PDA

View Full Version : Job Search

Wind Song
04-13-2012, 01:07 PM
We have double digit unemployment where I live. I'm getting interviews though. Had one last week and one this week and I have another in two weeks.

Wish me luck!

jimnyc
04-13-2012, 01:12 PM
Good luck!!!

tailfins
04-13-2012, 03:17 PM
We have double digit unemployment where I live. I'm getting interviews though. Had one last week and one this week and I have another in two weeks.

Wish me luck!

DO NOT disclose your username to these on a political forum. Are you using Linked-In and Glassdoor? (Yes or No) Job searches are a different animal than even five years ago. You also need to show up where people congregate in your profession to get your resume "walked over" to the person that does the hiring decisions.

I wish you skill, not luck. Skill is better than luck.

Wind Song
04-13-2012, 03:20 PM
DO NOT disclose your username to these on a political forum. Are you using Linked-In and Glassdoor? (Yes or No) Job searches are a different animal than even five years ago. You also need to show up where people congregate in your profession to get your resume "walked over" to the person that does the hiring decisions.

I wouldn't dream of letting my username on ANY work related forum be known.

jimnyc
04-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Even Facebook. Many employers are asking potential employees their facebook usernames and links. Just tell them you don't use social sites. They will use these things against you, even if you think it's innocent things. Some employers I have heard were "demanding" this information. They have people hired who's entire jobs are to do backgrounds on people, which nowadays includes finding out about their "online lives".

That and make sure you have a good resume. Read an article yesterday, which I'll look for in a second, that states an employer will know within 6 seconds as to whether they read further or toss it away. Found it:

http://lifeinc.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/22/10796526-your-resume-has-six-seconds-to-get-you-a-job

Wind Song
04-13-2012, 03:56 PM
I'm quite paranoid about Facebook, which is why I initially objected to the use of my first name. It is not that hard to trace a forum member.

Abbey Marie
04-13-2012, 04:47 PM
Best of luck, WS.

ConHog
04-13-2012, 05:18 PM
Best of luck to anyone who is seeking employment. Hope you get a job you truly love Sky.

Missileman
04-13-2012, 05:35 PM

Wish me luck!

You should be able to find work as a parrot trainer...I hear it takes lots of repetition. :poke:

logroller
04-14-2012, 03:48 AM
My dad once told me, luck is when preparation meets opportunity.

Trinity
04-14-2012, 06:00 AM
I'm quite paranoid about Facebook, which is why I initially objected to the use of my first name. It is not that hard to trace a forum member.

You should be paranoid, especially if you are like some people who post their entire lives story for anyone to find and use in whatever manner they choose. Which is why my Facebook account contains my nickname as first name, and only a partial off my last name. My Facebook page is also set up as private so no one can find me. The only people I have as friends are people I know personally, and I have added them.

I also do not use my full name or even nick names for email addresses or any other accounts I may set up online. Why? It's called privacy. I can not be found in an online search. I have tried multiple search engines with no results. I made it that way for a reason. Privacy! If I want someone to know something about me I will tell them, I don't want them being able to snoop out information about me online.

darin
04-17-2012, 05:10 AM
maybe move to a place with better chances for work?