PDA

View Full Version : Marine Crosses

CSM
04-13-2012, 06:40 AM
This was so short, I posted it in its entirety. It angers me that some atheist gets indignant over crosses so remote and hard to get to that most folks didn't even know they were there.

April 12, 2012 Crosses On Camp Pendleton

Special Report With Bret Baier (FNC), 6:00 PM

BRET BAIER: Our next story from California is about some pretty strong emotions: grief, patriotism, the embracing of faith and the freedom to live without faith. Throw in life and death and military honor and you have quite a situation. Here is correspondent Adam Housley

ADAM HOUSLEY: High atop a remote hill in the middle of California's Camp Pendleton Marine Corps Base sit two 13-foot crosses. Originally erected by Marines grieving over lives lost in the war on terror, this site originally established for reflection has become grounds for controversy.

KAREN MENDOZA [Marine Widow]: It’s not a religious spot at all. It’s a place for the Marines to grieve and to grow, to let go of their burdens of what they had in their soul, so they can go back down that hill and back into battle and put their own lives on the line.

HOUSLEY: Karen Mendoza’s husband Ray was one of seven Marines who originally planted a cross here, back in 2003. Of those original seven, three have since been killed in action, including Karen’s husband.

MENDOZA: It’s a symbol of sacrifice regardless of what you think, pray, like or don’t like.

HOUSLEY: But not everyone agrees and several atheist groups have filed complaints with the Marine Corps and threatened lawsuits arguing the crosses are a religious symbol and violate the separation of church and state.

JASON TORPY [Military Assn. Atheists and Free Thinkers]: This Christian cross needs to go to a private Christian installation. And we need to stick to things that honor everyone equally and maintain neutrality towards government.

HOUSLEY: Getting to the crosses is no easy task. Here you find symbols of valor, sorrow, and festivity. Rocks left by service members, widows, and children represent the burden and battle to make the 3,000-foot climb up this hill.

COLONEL NICHOLAS MARANO [U.S. Marine Corps]: It wasn’t intended to be a religious memorial. It was intended just to be able to provide a fitting and a dignified memorial to their fallen comrade.

HOUSLEY: For 10 years, the site has stood on these hills behind be without complaint. That changed last fall after a newspaper article detailed the location. Now, the groups opposed to the crosses say they’ll file a lawsuit if the commandant of the Marines doesn’t order the crosses removed. His decision could come any day.

At Camp Pendleton, California, Adam Housley, Fox News.

PostmodernProphet
04-13-2012, 07:08 AM
I wonder if any of the atheists threatening to file the law suit are Marines.....

Noir
04-13-2012, 07:23 AM
It's not a religious site, they just chose to use a religious symbol to mark it?

Ofcourse we'll have to see what the cross looks like, because a cross and a crucifix are not the same thing, but if it's a crucifix then it was a bit of a silly chose given its religious connotations. In the same way that it would be perfectly reasonable for them to of used the symbol of a swastika, to represent the undying memory of the dead, but likewise unwise given the Nazi connotations.

PostmodernProphet
04-13-2012, 09:56 AM
It's not a religious site, they just chose to use a religious symbol to mark it?

Ofcourse we'll have to see what the cross looks like, because a cross and a crucifix are not the same thing, but if it's a crucifix then it was a bit of a silly chose given its religious connotations. In the same way that it would be perfectly reasonable for them to of used the symbol of a swastika, to represent the undying memory of the dead, but likewise unwise given the Nazi connotations.

interesting......putting aside the fact that the key words in your quote were "they chose", I would like to concentrate on the fact you want to equate the cross with the swastika......do you somehow think that reference would make this lawsuit less onerous?.....certainly you could just as easily have substituted a comparison with fluffy bunnies or sunflowers.....

as an atheist, does it truly bother you that someone has built a memorial that requires a 3000 foot climb to approach, because it might be imposing itself upon casual observers?.....certainly any atheist who wants to could just as easily climb 3000 feet in a different direction to contemplate fluffy bunnies or swastikas of their own choosing......

cadet
04-13-2012, 12:30 PM
When did this country decide that it was okay to prosecute someone for believing what you want? you want to be buddist, go be buddist, you want to be atheist, go be atheist, you want to be christian, go be christian, you want to go pray to the gods of corn and potatoes, go do that.

i'll stay out of your business if you stay out of mine! dang-it, i thought this whole freaking country was founded on the freedom to do whatever the hell you want without someone saying you can't do that!

It's my freaking soap box! i get to yell what i want! and you don't have to listen if you don't want to!

SassyLady
04-13-2012, 11:56 PM

Have you seen pictures of Arlington Cemetary? Isn't that owned by government? I wouldn't put it past the asshole atheists to demand all those crosses be removed.

logroller
04-14-2012, 11:35 AM
Have you seen pictures of Arlington Cemetary? Isn't that owned by government? I wouldn't put it past the asshole atheists to demand all those crosses be removed.

I think Noir touched on a very much vilified minority segment of the population who wish to use swastikas, but can't due to nazi connotations....Some people just can't see the forest for the swastikas.