PDA

View Full Version : California to middle class: drop dead

tailfins
04-29-2012, 07:33 AM
http://www.ocregister.com/opinion/state-351388-california-growth.html

a place where those who already have money can live in their coastal palaces and enjoy the splendor of the landscapes, but where it's unnecessarily difficult to move one's way up the economic ladder.

The state's Draconian land-use policies involve limiting growth, thus inflating the cost of property near the coast and pushing less-affluent people inland and to other states.

Apparently it's the left's policies that produce an economic caste system.

BDBoop
04-29-2012, 04:16 PM
Apparently - because they're operating in a vacuum?

Kathianne
04-29-2012, 04:32 PM
Apparently - because they're operating in a vacuum?

It is a problem:

http://www.newgeography.com/content/001925-if-california-is-doing-so-great-why-are-so-many-leaving

DragonStryk72
04-30-2012, 01:27 AM
Well, if CA is going off the cliff to the left, AZ seems to be going off the cliff to the right. I mean, I'm all for states' Rights and all, but they're both proving the serious downfalls of having only one party. Honestly, it's not much better with two parties, but it's still better than this.

tailfins
04-30-2012, 08:54 AM
Well, if CA is going off the cliff to the left, AZ seems to be going off the cliff to the right. I mean, I'm all for states' Rights and all, but they're both proving the serious downfalls of having only one party. Honestly, it's not much better with two parties, but it's still better than this.

What are the symptoms of AZ's fall? California is becoming increasingly unlivable. What excesses of the right can ensnare a typical resident of AZ?

These dynamics are interesting to watch and only in extreme cases does ideology come into play. It's interesting to ponder the difference between MA and NH. One lazy answer people give is that NH is well off because so many commute into MA for good jobs. If that's the case, why does RI, which is a similar commute to Boston have the second highest unemployment rate in the country?

DragonStryk72
04-30-2012, 10:02 AM
What are the symptoms of AZ's fall? California is becoming increasingly unlivable. What excesses of the right can ensnare a typical resident of AZ?

These dynamics are interesting to watch and only in extreme cases does ideology come into play. It's interesting to ponder the difference between MA and NH. One lazy answer people give is that NH is well off because so many commute into MA for good jobs. If that's the case, why does RI, which is a similar commute to Boston have the second highest unemployment rate in the country?

Remember, CA's been going at this a bit longer than AZ, but it's still there. Any extreme is a problem.

Let's see, there's a law on the books that a teacher can't have a pronounced accent, so basically, a Spanish teacher cannot have a spanish accent. No, they never put any limiter. That's just one example, but there are other things that are starting to go over the line. At a certain point, you're starting to impede the lives of your own citizenry.

lol, I would never say that a state is "well off" because so many of its people commute elsewhere for work. I'm not exactly sure of RI's policies at this point, honestly.

Wind Song
04-30-2012, 10:14 AM
California's problems are long standing. You cannot fault the parties. It's complicated.

Little-Acorn
04-30-2012, 10:41 AM
Apparently it's the left's policies that produce an economic caste system.

This is considered "news"?

When has it ever been otherwise?

fj1200
04-30-2012, 10:42 AM
California's problems are long standing. You cannot fault the parties. It's complicated.

Translation: "When things are good it's Democrats and when things are bad, you can't fault the parties."

Wind Song
04-30-2012, 11:00 AM
This is considered "news"?

When has it ever been otherwise?

Try proving it. Good luck.

Wind Song
04-30-2012, 11:01 AM
Translation: "When things are good it's Democrats and when things are bad, you can't fault the parties."

No, I didn't say that. Do you usually put words in other people's mouths?

fj1200
04-30-2012, 11:03 AM
Try proving it. Good luck.

There's proving it and then there is accepting the evidence even when a strong case is made.

It is a problem:

http://www.newgeography.com/content/001925-if-california-is-doing-so-great-why-are-so-many-leaving

fj1200
04-30-2012, 11:04 AM
No, I didn't say that. Do you usually put words in other people's mouths?

Sometimes. ;)

Wind Song
04-30-2012, 11:07 AM
There's proving it and then there is accepting the evidence even when a strong case is made.

Nope.

DragonStryk72
04-30-2012, 11:09 AM

That's no excuse. It's complicated in every single state in the union, so that comes down to being more of a cop out, like CA doesn't have to try somehow, because it's complicated.

Meanwhile VA and TX remain two of the strongest states economically, with both states actually continuing to grow, while other states lagged. Both of these are red states.

fj1200
04-30-2012, 11:10 AM
Nope.

It's hard to argue with that rebuttal. :rolleyes:

Wind Song
04-30-2012, 11:12 AM
That's no excuse. It's complicated in every single state in the union, so that comes down to being more of a cop out, like CA doesn't have to try somehow, because it's complicated.

Meanwhile VA and TX remain two of the strongest states economically, with both states actually continuing to grow, while other states lagged. Both of these are red states.

Do you live in California? Have you any idea how California has legally entangled itself? We are talking DECADES of stupid decisions.

Wind Song
04-30-2012, 11:15 AM
It's hard to argue with that rebuttal. :rolleyes:

Good. I'm pretty busy today and I don't have time for extended debate.

DragonStryk72
04-30-2012, 11:15 AM
Do you live in California? Have you any idea how California has legally entangled itself? We are talking DECADES of stupid decisions.

My brother lives in Oakland. Oddly enough, he's with the Occupy movement. Problems are simple, it's people that complicate them. If CA would just cust through the Bullshit they could undo the damage, but time and again they don't, or add more crap to the pile. It's not the problem that is complicated, it's the people.

fj1200
04-30-2012, 11:17 AM
Good. I'm pretty busy today and I don't have time for extended debate.

Do you ever?

tailfins
04-30-2012, 11:29 AM
My brother lives in Oakland. Oddly enough, he's with the Occupy movement. Problems are simple, it's people that complicate them. If CA would just cust through the Bullshit they could undo the damage, but time and again they don't, or add more crap to the pile. It's not the problem that is complicated, it's the people.

I think New Hampshire vs Rhode Island is good apples to apples comparison. If rich Massachusetts refugees pumping money into the economy is a factor, it is equally so in both states. NH has a 5.2% unemployment rate and RI has an 11.1% unemployment rate. Government doesn't create prosperity, but it can sure destroy it as in CA, IL and RI. At least the MA Democrats know when to back off because they know voters will punish them if things go bad with extreme measures such as voting Republican if they have to.

Wind Song
04-30-2012, 02:56 PM
Do you ever?

Yes, sometimes.