PDA

View Full Version : Carter retracts Statements.......

nevadamedic
05-21-2007, 12:07 PM
ATLANTA, Georgia (AP) -- Former President Jimmy Carter said Monday his remarks were "careless or misinterpreted" when he said the Bush administration has been the "worst in history" for its impact around the world.

Speaking on NBC's "Today," Carter appeared to retreat from a statement he made to the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette for a Saturday story in which he said: "I think as far as the adverse impact on the nation around the world, this administration has been the worst in history."

Carter said Monday that when he made the comment, he was responding to a question comparing the Bush administration's foreign policy to that of Richard Nixon.

"And I think Richard Nixon had a very good and productive foreign policy and my remarks were maybe careless or misinterpreted. But I wasn't comparing the overall administration and I was certainly not talking personally about any president," Carter said. (Read full story)

He added: "I think this administration's foreign policy compared to President Nixon's was much worse," Carter said. But he said he did not mean to call it the worst in history.

White House: Carter 'increasingly irrelevant'
"No, that's not what I wanted to say. I wasn't comparing this administration with other administrations back through history but just with President Nixon."

Deputy White House press secretary Tony Fratto, with Bush at the president's ranch in Crawford, Texas, said Monday: "I think it just highlights the importance of being careful in choosing your words. I'll just leave it at that."

In audio posted Saturday on the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette's Web site, an interviewer asked Carter "which president was worse, George W. Bush or Richard Nixon?" In his response, Carter gave the broader answer, calling the Bush administration "the worst in history."

On Sunday, the White House dismissed Carter, the 2002 Nobel Peace Prize winner, as "increasingly irrelevant" after his harsh criticism. (Read full story)

In response, Carter said: "Well, I don't claim to have any relevancy. I have a completely unofficial capacity. The only thing I lead is the Carter Center."

After the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette story appeared, Carter spokeswoman Deanna Congileo had confirmed his comments to The Associated Press.

"The overt reversal of America's basic values as expressed by previous administrations, including those of George H.W. Bush and Ronald Reagan and Richard Nixon and others, has been the most disturbing to me," the newspaper quoted Carter as saying.

In his comments Monday, Carter said he has not been timid about sharing his opinions directly with the president and other world leaders, but said he has been careful not to level personal criticism against Bush.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

I guess that POS realized he was starting a battle he couldn't win.

stephanie
05-21-2007, 12:34 PM
Carter should be put out to pasture..

:lame2:

Hagbard Celine
05-21-2007, 12:35 PM
The guy just one a Nobel Prize for Peace. The last thing he wants to do is get in a shouting match with the Bush administration--hence the retraction.

However, the Bush administration, instead of taking the criticism in stride, came back with a rebuke for Mr. Carter, which is pretty uncouth if you ask me. What Carter said is true. Our reputation around the world is bad and it has to do entirely with the B.A.'s foreign relations policy. :dunno:

stephanie
05-21-2007, 12:44 PM
The guy just one a Nobel Prize for Peace. The last thing he wants to do is get in a shouting match with the Bush administration--hence the retraction.

However, the Bush administration, instead of taking the criticism in stride, came back with a rebuke for Mr. Carter, which is pretty uncouth if you ask me. What Carter said is true. Our reputation around the world is bad and it has to do entirely with the B.A.'s foreign relations policy. :dunno:

Okay then.....If I come up and kick you in the balls.......You'll promise not to say anything....Right..:poke:

And what was our foreign policy under Carter, that got our civilians taken hostage??? I guess that's what makes Carter and all liberals, experts on foreign relations...:slap:

Hobbit
05-21-2007, 12:46 PM

This is the problem with so much political attitude on Capital Hill. The liberals are allowed to say all the asinine, stupid, hateful stuff they want, but it's somehow considered rude for the GOP to respond.

Hagbard Celine
05-21-2007, 01:06 PM
This is the problem with so much political attitude on Capital Hill. The liberals are allowed to say all the asinine, stupid, hateful stuff they want, but it's somehow considered rude for the GOP to respond.
I didn't say anything about the GOP

Hagbard Celine
05-21-2007, 01:08 PM
Okay then.....If I come up and kick you in the balls.......You'll promise not to say anything....Right..:poke: *ignore* see how that works?

And what was our foreign policy under Carter, that got our civilians taken hostage??? I guess that's what makes Carter and all liberals, experts on foreign relations...

So I guess Bush is at fault for 9/11 under this line of thinking :dunno:

Little-Acorn
05-21-2007, 01:14 PM

I'm afraid you did.

Bush is the de facto head of the GOP, as any President is the head of his party. Carter criticized the Bush ADMINISTRATION, which is basically many of the active leaders of the GOP. Bush replied on their behalf, as any leader worth his salt will do. And he even replied accurately - Carter was and is the President more out-of-touch with foreign policy than any in our history. To hear him criticizing someone ELSE for "bad foreign policy", is hilarious - like Michael Moore complaining that someone else is too fat.

