PDA

View Full Version : Aung Sang Suu Kyii Swears In for Parliament

Wind Song
05-01-2012, 10:40 PM
in Burma after 15 years of house arrest. She's one of my heroes! My real life friend, A. C. knows her personally.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17918414

gabosaurus
05-01-2012, 11:27 PM
I met Alanis Morissette once. :cool:

SassyLady
05-01-2012, 11:32 PM
I have a picture of my daughter with Ricky Nelson when she was four.

gabosaurus
05-01-2012, 11:34 PM
If Obama went to visit Aung San Suu Kyi, do you think they would eat dog together?

SassyLady
05-01-2012, 11:38 PM
I have a picture of my daughter with Care Bears On Fire! So there! :slap:

I also have pics of her with Tanya Tucker when she was 8 months old. And pics with Michael Martin Murphy when she was 10. She only remembers MMM of course, and absolutely loves his song "Wildfire" which he dedicated to her at a concert when she was 10.

LOL!! You probably don't even know who these people are.

logroller
05-01-2012, 11:40 PM
I stayed at a holiday inn express once.

gabosaurus
05-01-2012, 11:42 PM
Of course I know who Care Bears On Fire are. I took my daughter to see them. They promote positive self image in young girls.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BGnVmU7FwFk" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

SassyLady
05-01-2012, 11:42 PM
I stayed at a holiday inn express once.

Well, dang it, I thought you said it was a Motel 6, and I was impressed as hell about that. Now you've gone all "pinkies up" on me. :neener:

SassyLady
05-01-2012, 11:44 PM
Of course I know who Care Bears On Fire are. I took my daughter to see them. They promote positive self image in young girls.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BGnVmU7FwFk" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

I'm sure you know the Care Bears ... I meant you probably don't know who Ricky, Tanya and Michael are.....they are before your generation.

gabosaurus
05-01-2012, 11:45 PM
I'm sure you know the Care Bears ... I meant you probably don't know who Ricky, Tanya and Michael are.....they are before your generation.

Ahhh...you are right about that. Ozzie and Harriet were before my time.

SassyLady
05-01-2012, 11:47 PM
Ahhh...you are right about that. Ozzie and Harriet were before my time.

:beer:

logroller
05-02-2012, 12:28 AM
Well, dang it, I thought you said it was a Motel 6, and I was impressed as hell about that. Now you've gone all "pinkies up" on me. :neener:
Truth be told idrather sleep inthe bed of my pickup... What i meant was I'll leave the cargo light on for ya!

SassyLady
05-02-2012, 12:31 AM
Truth be told idrather sleep inthe bed of my pickup... What i meant was I'll leave the cargo light on for ya!

I'll meet you up on Panorama Drive! :hug99:

Wind Song
05-02-2012, 07:46 AM
Aung San Suu Kyi is on the same level as Nelson Mandela in terms of her service to her country.

Little-Acorn
05-02-2012, 10:43 AM
My sister was bitten by a moose once.

Wind Song
05-02-2012, 10:45 AM
No matter what ugly mocking posts you folks make, I will honor this woman's contribution to humanity. Aung San Suu Kyi is a hero.

DragonStryk72
05-02-2012, 10:54 AM
No matter what ugly mocking posts you folks make, I will honor this woman's contribution to humanity. Aung San Suu Kyi is a hero.

They weren't mocking you. They certainly got off topic (Guys, come on, focus.), and more than a bit pedantically silly (Monty Python, LA. really?), but they weren't actually mocking you.

Now to the OP. There isn't really much to debate here, she's seems pretty cool all around, and I'm always happy to see someone overcome oppression, but I just don't think there's anyone that's going to debate it at all.

From the OP article:

Opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi has been sworn in as a member of Burma's parliament, a month after her party's sweeping victory in by-elections.
She and members of her National League for Democracy (NLD) had initially refused to take part in a swearing-in ceremony due to the wording of an oath.

