PDA

View Full Version : Restaurant question?

MtnBiker
04-19-2012, 10:18 AM
When you see a sign on a restaurant that states "home cooking", what does that mean to you? Is that claim something to encourage you to partonize that restaurant?

DragonStryk72
04-19-2012, 10:19 AM
When you see a sign on a restaurant that states "home cooking", what does that mean to you? Is that claim something to encourage you to partonize that restaurant?

Eh, sometimes yes, sometimes no. It really depends on the feel of the restaurant. If it's like getting a really good homecooked meal, then yes, but if it looks like what I cook at home when there's no one around to cook for, no.

Thunderknuckles
04-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Eh, sometimes yes, sometimes no. It really depends on the feel of the restaurant. If it's like getting a really good homecooked meal, then yes, but if it looks like what I cook at home when there's no one around to cook for, no.
What he said!

I happened across the epitome of a "home cooking" restaurant during a cross country trip I made with my wife and son a number of years back. I don't remember the state but the locals recommended a nearby home that an elderly couple converted into a "bed and breakfast". I still remember the bisquits and gravy to this day!! Dear Lord that was some good food.

Abbey Marie
04-19-2012, 11:24 AM
I take it as a sign that I will be served high fat, high cholesterol, high sugar, meals/desserts that taste and look rather simple.

Which sometimes is just what you're in the mood to eat. ;)

ConHog
04-19-2012, 12:12 PM
To me homestyle means comfort food. So when I go into a restaurant that advertises home cooking, I expect to eat what my mom or even my grandma would have served me. Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, meat loaf, things of this nature. A steak house , for example, is not home cooking.

fj1200
04-19-2012, 12:16 PM

Now that I've thought about it. HC would be cooked like you would make it at home, biscuits and sausage gravy being made from scratch :yum: as opposed to coming from a can. :yuck:

Noir
04-19-2012, 12:53 PM
Never seen such a thing myself...must he more of an American custom.

ConHog
04-19-2012, 01:01 PM
Never seen such a thing myself...must he more of an American custom.

That's because even the British want nothing to do with British cooking. :laugh2:

jimnyc
04-19-2012, 01:08 PM

What it means and what it SHOULD mean are 2 different things.

What it generally means, is really nothing. They'll "package" your food or serve you differently, and make you think you're having a meal just like when Mom cooked it when you were a kid.

What it should be, and what I really only had once... At a restaurant in Pennsylvania called "Good 'n Plenty". You get tables that fit 1-3 families and you must all share. There will be no shortage of food though, as they come out with entire turkeys, or roasts or whatever it is they are serving, and it's fresh from local farms and call cooked at "home" in the room next door.

ConHog
04-19-2012, 01:11 PM

What it generally means, is really nothing. They'll "package" your food or serve you differently, and make you think you're having a meal just like when Mom cooked it when you were a kid.

What it should be, and what I really only had once... At a restaurant in Pennsylvania called "Good 'n Plenty". You get tables that fit 1-3 families and you must all share. There will be no shortage of food though, as they come out with entire turkeys, or roasts or whatever it is they are serving, and it's fresh from local farms and call cooked at "home" in the room next door.

I've ate at some pretty good home style places that didn't serve family style like you are describing. In fact there is one in Branson that is actually a buffet. But it's unlike any buffet you ever had. Their fried chicken and mashed potatoes and gravy are shut your mouth good. Their homemade pies will make you slap yo momma. I don't know how they manage it when they are serving so many. It's called Sadie's Sideboard if you ever get to Branson, and it's no joke.

MtnBiker
04-19-2012, 02:13 PM
Interesting and great responses, keep them coming.

When you see such a claim do you believe it? For example gravy made at home, such as a pan gravy from a beef roast, can be much different then gravy served in a restaurant that is mass producing.

Kathianne
04-19-2012, 02:16 PM

When I was in the Poconos 15 years or so ago, there were a few inns and ranches that served the same. It was really good and a lot of fun!

ConHog
04-19-2012, 02:17 PM
Interesting and great responses, keep them coming.

When you see such a claim do you believe it? For example gravy made at home, such as a pan gravy from a beef roast, can be much different then gravy served in a restaurant that is mass producing.

