-topic', but I'm from the UK and my fuel costs me almost exactly an hours wage per UK Gallon (4.55 Litres).

How does that compare with your wage/fuel prices, if you don't mind me asking?

Bulldog.

Kathianne
05-21-2007, 06:46 PM
FDR, he won

Lincoln, He won

Bush, he won.

nevadamedic
05-21-2007, 08:38 PM
Bush, he won.

:clap:

nevadamedic
05-21-2007, 08:40 PM
FDR, he won

Lincoln, He won

We wern't talking about Presidents who have won wars.

Kathianne
05-21-2007, 09:16 PM

Thanks!

nevadamedic
05-21-2007, 11:24 PM
No matter...

He sure won't beat Carter.........As the worst President...:coffee:

lily
05-22-2007, 12:31 AM

I'll tell you what........you bring some links to back up Carter's immorality and I'll give you a couple of those :clap: :clap: :clap: that you are so fond of.

lily
05-22-2007, 12:33 AM

That would work Jeff.......if Carter's comment was about domestic policy and not foreign.

nevadamedic
05-22-2007, 01:11 AM
I'll tell you what........you bring some links to back up Carter's immorality and I'll give you a couple of those :clap: :clap: :clap: that you are so fond of.

Jimmy Carter linked
to oil-for-food scam
Ex-president worked with key figure
in scandal combating Iraqi sanctions

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=42464

Ironically, Carter's moral stance and candour caused a small stir when, during the campaign, he admitted in an interview with Playboy magazine that he had “committed adultery in [his] heart many times and lusted for other women.

"I've looked on a lot of women with lust. I've committed adultery in my heart many times. This is something that God recognizes I will do—and I have done it —and God forgives me for it. But that doesn't mean that I condemn someone who not only looks on a woman with lust but who leaves his wife and shacks up with somebody out of wedlock."

Also someone with high morals would not do an interview with a smut magazine.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,918397,00.html

Two scandals also damaged Carter's credibility. In summer 1977 Bert Lance, the director of the Office of Management and Budget and one of Carter's closest friends, was accused of financial improprieties as a Georgia banker. When Carter stood by Lance (whom he eventually asked to resign and who later was acquitted of all charges), many questioned the president's vaunted scruples. Carter's image suffered again—though less—in summer 1980 when his younger brother, Billy (widely perceived as a buffoon), was accused of acting as an influence peddler for the Libyan government of Muammar al-Qaddafi. Senate investigators concluded that, while Billy had acted improperly, he had no real influence on the president.

http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9020545/Carter-Jimmy

Maybe Der Spiegel should have departed from the Bush-bashing questions and asked real questions of Jimmy, like what about the alleged million dollar contribution from the bin Laden family to your library? Or perhaps digging into his involvement with Saddam Hussein and the ''oil for food'' scam?
A great Article on the true Jimmy Carter.
http://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=51612

Joe Steel
05-22-2007, 06:38 AM
3.1% average yearly growth in GDP

All going to profits and not wages.

2.4% average yearly growth in disposable income (check www.bea.gov for these stats)

Averages do not necessarily mean increases to median income.

Jan 2001 unemployment: 4.2%; Apr 2007 unemployment: 4.5%. It's been below 5% since Dec 2005, just as it had been from May 1997 until 9/11/01.

Only because the participation rate is down. So many have just given-up looking for work, the unemployment rate looks good.

This (http://www.bls.gov/webapps/legacy/cesbtab4.htm) shows that real wages are up 3.1% from Jan 2001 (check the constant dollars box).

January 2001 is when Bush took office. BLS is comparing Bush to himself.

So yeah, I think the economy is doing pretty good.

Not when compared with the records of other administrations.

lily
05-22-2007, 02:14 PM
:salute:
[QUOTE=nevadamedic;63222]Jimmy Carter linked
to oil-for-food scam

You know I never heard of Carter being connected with the oil for food program and admit you had me stumped there for a rebuttal, so I had to do a little searching........odd the only article about this is the link you posted from World Net Daily and a re-print of it on Free Republic. So I guess that's enough said about that one.:tinfoil:

Ironically, Carter's moral stance and candour caused a small stir when, during the campaign, he admitted in an interview with Playboy magazine that he had “committed adultery in [his] heart many times and lusted for other women.

"I've looked on a lot of women with lust. I've committed adultery in my heart many times. This is something that God recognizes I will do—and I have done it —and God forgives me for it. But that doesn't mean that I condemn someone who not only looks on a woman with lust but who leaves his wife and shacks up with somebody out of wedlock."

WHEW! I thought you were going to go for "he lusted after women in his heart".......but instead you went for he gave an interview to Playboy? I'm sorry, the fact that you consider Playboy a smut magazine tells me how desperate you truly are!:laugh2:

Two scandals also damaged Carter's credibility. In summer 1977 Bert Lance, the director of the Office of Management and Budget and one of Carter's closest friends, was accused of financial improprieties as a Georgia banker. When Carter stood by Lance (whom he eventually asked to resign and who later was acquitted of all charges), many questioned the president's vaunted scruples. Carter's image suffered again—though less—in summer 1980 when his younger brother, Billy (widely perceived as a buffoon), was accused of acting as an influence peddler for the Libyan government of Muammar al-Qaddafi. Senate investigators concluded that, while Billy had acted improperly, he had no real influence on the president.

Why do you make it so easy on me? I don't even have to go to another article to refute what you are saying, it's right here in your article. So let me see.......standing by a friend who was accused of something he didn't do and having an idiot for a brother is now immoral? Sounds like Christian values to me!

Wanna try again? This is fun!

Doniston
05-22-2007, 02:47 PM
Jimmy Carter linked
to oil-for-food scam

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,918397,00.html

http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9020545/Carter-Jimmy

Maybe Der Spiegel should have departed from the Bush-bashing questions and asked real questions of Jimmy, like what about the alleged million dollar contribution from the bin Laden family to your library? Or perhaps digging into his involvement with Saddam Hussein and the ''oil for food'' scam?
A great Article on the true Jimmy Carter.
http://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=51612I dodn't think Carter was any great shakes as a president either. But morally he shakes out much better that either Da Srub, or Nixon. So I have to call "RUBBISH" to your whole post.

stephanie
05-22-2007, 03:07 PM
I could care less if Carter is almighty moral or anything else...

The man ought to go off and enjoy his retirement, and shut the hell up..

He'll never change the fact.......He is still....the worst President of the United States.....:coffee:

Joe Steel
05-22-2007, 03:32 PM
I could care less if Carter is almighty moral or anything else...

The man ought to go off and enjoy his retirement, and shut the hell up..

He'll never change the fact.......He is still....the worst President of the United States.....:coffee:

Not as long as anyone remembers Reagan or Bush2.

stephanie
05-22-2007, 03:41 PM
Not as long as anyone remembers Reagan or Bush2.

Pfeeeesh..Ya dream on..:laugh2: