PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into shape.

DragonStryk72
04-28-2012, 12:02 AM
So, I'm starting to get back into fighting shape. It's sort of odd that I mean that literally. I used to don sword and armor for the SCA and enter swordfighting tournaments, along with doing martial arts. I also miss rock climbing, but not many places to do that right around here. I sort of miss being in the improved shape, and of course, they were both a ton of fun.

I'm edging back in slowly, doing light Tae Bo for the moment til I can get my endurance up. Other than that, I'm looking into a membership at Planet Fitness, which is a 24 hr gym chain, for those that don't know.

Honestly, not too worried about the diet. It's more the lack of physical activity that killed me. I got a job that just doesn't have me doing much physically, so it's basically just a need to get back to doing physical stuff.

SassyLady
04-28-2012, 12:20 AM
So, I'm starting to get back into fighting shape. It's sort of odd that I mean that literally. I used to don sword and armor for the SCA and enter swordfighting tournaments, along with doing martial arts. I also miss rock climbing, but not many places to do that right around here. I sort of miss being in the improved shape, and of course, they were both a ton of fun.

I'm edging back in slowly, doing light Tae Bo for the moment til I can get my endurance up. Other than that, I'm looking into a membership at Planet Fitness, which is a 24 hr gym chain, for those that don't know.

Honestly, not too worried about the diet. It's more the lack of physical activity that killed me. I got a job that just doesn't have me doing much physically, so it's basically just a need to get back to doing physical stuff.

I can help with the physical stuff!! :coffee:

Good for you DS. Everyone feels better when they are in shape. What is the SCA?

Shadow
04-28-2012, 12:23 AM

I think you will like Planet Fitness. That's the gym I go to...a nice variety of equipment and it usually not too crowded (at least the one I visit). Martial Arts and Rock Climbing sounds interesting too (good for clearing your mind). Hope you do get back into it.

DragonStryk72
04-28-2012, 05:27 PM
I can help with the physical stuff!! :coffee:

Good for you DS. Everyone feels better when they are in shape. What is the SCA?

Society for Creative Anachronism, medieval reenactment. I get all dressed up in Knight's garb and go at people with blunted metal swords, axes, and spears. Pretty solid workout. I've won a couple tourneys.

I think you will like Planet Fitness. That's the gym I go to...a nice variety of equipment and it usually not too crowded (at least the one I visit). Martial Arts and Rock Climbing sounds interesting too (good for clearing your mind). Hope you do get back into it.

Yeah, I went in as a guest a few times, and I like the lack of pushiness by the staff.

Martial Arts really helps with the focus, and plus, once I get down what I'm doing, I get to help others learn, which gives me more motivation to come back. Rock climbing is just a ton of fun, along with its cousin, spelunking.

Mr. P
04-28-2012, 06:18 PM
Spelunking is cool. The first time I ever did it we had a 50' rappel into the entrance. I was always afraid I'd get stuck in some narrow passage on my belly or get lost. Other than that it was fun.

DragonStryk72
04-28-2012, 06:25 PM
Spelunking is cool. The first time I ever did it we had a 50' rappel into the entrance. I was always afraid I'd get stuck in some narrow passage on my belly or get lost. Other than that it was fun.

Yeah, my first time was in junior high with my buddy Chris up in Clarksville NY.

SassyLady
04-28-2012, 08:12 PM
Yeah, my first time was in junior high with my buddy Chris up in Clarksville NY.

Well, I haven't rock climbed since being a kid and never spelunked; however, I have bungee jumped. Most exhilarating experience I've had. Screams coming from the tips of my toes and out through the top of my head on way down, and nothing but giggles after that.

DragonStryk72
04-28-2012, 08:17 PM
Well, I haven't rock climbed since being a kid and never spelunked; however, I have bungee jumped. Most exhilarating experience I've had. Screams coming from the tips of my toes and out through the top of my head on way down, and nothing but giggles after that.

lol, yeah, me and Dad went bungee-jumping when he was going through his whole mid-life thing

Mr. P
04-28-2012, 08:29 PM
Bungee-jumping is nuts! I'd never do that, on the other hand I have jumped out of a perfectly good aircraft at 3000 feet. :laugh:

Shadow
04-29-2012, 12:14 AM
Rock climbing is just a ton of fun, along with its cousin, spelunking.

I don't know why but spelunking sounds more fun to me. Gives me more of a vision of an adventure maybe. I have never done either one though. Only caves I have ever explored were...Cave Of The Winds...and Carlsbad Caverns.

You have interesting hobbies. :thumb:

Wind Song
04-29-2012, 11:02 AM
My rock climbing days are over. I've at matched set of broken ankles.

Trigg
04-29-2012, 12:25 PM

My dad used to take us when I was younger. Always enjoyed it.

He'd take us to the most remote places he could find, with narrow passages where one time his friend almost got stuck. It was a blast.

These days hubby and I try to walk 2-3 miles a day. Just got done with a 4 mile hike. It's a little chilly outside today, so I'm continuing to pray for warm weather

DragonStryk72
04-29-2012, 01:37 PM
I don't know why but spelunking sounds more fun to me. Gives me more of a vision of an adventure maybe. I have never done either one though. Only caves I have ever explored were...Cave Of The Winds...and Carlsbad Caverns.

