PDA

View Full Version : What is the big deal about dog meat?

gabosaurus
04-18-2012, 10:48 PM
The consumption of dogs and cats is fairly common among people in various Asian countries. They view dogs as many of us would view cows or pigs. If you served in the military and were based in Korea, Thailand or Indonesia, you have probably eaten dog meat. It is used as a beef substitute in many restaurant there, as it is cheaper.
Even if you have never been to an Asian country, you may have eaten dog meat. Up until two years ago, Taco Bell and McDonald's used processed beef imported from China. I believe Taco Bell was sued after someone found that a distributor had substituted cheaper dog and goat meat for ground beef.
Lastly, if you are an obedient child, you eat what you are served.

darin
04-19-2012, 05:50 AM
Social taboo, pure and simple. :(

ConHog
04-19-2012, 09:10 AM
The consumption of dogs and cats is fairly common among people in various Asian countries. They view dogs as many of us would view cows or pigs. If you served in the military and were based in Korea, Thailand or Indonesia, you have probably eaten dog meat. It is used as a beef substitute in many restaurant there, as it is cheaper.
Even if you have never been to an Asian country, you may have eaten dog meat. Up until two years ago, Taco Bell and McDonald's used processed beef imported from China. I believe Taco Bell was sued after someone found that a distributor had substituted cheaper dog and goat meat for ground beef.

As I gaze out into my pasture full of cattle I realize I don't HAVE to eat dog, so I won't. Same as I won't eat cat, snake, horse,goat,lion,tiger,hippo,rhino, or any other manner of animal.

Not EVERY animal is suited to eat.

Abbey Marie
04-19-2012, 09:42 AM
Dogs: You can't eat your best friend

Cats: Waaay too cool to eat

Asians tend to be quite lacking in compassion, and I would hardly model myself after their values.

MtnBiker
04-19-2012, 10:09 AM

I said it before and I will say it again, when I look at my 11 year old chocholate lab I never have to think "hmmm, I know how he tastes".

However I agree with Gabby here, in fact this is such a great statement that Obama should go on every Sunday talkshow and say exactly what Gabby stated. He could even hand out ground dog meat burritos to the talkshow hosts. I am sure that would go a long way to securing his "likeability" with independent voters. Good point Gabby.

Abbey Marie
04-19-2012, 11:32 AM
I said it before and I will say it again, when I look at my 11 year old chocholate lab I never have to think "hmmm, I know how he tastes".

However I agree with Gabby here, in fact this is such a great statement that Obama should go on every Sunday talkshow and say exactly what Gabby stated. He could even hand out ground dog meat burritos to the talkshow hosts. I am sure that would go a long way to securing his "likeability" with independent voters. Good point Gabby.

Wonder if Noir would still support him over Romney? ;)

Noir
04-19-2012, 12:48 PM
One that's changed recently, certainly where I live is rabbit, only 2 generations ago catching, gutting and stewing rabbit was very common, whereas now (certainly in households) it would be very rare indeed.

The reasons we don't tend to eat cats, dogs, and bunnies etc is for the cuddly/companion factor, nothing to do with the pain and misery the poor critters that are deemed acceptable for slaughter and consumption go through ):

But heres hoping we may one day live in a world were no animal need be killed for reasons other than putting them out of a painful life ^,^

ConHog
04-19-2012, 12:51 PM
One that's changed recently, certainly where I live is rabbit, only 2 generations ago catching, gutting and stewing rabbit was very common, whereas now (certainly in households) it would be very rare indeed.

The reasons we don't tend to eat cats, dogs, and bunnies etc is for the cuddly/companion factor, nothing to do with the pain and misery the poor critters that are deemed acceptable for slaughter and consumption go through ):

But heres hoping we may one day live in a world were no animal need be killed for reasons other than putting them out of a painful life ^,^

Nothing better than Welsh Rabbit, a dish that actually contains no rabbit. LOL

jimnyc
04-19-2012, 01:18 PM

All in context...

If people on Obama's team want to go apeshit crazy because Romney let his dog travel in a crate on top of the car, then maybe they should speak up about people who eat dogs. I would think letting your dog HAPPILY ride on top of a car is probably better than eating him. Granted, there are different cultures in play, but a dog is a dog, no? So if one could look at it objectively, like you're doing, and not see a big deal with a German Shepherd being served for dinner next week, then that person shouldn't criticize another for how they travel with their dog.

MtnBiker
04-19-2012, 01:58 PM
Wonder if Noir would still support him over Romney? ;)

Oh, good question. Could also wonder about Wing Song's perspective. She would probably be ok with it depending on who killed the dog, if slaughtered in a mass product plant, ok. However if it were someone like Obama's brother George who lives in a hut, not so much.

MtnBiker
04-19-2012, 01:59 PM
All in context...

If people on Obama's team want to go apeshit crazy because Romney let his dog travel in a crate on top of the car, then maybe they should speak up about people who eat dogs. I would think letting your dog HAPPILY ride on top of a car is probably better than eating him. Granted, there are different cultures in play, but a dog is a dog, no? So if one could look at it objectively, like you're doing, and not see a big deal with a German Shepherd being served for dinner next week, then that person shouldn't criticize another for how they travel with their dog.

Exactly right, Obama team deflection from his poor record.

Gaffer
04-19-2012, 02:33 PM
I don't remember any dog eating in Vietnam. The people there ate rice and fish. Raw fish. Of course I spent most of my time in the jungle and didn't see any of the bigger cities. Never saw dog on the menu's in Japan either. Don't know about Korea. I think most of the dog eating goes on in china. But then when people are hungry enough any meat available will do. Horse, mule, kangaroo, apes, possum. There a whole range of exotic meats out there.

ConHog
04-19-2012, 02:45 PM
I don't remember any dog eating in Vietnam. The people there ate rice and fish. Raw fish. Of course I spent most of my time in the jungle and didn't see any of the bigger cities. Never saw dog on the menu's in Japan either. Don't know about Korea. I think most of the dog eating goes on in china. But then when people are hungry enough any meat available will do. Horse, mule, kangaroo, apes, possum. There a whole range of exotic meats out there.

Most Vietnam vets I know who have talked about that, and we haven't really talked that particular subject much, never mention eating dog or seeing it being eaten either. I'm sure it happens, but I don't think it's as widespread as some believe.

I would say that worldwide the most eaten animal that we Americans consider a pet would undoubtedly be horse.

tailfins
04-19-2012, 02:47 PM

You apparently don't understand the game Heads, I win; Tails you lose. The new standard is that it's OK to eat dogs, but not OK to transport them in a carrier on the roof of your vehicle. Visit Media Matters to keep up with the standards that change by the day.