PDA

View Full Version : Former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson on the rise

Shadow
04-29-2012, 02:04 PM
SANTA FE — Few noticed Gary Johnson's political fall.

The former New Mexico governor hopes a
country will watch him rise.

Johnson, 59, still a stranger to much of
America, hopes his visibility will start to increase this week if he wins the
presidential nomination of the Libertarian Party.

Even various Libertarians who are not fans
of Johnson concede that he is a lock to become their party's presidential
candidate on Saturday in Las Vegas, Nev.

A former Republican, Johnson quit the
party in December because he said it abandoned him when he tried to run for
president under the GOP banner.

Johnson could not crack into the
Republican presidential debates and his poll numbers languished.

He sat on the sidelines as opponents such
as Herman Cain, Jon Huntsman and Michele Bachmann took the stage.

Rather than accepting certain defeat as a
Republican, Johnson switched to the Libertarian Party in December. He became its
best-known presidential candidate as soon as he signed his Libertarian
membership card.

Johnson relishes his reputation as a
skinflint with the public's money. He became famous for vetoing legislation and
cutting budgets in New Mexico, where he was nicknamed "Governor No."
One old rival says Johnson was always more
Libertarian than Republican, though he disguised it for years.

http://www.currentargus.com/carlsbad-news/ci_20506579/former-new-mexico-gov-gary-johnson-rise?source=rss

hjmick
04-29-2012, 02:19 PM
I've been keeping an eye on Johnson for a couple of years now. He'll get my vote.

Shadow
05-06-2012, 11:43 AM
Just an update...

Ex-New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson wins Libertarian presidential nomination

LAS VEGAS -- The Libertarian Party on Saturday chose former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson, once a Republican White House hopeful, as its presidential candidate in the Nov. 6 election.
Johnson, who announced in December he would run for president as a Libertarian after mounting a long-shot candidacy for the Republican nomination, won 70 percent of the votes cast by 632 delegates at the party's convention in Las Vegas, Libertarian Party spokesman Stephen Gordon said.

http://nbcpolitics.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/05/11558136-ex-new-mexico-gov-gary-johnson-wins-libertarian-presidential-nomination?lite

fj1200
05-06-2012, 03:24 PM
Just an update...

Does that mean he downed more shots than Bob Barr before falling off his chair?

Shadow
05-06-2012, 03:31 PM
Does that mean he downed more shots than Bob Barr before falling off his chair?

Naw...New Mexicans decide these things with a game of five card draw.

Trigg
05-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Just an update...

LAS VEGAS -- The Libertarian Party on Saturday chose former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson, once a Republican White House hopeful, as its presidential candidate in the Nov. 6 election.
Johnson, who announced in December he would run for president as a Libertarian after mounting a long-shot candidacy for the Republican nomination, won 70 percent of the votes cast by 632 delegates at the party's convention in Las Vegas, Libertarian Party spokesman Stephen Gordon said.

http://nbcpolitics.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/05/11558136-ex-new-mexico-gov-gary-johnson-wins-libertarian-presidential-nomination?lite

while I generally like the libertarian view point, especially where they stand with less gov. and decreasing spending, I hate it when they run in a Presidential race.

All I see this doing is taking votes away from the republican candidate and basically giving Obama the next election.

Gator Monroe
05-06-2012, 06:49 PM
He quits the GOP like Sarah Palin quit Alaska & Middle left Swoons lol :lol:

Shadow
05-06-2012, 06:56 PM
while I generally like the libertarian view point, especially where they stand with less gov. and decreasing spending, I hate it when they run in a Presidential race.

All I see this doing is taking votes away from the republican candidate and basically giving Obama the next election.

Yep...all his backers brush it off saying it wouldn't matter because Obama won NM in the last election. They like to totally overlook the fact that George Bush also Won NM. It is totally a swing state....and they are going to hand it over to Obama out of spite....I have no respect for that.

Trigg
05-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Yep...all his backers brush it off saying it wouldn't matter because Obama won NM in the last election. They like to totally overlook the fact that George Bush also Won NM. It is totally a swing state....and they are going to hand it over to Obama out of spite....I have no respect for that.

exactly

I love to see them run in state level elections, since they can and do win.

I'd hate to see Obama take NM because the libertarians want to make a point.

Abbey Marie
05-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Does this mean that Ron Paul won't run third party now?

Thunderknuckles
05-07-2012, 03:01 PM
The Constitution Party would love to have him I'm sure.

Shadow
05-07-2012, 08:12 PM
Does this mean that Ron Paul won't run third party now?

I don't know,but that was the hope of the Gary Johnson supporters. That Ron Paul would do well enough in the primary that he wouldn't drop out...giving Gary Johnson a free ride for this nomination.