But on Monday they agreed to compromise, as UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon visited Burma. The ceremony marks the first time the Nobel laureate has held public office. Ms Suu Kyi told reporters after the ceremony that she and her fellow NLD lawmakers would "carry out our duties within the parliament as we have been carrying out our duties outside the parliament for the last 20 or so years".

She also said it did not "bother" her to sit with the military despite her long fight for democracy.

It's all well and good to see someone winning the fight for democracy in their home country, and moving to create greater positive change. I just don't know what there is to debate here. She did a good job, way to go.

Wind Song
05-02-2012, 10:57 AM
They weren't mocking you. They certainly got off topic (Guys, come on, focus.), and more than a bit pedantically silly (Monty Python, LA. really?), but they weren't actually mocking you.

Now to the OP. There isn't really much to debate here, she's seems pretty cool all around, and I'm always happy to see someone overcome oppression, but I just don't think there's anyone that's going to debate it at all.

From the OP article:

It's all well and good to see someone winning the fight for democracy in their home country, and moving to create greater positive change. I just don't know what there is to debate here. She did a good job, way to go.

Aung San Suu Kyi has to suck it up in order to be part of Parliament. She is doing so, not because the militaristic government is right. She spent 15 years on house arrest protesting, so she is made of steel. She does so out of love for the Burmese people. They want her in government, she wants to reform government.

There is plenty to debate and discuss but most folks on this thread were interested in one thing only. Make fun of Wind.

DragonStryk72
05-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Aung San Suu Kyi has to suck it up in order to be part of Parliament. She is doing so, not because the militaristic government is right. She spent 15 years on house arrest protesting, so she is made of steel. She does so out of love for the Burmese people. They want her in government, she wants to reform government.

There is plenty to debate and discuss but most folks on this thread were interested in one thing only. Make fun of Wind.

Pick out your name anywhere in any of their posts, or any comment clearly directed at you, and not just a flippant response.

Again, I'm not debating her accomplishments, nor is anyone else, anymore than I would debate Nelson Mandella's, Martin Luther King Jr.'s, or Ghandi's. She's a legitimate hero. There's nothing to debate, because there's no oppositional opinion. It's like if just you and me tried to "debate" gay marriage, there's just no point, because we agree.

I mean, I suppose if we got Agnapostate back, he could go off on one of his Anarchistic Communism rants, but he seems to have departed for good, to much relief all around.

tailfins
05-02-2012, 11:12 AM
I also have pics of her with Tanya Tucker when she was 8 months old.....

Was she already with Glen Cambell then?:slap:

Wind Song
05-02-2012, 11:16 AM
Pick out your name anywhere in any of their posts, or any comment clearly directed at you, and not just a flippant response.

Again, I'm not debating her accomplishments, nor is anyone else, anymore than I would debate Nelson Mandella's, Martin Luther King Jr.'s, or Ghandi's. She's a legitimate hero. There's nothing to debate, because there's no oppositional opinion. It's like if just you and me tried to "debate" gay marriage, there's just no point, because we agree.

I mean, I suppose if we got Agnapostate back, he could go off on one of his Anarchistic Communism rants, but he seems to have departed for good, to much relief all around.

Fine. I accept this topic wasn't popular with this forum. Most of the things I'm interested in, don't appear to interest many others.

Gaffer
05-02-2012, 12:04 PM

Agna joined the Marines. Ironic isn't it? I think he'll be back occasionally after all his training is done. He's already completed boot.

Wind Song
05-02-2012, 12:10 PM
Please post anything you like besides the topic of Aung San Suu Kyi.:thumb:

tailfins
05-02-2012, 12:21 PM
Please post anything you like besides the topic of Aung San Suu Kyi.:thumb:

I will take Las Damas de Blanco any day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gUUnJwhN8A

Wind Song
05-02-2012, 12:22 PM
Whatever.

I really don't fit here.

tailfins
05-02-2012, 12:26 PM
Whatever.

I really don't fit here.

You fit here constantly. You throw a fit on a regular basis.

