PDA

View Full Version : Noir - need help with Apple!!

jimnyc
04-07-2012, 01:40 PM
Noir, or any other Apple geeks...

So my wife now has an Ipad 3. She goes to various sites for her job in real estate, and the sites barely load what she needs as they are Flash based. She clicks on link to install Flash plugin and the Adobe site states there is no plugin for the Ipad yet. If this is the case, how do you view Flash sites?

Also, on a page, there is a PDF document that you can click on to download, but of course that doesn't work either. Is there an easy way to get a PDF document off of the internet and onto the Ipad, for future viewing locally? I see there is a PDF reader app you can download...

She wants to be able to put like 20 PDF's on there for viewing when she needs it. How do you transfer documents back and forth to the device? On my Acer - I just plug the USB cable into my desktop, and it shows up like a HDD in my computer, then I just copy over whatever I need.

I'm sure she/me/we will have a billion questions, but for now it's just:

1) Viewing Flash based sites
2) Viewing PDF's on the fly, within browser I guess (and perhaps saving it from a site to your device)
3) Transferring files to device (I know you can transfer via Itunes, music and movies, but can you do other files from there too?)

Kathianne
04-07-2012, 01:52 PM
I'm wondering if the problem with macs and flash discussed this week,http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/253403/mac_malware_outbreak_is_bigger_than_conficker.html
has anything to do with finding info?

jimnyc
04-07-2012, 01:56 PM
I'm wondering if the problem with macs and flash discussed this week,http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/253403/mac_malware_outbreak_is_bigger_than_conficker.html
has anything to do with finding info?

I got a laugh out of that a couple of days ago, only because Apple users always laugh at us PC guys for being so vulnerable to viruses and such. It sounds like a small amount affected, but Apple makes up for only a small portion of the market - from that article:

According to current data from Net Applications, Mac OS X is the number two desktop OS with 6.54 percent market share. Windows, on the other hand, accounts for 92.48 percent of the market. Based on market share, the Flashback Trojan botnet is equivalent to a Windows botnet of nearly 8.5 million PCs. That makes it an even larger threat than Conficker--just on a much smaller platform.

Kathianne
04-07-2012, 02:03 PM
I got a laugh out of that a couple of days ago, only because Apple users always laugh at us PC guys for being so vulnerable to viruses and such. It sounds like a small amount affected, but Apple makes up for only a small portion of the market - from that article:

I love Apple anyways. ;) In any case, I'm just thinking that support might be a bit wary and worn out right about now.

Noir
04-07-2012, 02:04 PM
Noir, or any other Apple geeks...

So my wife now has an Ipad 3. She goes to various sites for her job in real estate, and the sites barely load what she needs as they are Flash based. She clicks on link to install Flash plugin and the Adobe site states there is no plugin for the Ipad yet. If this is the case, how do you view Flash sites?

Also, on a page, there is a PDF document that you can click on to download, but of course that doesn't work either. Is there an easy way to get a PDF document off of the internet and onto the Ipad, for future viewing locally? I see there is a PDF reader app you can download...

She wants to be able to put like 20 PDF's on there for viewing when she needs it. How do you transfer documents back and forth to the device? On my Acer - I just plug the USB cable into my desktop, and it shows up like a HDD in my computer, then I just copy over whatever I need.

I'm sure she/me/we will have a billion questions, but for now it's just:

1) Viewing Flash based sites
2) Viewing PDF's on the fly, within browser I guess (and perhaps saving it from a site to your device)
3) Transferring files to device (I know you can transfer via Itunes, music and movies, but can you do other files from there too?)

1- Mobile apple products (iPod, iPad, iPhone) can not view/play flash. This is b abuse apple say MObile Flash is clunky, slow, prone to crashing, and a battery sink. Apple will win this in the long run as the web moves to HTML5 as a standard, but for now it does cut off iMobile users from some of the Internet.

2- Has your wife downloaded iBooks? It's a free App that holds all your eBooks and PDF files, she should be able to copy them straight from the web to iBooks and then be able to view/edit/highlight etc them there. Once downloaded you do not need an Internet connection to view the PDFs.

3- while I have no needed to do it myself you should be able to access the iPad as a storage device from a device menu, alternatively I suggest DropBox as a free and easy way to access files from a cloud aslong as you are connected to the net - more details on what kind of files she wants to transfer?

jimnyc
04-07-2012, 02:08 PM
I love Apple anyways. ;) In any case, I'm just thinking that support might be a bit wary and worn out right about now.

Oh, without a doubt, but that's why we have Noir!

I kid, but I like Apple - to an extent. I love my Ipod, and used to love his Itouch but now I love the Ipad! I secretly have wanted an Iphone too... But I'm a PC guy!! :thumb:

jimnyc
04-07-2012, 02:14 PM
1- Mobile apple products (iPod, iPad, iPhone) can not view/play flash. This is b abuse apple say MObile Flash is clunky, slow, prone to crashing, and a battery sink. Apple will win this in the long run as the web moves to HTML5 as a standard, but for now it does cut off iMobile users from some of the Internet.

2- Has your wife downloaded iBooks? It's a free App that holds all your eBooks and PDF files, she should be able to copy them straight from the web to iBooks and then be able to view/edit/highlight etc them there. Once downloaded you do not need an Internet connection to view the PDFs.

3- while I have no needed to do it myself you should be able to access the iPad as a storage device from a device menu, alternatively I suggest DropBox as a free and easy way to access files from a cloud aslong as you are connected to the net - more details on what kind of files she wants to transfer?

1 - Kinda what I thought from my limited reading, but I figured it easiest to ask a Mac nut!

2 - No to ibooks, but I'll be discussing it with her as soon as I make this post!

