PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wallace, dead at 93

jimnyc
04-08-2012, 11:10 AM
At first, with a quick glance, I just saw "Mike Wallace dead". My heart skipped a beat. The Steelers best WR is Mike Wallace. Then I realized it also said "93". Am I horrible to say I felt a little relieved?

Mike Wallace, '60 Minutes' star interviewer, diesNEW YORK (AP) — Mike Wallace didn't interview people. He interrogated them. He cross-examined them. Sometimes he eviscerated them.

His reputation was so fearsome that it was often said that the scariest words in the English language were "Mike Wallace is here to see you."

Wallace, whose pitiless, prosecutorial style transformed television journalism and made "60 Minutes" compulsively watchable, died Saturday night at a care facility in New Canaan, Conn., where he had lived in recent years, CBS spokesman Kevin Tedesco said. He was 93.

Until he was slowed by heart surgery as he neared his 90th birthday in 2008, Wallace continued making news, doing "60 Minutes" interviews with such subjects as Jack Kevorkian and Roger Clemens. He had promised to still do occasional reports when he announced his retirement as a correspondent in 2006.

Wallace, whose career spanned 60 years, said then that he had long vowed to retire "when my toes turn up" and "they're just beginning to curl a trifle. ... It's become apparent to me that my eyes and ears, among other appurtenances, aren't quite what they used to be."

Among his later contributions, after bowing out as a regular, was a 2007 profile of GOP presidential hopeful Mitt Romney, and an interview with Kevorkian, the assisted suicide doctor released from prison in 2007 who died last year.

http://news.yahoo.com/mike-wallace-60-minutes-star-interviewer-dies-143725872.html