You have interesting hobbies. :thumb:

Well, Spelunking of course has the fun sounding name. The caves up here in Clarksville were great, and Chris seemed to believe we were gonna map them, which never happened. Had a ton of fun though as we came to know different parts. There was one section that only the guys could go through, called the Chest Compressor. It was literally low enough that you had to lay down on your belly, and even then, there was almost no space.

lol, I remember when we went through the first time, Chris had gone first, with me right behind him. Just as I coming out on his side, Chris is leaned against a wall, as shimmying through takes alot out of you, and the closeness screws up your breathing a bit. I'm standing up to join him when Joe says he's starting through, and something clicks, "NO! Joe, stay with Stacy! She can't make it through!"

The response from Stacy, "What?! Why wouldn't I?"

This is where I start stammering a bit, until Chris decided to 'help', "Because you have significant breasts! You'll never get em through the chest compressor, and we'd like ye to keep them!"

Shadow
04-30-2012, 09:20 PM
Well, Spelunking of course has the fun sounding name. The caves up here in Clarksville were great, and Chris seemed to believe we were gonna map them, which never happened. Had a ton of fun though as we came to know different parts. There was one section that only the guys could go through, called the Chest Compressor. It was literally low enough that you had to lay down on your belly, and even then, there was almost no space.

lol, I remember when we went through the first time, Chris had gone first, with me right behind him. Just as I coming out on his side, Chris is leaned against a wall, as shimmying through takes alot out of you, and the closeness screws up your breathing a bit. I'm standing up to join him when Joe says he's starting through, and something clicks, "NO! Joe, stay with Stacy! She can't make it through!"

The response from Stacy, "What?! Why wouldn't I?"

This is where I start stammering a bit, until Chris decided to 'help', "Because you have significant breasts! You'll never get em through the chest compressor, and we'd like ye to keep them!"

Like this?? Yeah...I don't know if I would like that. I'm kinda claustrophobic.

http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r405/Ginger1965/cave4.jpg

I would like to go here though...

http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r405/Ginger1965/Cave.jpg

And here...

http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r405/Ginger1965/cave3.jpg

And definately here...

http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r405/Ginger1965/cave2.jpg

SassyLady
05-01-2012, 01:27 AM
Has anyone ever been zip-lining or rappeled down a waterfall? On my last vacation to Mexico we did that....and then toured a tequilla tasting/manufacturing factory. Awesome day.
Shadow....I'll go with you to those places, but not spelunking....boobies are too big. Might get stuck!

logroller
05-01-2012, 04:01 AM
Call me an opportunist, but I'm sensing a market for a chest compressor for women of ample endowment...I'll market it as an Triple D's XXXtreme sport. Pretty sure I'll find an angel investor by the name of Jim.

fj1200
05-01-2012, 08:46 AM
Has anyone ever been zip-lining or rappeled down a waterfall? On my last vacation to Mexico we did that....and then toured a tequilla tasting/manufacturing factory. Awesome day.
Shadow....I'll go with you to those places, but not spelunking....boobies are too big. Might get stuck!

There are some good ziplining places not too far from ATL, haven't imbibed yet though.

fj1200
05-01-2012, 08:47 AM
Call me an opportunist, but I'm sensing a market for a chest compressor for women of ample endowment...I'll market it as an Triple D's XXXtreme sport. Pretty sure I'll find an angel investor by the name of Jim.

Really? I would think he'd engage in some corporate espionage. :slap:

Gaffer
05-01-2012, 12:26 PM
Did my share of spelunking in the army. We called it tunnel rat. I don't think I could do that now days. I'll just sit outside under a tree and wait for ya'll to come back.

logroller
05-01-2012, 01:37 PM
Really? I would think he'd engage in some corporate espionage. :slap:
Peeping/ lewdness more likely. Completely reasonable IMHO--dismissed w/ prejudice.

Mr. P
05-01-2012, 01:56 PM
There are some good ziplining places not too far from ATL, haven't imbibed yet though.

I didn't know that...where at?

fj1200
05-01-2012, 03:15 PM
I didn't know that...where at?

www.historicbanningmills.com/

northgeorgiacanopytours.com/

http://www.firewireziplines.com/

And plenty more, just google ziplines and Georgia.

SassyLady
05-01-2012, 06:48 PM

You should go ... they are extremely exhilarating!

SassyLady
05-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Did my share of spelunking in the army. We called it tunnel rat. I don't think I could do that now days. I'll just sit outside under a tree and wait for ya'll to come back.

This is what I do when everyone decides to climb to the top of Half Dome! Me, the squirrels and bluejays are perfectly happy to wait back at base camp.

Trigg
05-01-2012, 07:09 PM
You should go ... they are extremely exhilarating!

exhilarating is not quite the word I would use for jumping off a rock and hurdling through space while strapped into a harness hanging from a small wire.

nope definitally NOT the word I would use.

SassyLady
05-01-2012, 07:14 PM
exhilarating is not quite the word I would use for jumping off a rock and hurdling through space while strapped into a harness hanging from a small wire.

nope definitally NOT the word I would use.

Well, all those screams I suppressed by putting pillow over my head while the kids were young, manage to escape when I zipline, bungee-jump or rappel down a waterfall. For me the speed and risk is orgasmic. I LOVE IT!

logroller
05-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Well, all those screams I suppressed by putting pillow over my head while the kids were young, manage to escape when I zipline, bungee-jump or rappel down a waterfall. For me the speed and risk is orgasmic. I LOVE IT!
I just had a speedy orgasm reading the first line; I'll take a back road to up the risk level.

DragonStryk72
05-01-2012, 11:47 PM

Actually, you'd be surprised. We've seen some old dudes down there

logroller
05-02-2012, 03:59 AM
Actually, you'd be surprised. We've seen some old dudes down there
perhaps they went in there young:eek: