PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Authors

Peach
04-27-2012, 08:49 PM
In the last 75 years: Faulkner, O'Connor, O'Neill, Lessing.

SassyLady
04-27-2012, 08:54 PM
For pure entertainment:

Dean Koontz, James Rollins, Suzanne Brockman, Lee Child

Peach
04-27-2012, 08:57 PM
For pure entertainment:

Dean Koontz, James Rollins, Suzanne Brockman, Lee Child

King, Christie.

Peach
04-27-2012, 09:21 PM
I left out Tillie Olsen. I no longer have the book, but Yonnondio has stayed with me for 25+ years.

SassyLady
04-27-2012, 09:26 PM
I left out Tillie Olsen. I no longer have the book, but Yonnondio has stayed with me for 25+ years.

I have an entire room, that used to be called the office, which is now my library. I have four sections:

1. Fiction
2. Business
3. Self-Improvement
4. Non-Fiction

My heart was broken when Borders when out of business....books are my vice.

Wind Song
04-27-2012, 10:22 PM
Val McDermid, Ian Rankin, Elizabeth George, PDJames.

My vice is the Friends of the Library book sales.

Peach
04-28-2012, 05:15 AM
Val McDermid, Ian Rankin, Elizabeth George, PDJames.

My vice is the Friends of the Library book sales.

I love those also. My Tornadoes, Hurricanes, Earthquakes, and other natural disasters section is quite large.

PostmodernProphet
04-28-2012, 08:07 AM
authors who frustrate me because they cannot write as fast as I can read...

Lois McMaster Bujold - Vorkosigan series - very original premise....a prince with a birth defect in a society that would have killed him at birth leads a double life as a space pirate lauded as the savior of that society.....at one point he is approached by the nobility with a request that he assassinate himself and take over the government.....
Jim Butcher - Dresden Files, Codex series

Peach
04-28-2012, 09:14 AM
Steinbeck.

Wind Song
04-28-2012, 09:53 AM
Tim Wise, Howard Zinn, Seymour Hersh, Madeline Albright

Peach
04-28-2012, 02:13 PM
James Baldwin.

ConHog
04-28-2012, 03:42 PM
Tom CLancey, John Grisham, Mark Twain, Shakespeare, Ernest Hemingway,Brad Thor

to name a few.

BDBoop
04-29-2012, 10:12 PM
authors who frustrate me because they cannot write as fast as I can read...

Lois McMaster Bujold - Vorkosigan series - very original premise....a prince with a birth defect in a society that would have killed him at birth leads a double life as a space pirate lauded as the savior of that society.....at one point he is approached by the nobility with a request that he assassinate himself and take over the government.....
Jim Butcher - Dresden Files, Codex series

Seconded on Butcher.

Wind Song
05-02-2012, 05:54 PM
James Baldwin.

I haven't read Baldwin in so long.

Herman Hesse

Michael Connelly--(All the Harry Bosch detective stories).

WiccanLiberal
06-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Laurie R. King's excellent Mary Russell novels. If you want a new view of a classic character, try the Beekeepers Apprentice. Alexander McCall Smith's Ladies No.1 Detective Agency novels. Anne Perry's Victorian mysteries - even more fascinating because she is a convicted killer herself. Robert Massie for his historical and biographical material, especially his books on the Russian royal family. Robert Heinlein from the time I was old enough to read his books for young readers. J.D.Robb's In Death novels. Her main character Eve Dallas kicks ass. S.M.Stirling who has written one of the best post-apocalyptic series of novels ever, beginning with Dies the Fire.

Noir
06-03-2012, 11:29 AM
George Martin, Shelagh Delany, Oscar Wilde, Haruki Murakami, and George Orwell.