DragonStryk72
05-02-2012, 12:31 PM
Fine. I accept this topic wasn't popular with this forum. Most of the things I'm interested in, don't appear to interest many others.

It isn't a matter of popularity. For instance, your Women artists you love thread actually got hits, because there were variant view points. I was actually having a good time with that thread. There just isn't much to talk about here, since there's no one around who reads the article and has an honestly opposing view. You're right, she's a great person, and should be legitimately celebrated for her accomplishments, and that makes it hard to debate.

Is there something particular about her experiences you wanted to debate, as opposed to just her general success?

DragonStryk72
05-02-2012, 12:32 PM
Agna joined the Marines. Ironic isn't it? I think he'll be back occasionally after all his training is done. He's already completed boot.

Hopefully, they'll beat the fail from him

Wind Song
05-02-2012, 12:47 PM
You fit here constantly. You throw a fit on a regular basis.

Yes, I do throw fits. That doesn't mean I'm a good match for this forum. Quite the opposite.

Wind Song
05-02-2012, 12:49 PM
It isn't a matter of popularity. For instance, your Women artists you love thread actually got hits, because there were variant view points. I was actually having a good time with that thread. There just isn't much to talk about here, since there's no one around who reads the article and has an honestly opposing view. You're right, she's a great person, and should be legitimately celebrated for her accomplishments, and that makes it hard to debate.

Is there something particular about her experiences you wanted to debate, as opposed to just her general success?

I wanted to debate the idea of politicians doing what is politically expediant versus sticking to your guns. Aung San Suu Kyi chose to sign in to Parliament even though that meant buying into the militaristic government she opposes.

Those are the kinds of moral decisions that politicians make. IN the long run, it isn't clear whether that will further the people's interests or weaken her and her party.

Trigg
05-02-2012, 03:00 PM
I wanted to debate the idea of politicians doing what is politically expediant versus sticking to your guns. Aung San Suu Kyi chose to sign in to Parliament even though that meant buying into the militaristic government she opposes.

Those are the kinds of moral decisions that politicians make. IN the long run, it isn't clear whether that will further the people's interests or weaken her and her party.

Than I would suggest posting the original piece and then the above sentence. That way instead of expecting people read your mind, and then complaining when they don't, you get to debate.

Wind Song
05-02-2012, 03:19 PM
Than I would suggest posting the original piece and then the above sentence. That way instead of expecting people read your mind, and then complaining when they don't, you get to debate.

Yes, that's a good idea. I doubt it would have made any difference since most of the people came here to mock me instead of addressing the topic.

Trigg
05-02-2012, 03:24 PM
Yes, that's a good idea. I doubt it would have made any difference since most of the people came here to mock me instead of addressing the topic.

don't you get tired of hosting your pitty parties every day?

We have other liberals on the board. People are happy to debate when they know what they are debating.

Wind Song
05-02-2012, 03:27 PM
People are happy to debate when they know what they are debating.

You made a good suggestion. I'm telling YOU that the folks who commented on this thread weren't in the slightest bit interested in the topic.

Trigg
05-02-2012, 03:32 PM
You made a good suggestion. I'm telling YOU that the folks who commented on this thread weren't in the slightest bit interested in the topic.

that is because they didn't think there was anything to debate. You didn't mention anything you wanted to talk about, so things got off topic. I'm sure you've noticed, that happens a lot around here.

restate your topic, stop with the self pitty and wait for someone to respond

SassyLady
05-02-2012, 03:35 PM
that is because they didn't think there was anything to debate. You didn't mention anything you wanted to talk about, so things got off topic. I'm sure you've noticed, that happens a lot around here.

restate your topic, stop with the self pitty and wait for someone to respond
I thought she was trying to impress with who she rubs elbows with so I responded to what she said by stating I know famous people too.

jimnyc
05-02-2012, 03:46 PM

I'm interested in Auld Lang Syne! Isn't that the song we sing on NYE?