3 - What is and how does dropbox work? She is continually going between many buildings in NYC as a real estate agent. Showing the property to potential clients often requires her to have access to certain info ASAP - this would be like PDF's, probably some MS Word documents... She gave me an example earlier - she went to her web based email on the device (I think they use outlook) and she opened an email that had a PDF attached, and wanted to save it for off-line use later, but I couldn't figure out how.

logroller
04-07-2012, 02:39 PM
Apple and flash don't co-mingle well. I believe its been a long-standing issue between adobe and apple, dating back to before apple started using intel-based processors and has at its core (no pun intended) issues of system stability regarding flash's high demand on system resources. The battle has been plagued by the tech giants' proprietary interests as well; wherein both are likely culprits. I think its on its way to being resolved; Adobe has recently suggested they will phase out flash in favor of HTML5, but it will take awhile. As for PDFs, I haven't had too many issues with that. PDFs load fine on my iOS devices.

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

logroller
04-07-2012, 02:42 PM
Oh, without a doubt, but that's why we have Noir!

I kid, but I like Apple - to an extent. I love my Ipod, and used to love his Itouch but now I love the Ipad! I secretly have wanted an Iphone too... But I'm a PC guy!! :thumb:

Jim's still in the iCloset.:laugh2:

jimnyc
04-07-2012, 02:50 PM
Noir...

Ok, wife installed Ibooks. It's empty, obviously. Now how do you put stuff in there? She opens her email, it has a PDF attached, can she save it and view it from in there at a later time? And what about PDF's from the 'net? I guess her main thing is being able to access these documents at times when the internet is not available. So while dropbox and places/apps like that are great, she would need to save it to the device somehow for later viewing.

And hell, at the same time as all of this, I am learning the Android system, which uses Google or Amazon as App stores. But Flash has an app for Android... And I can put all my files and such on a USB stick and read it directly from the stick. Or connect to my computer and transfer them that way, via "My computer".

jimnyc
04-07-2012, 02:54 PM
Apple and flash don't co-mingle well. I believe its been a long-standing issue between adobe and apple, dating back to before apple started using intel-based processors and has at its core (no pun intended) issues of system stability regarding flash's high demand on system resources. The battle has been plagued by the tech giants' proprietary interests as well; wherein both are likely culprits. I think its on its way to being resolved; Adobe has recently suggested they will phase out flash in favor of HTML5, but it will take awhile. As for PDFs, I haven't had too many issues with that. PDFs load fine on my iOS devices.

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

Yeah, the PDF's load fine on the Ipad - once you get them there. That's her issue, getting them onto the Ipad.

But I honestly was unaware that it wouldn't play nicely with Flash. Can you load XP on an Ipad? LOL A buddy of mine has an Imac or whatever the hell you call it, the one that is all in the monitor, and I set it up with dual boot for him, so that he could load the MacOS or WinXP. Damn, XP smokes on the Mac!! I was shocked at just how fast it was

logroller
04-07-2012, 03:38 PM
Yeah, the PDF's load fine on the Ipad - once you get them there. That's her issue, getting them onto the Ipad.

But I honestly was unaware that it wouldn't play nicely with Flash. Can you load XP on an Ipad? LOL A buddy of mine has an Imac or whatever the hell you call it, the one that is all in the monitor, and I set it up with dual boot for him, so that he could load the MacOS or WinXP. Damn, XP smokes on the Mac!! I was shocked at just how fast it was

Add to reading list, bookmark or add to homescreen. That or email to yourself, then open it. That, or I use an app called pdfprinter; it allows you to convert just about any doc (even web pages) into a pdf, store it, open it or, in my case, print it (as my wifi printer isn't recognized by iphone; but another app from Brother will print pdfs from my phone)

But yeah, apple hardware is smokin fast. Ever since the intel based processors came into apple's hardware, dual boots are possible. You really want to see fast, run Linux on one...I'm still working out the bugs on my PowerPC MacPro tower, setting it up as a server.. but so far its been world's faster than when I ran it under Apple's OS...but with that speed I sacrifice the dummy-proofing Apple gives, so I don't let anyone else use it. MINE.:laugh:

Noir
04-07-2012, 09:33 PM
Noir...

Ok, wife installed Ibooks. It's empty, obviously. Now how do you put stuff in there? She opens her email, it has a PDF attached, can she save it and view it from in there at a later time? And what about PDF's from the 'net? I guess her main thing is being able to access these documents at times when the internet is not available. So while dropbox and places/apps like that are great, she would need to save it to the device somehow for later viewing.

And hell, at the same time as all of this, I am learning the Android system, which uses Google or Amazon as App stores. But Flash has an app for Android... And I can put all my files and such on a USB stick and read it directly from the stick. Or connect to my computer and transfer them that way, via "My computer".

Mkay, forget dropbox, its not to your wifes needs.

As for the attached files to her mail, she should have to do nothing but download them to her mail, they will be automatically saved their for offline use.

i.e. When in work send e-mail with attachments to the email address the iPad mail client uses. Then while it has an internet connection open the mail client and view the attachment, that will then be saved to your iPad. When you want to view it again, even offline, just go back into the mail client and into the message, the attachment will be ready to read. She can then simply delete the e-mail when it's no longer required.

As for USB reading, i know you have to have a computer involved with an iPad, though i'm not sure about android tablets.

Noir
04-07-2012, 09:38 PM

Why in gawds name would anyone want XP on anything xD

butbut yeah i run an iMac with Windows 7 for gaming, and even though my mac is a 2009 model its stupidly fast, though i am thinking that during the Summer when the new Ivy Bridge quadcore iMacs come out of selling mine on for a few hundred and upgrading, but that's more just wanting the new-shinny than anything approaching actual need lol.