PDA

View Full Version : Spider venom could lead to breast cancer cure, say scientists

Shadow
04-09-2012, 08:56 AM
Australian scientists are studying spider venom with the hope it could hold the key to curing breast cancer.
James Cook University (JCU) Professor Norelle Daly has received a $205,000 research grant from the National Breast Cancer Foundation to analyze whether the venom of tarantulas and funnel web spiders can kill breast cancer cells.
"Spider venom could hold great potential," said the biochemist, who joined JCU last month. "This is early days and we're doing preliminary research that we hope will go somewhere."
Daly will test her theory in the lab by isolating the hundreds of molecules in spider venom and exposing them to cancer cells to see how they react.
She hopes the complex mix of molecules in the venom could offer a solution to breast cancer treatment.
"What we would hope to find is a molecule that looks promising in killing the cells," Daly said. "You would like to see that you could prevent the cancer from spreading and remove it as well."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/04/09/spider-venom-could-lead-to-breast-cancer-cure-say-scientists/#ixzz1rYFQtAEL

SassyLady
04-10-2012, 10:30 PM
As much as I hate to say it, I don't think this will go anywhere. The pharmaceutical companies don't want a cure for cancer. They are in the business of disease maintenance and symptom management.

​http://www.smashcancer.com/2010/09/08/big-pharma-doesnt-want-to-cure-cancer-or-any-other-diseases/

gabosaurus
04-11-2012, 12:52 AM
As long as they don't kill any unborn baby spiders, I am OK with this.

logroller
04-11-2012, 05:37 AM
$208,000...I really need to learn how to write grants; I've got this idea that regular breast massages are the key to breast cancer prevention.

fj1200
04-11-2012, 08:48 AM
As much as I hate to say it, I don't think this will go anywhere. The pharmaceutical companies don't want a cure for cancer. They are in the business of disease maintenance and symptom management.

It won't go anywhere because it's a shot in the dark not because someone would like to forgo billions of dollars in market cap that would come from a cancer cure.

gabosaurus
04-11-2012, 10:55 AM
$208,000...I really need to learn how to write grants; I've got this idea that regular breast massages are the key to breast cancer prevention.

This reminds me of a comment that came right after the shoe bomber was caught. The guy said "why couldn't they have found a bra bomber instead?" :p

PostmodernProphet
04-11-2012, 10:56 AM
we need to oppose this.....there can be only one Spiderman!......