Wind Song
05-02-2012, 04:02 PM
I'm interested in Auld Lang Syne! Isn't that the song we sing on NYE?

Good one. Keep the game goin' Jim. I've completely given up talking about anything in the world that matters to me.

Let's sing Auld Lang Syne and have a few.

jimnyc
05-02-2012, 04:03 PM
Beef and Broccoli, an eggroll, a pint of wonton soup and a coke. And make it snappy!

Wind Song
05-02-2012, 04:04 PM
Beef and Broccoli, an eggroll, a pint of wonton soup and a coke. And make it snappy!

Enjoy. I'm done. Let's have chinese and forget all about Burma. Who cares about those people anyway?

jimnyc
05-02-2012, 04:07 PM
Enjoy. I'm done. Let's have chinese and forget all about Burma. Who cares about those people anyway?

你也許是這個星球上最愚蠢的人

Free rep to whoever can translate! :beer: :laugh:

tailfins
05-02-2012, 04:17 PM
你也許是這個星球上最愚蠢的人

Free rep to whoever can translate! :beer: :laugh:

你也許是這個星球上最愚蠢的人 = You may be the most stupid person on this planet.

Wind Song
05-02-2012, 04:21 PM
You may be the meanest.

tailfins
05-02-2012, 04:29 PM
I prefer to give serious consideration to posts, so here goes:

Aung San Suu Kyii was the daughter of the founder of the Communist Party of Burma:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aung_San

I can always choose to ground your posts into the dirt instead of ridiculing them. Why do you lean towards promoting Communists? Just asking.

Wind Song
05-02-2012, 04:31 PM
I prefer to give serious consideration to posts, so here goes:

Aung San Suu Kyii was the daughter of the Communist Party of Burma:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aung_San

I can always choose to ground your posts into the dirt instead of ridiculing them. Why do you lean toward promoting Communists? Just asking.

Why do you make generalizatios about my views and criticize me when I do it to you? I don't "lean toward promoting Communists". It was Chinese communists who invaded Tibet and committed genocide on Tibetan Buddhists.

Tibetan Buddhism is my chosen path.

Aung San Suu Kyi is the democracy icon in Burma. She is a winner of the Nobel Peace Prize. She is a Buddhist, not a communist.

jimnyc
05-02-2012, 04:36 PM
你也許是這個星球上最愚蠢的人 = You may be the most stupid person on this planet.

Did you cheat with Google translate like I did? :laugh: Rep granted!

Wind Song
05-02-2012, 04:37 PM
Jim,

Don't you have someplace else to play?

tailfins
05-02-2012, 04:37 PM
Aung San Suu Kyi is the democracy icon in Burma. She is a winner of the Nobel Peace Prize. She is a Buddhist, not a communist.

Cannot one be both? I will quote Ben Franklin regarding what democracy is:

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

jimnyc
05-02-2012, 04:38 PM
Jim,

Don't you have someplace else to play?

咬我的球

tailfins
05-02-2012, 04:40 PM
Did you cheat with Google translate like I did? :laugh: Rep granted!

It's not cheating when there is no stated rule against it. The only foreign languages I speak are Spanish and Portuguese and a little bit of Quebecker French.

jimnyc
05-02-2012, 04:43 PM
It's not cheating when there is no stated rule against it. The only foreign languages I speak are Spanish and Portuguese and a little bit of Quebecker French.

I eat some of those foods, does that count? And I own a Chihuahua, so I'm part Mexican. And he likes to, emmm... "take care of" my other dog. To be blunt, they are homosexuals, I've seen it with my own eyes. I feel as if I'm one with the gay community now!

tailfins
05-02-2012, 04:59 PM
I eat some of those foods, does that count? And I own a Chihuahua, so I'm part Mexican. And he likes to, emmm... "take care of" my other dog. To be blunt, they are homosexuals, I've seen it with my own eyes. I feel as if I'm one with the gay community now!

That only counts if you are running for the US Senate here in Massachusetts and you want an affirmative action preference.