Bush, and other GOP leaders, need to respond to the constant vilifying by these various Democrat leaders, more firmly and more often. If the Dems want to throw mud, people are going to get muddy. There's nothing the GOP can do to prevent it - the problem is not on their side. They can only make sure the people who deserve it, get it. Bush did exacly that. Finally.

You liberals don't like mud, quit throwing it. You think such activity is "uncouth", stop it at the source. Not when people reply to it.

Hagbard Celine
05-21-2007, 01:20 PM
I'm afraid you did.

Bush is the de facto head of the GOP, as any President is the head of his party. Carter criticized the Bush ADMINISTRATION, which is basically most of the active parts of the GOP. Bush replied on their behalf, as any leader worth his salt will do. And he even replied accurately - Carter was and is the President more out-of-touch with foreign policy than any in our history. To hear him criticizing someone ELSE for "bad foreign policy", is hilarious - like Michael Moore complaining that someone else is too fat.

Bush, and other GOP leaders, need to respond to the constant vilifying by these various Democrat leaders, more firmly and more often. If the Dems want to throw mud, people are going to get muddy. There's nothing the GOP can do to prevent it - the problem is not on their side. They can only make sure the people who deserve it, get it. Bush did exacly that. Finally.

You liberals don't like mud, quit throwing it.
You're in serious denial. A new republican jumps the Bush wagon everyday now. They're like rats abandoning a burning ship. Nobody in Washington wants to be associated with the 30 percent-approved Bushco. anymore than they want their legs sawed off. The reason is failure. The Bush administration has failed at everything it has tried and made more enemies than any presidential administration in recent US history. If you disagree then I challenge you to name one success story. :dunno: I won't wait around if you don't mind.
And I like what you said about us "liberals" not liking mud. You're right. I don't like mud. It seems though, that you conservatives enjoy bathing in it.

Doniston
05-21-2007, 01:32 PM

However, the Bush administration, instead of taking the criticism in stride, came back with a rebuke for Mr. Carter, which is pretty uncouth if you ask me. What Carter said is true. Our reputation around the world is bad and it has to do entirely with the B.A.'s foreign relations policy. :dunno: Agreed, completely and It has been suggested he be put out to pasture. ??? Well, perhaps, along with da Shrub.

Hobbit
05-21-2007, 01:46 PM

Now, you're just being facetious. My point is that I'd like to know why it's 'uncouth' to respond to very serious accusations made against you by somebody.

So I guess Bush is at fault for 9/11 under this line of thinking

The terrorists didn't spend over a year inside the WTC blowing it up. No, the initial attack on the embassy wasn't Carter's fault, but the fact that he didn't take it as an act of war and simply allowed those hostages to sit there and twist until his term was up is very much his fault. It was our first display of weakness to the Muslim world.

nevadamedic
05-21-2007, 02:26 PM
*ignore* see how that works?

So I guess Bush is at fault for 9/11 under this line of thinking :dunno:

Far from it, but I can drop some names if youd like.

Hagbard Celine
05-21-2007, 02:59 PM
Far from it, but I can drop some names if youd like.

Ooh, *makes the "ooh googly-eyed face" and shakes open hands* it's the ever-smug, "knowingly righteous" triple-threat response that informs me of the superiority of conservatism , puts me in my place as a "coo-coo lib" who has no real grasp of the world around him and insults the leaders I hold in high esteem.
Not bad nevadamedic, but don't think I don't see right through your games. :poke:

nevadamedic
05-21-2007, 03:03 PM
Okay then.....If I come up and kick you in the balls.......You'll promise not to say anything....Right..:poke:

And what was our foreign policy under Carter, that got our civilians taken hostage??? I guess that's what makes Carter and all liberals, experts on foreign relations...:slap:

I would pay to see that.

Hagbard Celine
05-21-2007, 03:05 PM
I would pay to see that.

Tune-in tonight on the violence channel. It's a pay-per-view showing of "Ow, my balls!" Sponsored by Brawndo. "It's got what you crave. It's got electrolytes!"

Bulldog
05-21-2007, 03:09 PM
Tune-in tonight on the violence channel. It's a pay-per-view showing of "Ow, my balls!" Sponsored by Brawndo. "It's got what you crave. It's got electrolytes!"

:clap: :lol:

gabosaurus
05-21-2007, 06:35 PM
Carter proves (once again) that he is a spineless wimp with no nads whatsoever.
It's bad enough that Carter was the most ignorant and incompetent president of the 20th Century. Now he makes weakass attempts at public policy that are quickly retracted if anyone calls him out on it.
Carter was the only person that made Gerald Ford look like a brilliant statesman.