PDA

View Full Version : Carney: Not Appropriate For Obama To Comment On Ongoing Secret Service Investigation

jimnyc
04-15-2012, 12:33 PM
I almost agree. These SS agents are involved in prostitution in Colombia and some have been relieved of their duties for now. I believe 11 in total have been sent back to the states. I suppose it would be improper of the President of the United States to chime in on a case that is ongoing, all the facts haven't been released yet & we don't even know yet if any charges will be forthcoming. It might seem like the President would be "intervening" or "taking sides" before the investigation or law has a chance to do the right thing

But why did he choose a different route with the Trayvon Martin case? Why would it be inappropriate for the President to comment on one ongoing case, but it's OK to do so in another case?

White House press secretary Jay Carney says "it would not be appropriate" for President Obama to comment on the Secret Service prostitution scandal that occurred just prior to his visit to Colombia.

"This is matter that is being looked in an appropriate manner by the Secret Service itself. It would not be appropriate for the president to characterize something being looking into the Secret Service at this time. All I can tell you is that it was -- he was made aware of it, but beyond that i'm not going to characterize his reaction," Carney said on Saturday afternoon.

Last month, Obama weighed in on the ongoing investigation of Trayvon Martin, saying if he had a son he would look like Trayvon.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/04/14/carney_not_appropriate_for_obama_to_comment_on_ong oing_secret_service_investigation.html

Shadow
04-15-2012, 01:31 PM
I almost agree. These SS agents are involved in prostitution in Colombia and some have been relieved of their duties for now. I believe 11 in total have been sent back to the states. I suppose it would be improper of the President of the United States to chime in on a case that is ongoing, all the facts haven't been released yet & we don't even know yet if any charges will be forthcoming. It might seem like the President would be "intervening" or "taking sides" before the investigation or law has a chance to do the right thing

But why did he choose a different route with the Trayvon Martin case? Why would it be inappropriate for the President to comment on one ongoing case, but it's OK to do so in another case?

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/04/14/carney_not_appropriate_for_obama_to_comment_on_ong oing_secret_service_investigation.html

Because one could be spun as politically helpful...and the other is just politically damaging?

ConHog
04-15-2012, 05:55 PM

Weird criteria the WH has for what it is appropriate for Obama to comment on.

Kathianne
04-15-2012, 07:39 PM
Because one could be spun as politically helpful...and the other is just politically damaging?

Could be. LOL!