PDA

View Full Version : Motion sickness; does Dramamine work?

logroller
04-14-2012, 03:51 AM
I've heard it makes you drowsy, esp. when combined with alcohol. There's a non-drowsy formula, but it costs more at the local drugstore, does it matter? Anyone have experience with this?

Mr. P
04-14-2012, 04:17 PM
I've used Dramamine once and it worked well. The one thing I do know is you need to take it about 2 hrs before you need it, don't wait until you feel bad.
I should add..I used it on a boat fishing in the Atlantic. I can fly without a problem but I'll get sea sick standing on a dock! :laugh:

KitchenKitten99
04-14-2012, 07:00 PM
I've heard it makes you drowsy, esp. when combined with alcohol. There's a non-drowsy formula, but it costs more at the local drugstore, does it matter? Anyone have experience with this?

My husband gets sea sick very easily and was miserable on his first cruise we took a couple years ago when the ship went through some massive waves, so it was rotating on all axis. He tried dramamine but it just made him tired and didn't really work too well.

You're actually supposed to start taking it 24 hours beforehand. However there is an issue with the alcohol---drinking will negate the effects of the dramamine and also make you sleep more.

So...this year on our 8-day cruise, he took ginger-root capsules. Started 24 hours beforehand, and then maintained with one every 6-8 hours. He had zero issues and since the ginger helps with digestion, he didn't have other issues that travelers often experience. Plus no limitations on alcohol. :2up: