PDA

View Full Version : Gas Prices Explained

Hobbit
05-21-2007, 01:31 PM
Here's a pretty accurate demonstration of why gas is so expensive.

http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/payn070519_cmyk.jpg

Bulldog
05-21-2007, 01:50 PM
Are you referring to the lack of infrastructure or the inefficient use of the fuel by the bloated consumer?

Typical MPG for modern European vehicles is around the 40 to 50 level nowadays. Mostly because were slowly switching to Diesel.

How's your gas mileage?

Bulldog.

Hobbit
05-21-2007, 01:53 PM
Are you referring to the lack of infrastructure or the inefficient use of the fuel by the bloated consumer?

Typical MPG for modern European vehicles is around the 40 to 50 level nowadays. Mostly because were slowly switching to Diesel.

How's your gas mileage?

Bulldog.

You missed the point entirely. Try staring at the comic until you get the point, then post a reply.

darin
05-21-2007, 01:54 PM

How's your gas mileage?

Bulldog.

17 in town, 19 on the highway.

-Cp
05-21-2007, 02:08 PM
[QUOTE=Bulldog;62865]Typical MPG for modern European vehicles is around the 40 to 50 level nowadays. Mostly because were slowly switching to Diesel.
[QUOTE]

:link: :link: :link: :link:

manu1959
05-21-2007, 02:17 PM

How's your gas mileage?

Bulldog.

and how much do you pay for a gallon...yes do the math....of diesel?...regular?

Bulldog
05-21-2007, 02:21 PM
Here's a nice UK-market 59MPG Chevvy for you...

http://www.chevrolet.co.uk/info/news_events/group_1_page_40.htm :)

Our gallons are a different size to yours, but we pay around 95pence per litre for Diesel, 99pence per litre for Regular Unleaded. We desperately need the fuel economy with our fuel prices.

The Ford Galaxy (UK people carrier) I drive for a living averages around 45MPG (UK gallon) on a run. That's almost exactly 10 miles per litre. Woohoo! :)

Bulldog.

manu1959
05-21-2007, 02:24 PM
Here's a nice UK-market 59MPG Chevvy for you...

http://www.chevrolet.co.uk/info/news_events/group_1_page_40.htm :)

Our gallons are a different size to yours, but we pay around 95pence per litre for Diesel. We desperately need the fuel economy with our fuel prices.

Bulldog.

eurpoean cars do not generally meet clean air or crash test standards for the US ..... all yall's standards are lower...

Bulldog
05-21-2007, 02:26 PM
Our clean air regs have been tightened up considerably over the past few years. I can't quote any specific figures off the top of my head though. :)

I believe that all of our motor vehicles have to comply with NCAP safety tests. I'm not sure how they compare to US standards.

Bulldog.

nevadamedic
05-21-2007, 02:28 PM
You missed the point entirely. Try staring at the comic until you get the point, then post a reply.

Don't tell him to do that, the poor guy will be staring at it for a year before he figures it out.

Bulldog
05-21-2007, 02:34 PM
And another slap-down for no apparent reason.

Bulldog.

darin
05-21-2007, 02:36 PM
My car is MUCH more fun than yours. :D

Hobbit
05-21-2007, 02:36 PM
And another slap-down for no apparent reason.

Bulldog.

It's only not apparant because you fail to grasp even the most basic point of the comic.

Bulldog
05-21-2007, 02:39 PM
We all see things differently, Hobbit.

There is a cultural divide between us. A lot of people on my side of the pond don't find American sitcoms funny. That doesn't mean they're not funny to you.

Can we just leave it there please?

Bulldog.

Monkeybone
05-21-2007, 02:48 PM
i can understand what you are saying Bull...and i think the point that Hobb was making (maybe, just stabbing in the dark here) was that all you had to do was look at it and read. nothing profound or hidden picture taht you have to cross your eyes to see. and it might be dif for us because our refineries just so happen to shut down for matience during one of our biggest travel times

stephanie
05-21-2007, 02:50 PM
We all see things differently, Hobbit.

There is a cultural divide between us. A lot of people on my side of the pond don't find American sitcoms funny. That doesn't mean they're not funny to you.

Can we just leave it there please?

Bulldog.

The straw in the cartoon, refers to the lack of refineries that we have...
And we seem to be stopped from building any,for one reason or another..
So, that causes our gas prices to go up, especially in the summer months..

Bulldog
05-21-2007, 02:54 PM
The straw in the cartoon, refers to the lack of refineries that we have...
And we seem to be stopped from building any,for one reason or another..
So, that causes our gas prices to go up, especially in the summer months..

Thanks Stephanie. :)

That's what I was referring to in my first post when I suggested a lack of infrastructure.

Yes. I do find it funny and I did laugh out loud. Not such a big cultural divide after all then. LOL

Bulldog.

stephanie
05-21-2007, 03:00 PM

That's what I was referring to in my first post when I suggested a lack of infrastructure.

Yes. I do find it funny and I did laugh out loud. Not such a big cultural divide after all then. LOL

Bulldog.

Ah ha..
I didn't equate...infrastructure as meaning..refinery...
Duh for me..

Bulldog
05-21-2007, 03:04 PM
No probs. :)

Thanks for taking the time to explain it.

Bulldog.

Kathianne
05-21-2007, 06:57 PM
Here's a pretty accurate demonstration of why gas is so expensive.

http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/payn070519_cmyk.jpg

Backing your cartoon up:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chi-ctf292umay20,0,4541505.story?coll=chi-newsopinionperspective-hed

Editorial

The good thing about gas prices
Advertisement

May 20, 2007

No, we don't expect you to like that headline.

Gas prices in Chicago are among the highest in the nation -- on Friday they averaged $3.54 for a gallon of regular. That was up 54 cents in just the last month. The average price in the nation for a gallon of regular went up a little more than a quarter in the last month, to $3.13.

Yet even as prices have risen, drivers have consumed more gasoline. In the first three months of 2007, demand in Illinois rose 3 percent over the same period last year. Drivers may have been shocked when gas jumped above $3 a gallon after Hurricane Katrina disrupted supplies, but they adjusted. They weren't happy consumers, but they were robust consumers.

Now, finally, there are some signs that consumption may be starting to level off. The first week in May saw the first indications of that.

And that's the good thing about gas prices today. Talk all you want about the need for a national energy policy. Our personal energy policy has been use more of it. The key to reducing U.S. consumption of oil, to stop being held economic hostage to the writhing Middle East, is to have enough incentive to use less gas. Maybe $3.54 a gallon will finally provide the incentive. Maybe it will have to be $3.75 a gallon. Or $4.

There are local and global causes for Chicago's 54 cent-a-gallon price spike. Oil prices, now above $60 a barrel, swoon and soar over every rumble in the Middle East, Venezuela, Nigeria and other oil-producing hot spots. Chicago prices have spiked even higher because of disruptions in the processing of crude oil into gasoline, coupled with the relentless demand for more gas.

Environmental policy has a role. It takes more crude oil to make the summer blends of gasoline that are required in metropolitan areas by federal law in an effort to reduce air pollution.

Sellers have to produce three summer blends in Illinois: one for the Chicago/Milwaukee/Northwest Indiana area, one for the St. Louis area and one for the rest of Illinois. It used to be four blends, but the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency cut it to three for this summer. That helps some, but it still means three blends in three different octane grades -- nine kinds of gas -- vying for limited refining capacity.

There was a fire at BP's giant installation in Whiting, Ind., in March. That barely made the news, but that fire knocked out the biggest refinery in the Midwest, which is still closed for repairs and maintenance. Normally, the Whiting refinery turns more than 400,000 barrels of oil a day into gasoline and other fuel products. Until it comes back on line later this summer, supplies here will be tighter than normal. Other refineries also have reduced capacity because of accidents or scheduled maintenance.

Also, you're paying more in taxes. Sales taxes escalate with the price of gas in Illinois. When the base price is $2 a gallon, the 9 percent total sales tax on gas in Chicago adds 18 cents. When gas is $3, the sales tax adds 27 cents.

High gas prices hurt, particularly people (such as taxicab drivers) for whom gasoline is a major personal or business expense. High prices are going to ripple through the economy (perhaps starting in Chicago with a surcharge for cabs) and not in comfortable ways.

But on a larger level, prices that have the effect of curbing demand -- of finally enticing people to use mass transit, to buy more fuel-efficient cars, to ride a bike when they can -- will help.

Not that that will make you feel better this weekend when you fill up, and up, and up.

And the hard part of being me, I just filled up at the bargain price of $3.47 at Costco:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-070521gas-prices,1,2182250.story

Chicago has highest gas prices in U.S.

The Associated Press

May 21, 2007, 5:50 AM CDT

Chicago now has the highest gasoline prices in the nation, according to a nationwide survey released Sunday.

The average price of self-serve regular gasoline hit a record high of $3.18, rising more than 11 cents over the past two weeks, according to the survey. But Chicago came out tops at $3.59 a gallon.

The latest national average figure topped the record of $3.07 set two weeks ago, which had been the highest price since the average cost of a gallon of gas hit $3.03 on Aug. 11, 2006, according to the Lundberg Survey of 7,000 gas stations across the country.

The latest price also beat the previous inflation-adjusted record of $3.15 per gallon in March 1981.

In the latest survey, a gallon of mid-grade gasoline averaged $3.29, and premium cost $3.40.

The lowest average price for regular fuel was $2.87 in Charleston, S.C.

In California, regular grade gasoline dropped 2 cents to $3.41.

Hobbit
05-21-2007, 10:25 PM

Bulldog.

Ok, small miscommunication there. The 'bloated consumer' part of the post was what drew my attention (just remember, we Americans have 2000 miles to cover to get from one coast to the other, and that doesn't count Alaska).

Sitarro
05-21-2007, 11:56 PM
Ok, small miscommunication there. The 'bloated consumer' part of the post was what drew my attention (just remember, we Americans have 2000 miles to cover to get from one coast to the other, and that doesn't count Alaska).

It is actually over 3000 miles from coast to coast.

There is something that we the public could do to show our power, make allies of numerous businesses and put a serious dent in the oil business and educate the asswipes on Wall Street......we could stay home this summer. Stay home this summer and spend the vacation money on your home. Build a pool, re-landscape, new carpets, do things that will last way beyond a vacation to an expensive distant place. If you have to do that crap, take a cruise, just don't drive. They count on us to do the same stupid things every year, surprise them. Redirect your spending to local economies doing something to better your own lives. Why don't people stay home anymore? Why go across the country to do basically the same you would do locally? Buy a couple of kayaks and take some family excursions around local bodies of water. Those vacation spots will be there next year once we have made a statement that gets some real attention. Take your vacation at home and go out every night.....movies, dinner, plays, games.....you will probably do basically the same thing on a vacation somewhere else so why not relax and do it at home?

Wait, how stupid of me that I could think that instead of bitching about gas prices we could do something that would not only save gas but also boost local economies...... the whole point of expensive vacations is to be able to brag to your friends about how much better your vacation was than theirs so of course nobody will do the logical thing, sorry for wasting your time. Go back to whining and being the ultimate in predictability

Bulldog
05-22-2007, 06:14 AM

S'ok! :)

I didn't mean any offence by the 'bloated consumer' part either, so I hope it wasn't taken that way.

The guy in the comic is considerably larger than the average Brit (poor underfed race that we are, LOL), so that kinda grabbed my attention too.

The vehicle I drive for a living (roughly 80,000 miles per year) is also larger than the UK average, so I wouldn't be in any position to go finger-pointing anyway. ;)

Bulldog.

Bulldog
05-22-2007, 06:17 AM
There is something that we the public could do to show our power, make allies of numerous businesses and put a serious dent in the oil business and educate the asswipes on Wall Street......we could stay home this summer. Stay home this summer and spend the vacation money on your home. Build a pool, re-landscape, new carpets, do things that will last way beyond a vacation to an expensive distant place. If you have to do that crap, take a cruise, just don't drive. They count on us to do the same stupid things every year, surprise them. Redirect your spending to local economies doing something to better your own lives. Why don't people stay home anymore? Why go across the country to do basically the same you would do locally? Buy a couple of kayaks and take some family excursions around local bodies of water. Those vacation spots will be there next year once we have made a statement that gets some real attention. Take your vacation at home and go out every night.....movies, dinner, plays, games.....you will probably do basically the same thing on a vacation somewhere else so why not relax and do it at home?

:clap:

Bulldog.