PDA

View Full Version : Fair Trade Products

Noir
04-26-2012, 05:32 PM
This is something that's always bewildered me, and i'm sure its as true in the states as it is here.

Most commonly fair-trade products are clothing, fruit and vegetables, chocolate, coffee, teas, sugar. But how can a company sell two products (much less people want to buy one of them) when they *know* and it is advertised that they farmer/producer did not get a fair deal for their coffee beans etc?

The question basically is - Should we be able to buy non-fairtrade products?

tailfins
04-26-2012, 05:47 PM
This is something that's always bewildered me, and i'm sure its as true in the states as it is here.

Most commonly fair-trade products are clothing, fruit and vegetables, chocolate, coffee, teas, sugar. But how can a company sell two products (much less people want to buy one of them) when they *know* and it is advertised that they farmer/producer did not get a fair deal for their coffee beans etc?

That's a big deal up in Vermont. It seems that Fair Trade is a synonym for really expensive. It seems to appeal to Manhattanites who like to feel good about themselves when they stay at over-priced bed-and-brekfasts.

Noir
04-26-2012, 05:53 PM
That's a big deal up in Vermont. It seems that Fair Trade is a synonym for really expensive. It seems to appeal to Manhattanites who like to feel good about themselves when they stay at over-priced bed-and-brekfasts.

...maybe the situations a bit different in the States but generally you're talking like less than a dollar more for a jar of fair-trade coffee etc here, and like, fruit are only 5-10% more expense, not exactly bank-breaking.

SassyLady
04-26-2012, 06:16 PM
I have to be honest...I don't pay attention to the fair trade issue. I buy what I want and don't usually pay attention to price.

fj1200
04-26-2012, 09:54 PM

It's possible you've been duped into paying higher prices by some effective marketing with little benefit to those that are supposed to be helped.

Consumers have been shown to be content paying higher prices for Fairtrade products, in the belief that this helps the very poor.[34] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_trade#cite_note-33) The main ethical criticism of Fairtrade is that this premium over non-Fairtrade products does not reach the producers and is instead collected by businesses, employees of co-operatives or used for unnecessary expenses. Furthermore, research has cited the implementation of certain Fairtrade standards as a cause for greater inequalities in markets where these rigid rules are inappropriate for the specific market.[35] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_trade#cite_note-34)
More at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_trade#Criticisms

ConHog
04-26-2012, 10:00 PM
I have to be honest...I don't pay attention to the fair trade issue. I buy what I want and don't usually pay attention to price.

Same here. Now I don't buy beef or pork, nor many vegetables so maybe I just don't buy products that are affected.

Mr. P
04-26-2012, 10:17 PM
If "A" and "B" offer the same item and "B" is cheaper I'll buy from "B".

The OP reminds me of "Buy the Union Label" campaign that ran here in the U.S yrs ago.

PostmodernProphet
04-27-2012, 06:39 AM
Same here. Now I don't buy beef or pork, nor many vegetables so maybe I just don't buy products that are affected.

if they marketed fair trade pork, would they have to certify that the pig was satisfied with the deal?.....

Noir
04-27-2012, 07:11 AM
if they marketed fair trade pork, would they have to certify that the pig was satisfied with the deal?.....

That sounds more like the 'humane' animal farming, to which Chris Hannah once said “I was vegan for a while up until recently. Then I started eating people. Only free-range, of course, which is humane. I gave them a little space, didn’t terrorize them (too much), then slit their throats" xD

fj1200
04-27-2012, 07:21 AM

The real, underlying problem is that the farmers are kept from reaping the benefits of a true(r) free-market where they can engage in agreements that are to there benefit. I'm not sure how another layer of institutional "help" is supposed to make up for the freedoms that they are already lacking. Wouldn't it be better to provide them access to a proven system rather than a band-aid?

Toro
04-27-2012, 07:46 PM
I don't buy fair trade products.