I don't believe when a CHAIN claims to be homestyle. A good mom and pop joint though? MMMMM

Abbey Marie
04-19-2012, 02:38 PM
The only really good "home style" cooking I've had out, were church dinners prepared by the older women of the congregation. When they are gone, I can't imagine the younger women doing it right.

ConHog
04-19-2012, 02:54 PM
The only really good "home style" cooking I've had out, were church dinners prepared by the older women of the congregation. When they are gone, I can't imagine the younger women doing it right.

Ugh, we have a lot of pot luck type dinners at our church, and there was always this one potato dish there, you had to be early to get any of it, cuz OMG, it took me two years to figure out who brought it and then talk her into giving me the recipe. Church ladies can cook!!!

Nukeman
04-19-2012, 03:34 PM
The only really good "home style" cooking I've had out, were church dinners prepared by the older women of the congregation. When they are gone, I can't imagine the younger women doing it right.you need to take a trip a little East from where you are. go to the Das Essenhause in Millersburg IN for real Amish style HOME COOKING... great food and atmosphere.... Once you go there you will understand what "home cooking" is supposed to mean.. :beer:

This was meant for Kathianne, but Abbey is welcome to go there as well. She just needs a road trip to get there.

MtnBiker
04-19-2012, 06:24 PM
Ok, let's try another marketing phrase as compared to "home cooking"

"Hand crafted comfort food"

How does that sound?

ConHog
04-19-2012, 06:28 PM
Ok, let's try this as another marketing phrase as compared to "home cooking"

How does that sound?

Is a better description actually.

Abbey Marie
04-19-2012, 08:25 PM
Ok, let's try another marketing phrase as compared to "home cooking"

How does that sound?

Are you starting or buying a business, MB?

Shadow
04-19-2012, 09:54 PM

To me homestyle means comfort food. So when I go into a restaurant that advertises home cooking, I expect to eat what my mom or even my grandma would have served me. Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, meat loaf, things of this nature. A steak house , for example, is not home cooking.

^^ What he said. Home cooking means things like chicken fried steak,home made pot pies and meatloaf to me.

Ugh, we have a lot of pot luck type dinners at our church, and there was always this one potato dish there, you had to be early to get any of it, cuz OMG, it took me two years to figure out who brought it and then talk her into giving me the recipe. Church ladies can cook!!!

Better get them to write that stuff down. My grandma made the best home made noodles i have ever had...one of my aunt's a burmese dish called Khow Suey. Both wonderful...no one ever had them teach them to make it or write out the recipe. Once they passed away...that kind of stuff was lost.

SassyLady
04-19-2012, 11:08 PM
^^ What he said. Home cooking means things like chicken fried steak,home made pot pies and meatloaf to me.

Better get them to write that stuff down. My grandma made the best home made noodles i have ever had...one of my aunt's a burmese dish called Khow Suey. Both wonderful...no one ever had them teach them to make it or write out the recipe. Once they passed away...that kind of stuff was lost.

Home cooking to me means nothing fancy ... like from a chef ... but cooking that a normal person would be able to do in their own home without fancy cooking implements or cookware (i.e., food processor or pasta maker).

Home cooking is the same as I would find in my kitchen but I didn't have to cook it or clean up afterward.

Hand crafted comfort food might fit, but still .... is it food that is made simply or elaborately? Hand crafted makes me think it was not made with fancy machines. Comfort food is still the simple food ... nothing elaborate.

gabosaurus
04-19-2012, 11:14 PM
I take claims of "home cooking" in the same light as "gourmet sandwiches" and "award winning." It means someone is trying to entice you into believe that their food is just as good as what your mom cooked for you when you were younger.
Restaurants of all sorts will do anything to attract customers. Since it is a large market where up to 75 percent of startups fail.

MtnBiker
04-24-2012, 07:36 PM
Are you starting or buying a business, MB?

Nope, just intrested in peoples prospective.

All good responses.

ConHog
04-25-2012, 09:08 AM
I take claims of "home cooking" in the same light as "gourmet sandwiches" and "award winning." It means someone is trying to entice you into believe that their food is just as good as what your mom cooked for you when you were younger.
Restaurants of all sorts will do anything to attract customers. Since it is a large market where up to 75 percent of startups fail.

It's a tough business for sure. My brother and sister and law started a restaurant last year. My wife and I along with my parents, and sister are silent partners. Its tough