PDA

View Full Version : Why Buddhism Works For Buddhists

Wind Song
05-02-2012, 12:01 PM
It's the middle path. Lean one way, and you're a moralising busybody. Lean the other way, and you're an enabler. Nowhere is that seen more clearly than in political debate. It's a mistake to assume that all judging is bad, which in itself is a judgment. Not judging others means not judging them for being judgmental.
Judgment is what we add to discernment when we make a comparison between how things or people are and how we think they ought to be. So, in judgment, there’s dissatisfaction with the way things are and a desire to have things be the way we want them to be.

How to get the point across without wagging your finger at someone and telling them they're wrong? How to speak the truth of one's experience from the heart without blaming others?

I'm asking this question because I'm learning how to do this, and I haven't had good teachers.

tailfins
05-02-2012, 12:15 PM
It's the middle path. Lean one way, and you're a moralising busybody. Lean the other way, and you're an enabler. Nowhere is that seen more clearly than in political debate. It's a mistake to assume that all judging is bad, which in itself is a judgment. Not judging others means not judging them for being judgmental.
Judgment is what we add to discernment when we make a comparison between how things or people are and how we think they ought to be. So, in judgment, there’s dissatisfaction with the way things are and a desire to have things be the way we want them to be.

How to get the point across without wagging your finger at someone and telling them they're wrong? How to speak the truth of one's experience from the heart without blaming others?

I'm asking this question because I'm learning how to do this, and I haven't had good teachers.

I will let the Louvin Brothers say it for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czLceBSD7Cc

05-03-2012, 01:23 AM
Thought you were done with buddhism.

BTW If i had answers for your questions, Id give them to you, but im still trying to figure it all out myself.

DragonStryk72
05-03-2012, 01:56 AM

Hitler was an artist. Seriously, I realize this seems like it's a well known fact, but that's not why I mention it. He was an artist, all he wanted in the beginning was to attend art school. And apparently, he was a good husband with a wife who loved him. Sure, he was also a genocidal maniac who murdered more than six million people and burned half of Europe, but which one is the real Hitler? The answer is both and neither. Neither man is the real Hitler, it is only when combined that we get a fuller vision of who he was. Even the worst that humanity has to offer still have redeeming qualities, and this needs to be kept in mind pretty much everywhere.

Lesson 1: The Only True Wisdom Is Knowing You Know Nothing -Socrates

It's fine to let off steam, as long as it is done in a manner that doesn't harm others. No one here is saying you can't get angry, or have residual anger from prior experiences. It's learning to channel and release that anger that is the key. You need to find an outlet for this rage that you're holding onto, because it is holding you back from not only your own growth, but from learning the world around you. It isn't about finding new ways of saying things, or just stepping away for 24 hours, you have to actually learn how to let go of this anger you hold within yourself, and political debate ain't the way to go.

Do stuff that is fun, or funny, without any other higher purpose. You never post anything that's just silly fun. Even I had my minecraft posts. Have fun, you'll find that it really does help make things a deal better.

darin
05-03-2012, 05:04 AM
Why is being 'moderate' somehow praised? Why are folks who can't take a stand somehow 'above' folks with fortitude-enough to go against the grain.

Wind Song
05-03-2012, 10:36 PM
Why is being 'moderate' somehow praised? Why are folks who can't take a stand somehow 'above' folks with fortitude-enough to go against the grain.

Great question. Being moderate certainly isn't my problem.

Wind Song
05-03-2012, 10:37 PM
Thought you were done with buddhism.

BTW If i had answers for your questions, Id give them to you, but im still trying to figure it all out myself.

I worked it out.